BajaNomad

Mexican tile

Janzie - 9-3-2014 at 07:59 AM

Can anyone tell me, is Mexican tile a better price on eBay, about $1 each, or should we wait until we are in Baja, say in Ensenada or Sta Rosalia? I'm talking about the colorful, 4x4 tiles.
Thanks!

Feathers - 9-3-2014 at 10:23 AM

You'll be paying $2-5 dollars per tile here in Baja.

Janzie - 9-3-2014 at 11:21 PM

Thanks, I guess I'll go the eBay route.:D

bajaguy - 9-4-2014 at 04:09 AM

There are several shops in Rosarito and Ensenada that have the 4" decorative tile. I can't see the local price being more that you would pay on e-bay with shipping.

Suggest you come down and look around

Bob53 - 9-4-2014 at 12:39 PM

I bought a box of 100 4" tiles in Rosarito for around $50 a few months ago.

Justbozo - 9-4-2014 at 01:01 PM

Why not give the locals the business?

I bought a house full of tile in Santa Rosalia a couple of years ago.
Good prices, good service and now good friends!

There is more to Baja than seeing how many gringo goods you can haul in.

Mulegena - 9-4-2014 at 02:13 PM

Good quality Talavera and locally made La Paz tile available in La Paz and Cabo.
Talavera also plentiful in Rosarito.
Beware of "Chinavera" available on-line. Talavera knock-offs.

BajaBlanca - 9-4-2014 at 02:25 PM

There is a very nice tile store in Santa Rosalia. I have no idea how to explain where it is. The variety is incredible, the quality good, incredible designs both for kitchens and baths as well as the bigger floor tiles.

bledito - 9-4-2014 at 02:57 PM

how about san jose any places for the larger floor tiles?

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2014 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Janzie
Can anyone tell me, is Mexican tile a better price on eBay, about $1 each, or should we wait until we are in Baja, say in Ensenada or Sta Rosalia? I'm talking about the colorful, 4x4 tiles.
Thanks!

good selection of traditional (and contemporary) in the tile stores in TJ. several are clustered on the same block (just north of the country club if i remember correctly)

mtnpop - 9-5-2014 at 08:53 AM

Also, several places in and around Tecate for tile,,, some of which is manufactured there,,,,,
Santa Rosalia has a great tile store with good selection and prices....
Last winter we found a great store in LaPaz also with a great selection and as I remember prices under a dollar... depending on the quantity... I will try to find the name and address if you need...
Have fun looking and deciding...

ncampion - 9-5-2014 at 09:48 AM

Any further info on the tile store in Santa Rosalia? Location? We have shopped for all our tile in La Paz so far, but SR is much closer to Loreto. We don't have any tile (Talavera) in Loreto

mtnpop - 9-5-2014 at 11:02 AM

Its up on the hill behind the old mill on the highway... Not sure of the street name but the street directly behind the mill...
There is a new Coppel store right next door...
I think there is a new Layes store across the street if it got finished...
good luck

Justbozo - 9-5-2014 at 11:02 AM

ncampion

The best I can tell you on the location for the tile store whose name I cannot recall would be...

On the west side of Heros de Casablanca about 500 feet south of Reforma.
This is one block west of MX1.

Driving from Loreto on MX1
Landmark: From the traffic circle across from the Marina to Reforma is 3000ft (.5-.6 miles). Turn left (west) onto Reforma, go short block, turn left (south) onto Heros de Casablanca, go 500 ft on the right. Lost? ask for the "tile store" anywhere around there! Sure wish my memory of names was better!

Justbozo - 9-5-2014 at 11:04 AM

mtnpop

Yes! Just south of the Coppel!

Janzie - 9-5-2014 at 11:08 AM

Thank you for all the good and positive information. And we will buy the tile in Sta Rosalia.

ncampion - 9-5-2014 at 11:32 AM

Another thank you for the directions, going to check it out soon.

bajaspuds - 10-9-2014 at 04:29 PM

... great info

BajaBlanca - 10-9-2014 at 06:09 PM

You are going to love that store. It has been expanding year by year and they have quite the selection nowadays - not like at first, probably 5 years ago, when they did NOT have more of the tile we had already started the master bath with!

Eventually we did find more and now we know to buy the extra tiles right off the bat.