BajaNomad

Latest high surf wiped out surf fishing beaches?

DawnPatrol - 8-31-2014 at 06:56 PM

My buddy at Socorro (just south of SQ bay entrance) has said the latest high surf has wiped all of the sand off his beach, leaving only rocks.
That's sad as we were catching Barred Perch there upwards of 15", real quality (and good tasting) stuff

There is still beach up by Pabellon trailer camp.

Any of you folks further south had any severe beach erosion or is it business as usual?

Alan from San Diego

[Edited on 9-1-2014 by DawnPatrol]

woody with a view - 8-31-2014 at 07:09 PM

it'll come back next summer, usually!

Ateo - 8-31-2014 at 07:16 PM

O'side is missing some sand in some areas. It went somewhere, but it should come back. The sand bars are good right now at my spot!

Russ - 8-31-2014 at 07:40 PM

It's only The first of Oct. We still have a month of storm possibilities that may improve some beaches. I hate to hear about good surf fishing areas hurt but it will come back soon. Sooner than the destruction the net fishermen have done / are doing here.

bajagrouper - 8-31-2014 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
It's only The first of Oct. We still have a month of storm possibilities that may improve some beaches.

Un mas Tequila,por favor........LOL

BornFisher - 8-31-2014 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
It's only The first of Oct.

Time flies when you`re having fun.
And the fishing will be fine. What`s wrong for some beach, is right for another. It balances.

shari - 8-31-2014 at 08:37 PM

just a few days after the high swell that washed all the sand away from the little beach beside our place and the sand is already coming back...hurray! The ocean has changed colour in places with more sand further out..real torquisey!

jureal - 8-31-2014 at 08:42 PM

Once a long time ago we went to surf fish in front of the old La Pinta hotel in Sn Quintin. A storm had passed through and just flattened the beach and pushed the sand all the way to the hotel. Fishing was lousy.... did not catch a thing. We decided to use the sand spikes for our rods. Could not get the sand spike into the sand because of the rocks.... turned out it was not rocks... it was clams. The storm pushed the clams way past the high tide water line. We ate good that night.... lol ( yeah, I know, I know....it was still delish)

BooJumMan - 9-2-2014 at 09:24 AM

15" surf perch! Nice! Was catching 5-8" surf perch a few weeks ago in SD county. Now I haven't got crap. Caught a few small leopard sharks but thats it.

DawnPatrol - 9-2-2014 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
15" surf perch! Nice! Was catching 5-8" surf perch a few weeks ago in SD county. Now I haven't got crap. Caught a few small leopard sharks but thats it.

Yeah they were toads....
I looked up the World Record and it was like 17"
so we were getting some big boys (er, girls...)
I guess at Socorro Sept they big females are ready to spawn so hopefully the sand comes back

Thanks for all the replies...

And yes, most of the San Diego surf perch are minnows