BajaNomad

Veterinarian in TJ

Ateo - 8-14-2014 at 03:07 PM

Just got back from a Baja trip and I have an injured dog. Any vet recommendations in TJ?

I did a quick search here but came back with nothing. We are driving down the freeway right now so I will search again when I get home.

[Edited on 8-15-2014 by Ateo]

BajaGeoff - 8-14-2014 at 03:39 PM

My sister has used Dr. Alexander and has been very happy with their services:

http://clinicadoctoralexander.com.mx/#/Bienvenida

SFandH - 8-14-2014 at 03:51 PM

I like to go to Playas de Tijuana for my dental work and for the veterinarian needs of my two dogs. For me it beats downtown and it's non-stop from the border to the beach town, not even a stop sign. Here's my vet, he's a great guy. Knows his stuff. Very modern and clean clinic.

http://doctordeanimales.info/principal/

Ateo - 8-14-2014 at 04:13 PM

You guys rule. Thanks for coming thru with some info. Gracias.

My little dog is crying every time we pick her up and get her outta the truck. Something internal, like a back issue.

DENNIS - 8-14-2014 at 05:39 PM

If you want to bring her down to Ensenada, lemme know. My vet is surgeon for many other vets in town.

Ateo - 8-14-2014 at 06:33 PM

Bad news.................she has Intervertebral Disc Disease. We are all pretty bummed out right now. Thanks again for the Vet advice and DENNIS, I may take you up on your offer down the road if surgery becomes an option. Thanks Nomads.

woody with a view - 8-14-2014 at 06:35 PM

how about a pic of the pooch so we can all be bummed too!:no:

what's the prognosis?

Ateo - 8-14-2014 at 06:51 PM

Here she is in Baja 2 days ago:

Here she is right now:

Here she is crossing the border en route to Vet:

[Edited on 8-15-2014 by Ateo]

Ateo - 8-14-2014 at 06:59 PM

The prognosis sounds like a slow deterioration. Surgery is possible. Therapy of confinement.

Doctor said big changes are needed to fight off a quicker progression.

No camping. No Baja dirt roads. No stairs.

DENNIS - 8-14-2014 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Bad news.................she has Intervertebral Disc Disease. We are all pretty bummed out right now. Thanks again for the Vet advice and DENNIS, I may take you up on your offer down the road if surgery becomes an option. Thanks Nomads.

Just let me know, Jon. I'll get you all set up. This vet is as good as the area offers.

Ensenada

bajaguy - 8-14-2014 at 08:07 PM

Dr Antonio Pina.....the BEST

http://www.hospitalvet.net/english/about.html

Paulina - 8-14-2014 at 08:40 PM

I will second the recommendation for Dr. Antonio Pena. He saved my Mastif's broken leg. I had taken the dog to another local Ensenada vet who kept the dog, did the surgery and sent it home with a cast with orders to see my regular vet upon returning stateside. A friend in Punta Banda suggested I see Dr. Pena for a second opinion. Dr. Pena took x-rays through the cast and found that surgery wasn't done, the other vet put the cast over the severely broken bones, thinking I would go back stateside none the wiser.
He did such an amazing job repairing the bones and knowing how to handle such a big dog. He also did orthopedic surgery on my bulldog, and helped with training issues with another dog that was showing aggressive behavior.
Dr. Pena became my regular vet. I drove from L. A., that's how good he is.
I haven't seen Dr. Pena for a few years now, however this post came at a perfect time, as our Boerboel hurt his toe pretty badly here in Bahia. We were going to take him up to Dr. Pena if it didnt get better. Thank you for posting his contact information.

I hope your dog gets better. It's hard to see them hurting.

P>*)))>{

Ateo - 8-14-2014 at 09:18 PM

Thanks bajaguy and Paulina. I'm adding this thread to my favorites for future retrieval. I really appreciate the time you took to pass along your experience and information. Currently the pooch is sedated and it's sad to see her trying to stay upright when the drugs want to make her fall over. Thanks again. Like I said, thanks for all the outstanding referrals. I trust you guys and gals.

SFandH - 8-15-2014 at 05:44 AM

Sorry about your dog.

Here's an informative 10 minute video and a good write-up by a vet. She says it's the same problem as a "slipped" or herniated disk in humans.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/201...

On a related issue - It's flea and tick time, be prepared with Frontline or something similar.

[Edited on 8-15-2014 by SFandH]

DENNIS - 8-15-2014 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Dr Antonio Pina.....the BEST

http://www.hospitalvet.net/english/about.html

My choice as well.

Archie - 8-15-2014 at 07:36 AM

I hope Dr. Peña changed his ways in the last few years.

I took our dogs with him when he had the clinic at calle 9, more than ten years ago. Hes great at diagnosis and surgery, but has one of the chittiest attitudes you can expect from a professional, hes arrogant and very rude with pet owners, not the pets.

I´ve seen too how many of his colleagues that started working with him (emiko, barbara, gildardo, paola), started businesses on their own and people followed them, just because we didnt like the scolding from the person its suppossed to give you comfort and reassurance in a stressful situation.

I parted from him last year, when he didnt answered calls to his emergency line and personall cell phone number, for attending a severe case of bloat wich turned in the loss of my dearest friend. It was not the first time, i know of more cases where he just woudnt pick up the phone after 9 pm or before 9 am.

For him pets are just a business, for me and others, pets are our only family.

BajaLucy - 8-15-2014 at 09:52 AM

Thank you, for all your info. We will keep in mind when need it Gracias!
Taking time on posting all your guys info much aprèscite Now our poor Coco (girl) is not the same as she used to but hopefully with meds and life style changes make her life less pain... It's soo sad she's only 3yrs old Big bummer. Thank you everyone

DENNIS - 8-15-2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Archie
I hope Dr. Peña changed his ways in the last few years.

I never saw this from Antonio, but I can see where he could get a little c-cky if he wanted to.
Thanks for a view from the other side, Archie. :light:

DENNIS - 8-15-2014 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLucy
Thank you, for all your info. We will keep in mind when need it Gracias!
Taking time on posting all your guys info much aprèscite Now our poor Coco (girl) is not the same as she used to but hopefully with meds and life style changes make her life less pain... It's soo sad she's only 3yrs old Big bummer. Thank you everyone

Prayers are with you and Coco, Lucy. Quality of life is everything.

Dr Pena

J.P. - 8-15-2014 at 01:10 PM

He is the best vet in Ensenada and one of the nicest people in Baja.
He always treats us with the upmost kindness and our German Shepard Chula Loves Him.
I had him put down my Boston Terrier that was 16 and was dying . During the process I noticed a tear roll down his cheek this Man loves Animals
He has my upmost Respect and loyalty.

Ateo - 8-18-2014 at 04:54 PM

Well we took her to a vet in TJ today and are trying to weigh our options. They diagnosed same issue and can do a surgery but also mentioned an IV treatment that would require her to stay for three days. The USA vet didn't mention this as a treatment so I'm a tad skeptical. Hmmmmmmm. Trying to find out what's in this IV before making a decision. How could an IV help an issue like a slipped disk/degenerate disc disorder?

She can't move her back legs and it's not looking good.

It's hard for me to believe she was fine a little over a week ago and now she's almost paralyzed.

DENNIS - 8-18-2014 at 06:19 PM

Perhaps you need a fast second opinion.

CaboMagic - 8-18-2014 at 06:47 PM

Dear Ateo - my heart hurt reading your post ..

In 1996 we were faced with a similar dilemma .. PJ suddenly began to scream/shriek in pain trying to stand .. the xrays and exam produced the same diagnosis .. we opted for the surgery but 3 days later we made the dreadfully painful decision for euthanasia so that PJ could join the other fur-babies (ours and 'yours) waiting for him, and be out of excruciating pain ... sadly I think now that our choice for surgery was for us, not for PJ .

Please accept our heartfelt internet hug ..

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by CaboMagic] edit to try and include a photo ..

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by CaboMagic]

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by CaboMagic]

PJ resize2.jpg - 35kB

vgabndo - 8-18-2014 at 10:49 PM

So sorry Jon, I hope you find some good news.

Mulegena - 8-19-2014 at 01:41 AM

Urge you to get that second opinion, friend.

Has there been trauma that might have induced this sudden-onset orthopedic issue? Be sure to rule-out other causes for your pup's condition.

Many things to consider in a definitive diagnosis.

SFandH - 8-19-2014 at 06:38 AM

Ateo,

Here's a write-up that contains a lot of info and a recovery rate table that may help in making treatment decisions. Small dogs do the best.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/nervous_system/diseases_of_t...

Also, perhaps there is a misunderstanding about the IV treatment. According to the link below, the openings in the vertebrae that the spinal cord goes through are called Intervertebral Foramen, abbreviated IV Foramen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intra_Vertebral_Foramen

Specifically for dogs:

Link

I'm hoping for the best of outcomes.

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by SFandH]

Ateo - 8-19-2014 at 08:01 AM

You guys and gals are great. Thanks for the kind words, wisdom, and advice. Thanks for taking the time.

Mulegena: The only trauma I can think of that might have brought this on was a 60 mile Baja dirt road we recently drove down, although I seem to remember her crying when we got her out of the truck while leaving the USA. I can't remember now. We've seen 2 veterinarians now. Both same diagnostic.

SFandH: Thanks for that link. She's a very small dog so I guess that's good news.

CaboMagic: Thanks for the kind words and internet hug.

Perry: Thanks amigo.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Mulegena - 8-19-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo...
Mulegena: The only trauma I can think of that might have brought this on was a 60 mile Baja dirt road we recently drove down, although I seem to remember her crying when we got her out of the truck while leaving the USA. I can't remember now. We've seen 2 veterinarians now. Both same diagnostic...
I'll keep y'all posted.
How is her digestion? What was she eating before the trip, during the trip; is she eating now? How old is she? Is her tummy hard or soft, painful when palpated deeply? Do you have a stethoscope and listen to her intestines; there should be bowel sounds. Has she had stomach x-rays or abdominal ultrasound? Is she on any meds prior to this incident? Is she truly paralyzed or reluctant to move due to pain? Has she had spinal x-rays?

I ask this, not to challenge the doctors' diagnoses, but to broaden the focus of inquiry.
You and your family love your fur-girl, as it should be.

Edited to add, is she running a temperature; should be about 101F rectally. Is she drinking water and staying hydrated, peeing and pooping normally?

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by Mulegena]

Ateo - 8-19-2014 at 05:36 PM

Thanks for your questions Mulegena. You are a caring Nomad.

Her digestion is normal. She was eating her normal food before, during, and after the trip. We did throw her a few pieces of carne and stuff while we we're camping. The Dr. used a stethoscope to examine her body, including the stomach region. She had stomach x-rays as well as spinal X-rays. She's not on any meds. She is truly paralyzed in her hind legs as far as I can tell. You can see her fighting to use those legs to no avail. No temperature. We have been keeping her hydrated. She can't dip her head down to get water so we have to raise the water to her. As of right now she needs us to help feed her, as well as assist in her bathroom activities, which she really has no control over.

It's not looking good. She has gone downhill extremely fast.

Here's a list of the stages:

Stage I disc disease produces mild pain and is usually self-correcting in a few days.
Stage II disc disease causes moderate to severe pain in the neck or lumbar (lower back) area.
Stage III disc disease causes partial paralysis (paresis) and results in the dog walking in staggering or uncoordinated movements.
Stage IV disc disease causes paralysis but the ability to feel is present.
Stage V disc disease causes paralysis and loss of feeling.

I think she has stage IV. This weekend she showed signs of stage III.

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by Ateo]

SFandH - 8-19-2014 at 05:54 PM

Bummer.

DENNIS - 8-19-2014 at 05:55 PM

You need to make a decision soon, Jon. It's what you have to do.

Mulegena - 8-19-2014 at 06:20 PM

So sorry to hear this.
Love & support her and let her rest as you say you're doing; she had a big, bumpy trip down Baja which she loved as much as the rest of her family.
Consider treatment options and prognosis.
Our thoughts are with her and all of you.

fandango - 8-19-2014 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
You need to make a decision soon, Jon. It's what you have to do.

Seems this has deteriorated so quickly. Very sorry Jon.

Love her til the very end.

Ateo - 8-19-2014 at 09:07 PM

We have made our decision. Such a sad day here for us, but we showered her with love, attention, and joy. Coco is a tough. Always has been. Thank you all for your thoughts and help.

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by Ateo]

Ateo - 8-19-2014 at 09:13 PM

We celebrated a birthday today amongst the sadness. Happy birthday Lucy.

CaboMagic - 8-20-2014 at 07:42 AM

Greetings of the day Ateo - I cried for you/your family last night .. and now I've asked PJ to welcome your baby and introduce her to everyone there ..

Its just not fair they don't get to live as long as we want them to, and making 'that' decision is awful ..

More cyber hugs to all of you.

Mulegena - 8-20-2014 at 08:19 AM

Blessings to you all, each and every one of sweet Coco's family.

She'll be there to greet you when you, too, walk on and cross over the Rainbow Bridge.

Till then, see you all celebrating her spirit, so joyful in Baja.

Sandlefoot - 8-20-2014 at 09:17 AM

Dogs, being the only thing created that loves without bounds or limits, become a large part of our lives. They encompass our hearts before we can place limits on our feelings for them. Unless you are a "dog person" you might not understand how subtle and strong this connection can be, and there is a reason! When all things were created they were destined to live to perfection. Now, understanding dogs and how they love, it is easy to see they are closer to perfection when they get here. So it is only reasonable to see they don't have to live here as long as we do to meet that level of being perfect. I have lost many "loved ones" through the years, and am a better person for having each one in my life. I like to think I would aspire to become the person my dog thinks I am! And they all live on through the memories we created together. I understand where you are!

Try to find those Happy Trails again

DENNIS - 8-20-2014 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
and now I've asked PJ to welcome your baby and introduce her to everyone there ..

My LuLu will be among the first to greet Coco at the gate. I had to send her on her way just a couple of months back. I cry like a baby just writing this.

Ateo - 8-20-2014 at 05:41 PM

You guys are great. Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to leave it at that, but just know you helped raise my spirits.

Gracias.

DENNIS - 8-20-2014 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
quote]

My LuLu will be among the first to greet Coco at the gate. I had to send her on her way just a couple of months back. I cry like a baby just writing this.

Forgot to mention the cool part.....LuLu was cremated. The vet's office set this up for me. It cost around $125 dollars, and LuLu still gets to go to town with me. She sits in the front seat so she can see down the road. She always enjoyed that. [thank you Paulina and Dern]

[Edited on 8-21-2014 by DENNIS]

Maron - 8-21-2014 at 04:02 PM

So sorry for your loss. Have had to make that same awful decision, more than once. Grieve and grieve hard. When the time is right, there will be another wonderful dog for you. Not a replacement, that doesn't happen, but one who only want to love and be loved.

Peace

Ron and Mary Ann