BajaNomad

Best 4WD

Pages:  1  

Mexitron - 7-30-2014 at 06:00 AM

Any opinions on the new 4WD trucks? I'm growing more wary of the newer trucks and all the electronics...haven't a good experience with our 2009 Tacoma, it just hasn't held up to the rigors of off-road. Maybe go retro and get a 90s Toy---my 1992 was bullet proof---let it go at 225K but looking back maybe I should have kept it.

chuckie - 7-30-2014 at 06:12 AM

Older Dodge Diesels be Da Bomb....

woody with a view - 7-30-2014 at 07:50 AM

03 tundra has been stellar!

TMW - 7-30-2014 at 08:28 AM

Full size GM trucks have ball joint issues if driven hard off-road, especially if it's lifted. I've replaced the ball joints on my 04 GMC several times. But on my 93 Toyota and 04 Tacoma which I've hammered harder off road I've never had a front suspension problem, other than shocks until I went to Bilstein. I have broke rear leaves on the Tacoma which I think I have now solved with my new modified leave pack.

David K - 7-30-2014 at 08:38 AM

Mexitron, which model '09 (Base, SR5, Off Road, or Sport) Tacoma?

What issues are you having?

Do you read TacomaWorld.com forums to find answers, upgrades, info?

My 2010 has been stellar off road and I have the best time with the traction systems that are on the Off Road TRD. Once they are understood, the 2009+ Off Road 4WD Tacomas are simply unstoppable for a stock truck.

willardguy - 7-30-2014 at 09:03 AM

considered a Raptor?

BooJumMan - 7-30-2014 at 09:10 AM

Owned Toyota my whole life, so I don't have experience with any other makes. But even in Baja I still prefer solid front axle trucks. They just last longer, less moving parts, etc.

My current ride is a 97 FZJ80 Land cruiser, with front and rear electric lockers. Coil sprung in each corner (4" Old man emu springs). Thing drives like a Cadillac. Problem is ... its not a truck ;)

If me I'd probably try driving a full sized DIESEL GMC, Chevy, Ford... Whichever has a solid front axle. Plus the diesels have less electronics and more reliable in general (in my opinion)

mojo_norte - 7-30-2014 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

how older be 'older'

Taco de Baja - 7-30-2014 at 09:16 AM

Want to buy a '96 Tacoma? ;D
Baja tested, Low miles (for a Toyota), one owner.

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by Taco de Baja]

monoloco - 7-30-2014 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

My 2010 has been stellar off road and I have the best time with the traction systems that are on the Off Road TRD. Once they are understood, the 2009+ Off Road 4WD Tacomas are simply unstoppable for a stock truck.
My friends had an 2011 Tacoma and had problems with busted leaf springs, trim falling off, windshield leak, and broken welds in body panels, after 3 years in BCS, the truck was falling apart.

David K - 7-30-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Owned Toyota my whole life, so I don't have experience with any other makes. But even in Baja I still prefer solid front axle trucks. They just last longer, less moving parts, etc.

My current ride is a 97 FZJ80 Land cruiser, with front and rear electric lockers. Coil sprung in each corner (4" Old man emu springs). Thing drives like a Cadillac. Problem is ... its not a truck ;)

If me I'd probably try driving a full sized DIESEL GMC, Chevy, Ford... Whichever has a solid front axle. Plus the diesels have less electronics and more reliable in general (in my opinion)

IFS (Independent Front Suspension) is perhaps much better than before? None of my three Tacomas had solid front axles, but my '75 Jeep did. Know what is going to freak out Jeep owners? IFS is coming to the Wrangler in a couple years. :O:o

monoloco - 7-30-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:

Not anymore, the new diesels are overly complicated beasts.

willardguy - 7-30-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:

My friends had an 2011 Tacoma and had problems with busted leaf springs, trim falling off, windshield leak, and broken welds in body panels, after 3 years in BCS, the truck was falling apart.
you know if he would have limited his baja trips to an annual shell island excursion, his truck would still be like new!:light:....:lol:

Mexitron - 7-30-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Before 60K the ABS Brake system had to be replaced, the AC went out, radio knobs sometimes don't work, severe steering column rattle........then, when driving out to Oregon (and then to Baja) last week, long story short, the engine seized---something blew out and the oil drained out....no sensor lights were on. Warranty folks are tearing the engine down to see what happened....thank goodness I bought the extended warranty.

willardguy - 7-30-2014 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

Before 60K the ABS Brake system had to be replaced,

See? unstoppable for a stock truck! :lol:

David K - 7-30-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:

you know if he would have limited his baja trips to an annual shell island excursion, his truck would still be like new!:light:....:lol:

My Tacoma has done more than you give it credit for...

It went through this too... twice!

Usually we are solo (the Tacoma is so reliable, I don't need to travel with others for safety), but when we are with a group is when I can get some photos of my truck in action.

Here is my Tacoma pulling a 2WD Tacoma out of being stuck in the sand, then up the Diablo Dropoff in Anza-Borrego...

This was in L4 with A-TRAC and the rear locker both on.

Toyota would not have the best selling truck in its class if it was junk, sorry!

Mexitron - 7-30-2014 at 10:04 AM

I know what you mean David---Toyotas (and my full size Chevy Silverado, now at 200K) have been great off-road trucks for me. Just wondering if they're still the way to go though---the off-road racing package ain't cheap.

Taco de Baja - 7-30-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean David---Toyotas (and my full size Chevy Silverado, now at 200K) have been great off-road trucks for me. Just wondering if they're still the way to go though---the off-road racing package ain't cheap.

Tell me about it....Thinking about a new Taco myself and although the prices have not been released on the new 2015 "Taco Supreme" [Yep, they may call it that :lol: :rolleyes: ] with all the off-road bells and whistles, the word on the street is that they will likely begin in the $35,000 to $40,000 range. Ouch!

But if it lasts almost 20 years like my '96...It's not really too bad on the per year cost....:light:

sd - 7-30-2014 at 11:38 AM

Purchase a new 2014 Tacoma standard cab base model 4WD for $23,100 +T&L. One Baja trip so far, no off road but some marginal dirt roads. Handles well. Roll up windows and manual locks, less to go wrong. I probably would do dual cab if I had to do it again. Miss having storage area.

BooJumMan - 7-30-2014 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

IFS (Independent Front Suspension) is perhaps much better than before? None of my three Tacomas had solid front axles, but my '75 Jeep did. Know what is going to freak out Jeep owners? IFS is coming to the Wrangler in a couple years. :O:o

Wranger IFS!!?? That would be crazy. Wasn't last year an IFS/IRS buggy won King of the Hammers? Doesn't surprise me at all. Still feel that solid/straight axles are stronger in the long run though.

Yeah and my last IFS was a 3rd gen 4Runner... I mean, worked great. I even had put in Icon front coilovers... But I still like the ride in the Cruiser!

CortezBlue - 7-30-2014 at 12:24 PM

Ford F150 EcoBoost 4x4

nough said

bajacalifornian - 7-30-2014 at 01:25 PM

You said it yourself, "Maybe go retro ". Here's my new ride, and I love it. Standard, 4X4, short cab & bed with a 350.

One sixth the value of other options. Best part . . . fixing minor squawks for mere pesos with a Mexican shade tree mechanic.

Mexitron - 7-30-2014 at 01:44 PM

Nice rig bajacalifornian! So CortezBlue--you like the Ford....I was reading some good things about it. Might go fullsize anyway since the mileage isn't much worse than the minis. Have you done a lot of off-roading with it so far?

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 02:04 PM

Can't go wrong with the ford.... Had great luck with the f150 and f250 in baja. Very tough and reliable. Not to mention about as safe as it gets in a wreck on hwy 1....

StuckSucks - 7-30-2014 at 02:06 PM

Toyota Tacoma! I've owned five generations of the things - they're dependable and have taken me to amazing places. My trucks see LOTS of dirt in the western US and Baja.

Laurel Lakes:

Deadman Pass:

McGee Mountain:

Top of Sand Canyon, Rock Creek:

On the way to Punta Blanca:

Driving to Punta Final:

Toroweap, AZ:

Near Kanab, UT:

Martyman - 7-30-2014 at 03:30 PM

Don't hear anything about the Honda Pilot. Honda is very reliable. Maybe it is not meant for a lot of off-road? I don't fit in Toyotas.

bajacalifornian - 7-30-2014 at 05:22 PM

Nice option . . .

Your options are without bounds . . .

This is an F 350 7.3L V8 Diesel Turbocharged, 56 bales of alfalfa headed Loreto direct Rosarito, and next to receive 4X4 (making it legal for this post).

I know. Photography is not authorized here.

Not a hijack. Rather, arrival at what you want without spending a fortune.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61530#pid7437...

Good luck, Mexitron, with your search.

David K - 7-30-2014 at 06:29 PM

Nice photos StuckSucks! I almost bough a Ford Ranger in 2000... thank God I listened to Neal Johns and other Baja Amigos and went to Toyota when the Ford dealer wouldn't take my Plymouth van as a trade in! I am SOOOO happy with my Tacomas. While #2 (2005) wasn't perfect, the quality and perfection of #1 (2001) and now #3 (2010) really shine!

My Tacoma also is made in Baja California, so it is supporting the people of Baja, built in Baja, for the Baja!

Toyota dealers are really outstanding to... look for a special announcement regarding Toyota of El Cajon and The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California soon! Toyota: Let's Go Places!

:cool:

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 08:29 PM

Seems like maybe somebody is a paid spokesperson from a certain auto manufacturer! :) To each his own...

BajaGringo - 7-30-2014 at 08:55 PM

Best 4WD? Different answers for different situations:

1. Will truck be full-time or part-time south of the border?
2. What percentage of time will truck be driven offroad?
3. Are you able to make repairs to the truck yourself?
4. Will this be your only vehicle or to be used only for fun?
5. How hard and fast do you drive when off-road?
6. How important is fuel economy?

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 08:57 PM

We'll put, bajagringo.

BajaGringo - 7-30-2014 at 09:17 PM

We live out here on the beach at the end of a 15 mile rocky dirt road. Toyotas may do well in the general desert but I have seen this road out here eat up lots of them, driven back and forth daily by some of my neighbors. Their suspensions just aren't able to take the constant abuse. One neighbor bought a brand new 2011 model Toyota and the first year it ran great. Then the problems started and after he grew tired of repairing/replacing the suspension he sold it. He replaced it with a 2003 Ford F150 FX4 and he loves it in these conditions.

Different trucks work best in different conditions...

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 09:24 PM

I've hammered fords for years and been pretty rough on all of them. Never had any problems to speak of. Tires, oil and fuel.

Mexitron - 7-31-2014 at 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

Good points---I tend to go to Baja for three to four weeks a year in pretty rough places (pole line road and seven sisters last year) so the truck gets a good workout but the rest of the time its at home doing the shopping...as far as repairs go, the new trucks I have no idea how to repair them---that's what's frustrating---you take it on faith with all the electronics.

David K - 7-31-2014 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Seems like maybe somebody is a paid spokesperson from a certain auto manufacturer! :) To each his own...

I give them plenty of money to buy their product, and I get nothing from them except a great product. I speak praise of the Tacoma from my heart. Nothing is 100%, but this truck comes close.

TMW - 7-31-2014 at 11:14 AM

Can you fix the new trucks? That is an interesting question and for the shade tree mechanic it probably scares him/her. But think for a second about the advantages you have in identifying the problem. Since 1996 with the introduction of the OBDII codes and the ever improving code readers the answer to the problem is at hand. You don't need to be good at penning up an engine or tranny to read a code and IDing the problem. A dead battery is still a dead battery. An engine not starting is still based on gas, air and spark and a code can put you further down the line as to what's wrong. Most newer vehicles will put you in limp mode that will get you to a place to get it serviced. As for service I doubt more than maybe a couple of people on this board work on their vehicle anyway. Do you do an oil change and lube? Do you replace the shocks? Do you replace a leaf in a broken spring pack? Do you replace an oxygen sensor, spark plugs, how about the muffler? How many on here have actually rebuilt an engine. I used to but now I'm too old, fat and lazy.

wessongroup - 7-31-2014 at 11:33 AM

Dittos

btw .. thanks for the pic's .. :):)

[Edited on 7-31-2014 by wessongroup]

BajaGringo - 7-31-2014 at 12:18 PM

That is a valid point Tom, but I also know that the newer trucks have so many new electronics and the fact that they are all built around so many plastic components that there is a lot more potential for something to break or malfunction; especially on long driving on rough and rocky roads. I have several 4x4 vehicles out here, including an F250HD, Range Rover, ML350, Expedition, Yukon and two F150's. The Range Rover and ML350 are extremely comfortable to drive but all their advanced systems and electronics frequently give me trouble. The Yukon has been very dependable in terms of the drive train but the suspension needs constant tweaking with the rocky roads out here. The F250 is an older model that we use mainly for local, heavy hauling - it is dependable but not a very comfortable ride. The newest of the bunch is an Expedition. Very comfortable with lots of advanced electronics, sensors and gizmos but we mainly only use that for long trips on the highway so not a good one to measure against.

The best combination of comfort and dependability are the two F150's on these roads out here. I've got nearly 300,000 miles combined on the two trucks and they both still look and ride like brand new and all I ever do is fill them up with gas and check the oil. Routine maintenance and they run like swiss watches...

[Edited on 7-31-2014 by BajaGringo]

Mexitron - 7-31-2014 at 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone.
The F150s are looking good, though it may be hard to get an off-road package in a basic regular cab truck (ie--locking differential, skid plates, etc.). Guess I could have one custom built, that's what I did with the 2000 Chevy Silverado, just takes a couple months.

BajaGringo - 7-31-2014 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone.
The F150s are looking good, though it may be hard to get an off-road package in a basic regular cab truck (ie--locking differential, skid plates, etc.). Guess I could have one custom built, that's what I did with the 2000 Chevy Silverado, just takes a couple months.

It definitely is worth your while to wait a bit if it means getting what you really want. Also, a lot of folks think that special ordering means you won't get much of a price break if anything at all. My suggestion? If you want to order a new one, go straight to the dealer's fleet manager and tell him you want to special order a truck and are shopping around for the dealer that will give you the lowest quote over factory invoice.

In person they will give you a better deal than over the phone or by email. That is the quickest, easiest way to get the very best deal...

TMW - 7-31-2014 at 02:03 PM

Ron, I understand where you are coming from and I don't disagree. I agree the more electronic gadgets the more problems you can have.

Mexitron keep in mind that things like skid plates can be ordered using the Ford number from an F150 that has one. I did that for my 91 chevy 4x4. It didn't have a skid plate but the Z71 model did so I used that for the order and it fit right in or go for an after market set thaqt could give you more and better protection. I did that for my Tacoma, 3/16 inch steel under the engine, tranny and transfer case. The locker may be an option when you buy.

willardguy - 7-31-2014 at 02:27 PM

check out "half price raptor" at xtreme4x4, take it as far as you want!:yes:

Tioloco - 7-31-2014 at 10:07 PM

Bang for the buck, any year wrangler ( yj, tj, jk) are all great baja rigs.

Tomas Tierra - 7-31-2014 at 10:33 PM

SP, I just upgraded to a '05 quad cab tundra for myself two kids and the wifeski... Couldn't be happier! Plenty of room and power... Handles the FWC hawk like a champ and still slightly goat pathable, as long as you don't mind a few pinstripes! A little suspension help(which you won't need with the big ford) is all you need.
See you out there somewhere!
TT

baja 4x4's

captkw - 7-31-2014 at 10:37 PM

If for full time daily driver (offroad) a old Dodge power wagon or a K blazer take the bumps in stride !! but rough on any comforts and lux...my self wont by anything from a company that makes a product that they know in advance that people were gonna die !! (PINTO) oh how folks forget so fast !! K&T

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by captkw]

Maderita - 7-31-2014 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
...If you want to order a new one, go straight to the dealer's fleet manager and tell him you want to special order a truck and are shopping around for the dealer that will give you the lowest quote over factory invoice...

Perhaps you mean "dealer invoice" instead of "factory invoice." Dealer invoice is what the dealer actually pays for the vehicle with options, destination charges added on, and factory incentives deducted. The "factory invoice" does not have the factory incentives deducted. Those factory incentives can be considerable. By reading the "factory invoice", the consumer would not see the hidden profit that he is paying to the dealer.
It's all designed to confuse and deceive the consumer.
Ideally, you'd want to get a look at the Dealer Invoice.
Here's a tutorial:
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-pricing/cars-factory-invoice-p...

Tioloco - 7-31-2014 at 11:06 PM

Capt.... (PINTO).... Really??? Haha! Now that is funny! That is like saying Toyota intentionally killed people with the supposed faulty floor mat under accelerator.. I suppose all vehicle manufacturers should be prosecuted when one of their customers die in a collision... WOW

Hola TIO

captkw - 8-1-2014 at 12:17 AM

I guess you don't know/understand this issue....even 60 minutes did a feature on it....I am amazed that at this date in time you would/could make such a non informed post about this subject !! please understand I'm not trying in any manner to badger you.. but the facts about the PINTO are well known and ford knew that the gas tanks were a PROBLEM !!!....PS.. A quik Startpage search shows over 500 people in the USA died due to the bad gas tanks..I belive It was MUCH more than that!! Carry ON !!

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by captkw]

chuckie - 8-1-2014 at 03:48 AM

SO? You drive a Pinto off road? I didn't know they still sold em. Never buy a boat named the Titanic....

David K - 8-1-2014 at 08:08 AM

I do the same as my Mexican friends do... they say proudly "La Baja".

In reality, if you read my professional writings, I use Baja California for accuracy and Baja in casual chat. In the case of the Toyota comment, saying 'The Baja' just sounded better.

It is an abbreviation for The Baja Peninsula, fyi. Most of us on Nomad know that Baja is so well recognized, it does not need to be 'attached' to California to have meaning!

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by David K]

bajalearner - 8-1-2014 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
but looking back maybe I should have kept it.

I have said that a few times...my corvette, my cadillacs, my 46 willys jeep, my VW Jetta diesel...

but I don't miss my 76 Dodge van or my wife. :tumble:

BajaRat - 8-1-2014 at 01:18 PM

Quote:

This thread has been a good read, and I think Ron is on the right track.
It all depends on your budget and application. I have seven 4x4s (Fords, Chevys, a 88 Suzuki ) a few to get rid of and a few for different apps.
Our " new " older Baja rig is a 1989 V2500, 350 TBI, Standard 4 speed part time 4x4 with posi rear diff. Found it with 109,000 mi. on it . I love that I can repair it but it's bullet proof out of the box. Room for the Fam and guests, complete slide out galley, camp gear, three dogs, kayaks and boards on top.
I'm a fan of less is more, roll up windows, no extensive electronic systems, strait axels and never A/T.:cool:

BajaRat - 8-1-2014 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Those Suburbans were on my list but, if I'm gonna drive a big truck then what the hell, I'm gonna go big!

Down here on the mainland there are some seriously tight streets...... however, all I do is flashback to parallel parking my fire engine and I think I'll be fine.

I think I will 86 our Rodeo when I get the other rig and possibly purchase a smaller 4x4 for running around type trips..... anything from 4Runner size to a Wrangler type vehicle.

I had a '58 Willy's that I popped a 350 into that would crawl through and over anything and got up and went all the way to 55mph once upon a time..... that was a fun rig!

:lol::lol::lol: My First vehicle was a '58 Willys PU with a 350 conversion.
Yeah the Burb is a beast but when u get used to it , it's like driving the Type I :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by BajaRat]

BajaRat - 8-1-2014 at 03:13 PM

I guess I just like lightly used ( now becoming vintage ) vehicles. It seems that not only me but most mechanicos get it with these rigs.

Another huge requirement for us is new and used parts availability, we like to be on the road pronto :cool:

David K - 8-1-2014 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
I do the same as my Mexican friends do... they say proudly "La Baja".
Yeah. As I recall, in previous discussions on that topic, you'd posted a picture from (Jimmy Smith's?) book poking fun at those who used the phrase "the Baja." Guess it just shows to go...

Indeed it sound dumb to many... perhaps you should really get after the Canadians, as no one linguistic group say 'The Baja' more than them, .... eh?

liknbaja127 - 8-1-2014 at 07:47 PM

I think FORD spelled backwards reads, BAJA!!! Oh yeah... we also have BFG's on our FORDS :biggrin:

4x4

J.P. - 8-1-2014 at 08:33 PM

The best 4x4 is the one that get's you out there and brings you home without breaking down. I was taught by a man that never owned a 4x4 how to drive. I grew up in the Panhandle of Texas. we experienced all kinds of driving conditions and managed to overcome them.
I love my 95 Suburban 4x4 and my 91 wrangler 4.0 in Baja parts and savey mechanic's for both are readily available.

Mexitron - 8-2-2014 at 10:04 AM

Heh, I was just coming out the Texas Panhandle when my Toyota broke down around Chillicothe...love that shortgrass prairie and the Caprock up there. I hear you on the older trucks...might just overhaul my 2000 Silverado and drive that in Baja again. Beast of a truck---2500 4x4 with a one ton axle, 3300 lb payload. Been my work truck in CA and TX.

David K - 8-2-2014 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Hey David and the rest of the minutiae lovers, love you but who gives a chiite... this is about 4x4s.
Peace.

Talk to Lencho... I was not going off topic was I? :lol::?:

BajaRat - 8-2-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Heh, I was just coming out the Texas Panhandle when my Toyota broke down around Chillicothe...love that shortgrass prairie and the Caprock up there. I hear you on the older trucks...might just overhaul my 2000 Silverado and drive that in Baja again. Beast of a truck---2500 4x4 with a one ton axle, 3300 lb payload. Been my work truck in CA and TX.

Yep,
Our Ranchito Rig is a '88 Chevrolet K3500 454ci 4x4 , Standard 4 speed. Can't screw up well maintained oldies
I LOVE TRUCKS !!!!!!!!!

TMW - 8-2-2014 at 12:17 PM

Lots of off-road racers have used the term "The Baja" meaning the Baja 1000.

Ateo - 8-2-2014 at 12:19 PM

Everyone knows the best 4X4 out there is the Nissan Pathfinder.

Tioloco - 8-2-2014 at 12:24 PM

I was thinking the Subaru brat.... Or the chevy el camino on a blazer frame. Cool cars for date night as we'll. :)

Mexitron - 8-2-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Everyone knows the best 4X4 out there is the Nissan Pathfinder.

Do tell..

Haven't heard much from Nissan Frontier owners...they price a bit less expensive but reviews seem good for the 2014s.

[Edited on 8-2-2014 by Mexitron]

mtgoat666 - 8-2-2014 at 01:22 PM

Land rover defender. They sell in mex, but not in USA. Same with Toyota hilux, the more utilitarian and tougher toyota pick up.
Toyota land cruiser for comfy plush 4wd.

I miss my '72 land rover short wheel base. Was more fun than a jeep.
I would like a soft top defender.

Mexitron - 8-2-2014 at 02:09 PM

Would love to get the Hilux, those were my first two Toyotas, tough trucks!

Mexitron - 8-2-2014 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Still sold new in Mexico.

I know....I looked into it, virtually impossible to import here though. I'll have to move to Baja.......hey:light:

Genecag - 8-2-2014 at 06:24 PM

I have been very happy with the f-150 crewcab 4x4s, i am on my 6th. They are comfortable and roomy. Parts are always available and mechanics easy to find.

Back in 2007, i think, i switched to the Tacoma 4x4 TRD for a year but traded back for a f-150 within the year. We made a spirited run up to Laguna Hansen and after returning, i found a crumple in the bed about 6" from the beginning of the bed. I think it was from the flex in the frame........

I got a FX4 Crew Cab a few months ago with the 6.2 L motor and think it is the best so far. The electronic differential lock makes a difference in the sand and it handles like a bmw on the road and pretty much go anywhere we please.

blackwolfmt - 8-2-2014 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Right on chuckie here is my 97 2500 cummins 12 valve, 160,000 mi, I heard a mexican farmer can keep these runnin almost forever, even has a set of BFG AT KO's for shoes 2nd set and a Banks turbo upgrade should last me the rest of my life, long or short

P1013919 (Small) (Custom).JPG - 33kB

liknbaja127 - 8-2-2014 at 07:17 PM

We like our 92 FORD Bronco, just went through the hole thing, top to bottom!
It is easy to drive down there! and not bad on gas either.

wessongroup - 8-2-2014 at 08:39 PM

Was surprised on the gas too .... 86 .. don't get to drive it, but, was fun when I did and they are really very cheap ... some guys put a lot into one and have to get rid of it for much less than what they have spent in time and money .. in some cases

Considering what you're getting ... looking at some of the old ones can be worth it for some :):)

Tioloco - 8-2-2014 at 08:47 PM

You get what you pay for. Obviously, if money isn't an issue, nobody would pick a Tacoma over a f150 or chevy 1500. Just saying....

wessongroup - 8-2-2014 at 09:30 PM

Or ya pay for what ya get ... "used" to do my own work and knew my vehicle pretty good from that .. carried tools just in case but, never had any real problems

Learned an important lesson in 1956, we were going down to Johnson ranch to camp out in the "pickle weed" ... the road was bad, the man driving our next door neighbor was going way to fast and my dad kept telling him to slow down ... He punched a hole in the pan ... took a few days to get it fixed ... he slowed down

They ALL have problems ... ya fix problems and treat them gently .. used to drive hard ... unless your racing for real .. slow down and enjoy the ride .. easier on you and your transportation IMHO

One must chose wisely ... it helps a lot in buying anything

There are all kinds cars and trucks that folks drive around Baja every day ... some days are better than others ... if one was 100% better than all others, then there would be only one car company

Have always thought of cars ...like one would a horse ..treat them good and they will treat you good ... some are better than others ... but, both will get you most of the time to where you are going

Plus I'm really CHEAP ... :lol::lol:

David K - 8-2-2014 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
You get what you pay for. Obviously, if money isn't an issue, nobody would pick a Tacoma over a f150 or chevy 1500. Just saying....

It's not the money, it's the size. I neither need or want a full size truck. If I did I would do what other Nomads like Ateo and Woody and get a Tundra. I do like Ford Raptors, however.

Mexitron - 8-3-2014 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

The Tacoma TRD is pricing pretty near a 4x4 F150. Like David says though, its nice having a smaller truck if you do lots of exploring on billy goat trails like we do.

David K - 8-3-2014 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The Tacoma TRD is pricing pretty near a 4x4 F150. Like David says though, its nice having a smaller truck if you do lots of exploring on billy goat trails like we do.

Exactly, a Ford Raptor cannot get to Mission Santa Maria, but a Tacoma Off Road can! Cameron did get within sight of the mission, but those final gullies halted him (probably the one that grabbed my rear bumper)!

The sticker on my 2010 Double Cab 4WD Off Road Tacoma was around $33,000. Tacomas aren't cheap and that is not why we Baja Nomads buy them. They are reliable and capable. The Off Road TRD was developed with input from Ivan Stewart racing Toyotas in Baja.

mtgoat666 - 8-3-2014 at 08:40 AM

Quote:

I always thought Tacoma was a chicks truck. Cute truck.

TMW - 8-3-2014 at 11:36 AM

I've had less problems with my Toyota cars and trucks compared to my US brand names. I also think they hold their value better. I do tend to hold on to my vehicles a long time.

Tioloco - 8-3-2014 at 04:34 PM

Hahaha! A raptor cant get to Mission santa Maria?.... That is a driver problem. That is like saying a 4 door wrangler cant but a 2 door can. All up to the driver. I am sure many people consider Cocos corner a real tough Baja adventure. Anyway, I guess the point is drive what you want and go prepared!

BajaRat - 8-3-2014 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know....I looked into it, virtually impossible to import here though. I'll have to move to Baja.......hey:light:

You can purchase a Hilux front clip with a low miles turbo diesel and all related electronics and hardware on Ebay from importers in L.A.
That would make a hell of a Toy conversion.
Aren't the Toyota trucks available with a turbo diesel in Canada :?:

Tioloco - 8-3-2014 at 05:46 PM

And if you buy and register it in Baja or Sonora? What is saying you couldn't drive it around here and there? Just get an insurance policy for it like all Mexican plated cars are required to do. Just wondering how the U.S. could keep you from driving it around here? Mexicans don't require that we register our cars there when visiting. This would be more practical to someone retired or self employed, I guess.

David K - 8-4-2014 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can purchase a Hilux front clip with a low miles turbo diesel and all related electronics and hardware on Ebay from importers in L.A.
That would make a hell of a Toy conversion.
Aren't the Toyota trucks available with a turbo diesel in Canada :?:

From what I have read on Tacoma World, the Canadians have the same selection of Tacomas as here except there is no double cab Off Road, only Access Cab in the Off Road. (The Off Road 4WD has a rear locking differential and A-TRAC, which is a front and rear traction system that does nearly what lockers do)

bigboy - 8-4-2014 at 10:26 AM

I have two Baja proven Ford Bronco's. The one that lives at my Baja house is a 1989 with over 270,000 miles. No major problems so far and we drive it to Cabo every year with a few side trips on dirt roads. My eyery day driver is a 1995 with over 240,000 miles. I drive that Bronco to our home in Baja as well as some off-road in the deserts. No major problems with this one too!

I also have a V10 Excursion 4X4 that has never been to the dealer for anything. Rounding off my fleet of 4X4's, is a 1979 International Scout II. This is a fun truck that sees a lot of desert off-roading. Now the Scout has not any major problems but has had a few little ones but who cares, it's my hobby truck!

BooJumMan - 8-4-2014 at 10:50 AM

I know there's a few on this thread... But, being a 4x4 enthusiast who goes on trips through the Sierra's, desert, local mountains, Baja just strictly for trail in my 4x4... I don't think I've ever seen a F150, Chevy Silverado, Raptor, or similar truck on a trail before.

While I'd say 75-85% of 4x4's on the trails are Jeeps, the other would be Toyota trucks, Land Cruisers, and various custom Truggy type trucks. I have seen a few Bronco's on the larger trails I guess. (I personally love Broncos).

Funny to mention too... I've pulled 2 Chevy trucks from the dunes in Mexico and one in Pismo dunes with my older 4Runner. I also pulled out a F350 on 37's from cobblestones in Baja. All were 4x4 trucks too. Not saying its the truck's fault, but ... ; )

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by BooJumMan]

JZ - 8-4-2014 at 11:00 AM

The best truck in the world right now is the new 2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71. Period, end of discussion. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by JZ]

[Edited on 8-5-2014 by BajaNomad]

TMW - 8-4-2014 at 11:13 AM

Wait 3 or 4 months and it will be on the re-call list.

JZ - 8-4-2014 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Wait 3 or 4 months and it will be on the re-call list.

Jelly?

David K - 8-4-2014 at 01:17 PM

You got that great GM feeling! If not, then just wait... :light::lol:

RanchGX - 8-4-2014 at 02:21 PM

Jeep Grand Wagoneer!

1/2 ton pickup with the body of an SUV, V8, great low gearing, seats 6, power everything, can be found all day for cheap, can be fixed with parts from a GM or Ford vehicle, only seems to break down in mall parking lots, but has never left me stranded in the desert.

David K - 8-4-2014 at 04:13 PM

Now you're talking! I owned the 2 door version in 1975 (first generation Cherokee)... and the '65 Wagoneer was how I was introduced to Baja as a child! Kaiser Jeep Corp. in the 60's and AMC Jeep in the 70's.

BajaRat - 8-4-2014 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
The best truck in the world right now is the new 2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71. Period, end of discussion. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by JZ]

[Edited on 8-5-2014 by BajaNomad]

After you get it wet Ill tow you out to the nearest town with one of my second place rides :lol:

chuckie - 8-5-2014 at 02:11 AM

The best truck for Baja is:
One you can afford
One that can be fixed in Baja
One that you like and have confidence in.

dasubergeek - 8-5-2014 at 11:33 AM

I dunno JZ, I had the half ton version of that and it was in the shop six times in eight months. I sold it on.

durrelllrobert - 8-5-2014 at 11:36 AM

Back in the 60s I had a 1952 Jeep FC with a 283 Chevy engine that I used for deer hunting. Although I never had it in Baja it would have been perfect for off-loading here.

http://www.offroaders.com/events/images/DSC02363_small.JPG КАКОЙ НАФИГ УАЗ!!! Первые УАЗ-469 сошли с...

JZ - 8-5-2014 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
I dunno JZ, I had the half ton version of that and it was in the shop six times in eight months. I sold it on.

1/2 ton bud. That right there is your problem. Who in their right mind buys a 1/2 ton truck? It's like being half pregnant.

BajaRat - 8-5-2014 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Back in the 60s I had a 1952 Jeep FC with a 283 Chevy engine that I used for deer hunting. Although I never had it in Baja it would have been perfect for off-loading here.

http://www.offroaders.com/events/images/DSC02363_small.JPG КАКОЙ НАФИГ УАЗ!!! Первые УАЗ-469 сошли с...

Love the forward control Jeep, have a neighboring ranch with one asleep in the barn.
Anyone know the progress on the retro Jeep FC :?:

dasubergeek - 8-5-2014 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek

1/2 ton bud. That right there is your problem. Who in their right mind buys a 1/2 ton truck? It's like being half pregnant.

Yeah, the recalls had a ton to do with its capacity. Good luck there, make sure you bookmark the government's recall site.

Bichito - 8-5-2014 at 07:55 PM

2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Access Cab. All stock w/ BFG AT's
235k miles of highway + desert + beach. It was driven pretty hard on many occasions.. Ateo has even seen it catch air briefly (on the Motorola "that's you in the air" as he was following me). Plenty of room & not too long of a wheel base for minor technical stuff. The real bonus for Toyota is the resale.. I just sold my 05 Tacoma on CL for well over KBB.

I'm about ready to beat the snot out of a 14 Tundra... I won't comment on Tundra till I hit at least $100k.

jimgrms - 8-6-2014 at 07:41 AM

just sold my 04 toy dc off road with 100k for 19,000 crappy mpg,, didm need a 4x4 so bought a 2015 honda fit .

TMW - 8-6-2014 at 09:07 AM

Jim that is a heck of a price for the 04. Good for you.
 Pages:  1