BajaNomad

Photo (and other) Attachments -- Limitation!!

BajaNomad - 8-27-2003 at 03:56 PM

I wish to continue allowing members to post their photos, as I'm interested in seeing them as much as you are about sharing them....

...but...

There are a few photos that have been posted that approach half a megabyte (300-500k).

This is bad from two angles:
1) it takes forever for someone on a slow connection to actually see it.
2) it takes up that much space on the hard drive of the server.

40 to 50 of the photos of that file size alone would take up a full intro-level hosting account (from regionalinternet.com).

So, I need them to be smaller in file size.

Much.

The limitation is 50k for file attachments unless you've received prior approval (for special circumstances).

Anything over 50k is subject to removal from the board simply because of file size alone.

Unfortunately, hard drive space on servers is limited, and thusly I need to impose a limitation here.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 8-27-2003 by BajaNomad]

jpeg re-sizer

Bajabus - 8-27-2003 at 04:22 PM

here is a neat little freeware program that allows you to resize your jpegs for easy, fast loading on BB's.

http://www.virtualzone.de/resizer/

BajaNomad - 8-27-2003 at 04:53 PM

Thanks Max.

free photo storage site

Natalie Ann - 8-28-2003 at 07:02 PM

For free photo storage that can be accessed by others:
http://webshots.com

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by Natalie Ann]

BajaNomad - 6-8-2004 at 09:20 PM

bump

Reminder: 50kb file size limit for attachments PLEASE.

I think I got em all Doug

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 10:21 AM

but, if I missed any, just delete em. I will be looking into this in detail to learn how to post pictures within the size limits and still have them worth lookin at.
Mil perdones Amigo.

Natalie Ann - 6-9-2004 at 10:56 AM

I'll also try to better understand the process and post correctly.... and I'm sorry to say that I don't understand what to do with 'Bus' resizing link.
Can same result be obtained using Photoshop CS? Anyone know how? :?:

Doug - I'll delete all my photos if that would be helpful.... let me know. :)

Me too Natalie

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 12:51 PM

Been messin with it for awhile to no avail. I have not given up though and when I get it figgered out, I'll put mine back up right proper:lol:

photo resizing

jide - 6-9-2004 at 02:17 PM

If you guys have photoshop (or imageready)
scroll down the "image" menu to >image size
then make sure the resolution is 72 dpi and the actual size(inches) around 5x6.
then >file>save for the web
look @ the optimized version of the image, select jpg format and use the slidebar for image quality 'til ou see the file size going down to 50k.

If it still looks bad then reduce the actual image size to keep quality up.

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 03:06 PM

I did all that in photoshop and set the pixels at 50 and saved it. When I reopened it, it was less pixels than it said in Photoshop.
I am assuming this will get easier with some practice or am I missing something again?

BajaNomad - 6-9-2004 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
I did all that in photoshop and set the pixels at 50 and saved it. When I reopened it, it was less pixels than it said in Photoshop.
I am assuming this will get easier with some practice or am I missing something again?

J.R.,

It's not the pixels ("image size").... it's the file size... how much space the file takes up of memory on the hard drive of the system.

I'm trying

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 04:39 PM

So, if I don't need to change the image size, how do I change the file size. Remember who your talking to here, Clueless! Thanks.

BajaNomad - 6-9-2004 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
So, if I don't need to change the image size, how do I change the file size. Remember who your talking to here, Clueless! Thanks.
As was mentioned to you, in the more current (full) versions of Photoshop, if you choose the option "Save for web..." from the file menu, there's an option to "Optimize to file size..."

To get there (in Photoshop 7, for instance), choose 'save for web', and then at the top right of the web optimization box that appears, are the choices 'save' - 'cancel' - and 'done'

Just below these is a box that says "settings" and just to the right is a circle with a right-facing arrow. Click on the arrow, and choose 'optimize for file size' and then specify a desired file size of 50k.

That get you closer? ;)

--
Doug

Aren't I just a pain in the arse?

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 05:45 PM

How about Photoshop 6, which is what I have? I'll check out your instructions though.
I think I need to go back to Bamboo!:light:

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 05:53 PM

Or something !

jrbaja - 6-9-2004 at 05:54 PM

Why can't we attach images?

Bob H - 7-21-2004 at 03:32 PM

It appears that we are no able to "attach" images. Has this feature gone away?
Bob H

photo resizing ....

cristobal - 7-21-2004 at 04:57 PM

THANKS, jide .......

for your instructions to make all of our DIGITAL PICS fit on screen.....

The way I do it with my NEGATIVES ...... is to get out my scissors .... if it is still too big .... just cut a little more ... works every time .....

:?::bounce::O:bounce::yawn::wow:;D:tumble::spingrin:

Herb - 7-21-2004 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
It appears that we are no able to "attach" images. Has this feature gone away?
Bob H

I won't speak for Doug as to what happened to the feature, but posting of photos as links still works, and they actually load faster that way. I would reccomend signing up for some type of service like pbase.com that allows you to store a sizeable number of photos and then just insert the links here. (They still show up as if they were attached only faster). The cost is minimal (pbase is only around $20 a year) and we help Doug save bandwith and help keep the board free.

Bob H - 7-22-2004 at 12:02 PM

Herb, thanks for the info.
Bob H

[Edited on 7-22-2004 by Bob H]

My avatar worked for awhile

Arthur - 2-8-2005 at 09:28 PM

I entered the URL for a small avatar this morning and it worked for awhile, but then it disappeared. I checked, and the URL is still good.

Did you disable my avatar for some reason?

This one?

Tucker - 2-8-2005 at 09:36 PM

Arthur - 2-8-2005 at 09:42 PM

That's the one. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know!

Tucker - 2-8-2005 at 09:51 PM

I've tried numerous times to post an avatar without success.

Yours I just right-clicked (with firefox) on view image, downloaded to my computer, up-loaded to the site........but that doesn't cure your problem.

Arthur - 2-8-2005 at 09:56 PM

Well, it shows that the image can be displayed at least. Maybe it will disappear again, like mine did. Thanks for experimenting with it -- and it's good (perversely) to hear that someone else has trouble with this. I would think that there would be a set of instructions for doing this.

See if you can glean anything from this thread

Tucker - 2-8-2005 at 10:02 PM

http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=2764

BajaNomad - 2-9-2005 at 12:00 PM

Arthur,

Your issue is that you're using the webshots.com to serve the image, and they're blocking hotlinking.

If you like the image, save it and put it on another server that does not block hotlinking of images.

The reason it displays is that you've got the image in memory from viewing it elsewhere, either on the webshots site, or directly by the URL:

http://image34.webshots.com/35/7/43/41/269674341LGAWoK_ph.jp...

Once you visit that image, it'll display here for a short time (as long as it's still in the memory/cache of your local machine). After that, it's not going to display.

It's the same problem for David K. He's hotlinking to webtv.net, but they block the hotlinks to images as well... so David's seeing them from his memory/cache, but nobody else is seeing them unless they go visit the image link/location itself.

Hope that made sense... I had to make a quick answer.. no time to re-read it.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

Arthur - 2-9-2005 at 02:21 PM

That makes complete sense, Doug -- and thanks. I never would have figured it out myself. I'll find a better site.

Image-Ready

yankeeirishman - 2-24-2005 at 12:46 PM

http://apex.vtc.com/image-ready-7.php

Here's a free trail.
*less JPeg is what u r looking for*
It's Image -ready that pops up after you in Photoshop. A new window appears OVER the PhotoShop window. The new showing split window format shows; left window is the original and right window is with less JPeg. Look at the JPeg adapter function to your far right, adjust the slider to less> click on the second window" center area>look at the lower part of this window to see a kb number. You are looking for a number of 50 orless than 50 value>save to>where ever your picture folder is.

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by yankeeirishman]

Images on my/your server??

Sharksbaja - 2-24-2005 at 01:11 PM

So sorry, i did not realize that the pics on my server were being tranfered to your server. Is that what happens? Even if these are not attachments? Is this so they become archives? I am not exactly sure why when these pics were resized that they have different file sizes. I will use a diff program to resize below 50K. It seems a while back I tried to do the file attachment option but could not see it working.... do i use the same (http)address as when posting images. Sharksbaja

BajaNomad - 2-28-2005 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
So sorry, i did not realize that the pics on my server were being tranfered to your server. Is that what happens? Even if these are not attachments? Is this so they become archives? I am not exactly sure why when these pics were resized that they have different file sizes. I will use a diff program to resize below 50K. It seems a while back I tried to do the file attachment option but could not see it working.... do i use the same (http)address as when posting images. Sharksbaja
There are two ways to post pictures in the forums. First way: Hosted here - through use of the "attachment" feature in the forums that allow it. Second way: Hotlinking from another site - by using the "insert an image" feature from the formatting section (the yellow image button) - which uses the "img" element in the BB Code. You can read about the BB Code in the FAQ.

Only the images that are hosted HERE are under the limitation of 50k - as the images are what takes up the majority of the space on the server, not the text. All I ask of images not hosted here is that they not be so large as to distort the page width (which in itself is actually a flaw to allow such in the software code for the forum - and I haven't taken the time to do something about it).

Hope this makes sense.

--
Doug

SiReNiTa - 5-5-2006 at 01:55 PM

hi...I'm new here and i would really like if some one can tell me how to actually add photos...me and my mom (shari) have been trying and have not been able to figure it out...is ther ea secret or something????:no:

BajaNomad - 5-5-2006 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiReNiTa
hi...I'm new here and i would really like if some one can tell me how to actually add photos...me and my mom (shari) have been trying and have not been able to figure it out...is ther ea secret or something????:no:
Read "Can I insert an attachment" in the FAQ.

Thanks Doug!

Sallysouth - 5-5-2006 at 07:53 PM

I am just trying to learn how to post pics and hope my first try wasn't too big! (actually Mija did it from Baja).:saint: