BajaNomad

alert alert BCS

bajajudy - 7-24-2014 at 07:30 AM

Squall with60mph winds just hit .
Edit to fix title...not too good with the keyboard on Jim's iPhone and I wanted to get this alert out

[Edited on 7-24-2014 by bajajudy]

bill erhardt - 7-24-2014 at 07:45 AM

Judy....What time this morning did the wind come up in San Jose?

DENNIS - 7-24-2014 at 07:58 AM

A low pressure system located about 1550 miles southwest of the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula has changed little overnight. Environmental conditions appear conducive for development, and this system is expected to become a tropical depression during the next day or two while it moves westward or west-northwestward at about 10 mph. * Formation chance through 48 hours...high...80 percent. * Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

http://www.cyclocane.com/hurricane-forecast/

shari - 7-24-2014 at 07:58 AM

wow that storm cell looks rather formidable...any other rain or wind reports from the Cape this morning or is the internet down?

Hook - 7-24-2014 at 08:30 AM

We now have water in the low 90s in the Sea up here. So, if a storm manages to thread the needle and come up here, or if it crosses the peninsula and enters the Sea, it will find very favorable conditions for re-formation.

We are already about 2 inches over the amount of rain we got last year in San Carlos.........and our two rainiest months have yet to arrive!

That is one nasty looking cell of San Jose del Cabo.............

bill erhardt - 7-24-2014 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
A low pressure system located about 1550 miles southwest of the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula has changed little overnight. Environmental conditions appear conducive for development, and this system is expected to become a tropical depression during the next day or two while it moves westward or west-northwestward at about 10 mph. * Formation chance through 48 hours...high...80 percent. * Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

http://www.cyclocane.com/hurricane-forecast/

This system has nothing to do with the chabosco Judy is reporting.

Shari.....My Internet in Loreto has been intermittent. I imagine the reason Judy is quiet is because she has lost hers

Hook - 7-24-2014 at 08:40 AM

Beginning to look like La Paz may take the brunt of this. PWS reporting some rain but no real wind in the SJdC area right now.

Dang, not a single PWS in La Paz on Wunderground.

Bill Collector - 7-24-2014 at 08:40 AM

Just got power back on at 9 am it was down for 3 hrs here in Buena Vista. Its been a nasty storm so far, 1 inch of rain and still raining. Good news the winds are letting up. Our boat is just sitting out there bobbing up and down.

pacsur - 7-24-2014 at 08:41 AM

9:40am- San Jose del Cabo
Power out for couple of hours now, Internet working, power also out in Los Barilles.
Planes just started landing.
Clouds, light rain, and light winds at the moment.

bill erhardt - 7-24-2014 at 08:44 AM

Friends left SJdC at midnight headed around the cape and north on the outside to Mag Bay. I imagine they are taking it on the chin.

Katiejay99 - 7-24-2014 at 08:54 AM

Sporadic light rain in Todos Santos. Rolling thunder and some wind.

DaGreen - 7-24-2014 at 09:01 AM

Good lightning show over Punta Arena this morning starting 8:00 Am. Currently over LaVentana with thunder and rain.

Hook - 7-24-2014 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Friends left SJdC at midnight headed around the cape and north on the outside to Mag Bay. I imagine they are taking it on the chin.

WOW, not good! Trawler type speeds?

Russ - 7-24-2014 at 09:07 AM

Watch here to see this fast moving storm. I've alerted folks here to keep a watch for a storm. Not sure if it will make it here but it is already cloudy and down to 91º and 85% hum.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/flash-rb.html

[Edited on 7-24-2014 by Russ]

bajajudy - 7-24-2014 at 09:15 AM

Power just came back on
We lost all of the tarps and shade cloth in our courtyard. Mangos and limes on the ground
Didn't get too much rain but it looks like more coming
Quite a wake up call, scarey to watch on sat after the fact

bajajudy - 7-24-2014 at 09:17 AM

I forgot
72, cloudy, sprinkles
Lotsa trees down.

bajajudy - 7-24-2014 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Judy....What time this morning did the wind come up in San Jose?
7:30

bill erhardt - 7-24-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

They were planning on 18 - 20 hours which would put them into Bahia Santa Maria some time after 6:00 this evening. About the only place to tuck in earlier is the Entrada thirty miles or so south of BSM.

micah202 - 7-24-2014 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

They were planning on 18 - 20 hours which would put them into Bahia Santa Maria some time after 6:00 this evening. About the only place to tuck in earlier is the Entrada thirty miles or so south of BSM.

...sometimes it's a lot better to stay at sea than 'tuck in' especially once a storm hits

...good wishes to all,,especially all the panga fishers with no vhf,,,no warning!

[Edited on 7-24-2014 by micah202]

rhintransit - 7-24-2014 at 10:06 AM

heavy winds hit Nopolo about 15 minutes ago. still gusting hard.

Mula - 7-24-2014 at 10:07 AM

Really a grey dark day in Lopez.
83 degrees and 70% humidity.

Like the calm before the storm.

dtbushpilot - 7-24-2014 at 10:21 AM

My luck, I decided to go fishing this morning. Word was that tuna were close in down south so we had to leave early for a chance at getting bait. We could see a big system brewing to the south with lots of lightening but it was calm at the La Ribera marina so we decided to get going and see what we would find. It gave me confidence that I had 2 seasoned veterans with me, as it turned out it was a good thing.

Upon leaving the marina and heading south it was readily apparent that we would be having a change in plans. The wind started to pick up rapidly and I could see a huge sand storm being blown across the beach up ahead. We turned around and headed back just in time, it went from calm to 40kt wind in about 2 minutes. We were blasted by the sand storm as we came into the marina but it quit when the torrential downpour hit. It was quite a rodeo for a few minutes trying to get the anchor deployed in the marina, there was no way we would be able to have parked it in the slip under those conditions. We stayed on anchor for a couple of hours waiting for the wind to die down but when we saw a bunch of muddy water and debris flowing into the marina we decided that we had better park the boat before we sucked up a bunch of crap in the engine.

I know there were a lot of people in worse shape than us, I hope everybody made it back to shore safely. I learn something new every time I go out on the water, today a valuable lesson was learned....

[Edited on 7-24-2014 by dtbushpilot]

micah202 - 7-24-2014 at 10:24 AM

....wow DT--close call indeed ---glad the anchor caught!

Russ - 7-24-2014 at 10:52 AM

That storm didn't get up here. Appears to have hung a left around Loreto and petered out.

shari - 7-24-2014 at 10:53 AM

we are getting some cloud from it now...hmm...I wonder if I should bring in the laundry?

Mula - 7-24-2014 at 10:58 AM

Wind and rain just now started in Lopez. Still very dark.

Got the Laundry in just in time and got the battery and lights ready for power outages.

weebray - 7-24-2014 at 10:59 AM

Zipped on thru La Paz about an hour ago. Mostly a bluff, left a little rain to cool things down. Clearing now at noon.

shari - 7-24-2014 at 11:07 AM

thank you everyone for the onsite reports...they help alot...OK, gonna bring in the laundry now then.

motoged - 7-24-2014 at 11:42 AM

DT,
Glad you made port safely. :saint:

micah202 - 7-24-2014 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
DT,
Glad you made port safely. :saint:

...and such a relief that Shari's laundry day went smoothly!!

...very interesting to hear reasonably live accounts of a storm passing

motoged - 7-24-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

...and such a relief that Shari's laundry day went smoothly!!.

Yes, tragedies can take different forms :biggrin: It's a difficult task to gather up clothes from the line with a Tecate in one hand and some sashimi in the other....but if anyone can do it, Shari is the one :saint: ;D .

Hopefully the storm won't cause too much harm.

shari - 7-24-2014 at 12:38 PM

Yes, I have become rather good at multi tasking!:biggrin:

eerily calm here now and smells like rain..that bugger sure is moving fast.

Bob and Susan - 7-24-2014 at 01:38 PM

flatter than flat here on the bay in mulege this morning...then...

12 noon WOW!!! windy

its 2:30pm now and still breezy

the bay is really choppy

Osprey - 7-24-2014 at 01:39 PM

DT, don't know what you learned. Tribunadas, squalls in these parts come up quick and pass quickly (mostly). I got caught in a couple >> ran for home on the first one, which was a mistake. On the second I rode it out, then motored home in safety. Many don't show up on anybody's sat or radar till they're in your face.

weebray - 7-24-2014 at 02:14 PM

Just heard that Bill and family on s/v Cyber went on the beach near San Everisto a couple of hours ago. This is a La Paz harbor based boat. Reports are sketchy but word is the boat is lost. I assume this was a weather related event. I don't believe this is an area with cell coverage??

micah202 - 7-24-2014 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Just heard that Bill and family on s/v Cyber went on the beach near San Everisto a couple of hours ago. This is a La Paz harbor based boat. Reports are sketchy but word is the boat is lost. I assume this was a weather related event. I don't believe this is an area with cell coverage??

...sad to hear...hope they're okay
......if you heard of the incident,,,there must be some communications,no?

Cypress - 7-24-2014 at 02:37 PM

I't's a long way from Baja but some weather related things are the same. Down here along the northern Gulf of Mexico, when the temps start rising, you can expect thunderstorms. The moisture laden air from the water hits the hot thermals rising from the land and "Bingo", you're gonna have a storm. Sorry to hear about the folks boat being lost.

Russ - 7-24-2014 at 03:21 PM

This has been a very strange weather day. We have SSW wind now around 20. Normally we'd have storms coming over from the mainland and few from the south unless hurricane driven.

BajaBlanca - 7-24-2014 at 03:27 PM

Extremely humid in Bocana, weird winds almost all day long amd coming from all different directions.

Stay safe everyone. DT we are REALLY glad you are ok.

weebray - 7-24-2014 at 03:28 PM

Limited vhf traffic has confirmed s/v Cyber is aground and has broken up. All crew is safe and this is not a life threatening situation. A truck has been dispatched north but road conditions are unknown. It is expected that rain may have caused problems for the old road. Skipper is going to try to salvage what he can. He is worried about the ramifications of abandoning it on the beach after the salvage is complete.

Eli - 7-24-2014 at 04:01 PM

Outstanding rain with impressive winds hit us here North of LB this a.m.. Well worth loosing electric for a few hours. It is really going to green up around here now.

bajabuddha - 7-24-2014 at 04:03 PM

Just took another look at the squall on Russ's weather site http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/epac/flash-rb.html and man, that was a fast, intense storm! The mountains have pretty much sliced it up, but I notice a small but very intense cell that looks to be just west of Mulege still going... this could give answers to how the water project up in the Valley west of town is going to work for them if it gives enough moisture to flow the river. Good luck to all.

Ditto's for safety to DT, and all affected down south.

micah202 - 7-24-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
....... I notice a small but very intense cell that looks to be just west of Mulege still going... this could give answers to how the water project up in the Valley west of town is going to work for them if it gives enough moisture to flow the river. Good luck to all.

....have a feeling this ain't the one...a TS with some buildup will be the test

Hook - 7-24-2014 at 05:41 PM

Some of it made it over here, too. Well, the winds did. We had some constant wind that approached 30 mph at about 1pm. Lasted maybe for 2 hours, and is below 10mph now.

Weather is so unpredictable this time of year.

Russ - 7-24-2014 at 06:11 PM

shari - 7-24-2014 at 06:19 PM

Juan just called from Vizcaino and said it was howling like a banshee there...about 30 knots and raining in spots. Calm here in Asuncion but dark skies...tick tick tick

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by shari]

Archie - 7-24-2014 at 06:36 PM

Here in GN we can see some heavy rain somewhere over Vizcaíno, had some drops about an hour ago, light wind and its not too warm, kinda comfortable actually.

bajajudy - 7-24-2014 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Juan just called from Vizcaino and said it was howling like a banshee there...about 30 knots and raining in spots. Calm here in Asuncion but dark skies...tick tick tick

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by shari]
:no:
did the gatos y perros blow away;)

bajajudy - 7-24-2014 at 07:13 PM

We have been picking up all day from all the wind.
We lost three tarps, our internet hard wire from the store to the house, the bell on the store, a skye box, the frames for two tarps,.....I know there is more.
I had sand in my hair from the wind.
We did need the rain

Mulegena - 7-25-2014 at 10:55 AM

Here in Mulege this "storm" was a non-event.
It came up fast yesterday, blew kinda hard for a couple hours
but the sky only partly clouded over with very isolated drops-- and I mean only drops-- of rain.
This is a part of a normal hot, humid summer on the east coast.

What has been irksome is-- and unrelated to this thread--
the whole town has been out of electricity for the last two nights from about 10:30 to 12:30.
Everybody has a plan and moves outside for the duration.
Hope it doesn't happen again tonight, but this is also a part of a Mulege summer.

bajacalifornian - 7-25-2014 at 11:08 AM

Hey Amiga . . .

For sure, a part of a normal hot, humid summer on the east coast.

So, the duration is 'till dawn or when the power returns? Started early & a little confused.

Mulegena - 7-25-2014 at 11:34 AM

Everybody has a plan of dealing with the unexpected power outage.
Each household and each person has their own way of coping.

First off, every person in Mulege curses in their own, particular style-- can you hear us?

For us we have a third-floor rooftop palapa with hammocks, so we climb up there, either for the duration of the outage or until sun-up. If there's a breeze, we're in luck as it's actually pretty comfy. If there's no breeze (as has been the last two nights in spite of the big wind yesterday) you just lay still and wait, swat the occasional mosquito who dares to fly that high.

Some folks routinely sleep outdoors on cots, so it's no big deal.

A friend retreats to her cool bathtub to sleep.

Another friend moves out and onto the fish-cleaning station for the duration... I hope he never gets filleted!!

edited to add that's it's blowing again today, just not so intense as yesterday's wind

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by Mulegena]