BajaNomad

Punta Chivato & Odile

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 06:28 AM

Hope I can start this thread before we loose banda ancha. Having troubles with Photo bucket connection
I was able to step out and take these photos between showers. No rain right now but wind average is 20 in the last 10 min. Got the mop, towels, buckets and floor squidgy ready. Got the doos and window open but am on point to get'm closed fast.

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Russinbaja/media/Weather/file-1539.jpg.html]

[/URL]

[Edited on 9-15-2014 by Russ]

mooose29 - 9-15-2014 at 06:42 AM

Russ stay safe we will be thinking of you and all our neighbors down there.

Robertofox - 9-15-2014 at 07:09 AM

Hang in there Russ. I will be checking in off and and on today too!! We had new doors put in on our place and was told the storm plywood covers are up too. Now if I can just keep the roof on.......ahhhhh, no problem!!! Right?

watizname - 9-15-2014 at 07:32 AM

You're in our thoughts and prayers my friend. Buena Suerte

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 07:37 AM

Rain has stopped but I still don't plan to go into town for supplies. It would only take one good down pour to close the road in if it isn't already.
Be safe out there!

bajalearner - 9-15-2014 at 07:52 AM

Good luck! I love the shots of the weather station.

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 07:57 AM

This shot shows the storm that passed this morning and where Odile is now

BajaBlanca - 9-15-2014 at 08:18 AM

good luck and stay safe! wind is just now picking up here but we have major cloud cover.

mtnpop - 9-15-2014 at 08:33 AM

Watching the Mulege webcam this morning,, looks like a lot of fast moving clouds and not a lot of rain yet.. the valley is green and not high water at this time..
will be interesting to see how much water the new big holes west of town hold before they overflow... or maybe its only one big hole...
wind seems to be a major factor in this one..
keep your anchor attached Russ...

mulegemichael - 9-15-2014 at 09:05 AM

just talked with our worker bee, adan, via skype and his cell phone....quite a gush of rain this morning earlier and now the wind is starting...the river hasn't risen an inch.....yet....this time the entire town has moved EVERYTHING to high ground....in conversation with jim christopher day before yesterday he said the huge "containment pit" has been built to just about the bridge now....that is one huge, and i mean HUGE hole if that's correct...crossing our fingers

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 09:48 AM

I'm seeing a change in storm track. Right up the mountains which hasn't happened that I'm aware of. So SOC folks prepare to have it cross. I think it is now a tropical storm but if it hits warm SOC water it could strengthen. Maybe it'll run up Mx 1 :no:

As you can see in the last image there is another storm right behind Odile. Hope it goes away... far far away

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 10:12 AM

Jeeze, I missed this. Looks as though there is a 50% chance of another hurricane developing within the next 48 hours

Keep in mind these comments are really from a practicing weather idiot

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 10:23 AM

Only light rain now so I went out to see the beach. Pretty much high tide now but I think it's on the down swing. Waves are breaking 50 yards off shore and building. Hasn't broken down the berm in front of my place but else where along the beach it may have. Excuse the rain drops on the photos please ;)

Oh, Thanks to Meany! He's waiting this out in Guerro Negro and added time to my banda ancha.

watizname - 9-15-2014 at 10:52 AM

Way to go Meany!!!! Russ, I thought the storm looked like it was going to jump the SOC earlier than forecasted too. Hang on it looks like you're going to take a hit no matter what. :wow:

Pescador - 9-15-2014 at 10:57 AM

The road is pretty nasty, but still passable. A little more rain and it will go down for sure. We made it back to San Bruno OK

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 01:10 PM

Glad you got home safely.
Rain has picked up as well as the wind. Still only the storm side door is leaking a little. The window I look out of at the computer is dry???? This storm is hitting at a weird angle. Something is blocking the wind-o-meter because it is much stronger that it's showing. See the leaning hummingbird feeder. My guess is it's around 25mph with stronger gusts. I think the rain-o gauge is light too.

What is this guy doing out in the storm?

Punta Chivato's blow hole in front of the runway

Cypress - 9-15-2014 at 01:49 PM

Hang in there Russ. You're in for a wild ride. You maybe should have headed for higher ground. Been thru quite a few hurricanes growing up and living on the MS gulf coast. The storm surge is the killer. A 12' storm surge will have 6' waves on top of it. They have blue lines on some of the telephone poles in Biloxi marking Katrina's high water mark, they're about 18' high.

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 02:24 PM

Raining and winding pretty good now. The storm side garage door is allowing water in underneath it but it's just the garage. The generator faces the storm and it didn't like being out side while I brewed a pot of coffee and it is not working. Hopefully it just omly needs to dry out cuz the batteries won't last the night without a charge. I'll use the range top coffee pot next batch.
.94" after the photo

David K - 9-15-2014 at 02:34 PM

Keep reporting as long as you can Russ! Thank you and be safe!

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 02:37 PM

Just ran outside. Water still far from the boat house doors. We are doing much better than Mulege. So far anyway.

The tide line you see with all the junk is from last year. Still most of the shell berm is in tact today so I'm not too worried unless this one stalls over us at high tide. .98" in my rain-o-gage now. I think that is about a third of the actual rain.

Robertofox - 9-15-2014 at 02:38 PM

Hey Russ. You can borrow my surfboard at my house. Looks like you have a good break in front of yours!! Get your seat belt on.....

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 03:45 PM

Surf has doubled in size now and the wind too. almost 1.25 in the rain-o gage and the shell berm is mostly gone. Don't want to go see how far the water is but my bed room is starting to get real wet from the blow in under the door and down the wall from the AC. Gonna be a long night. I'm saying my best prayers for those that are really getting hit.

blackwolfmt - 9-15-2014 at 03:51 PM

Hey Russ

que la fuerza esté con usted

Russ - 9-15-2014 at 04:39 PM

Really into it now. Generator rope broke and it doesn't turn over. I don't like this one bit. Wind has to be over 50 rain between 2 & 4" per hour.

David K - 9-15-2014 at 04:41 PM

Stay low and maybe under the bed Russ!

Pescador - 9-15-2014 at 05:28 PM

Come to San Bruno Russ, we have electricity, TV and internet.

Clouseaus - 9-15-2014 at 07:19 PM

Hi Russ:
Thanks for the pictures and the updates. Hang in there.

richfulf - 9-15-2014 at 09:33 PM

Russ,
Thank you for the weather update and pictures, sounds like you're having a great time down there! Seriously, good luck and we're wishing you well. Rich & Kelly

KaceyJ - 9-16-2014 at 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by richfulf
Rich & Kelly

Rich ,

Did Orlando ever get ahold of you ?

Check u2

baja-spirit - 9-16-2014 at 08:02 AM

I am so worried about you Russ.

watizname - 9-16-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja-spirit
I am so worried about you Russ.

Me too.

Robertofox - 9-16-2014 at 08:20 AM

Come on Russ. Let us know your alright! Hopefully, it's just your internet down. Plus, I'm sure you had a sleepless night.......tic, toc...

chivatojoe - 9-16-2014 at 01:34 PM

Well I just want to be the first to welcome you back. Hopefully sooner than later. You have made such a big impact with all your reporting and I can only hope you made it thru the storm without injury.
If there are any immediate needs that I can fly in I 'd be more than happy to accommodate any wishes. All I need is about 1800 feet at either end of the runway. Take care buddy.

mooose29 - 9-16-2014 at 02:30 PM

My Parents just facebook messengered with our care taker who lives in Palo Verde and he said the road out to Punta Chivato, as we all expected, is impassable and that the arroyo is huge and completey full and running fast, I think he said to her "Muy Fuerte Arroyo"

He also said they can't get to Mulege because of the Arroyo at Santa Ines that runs accross the road is running, didnt give any info about Santa Rosallia

He and his family are safe! He said he will try and get out to Punta Chivato tomorrow if he can to give us an update. I will post more if/when I get any other info. We are planning a trip down once we get a handle on everything in the next 5-10 days.

Russ we are all thinking of you down there hope you are safe!!

chivatojoe - 9-16-2014 at 03:27 PM

Thanks for the Chivato road update Moose. Any info is much appreciated so if you should you get anything please post.

ranchopartera - 9-16-2014 at 03:37 PM

I have heard from our caretaker in Palo Verde that the road to Punta Chivato is impassable. The Arroyo Santa Ines is a huge river. In Palo Verde they are cut off from Mulege and Santa Rosalia because bridges are out. He is going to hike over there tomorrow and check things out. Wish I had more to report. I have one small photo but don't know how to download it to this site. Help appreciated.

ranchopartera - 9-16-2014 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29
My Parents just facebook messengered with our care taker who lives in Palo Verde and he said the road out to Punta Chivato, as we all expected, is impassable and that the arroyo is huge and completey full and running fast, I think he said to her "Muy Fuerte Arroyo"

He also said they can't get to Mulege because of the Arroyo at Santa Ines that runs accross the road is running, didnt give any info about Santa Rosallia

He and his family are safe! He said he will try and get out to Punta Chivato tomorrow if he can to give us an update. I will post more if/when I get any other info. We are planning a trip down once we get a handle on everything in the next 5-10 days.

Russ we are all thinking of you down there hope you are safe!!

Arturo1 - 9-17-2014 at 11:32 AM

Any updates to the Punta Chivato Area? Hope Russ is Ok

watizname - 9-18-2014 at 08:50 AM

Russ, Stevie is unable to get to Chivato. He and Shannon are on the way home. He said he will try in a week to get there. He's really disappointed. I'll also try your email.
Mike

Pescador - 9-18-2014 at 09:38 AM

I talked to Russ on the radio. The road is pretty bad, Orlando made it in on the old road which was pretty wet just north of the intersection by the community center. Russ is doing fine. This storm was not as strong as Jimena and we got a lot of rain and wind, but again not quite up to par with Jimena. The road to Santa Rosalia is a mess, every little arroyo that could carry water did and there are power poles toppled over and lots of rocks and mud on the highway. Guerro's son Memo has had the backhoe and has the road from Palo Verde to Santa Rosalia in pretty good shape.

There were two deaths in Santa Rosalia when a truck from the mine got washed into the arroyo by the train. One was the the head honcho at the mine and his sidekick. One body was recovered and they are still looking for the other. There was serious damage in the marina and the old pier was knocked out. Several boats were grounded and a couple are complete losses.
The runway at Palo Verde is covered with rocks and gravel and is unusable.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by Pescador]

baja-spirit - 9-18-2014 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the update Jim...we all are hoping our paradise survived. So glad Russ is doing fine. thanks again...P&G

Arturo1 - 9-18-2014 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for the Info. Jim, That Russ Guy is a Real Trooper. : )

watizname - 9-18-2014 at 03:23 PM

Good to hear some news from there. Thanks. :D

bajaboy1 - 9-18-2014 at 05:20 PM

Russ, thanks for all the updates, we really appreciate it. We met you last Oct. after a squall went through and couple of trucks were stuck in the road. We were planning a trip down for this week but holding off now. Planned to camp at the beach. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Hope you're doing ok. Stay safe.

bigmike58 - 9-20-2014 at 06:53 AM

heading out to chivato to deliver some stuff to russ and check on a few homes.. i hope the road is passable with 4x4

Robertofox - 9-20-2014 at 07:45 AM

Big Mike58, I read a couple of days ago, that the old road was easier than the newer route. Hope that helps. If conditions are right, would you check our house too on our parcel? Our parcel is the one with the high pila behind the beach front homes. No homes in the back. Mine has the yellow wall around on the south end and the house is yellow too. Muchas gracias amigo.......if you can....We are stuck here in the states for a couple of months!!.............Robert

Robertofox - 9-20-2014 at 07:48 AM

To Big Mike58, the road to our parcel is the first entrance north of where the old road comes out to the back road below the hills that run on the west side. Hope that helps...gracias again

bigmike58 - 9-20-2014 at 08:06 AM

I will try,,!,,

chivatojoe - 9-20-2014 at 09:24 AM

If anyone can make it you can. Thanks for checking... Alex had a friend out out in a panga and he said that it didn't look to bad . Sure hope he's right.Let me know if the runway is doable as I am trying to fly This coming Friday. If there are any specific needs I'd be happy to fly them in...

Pescador - 9-20-2014 at 10:05 AM

We drove to Chivato yesterday and it is definitely 4 wheel drive. The road was seriously washed out. I did not see any real damage to houses and the runway looks good. I would stay closer to the ocean side, it may have been a little soft by the run up area where they put a little concrete. We checked about 6 houses very closely and no damage was found. I think everything will come out ok when they get some machinery in to get the road open. It is seriously washed out from the fork of the old road where it goes to the right up until you pass the estuary. The estuary was pretty deep but the Razr went right through.

Arturo1 - 9-20-2014 at 12:16 PM

Our house is next next to Harry's rental, We're on the right if facing the shore. ( Cass Rico) Please take a look if you can.

Thanks, any news would be helpful.

Russ - 9-20-2014 at 12:49 PM

Just a shot note: Thanks to all for their concer and beast wishes. The houses here have all been looked at and have dried out with help of the locals or were unaffected by the storm. Some damage to the more open structures. Don't make plans to come down soon. I doubt we will have our water system going for some time and the truck probably won't be able to get in for awhile either. I believe the equipment we need to fix the road will be busy working on the highway. There are some locals getting in and out now to get out for food and water.

chivatojoe - 9-20-2014 at 01:26 PM

Thanks for your survival efforts and on the spot reporting. I will be flying down Friday so PLEASE let me know what I can bring down to make your life happier...
As always great to have such a concerned / connected neighbor.

mooose29 - 9-20-2014 at 02:03 PM

Russ thanks for the updates. Glad to hear you are safe and sound..sounds like wild few days.

Fastbird - 9-20-2014 at 03:01 PM

A seasoned pilot will be inspecting PCH (the airstrip and taxiway at Punta Chivato) , taking pictures and reporting to the commendant at Loreto today (Sat) or tomorrow. Until Mario Landeros knows the condition of PCH , the Gov will not allow flight plans to PCH. The pictures and report should be available Tuesday the 9/23.

Russ - 9-20-2014 at 03:15 PM

I thought it was you that came in this afternoon. Crazy fly byes.

Quote:
Originally posted by chivatojoe
Thanks for your survival efforts and on the spot reporting. I will be flying down Friday so PLEASE let me know what I can bring down to make your life happier...
As always great to have such a concerned / connected neighbor.

Robertofox - 9-20-2014 at 03:40 PM

Glad to see your ok Russ. Have you heard from Mike Morse at all on his well being? Word has it, he may have broken his leg while checking houses out....welcome back!

Meany - 9-20-2014 at 04:17 PM

Glad to see you back on line.:bounce:

Russ - 9-20-2014 at 05:22 PM

Not sure what happened to one of my post but I'll throw it out again. I saw Watkins flying over the runway earlier today and then a twin did a few flybys and landed so I can guess that the runway is serviceable.
Carlos just dropped off some needed meds for me and had talked to Guero about the road. We're raising some funds to buy diesel for his and Jorge's equipment and hoping they will start repairs Monday if it is freed up from work in SR and the highway. Still no word on water. Bobby?

Russ - 9-20-2014 at 05:26 PM

Mike M came by earlier with supplies from for me from Big Mike. Thanks Mike!! He's definitely hurt but doesn't want to take care of his damaged leg. He just keeps on going.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robertofox
Glad to see your ok Russ. Have you heard from Mike Morse at all on his well being? Word has it, he may have broken his leg while checking houses out....welcome back!

watizname - 9-20-2014 at 08:58 PM

Good to hear from you Russ. :spingrin:

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Mike M came by earlier with supplies from for me from Big Mike. Thanks Mike!! He's definitely hurt but doesn't want to take care of his damaged leg. He just keeps on going.

Russ, I made the right turn off Hwy 1 and headed east. I came across a local parked about 4 miles of the Hwy and ask him if I could make it to Chivato... His reply was "No" Arroyo too deep.... I say screw it, gonna try anyway!

After a couple more slow miles I come across a gringo in a Chev truck - Stuck... He says he knows you.

We hook him up and pull him out, I hand him your stuff and give him some gas and a couple cases of water... We are now out of supplies- Adios! back to Calif.

The road to Chivato...

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by bigmike58]

Punta Chivato (PCH) Runway etc.

Fastbird - 9-21-2014 at 07:31 AM

Cheers fellow PCH pilots and home owners, John Watkins was able to get Special permission( to fly his Piper Super Cub to Punta Chivato Saturday 9/20) from Mario Landeros, the Commandant at MMLT ( who told MMSF it was ok for John to file to PCH). Mario required Giuseppe to call him and approve the flight also. The approval was based on John reporting back to MMLT with the condition of PCH including pictures. John will get the pictures to Mario Landeros on Tuesday. The important thing here is that PCH is in great condition, (John says as good as he has seen it) John says even the taxiway is okay including no ruts and no issue at the arroyo. As always the best surface landing 31 is slightly left of centerline. A Mexican Government King Air C 90 was in the area inspecting and saw John’s yellow cub and radio’d asking if PCH was ok to land ( the Palo Verde strip was not useable) , with John’s report, they landed and barely made tire tracks.
Also John reports he didn’t see any property damage at PC. And the cell phone system is working from Punta Chivato.
All very good news!
Rick