BajaNomad

The right way to see Baja and Baja Sur

rts551 - 8-19-2014 at 07:59 PM

In recent a recent tread a couple of people posted that there is a best way to see Baja, I have dirt camp'd, RV'd, Hotel'd, and lived there. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like living here....gives me a base to travel from. but I also see a trmendous number of snowbirds in their large TV's headed down leaving me to believe that this has to be fun as well.

What about the rest of you nomads.

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by rts551]

DianaT - 8-19-2014 at 09:20 PM

In Baja, we have camped with tents, camped with a small Casita trailer that managed to get off the beat and path, stayed at hotels, various rentals, and stayed with friends and family in various places and owned a home that we loved. It is all good.

For us, a large RV and or a caravan was not in the cards, but that is us and we totally understand why others want to travel that way. It is all good.

I think the one thing that always amazes me is that some people think there is a "real" Baja. They don't frame it as the part of Baja that they enjoy, but as the REAL Baja. And Baja is many things---it is Mexicali, Tijuana, Cabo San Lucas and everything in between. It is just a matter of what is best for each individual.

Mexico is truly Many Mexicos, and all is good.

The Mexican people are also very diverse --- some love the remote life on a distant rancho, some love the traditional city life, and some love the modern new city cultures.

While we love Baja, our first love are the Highland Cities on the Mainland for many reasons. It is all good.

It is just different for everyone and it is all good.

Bajaboy - 8-19-2014 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
In recent a recent tread a couple of people posted that there is a best way to see Baja, I have dirt camp'd, RV'd, Hotel'd, and lived there. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like living here....gives me a base to travel from. but I also see a trmendous number of snowbirds in their large TV's headed down leaving me to believe that this has to be fun as well.

I love having a place in Baja that I can come and go to. My schedule allows me to spend a good deal of time 2-6 weeks at a time in Baja. As such, my family and I can get immersed into our neighborhood and community. As far as Bahia Asuncion goes, the town has many levels to it. The longer we stay, the more we see and experience.

But, I love living in San Diego as well. So I kind of feel like I have the best of both worlds. On average, we're in Baja about two plus months a year.

David K - 8-20-2014 at 06:33 AM

There is no 'right' or wrong way to see Baja, IMO. There are just better or worse ways. :biggrin:

To each his own... and a discussion forum is a way to hear various ways... Perhaps you have you heard of "we inform and you decide"?

rts551 - 8-20-2014 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

I love having a place in Baja that I can come and go to. My schedule allows me to spend a good deal of time 2-6 weeks at a time in Baja. As such, my family and I can get immersed into our neighborhood and community. As far as Bahia Asuncion goes, the town has many levels to it. The longer we stay, the more we see and experience.

But, I love living in San Diego as well. So I kind of feel like I have the best of both worlds. On average, we're in Baja about two plus months a year.

I'm with you on this one. I have seen more in the last ten years than in the prior 40. Being here allows so much more time than 2 weeks a year camping in the same favorite spot year after year.

Having an RV with a toad or motorcycle sure makes sense in a lot of ways. Comforts of home, stay a while and you can get out and explore.

micah202 - 8-20-2014 at 07:21 AM

...I really like having a small,mobile ideally 4x4 van,, loaded with kayak, Laser sailboat ,,,kitegear .....usually camp independently on waterfront somewhere for 3-6 days at a time ,,then enjoy a night or two in town....then back to where there's only cactus and pelicano's to talk to:yes::cool:

..for me 'real' baja starts at Ensenada,,,and ends just short of that chunk of eL-LA at the south end:cool:

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by micah202]

rts551 - 8-20-2014 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There is no 'right' or wrong way to see Baja, IMO. There are just better or worse ways. :biggrin:

To each his own... and a discussion forum is a way to hear various ways... Perhaps you have you heard of "we inform and you decide"?

doesn't this require some expertise in order to inform?:lol::lol:

David K - 8-20-2014 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

doesn't this require some expertise in order to inform?:lol::lol:

Yes... Baja Nomads are some of the best experts.

BajaGringo - 8-20-2014 at 08:39 AM

Quote:

The best way to see Baja is to do what is best for you, based on your interests, preferences and physical ability/mobility. There simply is no one size fits all mold for all travelers. I get it - some of you don't like RV's. Some people don't like camping. Some people's idea of fun is hauling a trailer with all their toys to play with. Some people are happy with a simple, quiet getaway and others need all the comforts of home including microwave, A/C and a king sized bed.

And some want to try each and every different way to experience Baja.

Whatever floats your boat...

David K - 8-20-2014 at 08:42 AM

Exactly Ron!

micah202 - 8-20-2014 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo Whatever floats your boat...

...or boatS in my case :biggrin:

Sweetwater - 8-20-2014 at 09:09 AM

My initial Baja experience was a 2 truck/5 motorcycle convoy for the Baja Mil. Camping and motels were the ticket along with a bigger group which was sometimes disjointed and free flowing. Mostly focused on the race which was both good and bad.

Since then it's all been self supported motorcycle trips with smaller groups. 2 or 3 riders for most of the time although we did hook up to form a larger group this last time.

The motos make for a very satisfying experience, you are required to be thoughtful and pay attention. You have wider access to a variety of terrain and routes. The locals are more accessible and seem to be more friendly and supportive when the 2 wheels are involved. Camping, motels and the recent experience with a B&B have me considering another thread I've read today.

Howdy there partner, I'm from Wyoming and I'm available to house sit in Baja Sur this winter....whatcha got in mind?

Some of the other adventure based options seem pretty appealing as well: Cabin cruiser - yup
Larger sailboat - yup
RV - not so much....limits the access and terrain
All expense paid trip to the Resorts - sure, if you're the sponsor...
2 weeks seems like a minimum, 4 weeks - double your fun, 6 weeks - need a good base for exploring (that's where that house sitting becomes an interesting consideration).

BajaBlanca - 8-20-2014 at 11:06 AM

So many different ways to enjoy Baja! For sure, to each his own. When I was young, I thoroughly enjoyed camping, nowadays, not so much.

I am so glad we get to live here too....having a homefort and being able to escape it and be in someone else's version of paradise is very fun!

mtgoat666 - 8-20-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:

All ways are good! Best is any method that involves isolation and no infernal racket of engines,... hiking, biking, sailing,...

My way or the highway!

motoged - 8-20-2014 at 12:50 PM

I tend to agree with Sweetwater as I am another motohead...;D

rts551 - 8-20-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

All ways are good! Best is any method that involves isolation and no infernal racket of engines,... hiking, biking, sailing,...

My way or the highway!

"the racket of engines,... hiking, biking, sailing,..." :lol::lol:

elgatoloco - 8-20-2014 at 02:25 PM

We started out with a pickup truck full of stuff and a tent, moved to a Callen shell with a blow up queen bed that we could plop down in the sand or use inside the shell depending on the weather and now we have a 4 wheel pop up (takes about 15 minutes to set up 'camp').

We started out with a 152 qt. ice chest full of food and another with dry ice and frozen stuff so week two of three you had plenty of provisions. We would eat whatever defrosted first. We also used to carry 60-70 gallons of water so we could shower every day. We would have firewood, fold up table and even a cool Coleman portable 'kitchen'.

I always had a sat phone so when I was sitting on a beach somewhere I could check in with my employees / customers as needed - them "Whats that sound I hear? Is that surf?" me - "No the windows down in the truck, driving down the 405". Now I use the cell phone when it works and when it doesn't oh well, leave a message, talk to you in a day or two, maybe.

In the early years we camped at some great places, some right off the highway others 60 miles over a dirt road but most always on or near the water and thought "lets get a place here!". Then we would get to another place and repeat. As we progressed we keep whittling down to the basics. Now we travel a bit lighter although we always have kayaks and surfboards and fishin / spearing gear just in case. We bring some food and drink and buy some food and drink as we go. We camp for a few days then hit a hotel and freshen up. We are lucky to have some amigos with 'casas' in a few places that we can hang out at and have met a lot of nice people over the years. Recent years we have not had any 3 week trips but we go when we can and always have a great time.

We always thought we would get a place in Baja Sur to bookend our casa in the north but that's not the reality any longer.

Still lots of places to see and things to do and never a dull moment in the Baja. The one constant is we always try to drive down at least one road we have never been on before. When we have hit them all maybe we will switch to two wheels and hit all the 'single track' or not.

Bottom line as has been said - whatever works for you is the right way. :saint:

StuckSucks - 8-20-2014 at 04:35 PM

If you're a wanderer and explorer, take LOTS of free time.

coolhand - 8-20-2014 at 09:51 PM

Yeah, we thought of buying in Baja Sur as well. But we are so happy to have bought a small house on a huge lot in the Bay Park area of San Diego for next to nothing. Yes we had to put a lot of sweat and tears into it, but got a steal on a trashed foreclosure. Now we're sitting on a jewel. And we're at Baja's gateway. Unless someone discovers water in Baja, the cost of living is just as expensive as here, if not more. So until water is discovered, I'll spend my months camping in Baja, with a very happy home in San Diego.

rts551 - 8-21-2014 at 09:15 AM

Living in Mexico is not for everyone! I have seen so many that buy or build only to leave a year or two later at a huge loss.

sancho - 8-21-2014 at 11:59 AM

A unique way to see Baja, I was camped at Ensenada Muertos. 40 mi. s/southeast of La Paz, heard a motor aloft, a couple guys paragliding, motor/fan/chute, on second thought, I believe they were
fixed wing ultralights, were flying the length of the Peninsula, had a chase car. A couple old Baja geezers reported
seeing a guy on a unicycle, with backpack, going so. on 1, south of Loreto

[Edited on 8-22-2014 by sancho]

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-21-2014 at 03:27 PM

I am planning on driving down for the first time alone. Single, retired, adventurous female. Just bought a used Jeep Cherokee Ltd., 2005, only 39,000 miles on it. I have friends to stop by and visit thru the western states. But any suggestions on where to stop, things to avoid and good places to stay in Baja would be greatly appreciated.

rts551 - 8-21-2014 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBoomerBabe
I am planning on driving down for the first time alone. Single, retired, adventurous female. Just bought a used Jeep Cherokee Ltd., 2005, only 39,000 miles on it. I have friends to stop by and visit thru the western states. But any suggestions on where to stop, things to avoid and good places to stay in Baja would be greatly appreciated.

Quickly through the border (can't avoid it) and just about anywhere else your heart takes you. some people like solitude...others would like a Margarita, music and a great party in the evening ...and some like something in between.

When did you plan on going?

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-21-2014 at 04:38 PM

I am headed down to my place in Los Cabos, no rush, no plans to party much, just see the sights, Catavina, maybe Sheri's place (always sounds so inviting!) Hope to find motels that have enclosures for my vehicle. Would be good to hook up with some other travellers on the way. Should be going thru in the first or second week of Nov. Coming from B.C.

:yes:

micah202 - 8-21-2014 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
...... A couple old Baja geezers reported
seeing a guy on a unicycle, with backpack, going so. on 1, south of Loreto

...probably a hood ornament by now :yes:

liknbaja127 - 8-21-2014 at 07:30 PM

BajaBoomer, if you have time, Sheri's and Juan's place is a great place to
stay! and from there, Baja blanca and Les have a great place. just a little south of Sheri's. fun drive. Have a great trip!

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-21-2014 at 07:41 PM

They both sound great. I have always been interested in Shari's place. Looks like fun!:spin grin:

thanks.

StuckSucks - 8-22-2014 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Should be going thru in the first or second week of Nov.

As a heads-up, you WILL be seeing a fair amount of Baja 1000 pre-run/race traffic - the actual race stuff is 11/12-16, but we'll be down there prerunning a week earlier. Which means fewer hotel rooms, and more traffic along Highway 1. Not the end of the world, but could impact your travels a bit.

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-22-2014 at 09:09 AM

Thanks StuckSucks, that is exactly the kind of info I wanted. Could be a good thing though, lots of mechanic types on the road in case of a breakdown! Think I will be going thru the first week, depends on how long I spend in California.

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-22-2014 at 09:29 AM

maybe I can go in the Baja 1000, I have a hemi in my Jeep! Does that qualify?:yes:

willardguy - 8-22-2014 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
maybe I can go in the Baja 1000, I have a hemi in my Jeep! Does that qualify?:yes:

from a hybrid to a hemi, you made quite a jump girl!

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-22-2014 at 10:06 AM

Yup, didn't buy the Hybrid, bought the Jeep Cherokee Ltd with a hemi. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee down in San Jose but it's a standard. Know anybody that wants to buy it?