BajaNomad

Looking for builders in La Ventana

windsurf14 - 6-22-2014 at 09:34 AM

Thanks in advance for any info the great Baja Nomad group can provide.

I am retiring in a week and I figure it’s now or never to build on my property in La Ventana. My wife and I both seem to think we have 10 more years of an active lifestyle.

My house will be on the lower end of the price scale, so I'm looking for a builder that can work with me on making it happen
I plan on being down in Ventana during construction. I will probably park my RV on my property(I already have water, power and septic).

Anyone with personal references, it would be great to hear from you.

I do have a bid package I put together.

Thanks again

Chris

durrelllrobert - 6-22-2014 at 11:36 AM

Just make sure that your "bid package" includes the following SIGNED statement:
"The contractor / builder agrees that he/ she will provide all materials, labor and all necessary equipment / tools to complete the project EXACTLY as specified on the construction plans. All request for changes, additions and/ or additional money will not be honored."

[El contratista / constructor acepta que le va a dar todos los materiales, mano de obra y todo el equipo necesario / herramientas para completar el proyecto exactamente como se especifica en los planos de construcción. Toda solicitud de cambios, adiciones o dinero adicional no se aceptarán.]

__________________ ____________________ ________
Owner Builder date

____________________ _________
Witness date

If your drawings/ specifications do not detail everything you want the builder to accomplish I can help you with these. Contact me at durrellrobert@yahoo.com

Read First

bajaguy - 6-22-2014 at 12:01 PM

Required reading BEFORE you build in Baja

http://tinyurl.com/nd9hawa

monoloco - 6-22-2014 at 01:58 PM

Just remember: you get what you pay for. Cheapest is usually not the best, Mexican contractors are notorious for under-bidding a project to get the job, then demanding more money to complete it. Don't make the mistake of believing that you will be protected by a contract, in Mexico contracts are not worth the paper they're written on because if you seek a legal remedy, it will take at least 10 years to get through the system, and you are unlikely to collect any damages even if you win. Look for someone with a good reputation and lots of references, then pay them in small increments. I prefer to pay for my own materials, and contract the labor on a weekly basis, it makes it easier to track costs, and fire the contractor if he is not living up to my standards.

magdalena1 - 12-5-2014 at 01:40 PM

Hey Chris,
Have you already started building or built already? If youre still looking for contractors, give Kelly a call. He builds with ICF- way better insulation than concrete block, plus hurricane-rated! He's building (obra negra) my grandma's place at a very reasonable rate. Cell 612 158-9854. Hez Canadian, so speaks English! Good luck!
Mag1