BajaNomad

Geocache and Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas

Pages:  1  

bajagerman - 8-17-2014 at 05:06 AM

I have been a member of the crew wich built the solar plant at Las Barrancas. My job has been to deliver telephon as well as data connections to the solar plant. Therefore i had to plan and realise a radio link from Las Barrancas via a relay station on top off a hill to Ciudad Constitucion. Have been tree times there first for site survey, than for buildt up the system and make training with my mexican crew, and finally for warranty checks. I know that all the material of the plant for 90 millions DM is going to somewhere. I received photos about that. By Google Earth i find out the place where i placed the Radio Relay Repeater on the hill. As i may see i believe also there is all material lost. Due to the fact that i am about 9400 KM away from this place i try to find somebody who is willing to go to this place take photos and send me the photos. Also i believe it will be a good place to bring a geocache to this position. You have a fantastic view over the Baja California from there. I wrote a report of my activitys in the Project Sontlan as well i placed several pictures under:
www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de/sontlan.html
A person who will do it will get from me a video with information during the construction time at Baja California.
For the geochache you will find information under:
www.geocaching.com and there type in GC6GP8N
Also i will assist you if you have no knowledge about geocaching.

The geocache is placed now. Please have a look at my post 9.5.2016 in this thread about the details.

Best regards Joachim

Hamburg/Germany

[Edited on 8-17-2014 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 8-23-2014 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 8-28-2014 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by bajagerman]

StuckSucks - 8-17-2014 at 05:51 AM

Here?

http://goo.gl/maps/Ec0Kt

Appears to require a little bit of work to get there.

David K - 8-17-2014 at 09:03 AM

There is a thread on Las Barrancas solar plant and Graham posted photos from his visit there when it was being built.

HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68323

Thanks for this link bajagerman: http://www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de/Sontlan.html

bajagerman - 8-17-2014 at 11:02 AM

I have edited my first post. Please have look there again to clear my wishes.

ncampion - 8-17-2014 at 11:31 AM

Boy, that looks like it could be a fun ride on my moto. Looks like a one-way and back trip, but still fun. I might try it in a week or two.

TMW - 8-17-2014 at 11:38 AM

I'm not planning on being in the area until the Baja 1000 in November. It would make for an interesting exploring trip. I'm sure someone will get there before Nov. but if not I'll make a detour either going or coming. Bump this up from time to time to keep us updated.

bajagerman - 8-17-2014 at 11:45 AM

Hi ncampion, that is nice to hear. Do you have experience with geocache. If not i will assist you and place the cache at www.geocaching.com
At the area Las Barrancas to Ciudad Constitucion there is no cache placed at all until now. If you send me some photos and place the cache i will send you a video from the build up Sontlan Project at Las Barrancas.

Kind regards Joachim from Hamburg in Germany

David K - 8-17-2014 at 05:54 PM

Geocaching in Baja began about 14 years ago... Timothy Walker and friend Robert hid the very first one, and my friends and I in the Viva Baja 4WD van were the first to find it... in July 2001 (between Gonzaga and Coco's Corner).

Many Nomads are also Geo-Cachers... I hid 3 or 4 back in 2001, and one may still be active? Baja Bucko hid one in a great remote spot along the Franciscan's cargo trail between Gonzaga Bay and their San Fernando mission.

http://geocaching.com

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by David K]

4x4abc - 8-17-2014 at 06:49 PM

Joachim,

warum willste denn Bilder haben von ner Anlage, die (wahrscheinlich) nicht mehr da ist?
Kann da mal hinfahren, aber dann schuldest du mir ein paar grosse Biere. 6 Stunden Fahrzeit, $100 Benzin.

why would you want pictures of an installation that is (most likely) gone to hell?
I can drive up to that spot, but you'll owe me a few big beers. 6 hours driving time from La Paz, $100 in gas.

bajagerman - 8-18-2014 at 09:13 AM

The next geocache to Las Barrancas i have seen is in Loreto. Ncampion makes the offer maby to go there and make some photos. I am interested at photos from the relaystation position as i have been there for 30 years and like to see what has change. I believe too that nothing ist left from the material but from there you will have a fantastic look over the Baja California. Special the direction to Las Barrancas (about 314 degrees azimut) is interesting to compare with my old photos. And to place a geocache on top of the hill will be a good idea i hope so. I have been amazed how clear the way up the hill by Google Earth will be seen.

Joachim from Hamburg in Germany

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajagerman]

micah202 - 8-18-2014 at 09:22 AM

....forget geocache--tell us you left a goldcache,,,watch the tires -fly-!!;);):):cool:

StuckSucks - 8-18-2014 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm not planning on being in the area until the Baja 1000 in November.

Ditto with me. I'll be in the area of Loreto, C. Insurgentes, La Purisima and La Paz - back and forth multiple times prerunning and race.

ncampion - 8-18-2014 at 03:48 PM

I'm trying to put together a GPS track to the location, hope to get up there in about a week from now.

bajagerman - 8-19-2014 at 04:46 AM

This is great news ncampion. Will already prepare the Sontlan/Las Barrancas Video for you. Will send you later also a direct email.

bajagerman - 8-19-2014 at 04:51 AM

Hi 4x4abc, Harald have send you a direct email. Has this mail arrived?
Joachim

4x4abc - 8-22-2014 at 07:34 PM

so, I went to climb "Mount Everest" 2 days ago.
Even though only 900 yards of a moderate climb, I made only 500 and had to give up.
The fact that my (Mexican) dog refused to continue was a strong indicator that enough was enough.
On good days I would run up and down that road 10 times a day. Not this time.

Access was very difficult. Fences and gates everywhere. Some locked. Got the key from a nearby rancho.

http://www.baja101.com/Baja-GPS/access.kmz

pictures will follow

4x4abc - 8-22-2014 at 07:50 PM

as you see, the dog was pooped

rain had made much of the road almost impassable

fences everywhere (that stupid mountain in the background)

[Edited on 2-9-2015 by BajaNomad]

TMW - 8-23-2014 at 09:29 AM

bajagerman, did you request the radio frequencies from Mexico or did the Mexicans assign you the frequencies?

bajagerman - 8-23-2014 at 01:30 PM

Hi TW, i don´t understand your question correct. We request the frequencies and the mexican goverment assign it yes that is true. Generaly i had planed in the beginning frequencies in the GHz range. But the topografic maps, 30 years ago, have been quit poor. So due to safety reasons i use frequencies in the 2 m band which are not so critical against obstacles in the line of sight..

[Edited on 8-23-2014 by bajagerman]

TMW - 8-23-2014 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. When I was working in San Diego at KNSD-TV we worked with the Mexican equivalent of the FCC (SCT I think) and I was told the Mexican government assigned the frequencies. In the US various groups have assigned frequencies such as business band, broadcast bands etc. which we pick frequencies from based on non-interference. But at the time, early 1990s, Mexico would assign a frequency to say a broadcaster and an adjacent channel frequency to a taxi. rather confusing to say the least. We had a rather funny situation involving the governor of Baja's security channels being on one of our two way radio channels. I was just curious if they told you what frequency to use or if you got to say what you wanted. I noted that on two of your sites the frequencies for the TX and RX is 5.85Mhz apart and the other is 4.575Mhz, interesting.

bajagerman - 8-24-2014 at 12:46 AM

Hi TW, you are rigth with the frequencies. But i calculated it this way to have no interferences and it works fine finallay. By the way maby you own a radio amateur licence and knows some people from the San Diego Repeater Association? I know quite well Bob Boehme W2IRI. He worked formerly for Ametek Strazza a company which designed and produce doppler sonar underwater systems. So i introduced this systems in Germany and we used it at huge supertanker as well as at the german navy vessel. This systems measured the speed and motions over ground. We had no GPS this time but the Transit system wich deliver a fix (a correct position) about all 50 minutes. The time inbetween you must navigate with dead reckoning wich was not so good with a normal ships Log. But Transit with a Doppler sonar and the ships gyro deliver a very accurate position all the time. So Bob and me design this systems this times. So if you know him send him my best greetings

TMW - 8-24-2014 at 09:53 AM

I don't have an amateur license. I know some amateur radio people in San Diego but not Bob. I'll pass your message along to them in case they know him.

bajagerman - 9-3-2014 at 05:12 AM

If you type in at Google Earth 25 38 56.78 N 111 48 32.07 W you will come directly to the place where i pointed the Radio Relay station for the project Sontlan 1983. I placed there now two photos about the installation and the final stage. Until the placement of the geocache at this position i heard nothing news until now. Watch the post from either ncampion or from 4x4abc.

bajagerman - 2-9-2015 at 02:06 AM

Maby now is the time after Odile to discus again the possibility to take photos at the place of the former relay station and place a geocache there.

bajagerman - 2-15-2015 at 02:29 AM

Odile stopped all activitys. But now is hope again that mid of march the
photos from top of the relay hill will be taken. To the same time the new geocache will be placed at this outstanding location.

[Edited on 2-15-2015 by bajagerman]

bajagerman - 4-27-2015 at 07:54 AM

I hope everything goes well and in this case we will have a geocache at top of rhe radio relay hill :-)

bajagerman - 5-9-2016 at 07:03 AM

We are now in may 2016 and the work is done. A geocache is placed and I received photos from top of the radio relay hill. My original idea has been to place the Memoriam Sonntlan geocache at top of the radio relay hill. From there you will have a fantastic view over the Baja California. The first who investigate the area there has been Harald 4x4abc. During summertime 2014 he try to climb up the hill to take some photos. But he run into problems which are before unknown to me. All around the Radio hill are now fences and gates which make it difficulty to arrive the “parking place” position. This produce a lot of delay to him and finally he gave up to arrive the top. Please see his report in this threat about the problems. To my time there have been no fences and gates at all.

Later on ncampion offers me to climb up the hill and take photos there. But than the hurricane Odile arrives the Baja California and stops all activities.

Longer time after Odile I placed a new call at this threat. Tom TMW and his friend Bill offers me to have a look to the radio hill. Also both, coming from the north, running into fences and gates. At a ranch the meet the owner of it, Mr. Salvador. He said the way up the hill is very difficulty due to heavy rain just before. So the stop further activities that time.

In April 2016 Tom wrote me they start a new expedition with a team to Baja California. We discussed about the place of the geocache. We decided it not to place on top the hill it will to difficulty to go to this place instead Tom made another proposal. After return of the expedition I get the confirmation pictures from the radio hill are taken and the geocache is placed.

As I wrote in this threat I offer the following: the first three geocache hunter which find this geocache will receive from me a video of the constructions time of project Sonntlan Baja California.

The first three geocache hunter must do the following:
Open the geocache box and write to the logbook name, date and time. Make a photo about the content of the box as well as a photo from the logbook entry. Note down the codeword which is placed inside the box. Send me a mail with attached photos as well as the codeword to joachim.paul@gmx.com in return I will send you the video of the constructions time of project Sonntlan as mail attachment in several pieces.

The details to the geocache you will find at www.geocaching.com and there with the code GC6GP8N. Position of the geocache 25 47.900 N 111 59.260 W
If you found the geocache please sign in to www.geocaching.com and confirm your finding details there.

At www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de and there under “Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas” you will find a lot of details as well as many pictures of it.

Happy geocache hunting wishes:
Joachim
from Hamburg in Germany

BornFisher - 5-9-2016 at 07:50 AM

Geo listing------ https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6GP8N_memorian-sonntla...

bajagerman - 5-18-2016 at 09:52 AM

The first geocache at Baja California Sur westcoast is placed now.
Have a look to www.geocaching.com and the code GC6GP8N

At www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de and there under “Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas” you will find a lot of details as well as many pictures of it.

bajagerman - 6-9-2016 at 06:20 AM

We still waiting for the first finder of this geocache.
Of course this place is a challenge but the first 3 finder will receive a video from me and will earn the honor :-). For the detail please look to:
www.geocaching.com and the code GC6GP8N

bajagerman - 2-20-2017 at 06:40 AM

We anyway still waiting for the first finder of this geocache.
Of course this place is a real challenge but the first 3 finder will receive a video from me and will earn the honor :-). For the details please look to:
www.geocaching.com and the code GC6GP8N

David K - 2-20-2017 at 10:11 AM

Of related interest. one of the GeoCaches I hid in Baja back in 2001 is still active and getting an occasional find.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6CB_viva-baja-2

bajafam - 2-20-2017 at 11:47 AM

Since we are sharing caches :)
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6D989_silvers-spot

This was placed 12/01/15 near Bahia Asuncion ~ no finders yet! Maybe the person that finds your cache can find mine too!

bajagerman - 2-21-2017 at 12:37 AM

Thank you for the reply. To find this geocache is not so easy. But it is possible. Here in Germany a lot of people hunting caches. So i have little hope that i may send the video from project Sonntlan to somebody

bajagerman - 2-21-2017 at 02:27 AM

Tom (TWDOE34) and his team placed the geocache.
Thank you Tom again for it. In April 2017 Tom will go
to inspect the geocache at his location.
If you are interested about the history of the project Sontlan at Las Barancas have a look to www.dj7wl.darc.de/Sontlan.html there you will find also hints about the position of the geocache which is placed in memorian of this project between Mexico and Germany.

4x4abc - 2-21-2017 at 11:52 AM

the location is so not-attractive and difficult to reach (fences, ranchos etc) why would anyone want to go there?

David K - 2-21-2017 at 12:00 PM

Isn't it on top of a little mountain with a commanding view? I need to look again, I guess? The story is a very German-Mexican thing, like you Harald! ;)

Edit: I just looked at the location on Google Earth and it is at the base of that hill, which is near where the Comondú and La Purísima highways split, at Ejido Francisco Villa, and La Poza Grande is very close, too.

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by David K]

TMW - 2-21-2017 at 01:39 PM

Harald it is not at the ranch we were at. That was where the radio relay site was. The cache is north near La Poza Grande. Easy drive in.

4x4abc - 2-21-2017 at 02:18 PM

sorry, my bad.

bajagerman - 5-6-2017 at 03:35 AM

Tom has been at Baja California April 2017 and inspected the location of this geocache. Everything is in a good shape. This geocache has been placed in memory of the project Sonntlan. This project has been, to the time of installation, the largest solar energy field worldwide. It was built as a cooperation between Mexico and Germany for 90 Millions Deutsche Mark at Las Barrancas Baja California Sur.
At www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de and there under “Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas“ you will find a lot of details as well as many pictures of it.
In April 2016 Tom wrote me they start a new expedition with a team to Baja California. We discussed about the place of the geocache. We decided it not to place on top the hill it will to difficulty to go to this place instead Tom made another proposal. After return of the expedition I get the confirmation pictures from the radio hill are taken and the geocache is placed.
The details to the geocache you will find at www.geocaching.com and there with the code GC6GP8N. Position of the geocache 25 47.900 N 111 59.260 W

As I wrote in this threat i offer the following: the first three geocache hunter which find this geocache will receive from me a video of the constructions time of project Sonntlan Baja California.
Joe

David K - 5-6-2017 at 11:32 AM

Very cool!:cool:

bajagerman - 11-1-2017 at 10:00 AM

Tom has been at Baja California April 2017 and inspected the location of this geocache. Everything is in a good shape. This geocache has been placed in memory of the project Sonntlan. This project has been, to the time of installation, the largest solar energy field worldwide. It was built as a cooperation between Mexico and Germany for 90 Millions Deutsche Mark at Las Barrancas Baja California Sur.
At www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de and there under “Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas“ you will find a lot of details as well as many pictures of it.

As I wrote in this threat i offer the following: the first three geocache hunter which find this geocache will receive from me a video of the constructions time of project Sonntlan Baja California.
Joe

gueribo - 11-1-2017 at 10:33 AM

220px-Facebook_like_thumb_2.png - 3kB

Las Barrancas 2017

David K - 11-1-2017 at 12:07 PM

Took a couple photos of the abandoned buildings, a couple months ago...

[Edited on 9-17-2021 by David K]

bajagerman - 11-2-2017 at 04:04 AM

Hello David,
i am interested at further and new photos of the Sonntlan plant. If you allow, I will placed it inside my homepage about the Sonntlan Project. http://www.dj7wl.darc.de/ There you will find my report under:
„Ein Forschungsprojekt der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und eine Wette“ „ Memorian Sonntlan Geocache look here“.
Yes, there will be a spezial hint about the geocache. You will find a lot of photos at this place. I wrote the report in english language.

You may send the photos to me via this mail address DJ7WL@gmx.eu

In the meantime, more then about 6300 people have had a look to this contribution but until now nobody has found the geocache, placed by Tom and his crew at the Baja California early in april 2016. In the meantime Tom has been again there and inspected the geocache, all has been ad good shape.
So i`m woundering me a bit that nobody is able and willing to find this geocache ïŠ. The video of the constructions time of the project Sonntlan is still waiting for the first 3 finders. As I see it at the geocache homepage, this geocache is the only one at this part of the Baja California.

[Edited on 11-2-2017 by bajagerman]

David K - 11-2-2017 at 09:41 AM

Email with photos sent!

bajagerman - 11-13-2017 at 09:31 AM

Things have come full circle. "bornfisher" is the first finder of the "Memorian Sonntlan" geocache. For further details look to:
www.dj7wl.darc.de
There click to: "Ein Forschungsprojekt der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und eine Wette" all is in english language.

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by bajagerman]

bajagerman - 11-16-2017 at 11:25 AM

Geocache2.jpg - 52kB

bajagerman - 11-25-2017 at 03:36 AM

With this geocache it is quiet a long story. “Sonntlan†has been a common project between Mexico and Germany.
The German Goverment spends 90 millions Deutsche Mark for it. You may read the full story at my Sonntlan Homepage. www.dj7wl.darc.de and there please click to: „Ein Forschungsprojekt der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und eine Wette“ all in english language.

But the geocache is a different story. We had a family meeting with our childrens and grandchildrens in the year Jun 2014.
My oldest granddaughter should give a lecture about solar energy at her school, so she ask my some questions.
Finally she ask me the question, how is the situation at the Sonntlan plant now, everythink is working fine?
I answher, i have no idea at all. But after that meeting i startet to find it out. Finally i found the baja nomad forum.
There has been already this threat: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68323 with a discussion about the Sonntlan project.
At 08-17-2014 i opened my own threat at baja nomad forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74962
You may read the full story about the geocache here. Some more details you will find at my Sonntlan Homepage: www.dj7wl.darc.de

In german language it means „The circle has closed“ in englisch language is maby better to say “Things have come full circle†so “bornfisher†has been the first finder of the geocache Memorian Sonntlan.

But now we all waiting for the next finder of this geocache. Also she or he will receive from me the original Video about the constructions time of the project Sonntlan at the places Ciudad de Constitucion, the relais station at top of the hill and the system itself at Las Barrancas.

From this next finder I like very much to receive photos about the way to the geocache as well as photos about the surrounding of the geocache position. If she or he likes it I will place this photo either here at this forum or at my homepage www.dj7wl.darc.de

[Edited on 12-20-2017 by bajagerman]

bajagerman - 12-20-2017 at 09:57 AM

If you find the geocache maby the content will look similar due to this box.

But now we all waiting for the next finder of this geocache. Also she or he will receive from me the original Video about the constructions time of the project Sonntlan at the places Ciudad de Constitucion, the relais station at top of the hill and the system itself at Las Barrancas.

From this next finder I like very much to receive photos about the way to the geocache as well as photos about the surrounding of the geocache position. If she or he likes it I will place this photo either here at this forum or at my homepage www.dj7wl.darc.de

geobox.JPG - 93kB

bajagerman - 4-8-2018 at 12:46 AM

bajagerman - 6-22-2018 at 04:27 AM

BajaBlanca - 6-23-2018 at 05:55 AM

Sounds like Tom and/or Bornfisher have a new challenge!

bajagerman - 12-25-2018 at 05:07 AM

Happy XMas for all off you. In north of germany no snow at all.

John Harper - 12-25-2018 at 08:53 AM

So, when you find one of these geocache boxes, do you add an item of your own to it? I see an odd assortment of items inside, what did you put in there at first, and why? Golf ball, towel, etc? Any kind of register to sign like at summits?

John

Bubba - 12-25-2018 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
So, when you find one of these geocache boxes, do you add an item of your own to it? I see an odd assortment of items inside, what did you put in there at first, and why? Golf ball, towel, etc? Any kind of register to sign like at summits?

John

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

David K - 12-25-2018 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

In the old days of Geocaching (2001+) you would (if you wanted to) take a trinket from a geocache and leave a different one, sign the log book, and leave a message, then get online and register your find and add a note there.

It was a fun hide-and-seek game using GPS devices. My kids and I did it when they were interested and it was fun to do while four-wheeling and hiking with my kids. We found many and we also hid a few... 4 in Baja and one is still active in Baja (amazingly). The newspaper did an article on geocaching with me, even.

The kids grew up and I grew old... but for many old folks and young, it is still a fun game and they are accumulating thousands of 'finds' on their www.geocaching.com account!

John Harper - 12-25-2018 at 09:23 AM

Seems like fun little activity that gets people outdoors. Nothing wrong with that.

John

StuckSucks - 12-26-2018 at 12:23 PM

I have the Indian Pass Geocache, the oldest geocache in Imperial County, CA.

StuckSucks - 1-3-2019 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What do you mean, you have it?

We planted the cache in the desert.

StuckSucks - 1-3-2019 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
OK, but why did you call yourself Dick Dorkin? LOL :lol:

A pseudonym. Worthy of a (boring) discussion around a campfire some day.

David K - 1-3-2019 at 05:27 PM

I like 'StuckSucks' better!

bajagerman - 8-13-2019 at 12:25 PM

Hi, we still waiting for the next finder. It will be not so difficulty to find this geocache. Of course the way itself to this place is maby the challenge. Many greatings to all of you from bajagerman in the distant Germany.

You may read the full story about the solar project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas
Baja California under www.dj7wl.darc.de/Sontlan.html

[Edited on 8-13-2019 by bajagerman]

bajagerman - 8-16-2019 at 05:49 AM

At Youtube you will find now a video: https://youtu.be/A210bOGgVmU
There is also a comment in english language in addition to this video.
Due to logistic purposes the Radio Link has been the first part of the project Sonntlan. One year later i have been again at Baja California.
To this time the Solar Project has been ready for full use. Details you will find under: www.dj7wl.darc.de/Sontlan.html

bajagerman - 8-19-2019 at 01:37 AM

Hi lencho,
have been tree times at Baja California. First time for site survey,second time for installation and setting up, and the following year for small updates and readjusting. for the planning time in front of the project i had only very poor geomaps of this area. Typically i use for a radio-link a frequency of 7 GHz, but therefore you need a free line of sight. Not possible to use it here. So I make the decision to use a frequency in the 2 m range. This frequency is not so sensitive about obstacles in the line of sight. From top of the mast you can´t see either Las Barranca as well as Cd. Constitucion. For the pointing of the Yagis I only use a compass. But finally it works fine, telefon and data telemetry always good between Las Barrancas and Germany.

David K - 8-19-2019 at 07:17 AM

Will you ever go back to Baja California?

bajagerman - 8-19-2019 at 10:13 AM

Hi David,
it makes not much sense to go again to Baja California due to the fact nothing is left from the 90 Millions DM project. Each year I have been at Baja California I visited my friend Bob at San Diego but he is now ill as well as also his husband. He was working for a company Ametek Strazza at San Diego and we work together at a special doppler sonar system for huge tankships as well as for military purposes. But general I like the area there and also the people have been always kind to me.
Whats about if you are there next time to find the geocache. :D

del mar - 8-19-2019 at 10:18 AM

hey "what3words" that mister pisto posted works for geocaching too!

https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page...

bajagerman - 8-19-2019 at 10:43 AM

Ok if you like to find the Sonntlan geocache here is the 3 Words position

seasoned.formats.recorded

TMW - 8-19-2019 at 09:04 PM

We went to the top of the relay hill in April of 2016 and also planted the geocache. Not much left on the hill. Here is the trip report go down about 1/3 for the pictures.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83006

bajagerman - 8-20-2019 at 02:32 AM

Hi lencho, pointing with the yagis is not so critical, we pointing only by compass and as i remember me fine adjustment has been not necessary. The distance from relay to Ciudad Constitucion 70 KM and relay to Las Barrancas 55 KM.

Of course if you use a 7 GHz dish antenna fine pointing is absolutely neccessary. This below is a dish for 7 GHz, it was a project i have done Sudan/Afrika

Dish 7 GHz.jpg - 89kB

[Edited on 8-20-2019 by bajagerman]

bajagerman - 8-20-2019 at 02:55 AM

TMW is my hero, he and his crew finally visited the radio hill as well placed the geocache.

the full story about the project Sonntlan you may read at:
www.dj7wl.darc.de/Sontlan.html in english language.

Also i placed a link for the video produced by a analog camera here:
https://youtu.be/A210bOGgVmU
There are a english comments, spoken by me.

bajagerman - 10-8-2019 at 04:39 AM

During the time of installation the project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas i produced a video. Under https://youtu.be/A210bOGgVmU you may find this video

bajagerman - 11-17-2019 at 12:14 AM

There is new activity about this geocache at Baja California

[Edited on 11-17-2019 by bajagerman]

Geocache Sonntlan.jpg - 101kB

bajagerman - 4-4-2020 at 02:41 AM

The full story about the project Sonntlan you may read at:
www.dj7wl.darc.de/Sontlan.html in english language

bajagerman - 4-4-2020 at 04:41 AM

Also i have produced a video about the installation and setup the system. At the following link you may see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A210bOGgVmU

bajagerman

bajagerman - 5-20-2020 at 04:43 AM

bajagerman - 9-23-2020 at 12:46 AM

bajagerman - 10-7-2020 at 03:00 AM

Project Sonntlan

Plan Communication.jpg - 139kB

This is the general drawing about the project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas

bajagerman - 10-7-2020 at 03:11 AM

Wegeschild.jpg - 83kB

Are we here on the right way to Las Barrancas?

bajagerman - 10-7-2020 at 03:37 AM

Relais Berg AT.jpg - 168kB

Relais station at top of the hill

bajagerman - 10-7-2020 at 03:47 AM

From time to time I will place some more pictures here.

www.dj7wl.darc.de/Sontlan.html in english language.

Also i have produced a video about the installation and setup the system. At the following link you may see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A210bOGgVmU

Bajagerman

David K - 10-7-2020 at 08:41 AM

Thank you, bajagerman!

bajagerman - 11-22-2020 at 07:48 AM

From the container at top of the hill i´m talking with Germany.

Im Container.jpg - 216kB

bajagerman - 11-22-2020 at 07:53 AM

This system produced hot water and follow automatically the sun.
The name of this system Helio Man.

Helio Man.jpg - 35kB

bajagerman - 11-23-2020 at 11:30 AM

Hi Lencho, no i have not been involved in that project. I have been only employed with the Sonntlan project at Las Barrancas.

4x4abc - 11-23-2020 at 08:25 PM

Mexicans don't loot - they recycle

bajagerman - 11-25-2020 at 12:36 AM

Harald, recht hast du :D Grüße aus dem fernen Germany.

bajagerman - 1-13-2021 at 10:01 AM

Solar panels and radio mast at Las Barrancas

[Edited on 1-13-2021 by bajagerman]

Solar+Mast.jpg - 339kB

David K - 1-13-2021 at 10:29 AM

Happy New Year, BajaGerman!

bajagerman - 2-3-2021 at 03:17 PM

See the Video about this project under the link:

bajagerman - 2-10-2021 at 02:35 PM

The central station which bundles all energy sources.

Zentrale.jpg - 122kB

bajagerman - 5-13-2021 at 01:19 AM

This is the temporary way up the hill. After many years you will still see
this way in Google maps or Google earth.

See the Video about this project under the link:

Weg am Berg 2.jpg - 91kB

bajagerman - 5-13-2021 at 02:03 AM

This is the look from Goggle Earth to the temorary way up the radio hill.

Way up to hill.jpg - 244kB

4x4abc - 5-13-2021 at 08:43 AM

I have hiked this darn hill - thought, I'll pass out. Even my dog was ready to give up.

bajagerman - 5-13-2021 at 11:41 AM

Hi Harald, is the live still fine at Baja California. You did the first try up the Radio hill. But finally you placed also the geo cache, together with your crew, as memorian of the project Sonntlan.

4x4abc - 5-14-2021 at 02:11 AM

life is good in Baja. Your effing hill is memorable.
Only this one was tougher:
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/Los-Palmares-hike-...

4x4abc - 5-14-2021 at 02:13 AM

here is the first (failed) attempt to get to the antenna:
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/The-mountain/
can't find the images of the successful climb couple of years later.

bajagerman - 5-14-2021 at 05:50 AM

Hallo Harald, i had a look to your trip Las Palmares. Very impressive is the photo of your dog in the spring.

The full story about the federal research project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas you will find on my homepage www.dj7wl.darc.de
and there you must click on:
Ein Forschungsprojekt der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und eine Wette.
All comments on this threat are in english language. Also you will find
background information why i have made a bet with my granchildrens
anf how many of you has been helping to fullfill this bet.
Finally after longer time the geocache has been placed not to far from the Radio Hill.

Have a good time and stay save Joachim Germany

4x4abc - 5-14-2021 at 06:44 AM

time for you to join Facebook, Joachim. Much easier than this clunky forum. (yes guys, this in an invitation - shoot!)

Pages:  1