BajaNomad

HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8

Heather - 9-16-2014 at 10:59 AM

Spoke with my mother-in-law in La Paz last night on her land-line. She and her family came through things OK. She said a lot of wind and rain, but she has seen worse! She is pretty close to the malecon, near the Seguro Hospital.
Still have not been able to contact my step-son in Cabo San Lucas. He and his family have been living in our trailer in 4 de Marzo neighborhood....hoping things there made it through...

EngineerMike - 9-16-2014 at 10:59 AM

Very interesting vs the official's pronouncement about comms, that Sta.Rosalia was reported (by Bruce Leech) to have phone service to part of Sta.Rosalia this a.m. and reaching Bruce in Ensenada; must be hubbed out on microwave to the mainland to get thru. Hoping Mulege has same format for its trunk traffic and can get back up quickly.

Bruce R Leech - 9-16-2014 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Very interesting vs the official's pronouncement about comms, that Sta.Rosalia was reported (by Bruce Leech) to have phone service to part of Sta.Rosalia this a.m. and reaching Bruce in Ensenada; must be hubbed out on microwave to the mainland to get thru. Hoping Mulege has same format for its trunk traffic and can get back up quickly.

I think there is a fiber optic cable that runs between Guymas and Santa Roselia

desertcpl - 9-16-2014 at 11:14 AM

Weather Channel

just now,, Bahia on alert just now hitting winds 50mph

MP - 9-16-2014 at 11:59 AM

Pictures of Todo Santos as found on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/maaRiigeep/posts/10204955191223178

so so sad

bajafam - 9-16-2014 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Really appreciate ANY reports so a huge thank you Bob and Ron. So much devastation, it is hard to process it all. I womder what the best way to get info will be. Sure wish more people had ssb radios like the old days. So please post any info you have.

X2 Be safe, you are all in our prayers

MP - 9-16-2014 at 12:24 PM

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/todos-santos-un-lugar-critico-para...

http://noticieros.televisa.com/mexico-estados/1409/baja-cali...

me2zoomie - 9-16-2014 at 12:32 PM

I do disaster relief work in the US and I have never been on this end of things before. I certainly see myself going through all the emotional stuff other hurricane victims have. But I am still in WA trying to figure out what the damage to my house in the Oasis in Mulege is, so I can figure out my next steps.

Does anyone have any eyewitness reports from that area (River Road, mine is the house with the large bay windows)

Thanks.

bajabuddha - 9-16-2014 at 01:02 PM

You remind me of the movie, "Doctor". Give yourself the advice you'd give your clients; let the Emergency Management get the basic systems up and running, otherwise you'll be a deterrent for right now. Be patient. The Mexican Relief people have always been stellar at their jobs, especially in Mulege, as well as local leaders. You'll need to get down and organize your own clean-up. It will take a few days for real word and pics to come forward, so chill for now as much as you can. Also, TS Polo is forming; there may be a repeat in another 7 + or - days, so stay tuned and alert. Good luck with your house.

Vince - 9-16-2014 at 01:33 PM

I just got a report from Coyote Bay on Conception Bay, that the homes on the beach all look good. I received a photo that proved it, much to our relief. There is some erosion but not bad. The access from the hiway is washed out.

GLNaeve - 9-16-2014 at 01:51 PM

Vince, thanks for the specific report. Yes, it is some relief. Is there specific items needed, say by Patsy and Les or others. can you e-mail the photo or contact info.
Thanks
Gary & Lynne

bajagerman - 9-16-2014 at 01:54 PM

any info how is the situation at Las Barrancas?

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 02:10 PM

News from a Facebook post one hour old, from a Mulegina currently in TJ. She was in communication with Guerrero Negro authorities.

"No hay paso por Vizcaíno, vado San Pablo con dos metros de agua, y uno de los puentes cerca de Palo Verde se cayó, asi que cambio de planes hasta nuevo aviso de Policía Federal de Guerrero Negro."

English: There is no passage through Vizcaino. San Pablo arroyo has 2 meters of water. And one of the bridges near Palo Verde collapsed. Therefor, a change in plans until further news from the Federal Police in Guerrero Negro.

mulegemichael - 9-16-2014 at 02:19 PM

Me2zoomie...my cell # 360 461 1243....we're your neighbors at the oasis, #54, mike and roz....call if you like...we're in sequim now....

Johannes - 9-16-2014 at 02:19 PM

Good news, weather station of Cabo Airport is online.
This is the wunderground report today, judging by yesterdays low temperature , yesterday was a day from hell
Today High 91 | Low 75 °F 50% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday High -- | Low 1000 °F Precip. 0 in

chuckie - 9-16-2014 at 02:21 PM

And still silence from Mulege....

Udo - 9-16-2014 at 02:23 PM

ALSO...still silence from Bahia Asunción residents!

Johannes - 9-16-2014 at 02:24 PM

no message from Cabo itself either, just the airport

austriaco - 9-16-2014 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
News from a Facebook post one hour old, from a Mulegina currently in TJ. She was in communication with Guerrero Negro authorities.

"No hay paso por Vizcaíno, vado San Pablo con dos metros de agua, y uno de los puentes cerca de Palo Verde se cayó, asi que cambio de planes hasta nuevo aviso de Policía Federal de Guerrero Negro."

English: There is no passage through Vizcaino. San Pablo arroyo has 2 meters of water. And one of the bridges near Palo Verde collapsed. Therefor, a change in plans until further news from the Federal Police in Guerrero Negro. [/quote)

Debra, this is an important message, why don't you post that in facebook too? Adi

Bajagypsy - 9-16-2014 at 02:29 PM

i'm getting very worried for our friends.

MexicoTed - 9-16-2014 at 02:31 PM

Any photos EcoMujeres? Or does she have them on her Facebook page?

bajabuddha - 9-16-2014 at 02:34 PM

New from the Associated Press:

http://news.msn.com/world/mexico-to-airlift-tourists-after-h...

vjfamily - 9-16-2014 at 02:39 PM

Where on the web is the info about the Cabo airport? Can you post the link?

bajabuddha - 9-16-2014 at 02:42 PM

The link I just posted mentions the condition of the Cabo airport, and the current state of reparations. Read the story.

DianaT - 9-16-2014 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
i'm getting very worried for our friends.

The cell tower is probably out as none of our local friends have been on facebook, including some of the kids there who are on facebook 24/7.

The same seems to be true for Abreojos.

Hopefully word will get out soon.

StuckSucks - 9-16-2014 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

A little heads-up nugget near the end of that article - especially the last sentence:

"Farther south in the Pacific, Tropical Storm Polo formed off southern Mexico early Tuesday. It was centered 275 miles (440 kilometers) south of Acapulco with maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (65 kph), and was moving northwest parallel to the coast at 12 mph (19 kph). The hurricane center predicted that Polo could become a hurricane later in the week."

bajabuddha - 9-16-2014 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StuckSucks
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

A little heads-up nugget near the end of that article - especially the last sentence:

"Farther south in the Pacific, Tropical Storm Polo formed off southern Mexico early Tuesday. It was centered 275 miles (440 kilometers) south of Acapulco with maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (65 kph), and was moving northwest parallel to the coast at 12 mph (19 kph). The hurricane center predicted that Polo could become a hurricane later in the week."

Too true; there's already a thread on BN about TS Polo and its' potential; again, anyone thinking of heading south PLEASE keep posted on Polo's status; could be a repeat performance.... or shall we say, a re-re-re-repeat performance!

Johannes - 9-16-2014 at 03:14 PM

The problem that we don't hear or see any thing from BCS is that the fiberoptic cables have been damaged.

gallesram - 9-16-2014 at 03:18 PM

Looks like we're just going to have to be patient; weird because usually by now we would have had a few bits of information about Mulege town, homes on the river, etc; must be that they really are cut off from communication due to the fiberoptic cables plus lack of power. I know a lot of us are just waiting to hear anything so to the extent anybody speaks to someone in Mulege & gets info please post it ASAP.

Vince - 9-16-2014 at 03:20 PM

Bush Pilots International reports that all airspace in mid and south Baja is closed to civilian traffic, the airports are all closed. BPI expects the military will ask the Mexican Red Cross to help with relief. In the past they have called upon the Bush Pilots International group (Baja Bush Pilots) to assist with relief flights into Serenidad. They hired a bulldozer to clear the airstrip last time. They will travel to Santa Rosalia and Mulege by ferry from Guymas to asses the situation for relief flights. The military has a big job to do now.

Bush Pilots International reports that all airspace in mid and south Baja is closed to civilian traffic, the airports are all closed. BPI expects the military will ask the Mexican Red Cross to help with relief. In the past they have called upon the Bush Pilots International group (Baja Bush Pilots) to assist with relief flights into Serenidad. They hired a bulldozer to clear the airstrip last time. They will travel to Santa Rosalia and Mulege by ferry from Guymas to asses the situation for relief flights. The military has a big job to do now.

Jack Swords - 9-16-2014 at 03:24 PM

More info from Latitude 38, mainly about boats, boaters, etc.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...

oxxo - 9-16-2014 at 03:25 PM

Just received a live report from someone on the scene before their cell phone went dead. All the windows in my condominium on the beach on the Corridor have been blown out. I can't imagine what the damage is to the interior and furnishings. There is no electricity, no telephone, no Internet, no groceries (looted and/or stores closed) and the roads are impassable in Los Cabos.

We are feeling the effects of Odile in SoCal this afternoon - huge thunderheads, windy, and very humid. No rain yet but threatening.

Not a good day.

Mulege photo - by La Hielera

fishnbaja1 - 9-16-2014 at 03:27 PM

Here's a picture I just received from Mulege. It appears I don't know how to add attachments. The photo is from Carlos Milon and is being shared in FB.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by fishnbaja1]

From Baja Bush Pilots, current status

EngineerMike - 9-16-2014 at 03:27 PM

Hurricane Odile
All airspace and airports in mid to south Baja are closed.

BBP is in continual contact with SENAM regarding the status of airports in Baja. All airspace in the affected area of the hurricane as well as the following airports are closed to civilian traffic via a Presidential mandated International NOTAM through September 22. This closure may be extended without notice.
-Los Cabos (San Jose del Cabo) -Cabo San Lucas -La Paz -Loreto

Mexico’s Military has taken control of the above airports and only Mexican military aircraft will be allowed to land/depart from those airports. Any aircraft violating the airspace or attempting to land at any of the above airports will be grounded at that airport until the national emergency is over.
This emergency is so extreme that the military has taken control of all phases of the situation and at this time, has not called in any of its resources including the Mexican Red Cross. Claudia and I are in the process of ramping up in anticipation of a call from the Mexican Red Cross. At that time we will be asking for medical support, relief items, as well as aircraft/helicopters and pilots.

With the Cabo, LaPaz, and Guerrero Negro having airports, we anticipate that our needs will be in mid Baja where there is little transportation. We anticipate that we will be requested to obtain and deliver supplies as well as do search & rescue from the Mulege area. Last year the BBP had to hire a loader, grader, and a dump truck to get the strip at Mulege usable. I have to assume it will be the same this year. Punta Chivato and Palo Verde should be open however, the roads to both will be impassable.

Once our help is requested, I plan to drive to Guaymas where I will take the ferry to Santa Rosalia. There I will assess the damage and either drive (questionable) or hitch a ride in a military aircraft to Mulege where I will start the process of determining where a landing area should be set up. At that point, I will put out a call for people to bring down relief items.
This will be another long and complicated mission however it is something that we just have to do.
We believe our needs will be for:
*Pilots w/aircraft to solicit relief goods and supplies and to bring these goods to either Loreto or the landing area at Mulege when called for
*Pilots w/helicopters to work the back areas
Regarding money, in the past I was able to get Mexico to pay for some fuel and landing fees however, that happened about three weeks into the operation. At this point, all will have to pay their own expenses.

That being said, anticipating another national emergency, we set up the Bush Pilot Foundation two years ago. It is a tax deductible 501 (c) (3) corporation and is dedicated to, among other things, general aviation including search and rescue, evacuation, and disaster relief through the transport and distribution of food and supplies in the United States and countries in the western hemisphere to provide humanitarian services in time of need. At this time it has a little over $5,000
We are looking for donations for this cause. The BBP has contributed over $10,000 for relief efforts in the past. The BBP does not have that kind of money now. Your help in funding our efforts is critical. Please send an email to the BBP office if you can help out regarding our aircraft/relief needs.
If you can help out with money, our attorney indicates that you can use your credit card to contribute and we will move that deposit into the Foundation account.
Our hearts go out to the people of Baja and how they must be suffering. The BBP is stepping up to the plate and hopeful that all who enjoy the pleasure, people, and friendship that we gain in Mexico will also step up and donate to this critical cause.
Jack
www.bajabushpilots.com

For those looking to donate, Baja Bush Pilots has many years of this type of service under their belts and are a bona-fide agent of humanitarian aid. They will be there as quickly as it is possible and doing long hours of heavy lifting delivering medivac, food pack delivery, and other critical services, particularly in hard to reach areas that have no other source of assistance. I bunked w/Jack one night shortly after H.John, and they had picked up a guy w/a broken femur, hours west of town, who was being hauled into town on a burro. He was happy for the lift. Burro was happy too.

Johannes - 9-16-2014 at 03:38 PM

Now the airport in Cabo shows off again:o

Re: Any photos?

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Any photos EcoMujeres? Or does she have them on her Facebook page?

No, there aren´t any new photos since there is no phone service or electricity there. Will likely be many days for that. Only photos come from a few hours before the power went down on Monday.

Perhaps Bob and Sue or other nomads off the power grid and using satelite link for email will be going into town some time in the next few days and can post.

I´ll pass on any news I get through FB via friends/family who make contact and share the news.

gallesram - 9-16-2014 at 03:56 PM

Fishnbaja1, can you check your U2U please?

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 04:12 PM

Here´s the photo that Carlos Milon sent via Facebook that fishnbaja didn´t post:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecomujeres/15075934477/in/set-...

Pappy Jon - 9-16-2014 at 04:18 PM

Any word from Bahia de los Angeles? It looks like the t-storm went right over the top of them.

Cerritos, Pescadero, Todos

pacside - 9-16-2014 at 04:21 PM

Caretaker texted me the following re my casa on cerritos beach in Pescadero south of Todos Santos:

"Lost 6 big sliders, 4 solar panels. A good amount of fence (palo de arco) and lots of sand in the house. All gas stations and stores are badly damaged. There are electrical posts down everywhere (Todos and Pescadero). No major permanent damage to casa, just plenty of cleanup. There is a shell of a trailer in front and lots of junk".

He also said the mayan huts on cerritos beach next door...www.cerritossurfcolony.com..are damaged bad, lost some walls, windows and sliders and their pool must have at least a truck full of sand in it. Said they lost the big hut. Said beach is unusable...too much junk..metal, wood, plastic everywhere.

He said he'll take pictures when he can get his phone charged.

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 04:22 PM

Lots of rain at BOLA.

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 04:26 PM

Good point to be made about what your caretaker said about his phone, Pacside.

Even if cell service is restored in towers with backup generators and batteries, if there is no power in towns like Mulege and others, people's cell phones may not last long if there is no way to charge them.

Time for a deep breath and to realize it's time to wait and see...

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 04:35 PM

For a few photos from Bob and Sue and a brief report on Mulege, visit the forum topic titled:

Anything from Mulege

I agree with the person who started the new topic that it's probably a good idea to break up the topics by community to help keep up with all the posts as they will hopefully start to come in in the next few days for each of the communities affected...

Bajahowodd - 9-16-2014 at 05:03 PM

I know that many folks on this forum have a certain disdain for Cabo.

However, My first arrival there was in 1983. It was still quite the sleepy fishing town. I certainly have not been happy with the incredible growth in the area since, including the huge resorts and the big box stores. But I do recognize that love it or hate it, Cabo is a major economic engine for BCS. Be it foreign tourists or the Hollywood crowd, a ton of money pours into the area yearly. I'm hoping for a quick recovery, if only for those whose incomes will be affected by the many closures of businesses.

chuckie - 9-16-2014 at 05:09 PM

Cant argue that...

RAIN NORTH OF PUERTECITOS

David K - 9-16-2014 at 05:26 PM

On the South Campos Facebook page, from Campo Los Pulpos, km. 48.5...

Reply from Nuevo Mazatlan (Km. 32) has it not there yet...

That was about 3:30pm PDT

'Baja's South Campos Amigos' on Facebook

EngineerMike - 9-16-2014 at 05:38 PM

This just in from long time Mulege resident Suzie Robison:
Cliff just called me on a satellite phone, and the flooding was very
bad. In our house it went over the loft area, or about 6-7 feet. There
is no electricity or cell phone service. You can not drive into the
Oasis. He says not to come at this time because of no infrastructure
and mosquitos we talked a very short time .
Susie

That means likely into my attic a ways at #56 Oasis (Cliff's loft is closer to 8ft than 6). gotta be a lot of glass damage at that water level, not to mention the mud & etc. Crap.

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 05:57 PM

For those thinking they might want to head down right now, DON'T.

This posted on Facebook earlier today:

"Civil Protection, Division of Municipal Roads and Transportation states that San Pablo Arroyo, near Vizcaino is running and there is still no passage for trucks and buses, let alone passenger cars...likewise, they state that there are landslides on the Tres Virgenes and Infierno grades near Santa Rosalia and these will have to be removed in order to allow transit. We are waiting on a report from Mulege...

Proteccion civil, pfp división caminos y tránsito mpal. Informan que el arroyo de San Pablo, a la altura de vizcaíno esta crecido y todavía no hay paso ni para camiones,ni autobuses y mucho menos para carros chicos...de igual manera informan de deslaves el la cuesta de las vírgenes y el infierno que están siendo o tienen que ser removidas para que haya paso a la altura de santa Rosalía ...estamos esperando reporte de Mulege

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
While searching for updates, I found this:

Spellcheck, conquered.

Hurricane Hunters
Resume regular broadcast.

wtf

Cabo Pulmo - seeking info

CatCrazyJulie - 9-16-2014 at 06:38 PM

We were planning to drive to Pulmo the first week of October. Obviously, will now be watching posts re road conditions, etc., and needed supplies. We haven't heard any news from our friends there. I noticed that a number of threads re specific cities/areas were moved to the forum for "Questions re Baja" and I'm concerned that people with info may not be checking that forum, so am re-posting inquiry here for anyone with additional news. We've heard that the arroyo between La Ribera and Pulmo is currently impassable.

Zola - 9-16-2014 at 07:30 PM

San Juanico/Punta Pequeña

I have word that the town was hit by strong winds and heavy rains, but so far as I know nothing catastrophic. There are impassable arroyos 8 miles south of town, and so the town is unreachable from the south and must also be unreachable from the north roads. I know that my own home there suffered minor water damage, and that the people I know there are safe and sound. I have a photo of a running arroyo but have no idea how to post it on this site.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by Zola]

Ford - 9-16-2014 at 08:12 PM

No word at all from zacatitos or playa tortuga just south of San Jose. For those of you that know Lou Quaccia, you know how diligent he is about keeping all of us informed of weather conditions. I have not heard a word from him since 8:30AM Sunday morning. He said he would report at 2:00pm if possible. I am really nervous about them, our caregivers (who live next door) and all the people in baja. We are so accustomed to instant info, days of no info is horrible!

shari - 9-16-2014 at 08:31 PM

I just got off the land line phone at the police station in Bahia Asuncion. Well amigos, once again Asuncion has proved an amazing place to live. Yes there were stong winds but very little rain so no flooding! Whew...did you all hear that huge sigh of relief.

There is no cell service or internet but land lines seem to work on and off. The cell tower in Sta.Rosalia was knocked down and there is no paso to Vizcaino. The buses from the north stop at Guerrro Negro as the big arroyo between GN & Vizcaino is running as they received lots of rain. I will call again tomorrow to see if the road is open. Might be my last day in the big city...Ensenada. There is no place like home.

my heart goes out to all who suffered losses and are dealing with all the damage...aid is on the way on several levels.

Jaybo - 9-16-2014 at 09:16 PM

This was posted on Trip Advisor a bit ago. He does encourage tourists in Cabo to do their best to get to the airport.
Travelers, and worried family and friends
4 of us just made it back into the US from Cabo over the last couple of hours. Our trip took us to Tijuana via military plane, then to the border via military uncovered van, a short walk across the border, a cab and rental car to go to the airport and our next flight.
Please let anyone stranded know to try and get to the San Jose del Cabo airport when they can as that is how we were able to get out. The Mexican military had planes to Tijuana, Mexico City and Masatlan running all day today from roughly 8:30am and will run until 9pm. If not able to get out, The Best Western Aeropuerto is just down the road and hotel manager Ivonne Gutierrez were great in taking care of us and giving us information as were other atranded travelers.
We won't be home until tomorrow but I want to try and post some information for others who are stranded or for worried family and/or friends. I'll try to post more information and answer what I can and hopefully others can jump in with answers

SFandH - 9-17-2014 at 06:52 AM

Good to know that the gov is flying people out to functioning airports. I've read there are 30,000 stranded tourists in Los Cabos.

Move the tourists out, move the construction, cleaning, and repair workers in. Get ready for the winter tourists.

BCSTech - 9-17-2014 at 07:06 AM

From The US Consulate

Quote:
Hurricane Odile in Baja California Sur

U.S. officials are closely monitoring Hurricane Odile and its effects on Mexico. The safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is a top priority of the Department of State. Though Baja California Sur is a popular destination for U.S. tourists, the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana has received no reports of reports of U.S. citizens killed or injured in Baja California Sur.

Information on Evacuation Flights

The Mexican government has begun military evacuation flights from San Jose de los Cabos International Airport, Los Cabos Airport, and La Paz Airport. U.S. citizen travelers and residents in the area should assess the safest route to the nearest airport and move there expeditiously during daylight hours. For additional information on these evacuation flights, please contact local authorities. Flights have been arriving in Tijuana, Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Mexico City. U.S. government personnel are at airports providing assistance to U.S. citizens.

For U.S. Citizens Affected by Hurricane Odile, or their Relatives:

The State Department has established a crisis hotline to respond to inquiries about current conditions and loved ones in the impacted area. If you require assistance personally, or wish to inquire on behalf of a friend or family member, please use the following contact information:

From the U.S. & Canada: 1-888-407-4747
From Overseas: 1 202-501-4444
Email: OdileEmergencyUSC@state.gov

You can also alert us to U.S. citizens affected by the storm, including yourself, by visiting https://tfa.state.gov/ccd, selecting “2014 Hurricane Odile,” and providing as much information as possible.

We can confirm that, because of damage the storm caused, the airport in Los Cabos is temporarily closed to commercial flights. Commercial flights will be available once the airport reopens. If you have flight tickets, you should confirm your flight status with your airline before departing for the airport.

Please see the Emergency Message on the homepage of the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana (http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service.html) for links to various websites that provide further information about the progress of the storm, as well as contact information for the Consulate and the U.S. Department of State.

wetto - 9-17-2014 at 07:08 AM

good reporting from Latitude 38, Focused mainly on marinas / boat damages in these specific locations.

Cabo
Playa Tecolote
La Paz
Puerto Escomdito
Santa Rosalia

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...

Udo - 9-17-2014 at 08:37 AM

Mil gracias, Shari!

Glad to see our little piece of heaven stayed intact.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I just got off the land line phone at the police station in Bahia Asuncion. Well amigos, once again Asuncion has proved an amazing place to live. Yes there were stong winds but very little rain so no flooding! Whew...did you all hear that huge sigh of relief.

There is no cell service or internet but land lines seem to work on and off. The cell tower in Sta.Rosalia was knocked down and there is no paso to Vizcaino. The buses from the north stop at Guerrro Negro as the big arroyo between GN & Vizcaino is running as they received lots of rain. I will call again tomorrow to see if the road is open. Might be my last day in the big city...Ensenada. There is no place like home.

my heart goes out to all who suffered losses and are dealing with all the damage...aid is on the way on several levels.

ignatz - 9-17-2014 at 09:15 AM

Any reports yet come from Puerto Los Cabos/El Ganzo area?

CasaChristie - 9-17-2014 at 09:54 AM

Our friend in Mulege sent an email yesterday. Here are some excepts from it.

Just Back from Mulege, Will try and keep brief as the internet seems to be going in and out. Mulege is a mess. Lots of flooding and mud, no power or water as of now, extensive damage along the river. Jorge's and La Fortuna Parks, water place under the bridge, show signs of major flooding. Roofs gone, walls missing, etc. Town itself is a mess from the runoff from surrounding hills, but no significant wind damage. Not sure how bad it is in the Orchard or Oasis; Serenidad got about 6" of muddy water so assume they got it a lot worse. The "new" road along the river and the lower bridge seem to have survived. Lower road is closed on the town side due to debris before the new bridge.

The "hill" at Posada came through okay with a few homes having some tiles blown off and some thatch gone. Probably some water inside from leaking roofs. One abandon house has a wall collapse.

Posada on the beach has lots of debris in the streets but no obvious damage. The guard is on duty. The road to the North part of the beach is closed (washed out). Two sailboats moored out front of the beach washed ashore. One boat on a trailer in storage tipped over and is resting against a small yellow catamaran.

That's what I heard yesterday. Thanks everyone for keeping us up to date on any news heard.

Jaybo - 9-17-2014 at 10:04 AM

Great pictures from Nieto's visit to the Los Cabos area on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/PresidenciaMX/photos/a.694736007283...

shari - 9-17-2014 at 10:06 AM

it appears that land lines are working fine and the electricity was back on in Asuncion yesterday so we have communication now anyway...now if I can just get home before Polo has his way with us. Anyone heading south with space for me please U2U me.

micah202 - 9-17-2014 at 10:35 AM

....at this point 'polo' is projected as a non-event

.....sorry to bring such disappointing news :rolleyes:

EdwardTeach - 9-17-2014 at 11:12 AM

The Wunderground weather stations reporting from La Paz and Ciudad Constitucion just popped up.

Justbozo - 9-17-2014 at 11:29 AM

Must be some electric in La Paz.

Live Webcam from LA Paz!

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/bajalover/2/show.html

post removed

Whale-ista - 9-17-2014 at 11:38 AM

my thoughts as well- it was very strange.

I decided to delete the original.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
Quote:
While searching for updates, I found this:

Spellcheck, conquered.

Hurricane Hunters
Resume regular broadcast.

wtf

shari - 9-17-2014 at 11:40 AM

i just got a cell call from my neice in La Paz...excellent! Having cell service will help alot. She was on a boat in the marina and says everyone is helping everyone clean up the mess.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by shari]

Jaybo - 9-17-2014 at 11:44 AM

yeah I just saw on another FB group that Cabo has cell service again as well.

BCSTech - 9-17-2014 at 11:47 AM

I just posted this on the Todos Santos thread:

I just heard from Ernesto, one of my Technician Friends in TS. He was able to get out on the Internet over TelCel a few minutes ago, about 12:30 PM their time. Internet comes and goes.

He reports it's a total freaking disaster there. No power, no water, little food, and the banks are obviously out of commissions so no money. No soldiers there yet as they're focusing on La Paz and CSL

I'll post a few pix he sent but it's nothing we haven't already seen, destruction everywhere.

I'm going to try and relay some messages through him but he has his hands full right now taking care of his family.

Ford - 9-17-2014 at 11:53 AM

Report from our property manager in cabo...

Good morning. It is Tuesday Sept 16, 6:25 AM.

I want to give you all the perspective of actual situation. In the last 72 hours I have slept probably 5 hours and had no rest.

There is no electricity in all town. I cant see an electrical post standing up. Next to my house there is a high tension tower on the ground. To have power back might take two weeks at least in certain areas.

There is no phone landlines and no internet.

There is no water supply as the aqueduct is broken in pieces. To have water back might take weeks.

No banks, no supermarkets, no bussiness. Means no food so if you are coming to Cabo to asses damage be prepare and bring your own food.

There is no fuel. Personally we need to use the vehicles wisely otherwise we will need to start moving by walking.

All properties has damage, some of them are severe and others not. I tried to get to must of them yesterday but roads are damaged in some points washed out. From San Jose Downtown to PLC took me 40 minutes in a high truck. I will be sending pictures and reports to each one of you as soon as possible. Cellular connexion is down right now.

In my opinion it is important you come down to asses the damage and to help. We are exhausted down here; locally we are dealing with several problems: our homes flooded on the best case but in other cases, specially our cleaning and maintenance staff they lost everything. My office and my wife store has severe damage; her office was washed out. Every document in my office is wet or hummed, some computers are floating.

From my staff I don't know too much: Daniela was with me yesterday and we made it to PLC properties in the afternoon. I went to some properties in the morning hours in Cabo area and the corridor, specially those were there were staff or guests. Karla, reported and she went to Pedregal and Cabo area; at Hacienda Resort there is no access to property managers until they have set insurance claims (nonses). In PLC I was with Alfonso who reported he took care of the house he takes care and he inspected all others in the area with Daniela and me. I couldn't make it to El Encanto because it was too late but I received a text from Gabby; she, Suzett and Rafa Ramirez will try to get there today.

The people that works and depend on me are about 70 among office staff, property managers, house keepers and cleaning staff. There is a group of contractors, probably a number of 14 contractors which work for me exclusively. I think that totals about 40 families in deep need of help. They are our operation force and they will need our support.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

We need:

1. Drinking water.
2. Batteries AA, AAA, C and D.
3. We need flashlights.
4. Power generators, various. I personally will appreciate and pay for two large ones to make my office and my house operate.
5. Cash, preferable in pesos for the staff. Yesterday was pay day; we ask the banks on Friday for their payroll but no ATMS and NO BANKS.
6. Need your permission, voluntary, to let me use your vehicles as there are no FUEL. Must of the PEMEX stations disappear.
7. Clothes for the staff.
8. Sheets, towels, bedspreads for the staff.
9. Canned food.
10. First aid kits.
11. Antibacterial gel.

As soon as my office staff is back, I hope today or tomorrow, I will have Alejandra and Laura working in insurance follow up only. I hope my server works so we can access and get the policies. This will delay our billing monthly process; I need to ask you that you help me by wiring money so our cash flow doesn't stop; No need to do this now as there are no banks, but in a couple of weeks I am sure it will be needed; this money will be the monthly funds you wire to be use for your property expenses only and it will be reflected in your statements.

Rentals and or vacation trips must be postpone; I figure that for the next month or two town will be a mess with a lot of services broken. Houses with severe damage will take longer than 3 months to be back in operation. Carpenters, aluminum contractors, glass contractors, windows and doors contractors, painters, electricians, etc will be saturated of work.

As the day flows and I get signal and time I will be sending pictures of the properties I already visited.

LAST UPDATE FROM EL ENCANTO. SEPT 16; 4:00 pm.

Gabby and Rafa (pool guy) as well as Jorge (maintenance) made it to EL ENCANTO. She mentioned that hard damage is a common denominator among all properties. She gave me a list which I will type later for EL ENCANTO owners.

WEDNESDAY SEPT 17. 4:30 AM.

All major food wholesaler has been washed out by the people. It is hard to live a time when people has lost humanity. The rippers are not poor people. This is scary, they are not taking food only. This is so sad.

I hope our office and houses staff starts to regather today.

I hope that at least cellular network reestablish today.

Last night I was told by one of the radio reporters that the airport is seriously damaged; the control tower disappear and both terminals have several damages.

We have guests in Pedregal, one couple, that needs to be evacuated as well as a property owner in El Encanto # 24.

Cordially.

Francisco J. Luna.
Francisco Luna Property Management.
WWW.LUNAPM.COM
Enviado desde mi iPhone

David K - 9-17-2014 at 11:54 AM

:wow:

Thanks for that report!

bajabird - 9-17-2014 at 12:01 PM

Phone service is starting to work in Loreto.
Got through to a phone line near the entrance of town.
Beach area phones are not working.

Southwest Airlines to begin emergency rescue flights to Cabo

Whale-ista - 9-17-2014 at 12:04 PM

From their website: http://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory...

(I replied to their Twitter account and suggested, if they are flying planes south empty, to bring emergency relief supplies for people since the roads are washed out, and getting food, water etc. will be difficult for a long time.)

Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways have scheduled rescue flights to Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) for today, September 17. The first Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways flight should arrive in Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) by mid-afternoon to accommodate Customers from both airlines. Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways personnel will be available for Customer flight processing upon arrival of the aircraft. Each Customer should remember to bring your passport and other identification documents, travel itineraries, and baggage with you to the airport. The rescue flights will return to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) where Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways personnel can help each Customer with the details of continuing on to their final destination.

We will continue to work closely with the appropriate authorities to evaluate the need for additional rescue flights.

Customers holding a reservation for travel to/from Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) beginning Sunday, September 14 thru Tuesday, September 30 are eligible to reschedule their flights in accordance with our accommodation procedures.

Please call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Service Representative to make changes to your itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check Flight Status Information.

Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Updated: 9/17 12:30PM CST

El Jefe - 9-17-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford
No word at all from zacatitos or playa tortuga just south of San Jose. For those of you that know Lou Quaccia, you know how diligent he is about keeping all of us informed of weather conditions. I have not heard a word from him since 8:30AM Sunday morning. He said he would report at 2:00pm if possible. I am really nervous about them, our caregivers (who live next door) and all the people in baja. We are so accustomed to instant info, days of no info is horrible!

I live about four miles past Lou's place on the east cape. Although we are not there now I have heard from my neighbor who says that our place is OK and that all the houses in our little neighborhood (Terranova) survived with some palapa damage and rain intrusion through sliders etc.

Osmar's internet service is down and as you know there is no cell service out past Lou's on a good day. Satellite internet is the only way to get info out.

My assessment from a distance is that the near east cape did not get hit as hard as San Jose and Cabo. We have a tough, scrappy neighborhood of locals and ex-pats out there that I'm sure will figure it all out and do just fine. Lou is probably out on his quad right now assessing damage and providing assistance. At least that is my happy faced hope right now.

Pebbles - 9-17-2014 at 12:46 PM

Just had a long call with Rick my plumber in Loreto. My wife is doing fine. Electricity is starting to come back. In his opinion this hurricane not as bad as 2008 in that it did knock down as many electrical towers between Constitucion and Loreto. Information is very limited and he was more interested about Polo forecast. Rumor there is Polo will be bigger than Odile.

MitchMan - 9-17-2014 at 12:53 PM

Just talked to my "go to" electrician/plumber/construction guy in La Paz. He said that there is no electrical (hence, no communications), no banking, big stores are closed, no atm usage, no city service water being pushed to homes. Obviously, cell phones are working as I was talking to him 15 minutes ago with Skype on my side, cell phone at his end.

FWIW, he said that my cinder block home between Centenario and Walmart probably might not get too much physical damage (not first hand info, just his best guess) referring to the 900 liter tinaco on the roof as it is enclosed on 3 sides with concrete walls and the three a/c units bolted on the roof that supply the 3 air handlers of the mini-split system and the above ground rotoplas 1100 liter tank that are in a corner with two sides of the house around it. Also, it is his guess that my Tacoma and and 15 ft fiber glass runabout both under the concrete carport and enclosed by two cinder block walls of the house should be OK, but the Gregor 13ft aluminum boat on the side of the house could be another story. Keep in mind that this is second hand info as obtained by my substandard Spanish.

I will see if I can talk to my attorney down there and get more info to post here.
Dammit...we need INFO and they need our help.

Currently, I bumped a flight on Volaris from Tijuana to La Paz originally scheduled for tomorrow and rescheduled it for Sept 30th (wasn't easy with Volaris...that's another bag of worms for another time).

After thinking about going there so soon after the hurricane and reading some wisdom from more experienced people, generally it would not be a wise move to go to La Paz when there is no electricity, no running water, closed stores, therefore potential shortages of: perishable food, repair supplies and materials and available skilled repair labor, gasoline, and potable drinking water. Banks closed and no power for ATM's and credit card readers. Don't know the situation with flooding everywhere or at the very least water everywhere with the perfect weather to breed mosquitos. Seems like going there tomorrow would have meant that becoming part of the problem...not a safe prospect.

Not to mention the prospect of another hurricane ...Polo which would have enough time to get to La Paz by this coming Saturday should La Paz be in its path. According to what I have read so far, 'Tropical Storm Polo' may be on a similar path toward BCS as was Odile.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by MitchMan]

LaTijereta - 9-17-2014 at 01:14 PM

Getting through to Loreto now on land lines.. power and internet back on.. so magicjack lines should be working..
Still no water service in town.. Town faired OK, based on the size of this storm.. Road South to La Paz is open, about 5 five hours to get through..

David K - 9-17-2014 at 01:21 PM

Thanks Kris! Stay safe amigo!!

EngineerMike - 9-17-2014 at 01:36 PM

I contacted the incoming president of Mulege Rotary, they will stand ready to coordinate relief efforts for the Mulege area to the extent out-of-area efforts can serve that goal. He is hitting 3 area Rotary clubs for donational assistance starting today.

I encourage other Baja area Rotarians to set up donation collection north of Mexico & figure out distribution in your area. Mulege has some experience with that due to prior floods. Bomberos set up distribution for in-kind donations and we send most stuff that direction. The Padre at the Catholic church is another trusted distributor. Saul Davis & his family have assembled food packets for the needy based on our funding, and that has worked brilliantly. The key in distribution is the trust factor that distributions will be equitable. Your points of distribution may vary; it takes local knowledge.

This just in by email from Baja Bush Pilots:
They are not set up to take PayPal donations, but you can contribute to their 501(c)3 relief fund by calling their office w/a credit card billing for the donation- Office phone: 480.730-3250
or you can mail in a check marked Baja Relief:
Bush Pilots Intl.
149 W Boston St
Chandler, AZ 85225
These guys will cut a wide swath and will be an additional drop off point for material donations that will go to the outback residents of Baja affected by the flood.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by EngineerMike]

fishnbaja1 - 9-17-2014 at 01:53 PM

Here are some photos from the Orchard in Mulege.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1....

EngineerMike - 9-17-2014 at 02:01 PM

Landline phone is on in Mulege as of an hour ago. Just spoke w/a buddy there.
Saul's store had 1/2meter of floodwater, about 2ft lower than Jimena.
No electricity, no water. City water needs electricity for the pump & they'll need to put the pump back on the well first (they remove it for floods).
Confirmed only two stores operating, Pinguino & Ayleth, on generators.
My friends haven't been very far off the hill where they live above Saul's store due to impassible road conditions, mostly downed poles & debris tho some ruined roads as well. So they didn't have specific info on other folks & properties.

From the loss of roof tile on the house on left of that last Orchard photo link, I'd guess 12ft floodwater in the Orchard, couple of feet less than Jimena again. That seems to be the common denominator on flood level.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by EngineerMike]

Jonno_aus - 9-17-2014 at 02:14 PM

"Good to know that the gov is flying people out to functioning airports. I've read there are 30,000 stranded tourists in Los Cabos.
Move the tourists out, move the construction, cleaning, and repair workers in. Get ready for the winter tourists."

Hey that's new one on me. Sounds made up from the government. Hundreds or even thousands coming to La Paz to try and fly out. Maybe thousand already here. It's chaos at the airport here. No info. No officials giving info. No supposed military flights. No word on how people with no money, and up until this afternoon, phone service, no food of water can fly home.

Was getting a little restless waiting with friends at airport today. As usual, very little organisation. So few were prepared for this which I find not that hard to believe. Not a real forward thinking culture. No offense to any mexican posters, but if you're banging on a Oxxo the day after for food and water, you're not prepared.

In fact, if you don't have at least 3-4 days minimum food and water, and 7 days is minimum for me, you havn't prepared.

pacside - 9-17-2014 at 02:22 PM

Also posted on Todos Santos thread:

Re Casa on Cerritos beach

Guests decided to stay in casa Sunday night against my instructions to evacuate. Fortunately they are fine. They said 2 waves made it into casa.

Cell service on and off.

rufflife - 9-17-2014 at 02:34 PM

It is a little early to tell... Hopefully Polo will keep shifting to the west.

http://eebmike.com/

jakethedog - 9-17-2014 at 02:47 PM

La Paz update: Just talked via cell to friend and he states power is up in some places. He has gotten gas and just pulled up to bank that is open and getting money to people.
Over all states it is super bad, not that we didn't know.
Most boats at Costa Baja did fine...phone broke up and no more.

Wal mart also open

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by jakethedog]

Udo - 9-17-2014 at 02:51 PM

There is only ONE photo that is connected to the link you provided.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnbaja1
Here are some photos from the Orchard in Mulege.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1....

gallesram - 9-17-2014 at 02:57 PM

Udo, they are posted on the Mulege thread (top of page 3)

Jaybo - 9-17-2014 at 03:45 PM

This is very disturbing. I was reading this Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/727074667339978/

They are reporting that massive looting is going on as well as violence. Military there is supposedly not doing anything about it. Society there is breaking down and this is very very bad news if it is true.

capitolkat - 9-17-2014 at 03:46 PM

Centenario- I just got an email from my contractor with a photo of my house and the doors and windows survived, and held out against the storm. Others close by were not so lucky. The generator is off or out of fuel, and we lost lots of beautiful fish , shrimp, and lobsters in the freezer. Both car's back windows were blown out, and we'll take it as it's better than 99% of others in La Paz/ Centenario. WE head back on Thursday to see what we can do to help out.

bazinga - 9-17-2014 at 04:10 PM

Power, internet back on, water is to be back on shortly. Hardly any standing water in the street, all stores open. Not much flooding from what I have seen so far.

City trash truck was just here, they are picking up all the debris from peoples yards. All in all, not nearly as bad as it could have been.

I wish everybody the best on luck.

I forgot to mention that this post is from Loreto.

ecomujeres - 9-17-2014 at 04:35 PM

News announcement from Radio Kashana in Sta. Rosalia today (also posted on Mulege thread).

Please excuse any typos I might have made...You can read the original in Spanish here:

http://www.radiokashana.org/noticias/2-desaparecidos-1-herid... br />
Two missing, one injured, damage incalculable in wake of Odile in Mulege.

Hurricane Odile passed through Santa Rosalia, BCS the night of Sept. 15th as a Category 1 storm. The majority of the population was left without internet service at about 6 pm, when there was a complete blackout as well as cell service in town.

Radio stations that have their repeater stationed in Sta. Rosalia also stopped functioning at that time, leaving the population without communication (as of this edition, the signal still has not been reestablished), with the only means of communication being spotty land line connections.

On Sept. 16 at midday electricity was restored and on Sept. 17 both internet and cell service was back up. In the town of Mulege they are still without electricity as of 3 pm Sept. 17.

The meeting of the Municipal Board for Civil Protection that took place at 1 pm Wednesday Sept. 17 in the regional offices of SEP in Sta. Rosalia resulted in a number of agreements between the diverse agencies that make up the board. The board is calling on the residents of Santa Rosalia and all of the municipality of Mulege to spread this message however possible.

- There will not be potable water service for 10 days between Palo Verde and Santa Rosalia.
- There will be no classes throughout the municipality until further notice
- Food vending on the street is strictly prohibited
- Travel from Santa Rosalia south to La Paz has been restored, from Sta. Rosalia north is still pending where there are 6 cuts in the road before Vizcaino.

In San Ignacio there is report of one injury which occured after Gilberto Villa Romero crashed his car. He suffered a head head injury and a perforated lung, both of which are life-threatening.
When they found themselves without communication, the local board made the decision to place the injured man at the top of the list to be transported when the helicopter, requested from the Fed. govt., arrived.

In Sta. Rosalia Kyoung Jin Park, general manager of the Boleo mine, as well a another representative of the mine, have been reported missing. Park has not been seen since Sept. 15 when the hurricane passed through town, and the car that he used was found the next day at the port, with the lights on and floating within the tons of debris the arroyo carried to the port.

These are the casualties that have been reported up to this time in the aftermath of Hurricane Odile. Property damage has not been calculated, but they have not been extraordinary considering the extent of the storm. Water, food, mattresses, blankets and other supplies will be delivered shortly by air to those communities that are still incommunicado.

Bajahowodd - 9-17-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
From their website: http://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory...

(I replied to their Twitter account and suggested, if they are flying planes south empty, to bring emergency relief supplies for people since the roads are washed out, and getting food, water etc. will be difficult for a long time.)

Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways have scheduled rescue flights to Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) for today, September 17. The first Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways flight should arrive in Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) by mid-afternoon to accommodate Customers from both airlines. Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways personnel will be available for Customer flight processing upon arrival of the aircraft. Each Customer should remember to bring your passport and other identification documents, travel itineraries, and baggage with you to the airport. The rescue flights will return to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) where Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways personnel can help each Customer with the details of continuing on to their final destination.

We will continue to work closely with the appropriate authorities to evaluate the need for additional rescue flights.

Customers holding a reservation for travel to/from Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) beginning Sunday, September 14 thru Tuesday, September 30 are eligible to reschedule their flights in accordance with our accommodation procedures.

Please call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Service Representative to make changes to your itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check Flight Status Information.

Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Updated: 9/17 12:30PM CST

Bajahowodd - 9-17-2014 at 04:55 PM

Commercial aviation cannot fly to SJD. The facilities are not functioning. Nice try by Southwest. but as of today, military forces will be evacuating the stranded tourists.

Bajahowodd - 9-17-2014 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johannes
Now the airport in Cabo shows off again:o

Noi funny!:P

ignatz - 9-17-2014 at 05:47 PM

Just got a call from United saying my flight down from SFO that was supposed to go down on September 22 has been moved to September 23 and that is also when SJD is opening back up.

shari - 9-17-2014 at 05:54 PM

after trying to get through to a variety of numbers for road info, I just got off the phone with none other than Antonio of Baja Cactus who was in transit. He told me that the El Rosario Pemex has lots of gas and that the road crews are working very hard and hope to have the highway passable by tomorrow morning....great news indeed. PHones down again in Asuncion so I dont know if the Pemex has gas but I bet it does.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8