BajaNomad

If you could give 1 peace of advice to a person going to Baja for the first time . what would it be.

Bruce R Leech - 12-17-2004 at 08:08 PM

I think to read some books on the customs and the people . and to treat them with respect. and they will be reworded a thousand times over.:bounce:

Please post your opinion.

Cyndarouh - 12-17-2004 at 08:25 PM

Bruce I ditto your statement and add for them to always remember they are guest and treat all with kindness. The rewards as you say are ten fold. Also driving at night is not such a good idea.

advice

Humboldt Chris and Robin - 12-17-2004 at 08:28 PM

relax and go slow - it's a big place and there is a lot to explore

Debra - 12-17-2004 at 08:33 PM

I would only add a couple to yours.......Don't forget your Mexican Liabilty Insurance........and

........Don't forget to check out what is down 'that' dirt road.....you might miss something VERY important, like the time "Desert Rat" pointed out petrified salt to us, or on that same adventure we raced (well, he raced us) a beautiful black Stallion in the middle of nowhere, or when a cute little red-head 8yr. old named Christina translated the ancient rock art we were viewing.

Dave - 12-17-2004 at 08:57 PM

Don't drink the water.

Advice

Barry A. - 12-17-2004 at 09:01 PM

Pay no attention to your pre-conceived ideas, and go with the flow, leaving your "judgemental mindset" behind you, always use common sense, and never give in to mordida. That should result in you having the time of your life.

Tommy A - 12-17-2004 at 09:53 PM

Don't judge a country by it's border town's

Don't try to save the Mexicans from themselves.

Tucker - 12-17-2004 at 10:01 PM

Listen Up

Baja Bernie - 12-17-2004 at 10:15 PM

Listen to the people who live here. They really care about the folks who come down here and they really wish that you have a good time AND understand what life is all about. Open your heart and they will make you feel and understand the passing of the sun and the raising of the moon. They will show you how the tide will erase all of your hurts and anger. AND they will make you welcome to their land. What more could any human wish for .

Lock your car

jrbaja - 12-17-2004 at 11:17 PM

Bring big dogs
Carry a gun!!
And buy prescription medicines
Without one!!
:lol:

elgatoloco - 12-17-2004 at 11:58 PM

Wear your sunscreen. :saint:

support development......

capt. mike - 12-18-2004 at 05:34 AM

buy a condo timeshare....

sorry JR, couldn't resist after reading yours!:lol::lol::lol:

Fair enough Amigo!

jrbaja - 12-18-2004 at 09:32 AM

Hope you are improving rapidly.

yeah, thx - slowly...

capt. mike - 12-18-2004 at 09:54 AM

not fast enough i fear to get a trip in before end of year though. major bummer all around.:mad::mad:

TMW - 12-18-2004 at 11:13 AM

I would tell them to get the AAA guide book and read it before crossing the border.

There are many sources of info and plenty of advise from people and on the boards. Everyone has their own take on Baja. Some good and some bad. I know people who went down and will never go again, for a variety of reasons. Others, like those here keep going and going.

thebajarunner - 12-18-2004 at 12:49 PM

you leave all your citizen rights behind. You are in their country, playing by their rules. Be cool, enjoy, be safe, buy insurance...... and drink the water when the locals say it is safe."

(I drank tap water all week in Puebla and Mexico City two weeks ago, great stuff!)

Baja Arriba!!

El Jefe - 12-18-2004 at 01:11 PM

Keep an open mind.

And speak Spanish as much as you possibly can.

Carry small bills

flyfishinPam - 12-18-2004 at 02:03 PM

no-one seem to be able to make change!

Finally!!!!!

Skeet/Loreto - 12-18-2004 at 02:43 PM

The Visitors and Posters have found the True Value of Baja! "Its People".
Most of you with the true Adventuers Mind and Heart have Discovered the Compassion of the People of Baja.

For some who will be able to Learn from the People it will change their Bitter hearts and Minds into Happy, Thoughtful, respectfull People.It also changes you Spiritually, i,e. I was given a "Spirit by a small Indian on so many years ago. The Spirit of the "Sea Eagle".
As I Posted in another Thread, take the Ten Commandants with you and Practice them. It does not have to be Religious at all, just follow them to a better Life.
You do not have to Lie, Cheat, nor Steal to be Happy in Baja or The States.
Think about your Neighbor not yourself all the time!!

Go Adventure!!

Skeet/Loreto

bajalera - 12-18-2004 at 06:29 PM

Hang loose and always know where the toilet paper is.

Lera

4baja - 12-18-2004 at 08:25 PM

tucker you are right on, there are too many gringos trying to save the mexicans from them self. its there country so let them run it!!!!. i like it the way it is but when the local gringo thinks that they own the beach in front of them and close it of for the local mexican familly then its time for the feds to get involved. we dont own mex so lets not try. :coolup:

surfer jim - 12-18-2004 at 10:29 PM

Take one "illegal" under each arm with them when they go down there.....:o

Bruce R Leech - 12-19-2004 at 03:33 PM

And Take one "illegal" Gringo under each arm with them when they go Back to the U.S.A.....

we have lots of people living .working here with out papers to do so also.

tim40 - 12-19-2004 at 04:00 PM

Don't over plan...leave time to explore what presents itself.

bajajudy - 12-19-2004 at 04:03 PM

If you come to a fork in the road take it

Desertbull - 12-19-2004 at 06:42 PM

Don't ride your bicycle on Mex Hwy 1!

Now those people are REALLY nutz!:O

You would not believe

jrbaja - 12-19-2004 at 06:52 PM

how many of these people I see. One of the most dangerous places on the whole trip is between Rosarito and Ensenada because of the bars.
I think that many people have started, realized what they were getting into on that stretch, and decided to take up lawn bowling or something sensible!!:lol:
At least I hope so.:no:

surfer jim - 12-19-2004 at 07:08 PM

Looks OK to me......:saint:

do a little homework beforehand

expat2B - 12-19-2004 at 07:43 PM

Read up on the customs, history, geography, etc. beforehand, and do your darndest to master even a few simple Spanish phrases. The Bajacalifornianos are appreciative and patient with even the humblest attempt to speak their language. With the limited insights of a first-time visitor, I think the true wealth of BCS is not so much the stunning scenery (which is self-evident, IMHO) but the people. I expressed this in admittedly primitive Spanish on several occasions, and received the greatest collection of smiles/hugs/handshakes a person could ever ask for.

Kinda like

jrbaja - 12-19-2004 at 09:08 PM

visiting most "third world" countries and even rural america, a long, long time ago.:no:

Expat...

vgabndo - 12-19-2004 at 10:18 PM

I like your reply. Especially as it relates to using the language. I think my Espanol really sucks, but I work on it almost every day for a little while, and constantly when I'm in Mexico, and my hosts compliment me all the time. It makes it really clear to me HOW LITTLE the LAST guy had bothered to learn if they think I'M well spoken.

Learn more than "pocito", it will GREATLY increase the depth and quality of your experience of our Mexican brothers and sisters.

Packoderm - 12-19-2004 at 11:52 PM

I would suggest buying traveler's checks, even if you don't intend to use them. I'd keep them visible with the token amount of visible money on hand. If somebody tries to get your money via foul play, you can say, "Sure, I'll give you all my money, but you will first need to tell me in whose name to write these traveler's checks." Hide your real cash in different locations, such as some in each shoe and so forth.

David K - 12-20-2004 at 12:42 AM

Don't panic at the military checkpoints (unless you were so stupid to bring pot or guns into Mexico).

Remember: you are in a Latin American republic that honors Napolionic laws (gulity until proven innocent)! So, soak up the atmosphere, smile at those 17 year old kids with the Belgium machine guns hanging from their necks, remember they need no search warrant...

Does any of this scare you? If yes, then stay out of Baja! If no, then you have a sense of adventure and Baja is the place for you! See my web site for trip ideas...

wilderone - 12-20-2004 at 09:40 AM

No tire basura. Beer cans, diapers, cigarette butts, styrofoam plates/cups, MoHome toilet contents, etc. We thank you.

And on that note

jrbaja - 12-20-2004 at 10:04 AM

For the boaters, plastic 6 pak holders, fishing lure packages, and motor oil containers are the most common annoyance on the beaches I go to.
Please don't do that.

DanO - 12-20-2004 at 12:55 PM

Never, ever, relieve yourself in public, no matter how bad you have to go, and especially if you're carrying your wife's purse. Trust me on this.

JESSE - 12-20-2004 at 01:19 PM

Leave your attitude at home and enjoy the simplicity of life.

HUH??????

Debra - 12-20-2004 at 07:46 PM

"Speak Spanish" unless you are talking to a cop or check point (then forget any word you have ever learned)

"Don't relieve yourself in public" unless you are "P"ing in a pot hole (you might want to fill it up for a smoother ride for the next guy) :saint:

"Don't panic at a checkpoint when they ask you, (unless you are stupid enough to bring guns or 'drugs') (Pot) Just say "yes, do you want to see?" If you happen to be a really young "hippie looking" kid and have drums (not drugs) in the back......the shocked look on their faces and the laughing is worth the misunderstanding!

I have a feeling that those guys are still telling that story.....I don't think they have ever gotten a "yes" to that question before. :biggrin:

Speaking Spanish

jrbaja - 12-20-2004 at 09:20 PM

This is the second or third time I have heard someone that has had a few vacations here talk about who you should speak Spanish to.:?:
This is Mexico!
Enough said!:light:

David K - 12-20-2004 at 10:01 PM

I agree with JR on that one... I always speak my limited espa?ol to the military boys or policia... why not? I think they can tell if you are not fluent... I cannot think of any reason not to be good ambassadors to these kids in the middle of the desert and practice speaking Spanish with them.

JRBaja

vgabndo - 12-20-2004 at 11:03 PM

I'd like your "take" on this one. It seems that within the first couple of hundred miles below the frontera it is possible to insult some Mexicanos by assuming that they don't speak English, while in BCS, outside the cities, to make any assumption about a local speaking English can be equally insulting. I've just sort of developed an "ear" for wheather maybe their English is better than my Spanish, vice-versa, or if we are both just stumbling around (hopefully) working on amistad e comprension. Waddayathink?

Military Checkpoints

Capt. George - 12-21-2004 at 08:54 AM

Deborah and I have never had a problem with the young soldiers....

They have always been polite, however curious they may be. They must be astonished at the wealth of Norte Americanos.....Their salary is next to nothing......I'm always a tourista on vacacion......

We speak as much espanol as we can, never encountered a problem because of that...As soon as they hear I was a soldier and Viet Vet and a Bombero from NYC, inspections are forgotten and a comraderie occurs....

Always remove your sunglasses!

adios...........Vikingo

This is Mexico

jrbaja - 12-21-2004 at 09:08 AM

although much of it has been highly influenced by gringos, especially in the border towns and resort areas.
My personal experience is that good hearted people appreciate our pathetic attempts at speaking their language. And they help us by slowing theirs down and making sure we understand what is being said and correcting us when need be.
There are many bilingual Mexicans that will make fun of our attempts, call us "gringos" (honest Debra!) and not show the slightest bit of interest in our learning as they are too busy getting money in one way or another, generally from tourists.
You don't really want these guys as friends anyway. They are by far the minority.
It's the good hearted majority that can be a real benefit to our lives. And they don't really have any physical boundaries.
Some of my best neighbors are Mexicans and I'm 1/2 hour from the border.
I guess my "take" on this is that I think that we as foreigners have a bad reputation to live down. Speaking Spanish (not talking louder) is a step in the right direction and is appreciated by most everyone that lives here.:light:

DITTO JR

Capt. George - 12-21-2004 at 09:10 AM

nicely put, my experience exactly.....

I've never had a problem a check point myself.......

Debra - 12-21-2004 at 05:39 PM

I always smile, show respect and am very willing to make it as easy on them and myself as possible......however!

Until any of you MEN are traveling alone with with 2 small children, and have been a week delayed because of major car problems I don't think that you can really understand what a sitting duck I may feel I am......and just how DONE I might be with check points and having my truck unloaded on the side of the road (didn't happen, they were very kind, as I was to them) Playing 'Dumb' has worked for me, I have yet to un-pack my truck...alone in the 'out-back' with my child....(I've seen it in the rig ahead of me many times) so, go ahead.....blast me as a 'tourist' I'd be willing to put up my passport visa stamps against anyones. I'm a traveler, not a tourist.

Ladies, please chime in on this.....All the guys talk about being pulled over and having to pay bribes, I've never had that happen, have you?

Again JR: the "gringo comment is wearing a bit thin.......give it a rest Amigo....you don't live in our heads, and to presume you do is arrogant.

I Love When You're Angry!

Capt. George - 12-21-2004 at 05:54 PM

Talk about give it a break....You sound like me on a bad day.......

Hope you have a better evening....

Equal Rights for All....unless I come back as a woman, I'd rather be non-liberated.

Chime in ladies, I can take it!

I bet those u2u's

jrbaja - 12-21-2004 at 06:34 PM

are going off tonight!!:lol::lol::lol:

And Debra, read the thread I posted regarding gringos.
And get over your problem with being called one. It's when P-nche gets thrown in that you should feel insulted.
Playing dumb:lol: Talk to the guys girl. Especially if you have kids or dogs. The soldiers can be really fun.

[Edited on 12/22/2004 by jrbaja]

Cpt. George.........HUH?

Debra - 12-21-2004 at 07:12 PM

JR.....No, My U2U's aren't going "off tonight" I really wish some of the women would come forward, good grief......Truth is that many women have been scared off by some of you men, that think they, we don't belong there (of course we are too "girle").....HUM.?.. is that where there are very many Baja women that seem to feel a need to keep silent......guess they might have been taught well by their parents.......I wasn't (well maybe I was.....I still speak my mind.)

wilderone - 12-22-2004 at 10:02 AM

A lot of us women don't "feel a need to keep silent" - it's a question of joining in an egotistic peeing match - useless diatribe.

Bruce R Leech - 12-22-2004 at 10:14 AM

DIATRIBE - official website - mp3, shows, photos, videos ... -

http://www.diatribe.de/

Speaking Spanish

Sallysouth - 12-22-2004 at 10:32 AM

In the past years I have traveled up and down Baja with my daughter.We have been stopped several times by the military and never had any problems, except one time when one of the soldiers wanted to know if mija was single and could he call her for a date!She had to explain that the baby I was feeding was'nt mine but hers,and that she was, indeed married!When they ask where we are from and where are we going, she explains, in Spanish, that she is a Mexican fishing captain and citizen.Well that usually dazzles them and they send us on our way.Yes, George, always take your sunglasses off!They like to see if you are hiding anything or are "on" something.Its a matter of courtesy.:yes:

[Edited on 12-22-2004 by Sallysouth]

bajalera - 12-22-2004 at 11:00 AM

I'll have to plead guilty to being a woman who's chimed in on some of those "useless diatribes." [Why should you guys have all the fun?]

I never had any problems at check points, back in Olden Times when I was the jefa traveling with three children. Although a couple of times soldiers asked if we had any fruit and I knew this wasn't an official policy because of a Med-fly invasion, I didn't mind donating a few oranges or bananas to poor souls stationed out in the desert umpteen hundred miles from anywhere.

I'm no longer behind the wheel and there are a lot more check points now--but we've still never had any problems. From what I've seen, families seem to get full-court-press inspections less often than surfer dudes and young men with scroungy beards.

Lera

Bob H - 12-22-2004 at 02:55 PM

Never, ever, throw your soiled toilet paper in the toilet to be flushed. Properly and neatly wrap it up and dispose of it in the trash can provided close by.

Sometimes that can ain't so neat, huh? :lol:

Bob H

Debra

Capt. George - 12-22-2004 at 06:05 PM

Ignore my last statement, it's just something I use to say to a very dear, though liberated lady friend.....

Banter, simply banter......

I love this site!

el Vikingo

My two cents...

bigzaggin - 12-23-2004 at 12:51 AM

1.) You are not a local. Don't act like one. Just because you've been posted up for a few days/weeks on the point, don't scowl at the next crew to arrive. You did not discover this or any punta. That you've been going there "since blah blah blah" does not justify giving attitude. If you want to be a crabby ass, go back to NorCal and hole up with your trusty mutt and cache of guns. Bajaparanoia - the irrational fear of "people" disovering "your spot" - will ruin the trip for both parties. Relax. Be selfless. Exhale. You will have a better time.

2.) Forget everything everyone has ever told you about proper packing. The single most important item for a quality Baja trip is a beer coozie. Tecates get warm fast. You will be the envy of you campmates.

marla - 12-23-2004 at 11:52 AM

Smile!
Stop and slow down and say "Buenos Dias."
Keep your gas tank half full.
Also, I am with Debra here. Speak as much Spanish as you can to everyone EXCEPT at the military checkpoints. Twice now they wanted me to unload my whole car and I just nodded agreeably like an idiot and kept on smiling like I didn't understand and finally they get frustrated and tell you to move on.

Bruce R Leech - 12-23-2004 at 12:45 PM

wouldn't it be better to cooperate with them it is there job to keep US all safe. and you would do a lot to eliminate the dumb American Gringo image if you don't play dumb.

bajalou - 12-23-2004 at 01:58 PM

My experience at a army checkpoint about 6 -7 years ago.

I was towing my 1970 VW Bus. - had lost a fan belt and burned the heads. Had several frustrating days before heading back with it in tow. Stopped by a checkpoint and was found to have counterband - amunition. No guns. The army unloaded the entire van including 10 boxes of business records that were on top. When they had looked thru them they reloaded all exactly as I had them. This all took about 2 hours. They radio'd thier commanders and then told me "The ammo is prohibited to all but the army, they clips will be returned to you at the headquarters in about a week if you wish to get them." I told them the clips were my gift to them, and went on down the road. The next day my girlfirend was going back the other way with the truck we were towing with, and they laughed with her about the ammo. Two days later I came thru with the Van. no problems - no extensive search. Then one pointed to a low tire and they changed it for me. All this because I didn't take time to do a double check before entering Mexico. Dumb move on my part. But in the old country, I would have been double checked each time I came by up until this day. I'm glad this was not the Border Patrol group.
Moral of this story - double check the things in your vehicle - you might have something you don't remember that causes problems..

:biggrin:

Dave - 12-23-2004 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
it is there job to keep US all safe.

From what?

Drogas y armas

jrbaja - 12-23-2004 at 02:35 PM

aren't they doing a good job :lol::lol::lol:

David K - 12-23-2004 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
1.) You are not a local. Don't act like one. Just because you've been posted up for a few days/weeks on the point, don't scowl at the next crew to arrive. You did not discover this or any punta. That you've been going there "since blah blah blah" does not justify giving attitude. If you want to be a crabby ass, go back to NorCal and hole up with your trusty mutt and cache of guns. Bajaparanoia - the irrational fear of "people" disovering "your spot" - will ruin the trip for both parties. Relax. Be selfless. Exhale. You will have a better time.

This is excellent. When I talked about or showed photos of my favorite beach, 'Shell Island' a few told me not to, that it would be ruined, etc.

Well, it looks the same as it did when I first camped out there in 1978 or since I stated my web site in 2000 with photos of the place.

People who read this web site are the good kind of Baja people, the kind that haul out their trash (and any other laying about) for example.

My daughter on Shell Island, 3 years ago.

Bruce R Leech - 12-24-2004 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
it is there job to keep US all safe.

From what?

Dave there are a lot of drugs here guns also , but if you take the time to talk with these solders They will show you photos of all the things they have stop from moving up and down the highway. and believe me it is a lot. I usually welcome the brake when I pull in to a military check point. what I don't CARE fore is the federal and state police check points. anything can happen at these.

GO FISH!

flyfishinPam - 12-24-2004 at 09:44 PM

woody with a view - 12-25-2004 at 05:12 PM

spring for the insurance.
go slow, and as someone said, "follow those dirt roads"
bring a "soul" attitude-"agro" won't do...
give yourself time to adjust to the new environs.

oops, that's more than "1 'peace' of advise". sorry.:P

[Edited on 12-26-2004 by woody in ob]

Bring no expectations so you can appreciate the difference

Mike Humfreville - 12-25-2004 at 09:58 PM

NFM

Capt. George - 12-26-2004 at 07:40 AM

Pam, my favorite statement when I was fishing the beaches of Cape Cod commercially.....Hey pal, anything happening. "Go Fish!"