BajaNomad

An open letter to whoever has the final say around here

Santiago - 6-29-2014 at 11:04 AM

OK, maybe it's "whomever", it gets a little murky.

Recently, it is getting more and more likely that I will not bother to get 'caught up' on various threads. Not because the thread itself is uninteresting, it's the fact that I have to wade thru pages, and I really do mean pages, of complete drivel to find nuggets of info germane to the topic.
I take a certain amount of pride in never having watched a reality TV show, but I remember when folks at the office would talk about somebody getting voted off the island now and then.
I'll take the risk that the highest vote getter would be me if I can just cast mine.
Anyone else getting to this point?

SFandH - 6-29-2014 at 11:33 AM

The ability to designate users that you don't want to see posts from would be good and easy to do.

It would be especially good for elvis's repetitive, childish posts of large images. They simply wouldn't be there if you selected to ignore his posts.

[Edited on 6-29-2014 by SFandH]

dwedeking - 6-29-2014 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
The ability to designate users that you don't want to see posts from would be good and easy to do.

It would be especially good for elvis's repetitive, childish posts of large images. They simply wouldn't be there if you selected to ignore his posts.

This

DENNIS - 6-29-2014 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Anyone else getting to this point?

Yes. When the majority of attention is aimed at BS rather than Baja, the whole thing loses meaning.

BajaRat - 6-29-2014 at 12:19 PM

It feels like forced, subliminal advertising when you see the same thing over and over again.
We get it. Please at least keep it fresh and relevant. :cool:

durrelllrobert - 6-29-2014 at 12:26 PM

I'm not going to contribute to this. OOOPs I just did. Sorry

Kgryfon - 6-29-2014 at 12:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, this. I got added to his "list" simply for asking if this option was available, and insulted by being called a "dumpster diver." You may now get the same abuse for asking this simple question, too! While he has the right to post whatever, I also should have the right to not be subjected to his drivel.

DENNIS - 6-29-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
I also should have the right to not be subjected to his drivel.

It's not just "him." It's an overall disinterest with Baja and too much emphasis on sparring and confrontation by some who have nothing to do with the place anyway.
I don't get it. Maybe we need Hose-A here to kick some butt.

Hook - 6-29-2014 at 02:20 PM

Quote:

I dont think it's that easy to do. It's either in the message board software or it isn't. I think this is pretty old software.

weebray - 6-29-2014 at 02:37 PM

Nothing wrong here a little speed reading can't cure. A quick skim of the post is usually enough to size up the drift of it. Move on, you don't have to eat the whole egg to know it's rotten. There are also people you will get to know so to speak....... I just don't read their stuff. Some people don't read my stuff, that's cool with me.

DENNIS - 6-29-2014 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

I dont think it's that easy to do. It's either in the message board software or it isn't. I think this is pretty old software.

We shouldn't have to be avoiding anyone anyway. Our recent fiasco was beyond childish....and it just kept getting worse. :fire:

SFandH - 6-29-2014 at 03:23 PM

PHP, MySql, a couple of include files containing the new code, small changes to existing code to include the new code, presto - chango finished.

Yeah, I know it's not all that simple, but I can imagine it.

BajaGringo - 6-29-2014 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
I believe you're oversimplifying. It might take the forum developers several (?!) hours to make the necessary modifications to their code base (which I personally think they should do).

On revisiting this:

1) Looks like XMB is no longer developed or supported, so the worry of XMB updates overwriting local mods may be moot.

2) Doug, there's already ignore code set up for the U2U system, meaning that it might not be hard to piggyback off that if it were acceptable for U2U ignores to also apply to thread display (that would be TOTALLY acceptable for me as a forum user, if that were the only way to achieve an ignore function).

Might be a case of just grabbing some of the U2U display code and including it in the thread display SELECT code...?

Man, if you could pull that off without a lot of effort, that would be a major improvement to the environment here... :bounce:

SFandH - 6-29-2014 at 03:42 PM

Two major components for the modification.

1. Modify viewthread.php to display or not display a user's post based upon a query to a new table, call it "user_ignore".

The table's fields would contain the logged in user id and the ignored user's id.

2. A new page in the user profile to add, modify, and delete records in the "user_ignore" table. Simple SQL statements based upon a form submission. The form would contain a select box displaying usernames to ignore.

The tricky part would be to not display posts created by the ignored user that are quoted by a non-ignored user. That could be done with regular expressions in the new display logic in viewthread.php

I think that would cover it.

I could do it, but, hey, I'm retired. :tumble:

SFandH - 6-29-2014 at 03:53 PM

No problem amigo, string manipulation using regular expressions, maybe even simple built-in PHP string functions. Find the offending part and delete it.

SFandH - 6-29-2014 at 04:10 PM

In fact, the first thing I would do is visit PHP user group websites and look to see if someone else hasn't already done this. 50-50 chance the wheel has already been invented.

BooJumMan - 6-29-2014 at 04:14 PM

I feel that we need to ban drinking and posting. Maybe need to blow into a breathalyzer that attaches to the computer??

I would say that 75% of the threads make no sense to me. hahha.

SFandH - 6-29-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No problem amigo, string manipulation using regular expressions, maybe even simple string functions. Find the offending part and delete it.
I understand HOW it could be done, but the difference in resource impact between MySQL SELECTS on indexed tables for WHICH articles should be displayed, (extremely efficient) and manipulation of the content within each of those articles as it is displayed, could really impact the responsiveness of the forum (which is sometimes marginal as it is).

Have you seen forum software which does this?

I don't think today's hardware would have a problem with this. In fact I've done similar things and I stopped working 5 years ago. We're talking strings here. Today's hardware, what you're typing on now, can decompress and display high def video in real time. I'm sure bajanomads server can handle it.

But you may be right.

I'm sure I could write code that would really slow up things. ;D

I'd bet any latency in this website is due to the Internet, especially considering the relatively small number of users.

I think I've seen forum software that does this, not sure tho.

David K - 6-29-2014 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
I feel that we need to ban drinking and posting. Maybe need to blow into a breathalyzer that attaches to the computer??

I would say that 75% of the threads make no sense to me. hahha.
:light:

Bajaboy - 6-29-2014 at 05:08 PM

I'm thinking Santiago is a little sensitive...you know, being a Giants fan and all....help someone get them a glass of water, I think they are choking....

David K - 6-29-2014 at 05:23 PM

Jim, just pick threads that sound interesting and ignore the others. There is still far too many great posts and posters here to allow the few who live off drama to chase you off.

I have and still do sometimes get pulled in on some off topic stuff, but that's because I am human and allow it to affect me, lol.

There is a point where it is just too crazy to bother with... and that happened on the Jailed Marine thread and the Gary Patton thread... I just don't bother looking at them (much) anymore. Too bad... but, that doesn't stop you from posting a new one. Doug isn't in any rush to stop these, as I guess it increases traffic to this site, and maybe helps pay the bill to keep Nomad online?

Let's (at least) just keep posting trip reports, as they are the most value to Baja travelers, in my opinion.

Thank you!

BajaRat - 6-29-2014 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Jim, just pick threads that sound interesting and ignore the others. There is still far too many great posts and posters here to allow the few who live off drama to chase you off.

I have and still do sometimes get pulled in on some off topic stuff, but that's because I am human and allow it to affect me, lol.

Now now David..........
Innocents is reserved for children :lol:

chuckie - 6-29-2014 at 05:41 PM

Just don't read it....How hard is that?

Santiago - 6-29-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I'm thinking Santiago is a little sensitive...you know, being a Giants fan and all....help someone get them a glass of water, I think they are choking....

I did say that the June swoon was coming. My partner saw Timmy throw the no-hitter but other than that, its been a brutal June.
Now back to the subject at hand. Somehow my question has turned into a coding lesson that is straining my understanding having struggled thru Fortran 4 and Basic. Next semester was Advanced Basic which just seemed ridiculous so I bailed.
However, if you guys can figure it out and Doug's cool with it, ;,,I'd effing pay for the privilege.
Oh, I have a great idea. Next to our dopey avatars will be a percentage that reflects how many folks have 'x' us out. I'm willing to bet that Lizard Lips would be a big fat zero.
By the way, "My Partner" refers to my business partner in case some of you might be wondering. Not that there is anything the matter with that.

Bajaboy - 6-29-2014 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

I did say that the June swoon was coming. My partner saw Timmy throw the no-hitter but other than that, its been a brutal June.
Now back to the subject at hand. Somehow my question has turned into a coding lesson that is straining my understanding having struggled thru Fortran 4 and Basic. Next semester was Advanced Basic which just seemed ridiculous so I bailed.
However, if you guys can figure it out and Doug's cool with it, ;,,I'd effing pay for the privilege.
Oh, I have a great idea. Next to our dopey avatars will be a percentage that reflects how many folks have 'x' us out. I'm willing to bet that Lizard Lips would be a big fat zero.
By the way, "My Partner" refers to my business partner in case some of you might be wondering. Not that there is anything the matter with that.

I get your post Jim. I think a number of posters here have too much time on their hands. We've talked before about the good old days but I think they are gone. I still have plenty of adventures on my trips...including the one I'm currently enjoying. I find myself sharing my trips with a select few rather than dealing with some of the crap that goes on here. By the way, I had some good turtle soup last weekend...but I'll keep that to myself...:o

chuckie - 6-29-2014 at 05:55 PM

Wiles - 6-29-2014 at 06:24 PM

Just like Baja, it's all good, well most of the time.

BornFisher - 6-29-2014 at 07:33 PM

This is just silly. To the powers that be, ignore the cry-babies.

mulegemichael - 6-29-2014 at 07:46 PM

boy, did this get complicated..at least for me, it did......and what "recent fiasco" are you referring to, dennis....seems to me, there's quite a mix of "fiascos" in the blender...enlighten, por favor.

DENNIS - 6-29-2014 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
boy, did this get complicated..at least for me, it did......and what "recent fiasco" are you referring to, dennis....seems to me, there's quite a mix of "fiascos" in the blender...enlighten, por favor.

The jailed Marine thread. I can't even describe it, Mike. You're lucky you missed it.

mulegemichael - 6-29-2014 at 07:53 PM

no.....i didn't.....i just stopped reading after awhile....oh boy!...and now i watched part of the "shallow grave" family tonite on cnn....oh boy!....tell me a fairy tale..anything, please.

chuckie - 6-29-2014 at 08:57 PM

Take two fiascos, and call me in the morning....

SFandH - 6-30-2014 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Doug isn't in any rush to stop these, as I guess it increases traffic to this site, and maybe helps pay the bill to keep Nomad online?

Good point. Maybe it's true that the wackiest threads bring in the most advertising pennies.

BajaLuna - 6-30-2014 at 11:04 AM

I get ya too, Santiago!

exactly Bajaboy! Some people just have way too much time on their hands and it seems to me there are some others who just like to create drama to amuse and entertain themselves with, at the expense of others.

There is so much great info on BN, and some awesome people, but there sure are a few who taint it. It's disheartening to think of the great info that doesn't get shared on here because people may be put off for fear of being attacked, or newcomers who may have a lot to offer these boards but shy away.

I agree, just ignore it, however many great and informative posts go astray and take on a life of their own and not in a good way....and granted high-jacking happens in any forum and many times there is good info in the high-jack too...but it's really ashame when the overall vibe of the posts shifts into something really quite icky and very negative.

I appreciate all the great info I receive here, but HOLY MOLY some people are just DRAMA, or love playing devil's advocate or are just antagonistic til the bitter end and/or thrive on needing attention to stroke their ego.

Like DavidK says..."there's a point where it's just too crazy to bother with".

mcfez - 7-1-2014 at 02:05 PM

I think that there are some here that feels that the repetitive posting that is going on (and it has been done in the past) takes their freedom of expression away. Freedom to say what one wishes to say.

Just saying something against the flow will get retorts for sure...but the school yard bullying and the undertone threats...repetitive postings is ......working.

If enough of you speak out right about your displeasures of these negative actions....something will be done about it.

You think David is bad in here? It's nutz in the Off Topics :-)

Regardless.....thank you Doug for giving us this free Baja Forum.

chuckie - 7-1-2014 at 04:41 PM

I looked over there and it seems that what he posts is no worse than the filth and garbage posted by you and a couple of others...The whole thing is shameful...

greengoes - 7-1-2014 at 04:50 PM

mcfez - 7-1-2014 at 06:29 PM

See.....you got guys like you that throw the negatives all over here. Yoiur retort was the exact stuff that nobody wants to read in the BN...(bnot is locked away with a password) I keep my "garbage" in the the BNOT. Seems that you dont.

You are part of the "The whole thing is shameful".

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I looked over there and it seems that what he posts is no worse than the filth and garbage posted by you and a couple of others...The whole thing is shameful...

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by mcfez]

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-2-2014 at 04:39 AM

motoged - 7-2-2014 at 01:52 PM

Geez.....can't get away from childish cartoons anymore.....this elvis guy has a bad habit :no: :barf:

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-2-2014 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Geez.....can't get away from childish cartoons anymore.....this elvis guy has a bad habit :no: :barf:

Here is an avatar I made for you Motoged. I release this one avatar to you free of copyright restrictions.

PS: With all that vomiting your doing please drink Gatorade or some other drink with electrolytes so you don't dehydrate. I like you and wish you a speedy recovery.

motoged - 7-2-2014 at 03:29 PM

Yah, whatever.....:rolleyes:

chuckie - 7-2-2014 at 03:54 PM

;D;D;D