BajaNomad

Surf Craft Exhibition at the Mengei

elgatoloco - 7-5-2014 at 12:03 AM

http://www.mingei.org/exhibition/surf-craft/

Fantastic exhibition on Surf Craft at The Mingei in Balboa Park.
Lots of interesting stuff to see in regards to evolution of . My 89 year old father surfed northern Baja and The Tijuana sloughs in the late 40's on a Bob Simmons designed balsa wood board.

The Mingei also currently has on display an exhibition of masks from all over the world including Mexico. Its a great little museum and a short side trip on the way to or from Baja and a nice place to visit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Art of the World. Art of the People.

Mingei International Museum preserves and exhibits folk art, craft and design from all eras and cultures of the world. Mingei celebrates human creativity, and the belief that everyday object and materials that often serve a useful purpose can also be objects of beauty. Art can happen anywhere… in any culture, in any place, created by any person."

Ateo - 7-5-2014 at 06:28 AM

Yeah gato, heard about this last week. I wanna go. Once I get off this ugly atrocity called a cruise ship, I plan on going.

The names Carl Ekstrom and Richard Kenvin are enough motivation to go.

El Jefe - 7-5-2014 at 10:23 AM

Will go for sure when we go up for a summer visit! My daughter lives on Banker's Hill one block from the park.

Mexitron - 7-5-2014 at 12:28 PM

I wonder if some of Loren Harrison's boards are in the collection---I remember seeing his barn in the late 60s, full of amazing old surfboards.

elgatoloco - 7-6-2014 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I wonder if some of Loren Harrison's boards are in the collection---I remember seeing his barn in the late 60s, full of amazing old surfboards.

No Loren Harrison's in this exhibition. I have two boards in my 'collection' that were built in Loren's barn. One is from my father. My dad was lugging his big balsa down to the beach and saw Loren with a new foam board and asked if he would make him one, Loren told my dad "come to my barn and I will show you how to make your own" so that's what my dad did. My dad surfed that board in Baja for years. Growing up at Doheny and San O we spent a lot of time in and around that house and barn. Loren Harrison and his wife Cecilia had a big influence on many people including my whole family. He would show up at our house in Baja with his surfboard, ukulele and palm frond hat and everybody had a good time. He had a remarkable life and surfed right up to the end. We should all be so lucky.