BajaNomad

Anything from Mulege

Pages:  1  

baja Steve - 9-16-2014 at 06:13 AM

Looking for reports from Mulege

micah202 - 9-16-2014 at 06:18 AM

Bob/susan just piped up....they sound rattled,,,but 'okay'.

...probably a good idea to have separate threads now that there's a # of locales with their own concerns

Originally posted by Bob and Susan
6:50am 9-16
on the bay in mulege

horrible wind and rain ALL night
no let up at all

still dark so too early to see any damage

we have never seen so much water

Bob and Susan

we will later...as soon as its dark we go inside
solar power and inverters...probably the only time i'll say I like them

the storm shudders are on the windows and the doors bolted shut

we are an island again as water is all around us ( we built up)

this is a lot more water than the last hurricane

i'm sure there will be lots of damage in town...it's a pretty bad storm

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by micah202]

mtnpop - 9-16-2014 at 07:20 AM

we have been trying several contact numbers we have in Mulege and Santa Rosalia,,,, this morning... no connect yet with any of them so the cell system is also down or overwhelmed...
webcams went down about 3:45 yesterday,,, the mulege one and ones we know of in town... so power and internet was lost about that time..
we did hear that about 6 pm from a local in Mulege that flooding had not happened yet but probably that is not the case this morning...
hoping all are safe....

EngineerMike - 9-16-2014 at 09:30 AM

I have emails & texts in to our college students in La Paz, Guadalajara & Ensenada to relay news from Mulege when its available. They'll hear from familia when comms are back up, & I'll post what's known. Also hoping for detail from La Paz, sounds bad there.

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 10:10 AM

weather...

for the most part the rain is over for now
sunny and WINDY

Wind steady at 30mph

water is draining...
only thing left is the cleanup

we were lucky...cement holds up pretty good in the wind
water is water...it drys

I drained our pool all night and its at the correct lever this morning

this hurricane was pretty bad

PCbaja - 9-16-2014 at 03:27 PM

Ice house road

'10614173_10152693973934732_8118649477190589412_n_zps54b97d7c' to? - See more at: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/brettownleybrettownley/lib...

Sweetwater - 9-16-2014 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCbaja
Ice house road

'10614173_10152693973934732_8118649477190589412_n_zps54b97d7c' to? - See more at: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/brettownleybrettownley/lib...

not much road.....

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by BajaNomad]

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 03:53 PM

mulege river today...

mulege1.jpg - 41kB

mulegemichael - 9-16-2014 at 03:53 PM

more like "ice house lagoon"....sheesh!.....we're screwed!.....need to rally around the folks that live there ALL THE TIME and get them some help NOW!!!....we're in!!!

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 04:01 PM

across from Scotties...water went pretty high

mulege2.jpg - 35kB

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 04:09 PM

the road to the mission not drivable right now...

mission.jpg - 21kB

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 04:16 PM

the town is kinda muddy...clean up has already started

there was a motor grader scrap'n mud by las casitas

the town people work'n hard

Untitledmulege3.jpg - 29kB

Bruce R Leech - 9-16-2014 at 04:29 PM

Thanks Bob

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 04:58 PM

bruce...your place looks the same...

Vince - 9-16-2014 at 05:01 PM

Good work, Bob and Susan. Appreciate it.

SFandH - 9-16-2014 at 05:08 PM

Yes, thanks. Actually, it doesn't look too bad, or am I mistaken? I hope the good folks that have recently moved to Mulege Nuevo off the highway by the Pemex are ok.

Pictures along the river near Oasis would be appreciated. When you have time.

Thanks again.

Mulege

bajadaze - 9-16-2014 at 05:10 PM

Hope this will help some.

hi guys,,,

I just saw this posted about 1/2 hour ago by the bomberos
It came from the coyote sub station so I do not know how they got it posted
must have satellite or something.... I know Geary has ham radio equipment
or think he does..

Well, it's come and gone but certainly not forgotten. Odile will go down
in Mulege's history as a very bad one. The Bomberos from Mulege just
called on the radio to see if we have a pump they can use. The town is
under water. The only stores open are Penguino and Ayleth. Saul Davis'
Tienda is once more under water. No power, no phones. Last report a couple
of hours ago was the first arroyo south of Coyote on the highway has been
washed out. Cars lined up waiting for the piece of equipment working there
to clear a new trail.

ross and janet gilbert

I would think its ok to distribute....

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 05:11 PM

too muddy there : )
I like sand...

others will post pics soon

water drains fast and mud drys fast
cleanup needs to be done soon

more info on roads

bajadaze - 9-16-2014 at 05:13 PM

Francisco is the boat mechanic in San Lucas.

I just talked to Francisco. Bridges are down everywhere. He said it's really bad all over Baja. Palo Verde bridge is down, Santa Rosalia bridge is down. No communications anywhere else. He's not sure about PC. No phone service. I'll call him again tomorrow

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 05:17 PM

please ask about the roads north...
I have people that need to go north ASAP

no trucks going south right now
where is the hold up

blackwolfmt - 9-16-2014 at 05:17 PM

Good to see the town is not under water & sounds like everyone made it through in one piece, Thanks for the pics & info, Oh yeah is this the 1st test for the new diversion project ? did it work?

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by blackwolfmt]

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 05:17 PM

Bob, may we share these photos on Facebook?

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2014 at 05:20 PM

of course...it is what it is

gallesram - 9-16-2014 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
News from a Facebook post one hour old, from a Mulegina currently in TJ. She was in communication with Guerrero Negro authorities.

"No hay paso por Vizcaíno, vado San Pablo con dos metros de agua, y uno de los puentes cerca de Palo Verde se cayó, asi que cambio de planes hasta nuevo aviso de Policía Federal de Guerrero Negro."

English: There is no passage through Vizcaino. San Pablo arroyo has 2 meters of water. And one of the bridges near Palo Verde collapsed. Therefor, a change in plans until further news from the Federal Police in Guerrero Negro.

Bob this was posted earlier; looks like the hold up is Vizcaino for sure but also problems at Palo Verde

Bruce R Leech - 9-16-2014 at 05:41 PM

any one down there is vary busy with there own problems right now, Im sure there will be lots of photos later.

cliffh - 9-16-2014 at 05:45 PM

Ok the toughest place in Mulege, what are the reports from the jungle Cliff Hope all along the river are doing OK, be down 2nd week of Oct. need anything let me know. Cliff

EngineerMike - 9-16-2014 at 05:48 PM

I wonder if they were pouring drinks in Scotty's like during H.Jimena????
Setting on bar stools in a pool of water & sippin suds. Classic

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 06:10 PM

Here´s the link to a public group on Facebook for those who use the site and want to join. Most people are Mexicans so it´s primarily in Spanish, but I´ve been adding my translations to any of the important news items, which at this point are minimal...

https://www.facebook.com/search/more?q=Comunidad%20Muleg%C3%...

Paula - 9-16-2014 at 07:18 PM

It looks to me like it could have been so much worse in Mulege. The river seems to be within its banks from Bobs photos. I hope it is as it appears. Hard to not be seeing more from Loreto, I am guardedly happy for Mulegeños-- hope it holds!

mtnpop - 9-16-2014 at 08:03 PM

Last we heard is that the water crested over 15 feet close to the Orchard and the Oasis... but that has not been confirmed yet... maybe tomorrow more information will come out...
all we can do is hope a lot of the stories are just that... stories.....

Bruce R Leech - 9-16-2014 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
bruce...your place looks the same...

Bob you are the man In Mulege thanks much, and let us know if there is anything we can do for you and Susan

ecomujeres - 9-16-2014 at 10:47 PM

For those who are thinking about ways to help out with relief to the areas affected by Hurricane Odile, here is a way to donate. For those of you who are familiar with Mulegé, Lily Gutierrez is the daughter of Paty Yee, who used to have the taqueria Rice and Beans next to Casa Yee. She is eager to help out her home town. She is currently attending university in San Diego.

http://www.gofundme.com/ekf82g

EngineerMike - 9-16-2014 at 11:14 PM

I got a confirmation that flood water reached Serenidad but barely, about 6" in one of the residences there.
That means about 10ft in my house, #56 Oasis (which has an 8ft ceiling), 12+ at west end of Oasis & higher in Orchard, based on the "glide slope" of the last few floods. Had to be 20+ feet under the bridge.
those figures square w/in a foot or so of the depth Cliff Taylor quoted to Susie for their Bouse in Oasis when he reached her on a satellite phone earlier today.
Bad flood, maybe a bit less than Jimena, but close.
So far no casualties reported that I've seen.

Bob and Susan - 9-17-2014 at 05:31 AM

EngineerMike please do not post anything you do not know for a fact...
that's how rumors start

you can do that when you're sitting at the jungle

I went to diegos pharmacy yesterday and he was dry ...no mud

Albas was mopping up...they will be clean today

everyone is waiting for electricty

the river did flood but we don't know how much until there are confirmed pictures

since you live on the river in the winter im sure YOU have damage

chuckie - 9-17-2014 at 05:50 AM

Thanks, it's good to hear no problem in Mulege, business as usual eh?

EngineerMike - 9-17-2014 at 08:11 AM

Bob & Susan-
Thanks for your additional observations; more data is better. You are right that I don't have photos down the river to confirm what I've posted. And its possible damage is light, but not likely. Just trying to get a reasonable estimate out based on real reports & filtering those for inaccuracies I can spot.

I have two on-site, after the flood reports. First is Cliff Taylor, who rode out the storm in his house & reported 6-7ft in his house and also "into the loft" which is about 7.5ft (conflicting amounts but not contradictory). Its possible, in fact likely, that 6-8" of that is local flooding, i.e. sheet flow runoff from surrounding hills propping up the flood level on its way to the main thread of the river, and not flood level generated from the valley to our west. Local flooding of that nature was first-hand reported by Rochelle while riding it out in her house next to the Oficina in the Oasis just before the power/internet went out in town. Local flooding of that type has occured before w/zero major valley flooding. So I'm concluding a minimum of 6ft of arroyo flooding at Cliff's house.

2nd, Jerry McCord at noon yesterday reported:
my place at Serenidad got about 6" of muddy water so assume they (folks upstream) got a lot more. River is still high, has widened itself below the bridge. The 'new' road along the river and the lower bridge seem to have survived. Lower road is closed on the town side due to debris before and on the new bridge.

History of our vicinity below the big bridge shows a repeat pattern. To have 6ft at Cliff's place, you have to have more the further west you go, and less toward McCord's at Serenidad, and those two observations square w/the usual (non-random) slope of a Mulege flood. Those numbers & historical observation drive my earlier estimates. Trust me, I wish none of it were true.

If Diego had no water in his store, that's good news vs up to the bar stool seats in Scotty's (across the street) during Jimena which would have put a coupla feet at least in Diego's. That's 2-3ft lower than Jimena, still a major flood. And that squares w/your photo posted 15:01 above, water line there indicates just shy of Diego's, coupla feet in Alba's on the square.

micah202 - 9-17-2014 at 08:39 AM

.....I'm rather concerned to hear that people rode out the storm with water flowing through their homes--there's a possibility that there can be a larger short term 'flush' caused by the recent diversion/hold-back work done in the back country behind Mulege
....has anyone surveyed,assessed this work either before or since Odile?

....did anyone measure the amount of rain that fell in the region during Odile?

...I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's taken a look back there...
.........u2u's welcome!

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by micah202]

Jdgranlund - 9-17-2014 at 10:11 AM

I tried the Facebook link above but it appears to have been removed. Does anyone know of any other sties with info about Mulege? My father was last heard from in the Mulege area on Monday evening.

Bruce R Leech - 9-17-2014 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jdgranlund
I tried the Facebook link above but it appears to have been removed. Does anyone know of any other sties with info about Mulege? My father was last heard from in the Mulege area on Monday evening.

just wait it out Here, there is very little coming out of Mulege yet.

Justbozo - 9-17-2014 at 11:03 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/890051607690642/?fref=ts

Try copy and paste this link for the Mulege Facebook page above.

cocoscabana - 9-17-2014 at 11:42 AM

This report and photo just came to FB from the Sub Estacion Bomberos of Mulege

Justbozo - 9-17-2014 at 11:48 AM

Mulege bomberos on the Bay Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mulege-Bomberos-Sub-Estacion-...

cocoscabana - 9-17-2014 at 11:50 AM

Just received this on FB from Sub Estacion Bomberos of Mulege

"We took our the bay Bomberos big trash pump into town so the Bomberos in town could use it to fill the tankers out of the river and then use that water to wash mud out of peoples houses. It's extremely bad in town. The new road and bridge under the highway bridge is gone. The road to the mission under the bridge is gone. There is no power, altho CFE is working, no phone service, and so far no help from outside. The road to Santa Rosalia is gone in sections so no traffic through there. Some traffic between us and Loreto but not much. The Military has taken over all airports in central and lower Baja and landing strips still operational and no private aircraft allowed. The fence at the entrance to La Fortuna is gone. The roof on Scarecrows house is mostly gone as are many roofs in town. And because of all the recent big equipment work done above town all the water that came down was full of more dirt than usual so mud is feet deep in some places in town."

gallesram - 9-17-2014 at 01:40 PM

Here are some shots of the Orchard that I just received. Very sad

EngineerMike - 9-17-2014 at 02:17 PM

I just spoke by landline (came up ~1hr ago) to Rafael Cuesta & his sweatheart Antonia:
1/2meter water in Saul's store, about 2ft less than Jimena
still no electricity, no water
entire portion of concrete road to Loma Azul reported gone (don't think that was 1st hand)
They live on hill above Saul's & haven't ventured much past Saul's tienda. Saul got most of his inventory to high ground before flood hit.
Cuesta's lost a portion of their roof during storm & repaired it during the wind & rain w/3 families riding it out in their home. Gotta be a lot of roofs lost wholly or partially.
Pinguino & Ayleth stores operating on generators.

PCbaja - 9-17-2014 at 03:42 PM

El Rio

ecomujeres - 9-17-2014 at 04:14 PM

News announcement from Radio Kashana in Sta. Rosalia today.
Please excuse any typos I might have made...You can read the original in Spanish here:

http://www.radiokashana.org/noticias/2-desaparecidos-1-herid...

Two missing, one injured, damage incalculable in wake of Odile in Mulege.

Hurricane Odile passed through Santa Rosalia, BCS the night of Sept. 15th as a Category 1 storm. The majority of the population was left without internet service at about 6 pm, when there was a complete blackout as well as cell service in town.

Radio stations that have their repeater stationed in Sta. Rosalia also stopped functioning at that time, leaving the population without communication (as of this edition, the signal still has not been reestablished), with the only means of communication being spotty land line connections.

On Sept. 16 at midday electricity was restored and on Sept. 17 both internet and cell service was back up. In the town of Mulege they are still without electricity as of 3 pm Sept. 17.

The meeting of the Municipal Board for Civil Protection that took place at 1 pm Wednesday Sept. 17 in the regional offices of SEP in Sta. Rosalia resulted in a number of agreements between the diverse agencies that make up the board. The board is calling on the residents of Santa Rosalia and all of the municipality of Mulege to spread this message however possible.

- There will not be potable water service for 10 days between Palo Verde and Santa Rosalia.
- There will be no classes throughout the municipality until further notice
- Food vending on the street is strictly prohibited
- Travel from Santa Rosalia south to La Paz has been restored, from Sta. Rosalia north is still pending where there are 6 cuts in the road before Vizcaino.

In San Ignacio there is report of one injury which occured after Gilberto Villa Romero crashed his car. He suffered a head head injury and a perforated lung, both of which are life-threatening.
When they found themselves without communication, the local board made the decision to place the injured man at the top of the list to be transported when the helicopter, requested from the Fed. govt., arrived.

In Sta. Rosalia Kyoung Jin Park, general manager of the Boleo mine, as well a another representative of the mine, have been reported missing. Park has not been seen since Sept. 15 when the hurricane passed through town, and the car that he used was found the next day at the port, with the lights on and floating within the tons of debris the arroyo carried to the port.

These are the casualties that have been reported up to this time in the aftermath of Hurricane Odile. Property damage has not been calculated, but they have not been extraordinary considering the extent of the storm. Water, food, mattresses, blankets and other supplies will be delivered shortly by air to those communities that are still incommunicado.

ecomujeres - 9-17-2014 at 10:16 PM

For those who can access Facebook, here's the link to an album of photos from various points around town.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=962450200448608&...

Please make sure that the entire link is underlined and active, otherwise, copy and paste it in the browser.

I have been in direct contact with friends in Mulege via Facebook chat. Internet seems to be available for some and not others and is spotty. Some land lines mainly in the center of town. Also contact made with Guerrero Negro, but still no cells there or local internet.

Photos show the new construction under the bridge did not hold up and there is, of course, a huge gap. Lots of mud everywhere.

My friends from the Red Cross will be out tomorrow visiting the various neighborhoods to see which families need supplies.

Not surprisingly, their report confirms there is no access to the sierras west of town. Perhaps the Bomberos have been able to reach some of the ranches by VHF radio...

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by BajaNomad]

BajaNomad - 9-18-2014 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Justbozo
https://www.facebook.com/groups/890051607690642/

There are more photos added to the Mulege FB group above, here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.890606904301779&a...

Janzie - 9-18-2014 at 08:39 AM

I see lots of photos from the Orchards. Does anyone have any from around Oasis? Specifically #510, and environs if you're there. We're not able to get down until November, but would like to have some idea what we're to expect. Muchos gracias.

micah202 - 9-18-2014 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
.....I'm rather concerned to hear that people rode out the storm with water flowing through their homes--there's a possibility that there can be a larger short term 'flush' caused by the recent diversion/hold-back work done in the back country behind Mulege
....has anyone surveyed,assessed this work either before or since Odile?

....did anyone measure the amount of rain that fell in the region during Odile?

...I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's taken a look back there...
.........u2u's welcome!

...okayyy,,,finally got word from someone who viewed the work in question--it sounds like it was diversions of flow rather than efforts to dam water,,,so the result is likely an extra amount of mud rather than any potential of increased risk.......I can sleep deeper and quieter now ;D

cocoscabana - 9-18-2014 at 04:22 PM

Ecomujeres...please check your u2u

Bob and Susan - 9-18-2014 at 05:45 PM

today the river was clear and down...

cleanup continues quickly

water for the main town tomorrow then the neighborhoods as the pipes are fixed
big electric generator for the water pump was installed today

lots of work on the electric lines from santa rosalia...poles down

gas at the Pemex but no diesel...I bought diesel easily in santa rosalia...
lots of gas trucks running north and returning

water road block at san Ignacio...2 days till safe to pass

edit: oh yea...the lumber yard at palavered/sanlucascove has lots of plywood and lumber...lots of water tanks in a trailerin the back...ask

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by Bob and Susan]

Janzie - 9-18-2014 at 08:09 PM

As yet we don't know Bob and Susan, but we appreciate so much that they are doing such a great job of keeping us up to date.

Bruce R Leech - 9-18-2014 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Janzie
As yet we don't know Bob and Susan, but we appreciate so much that they are doing such a great job of keeping us up to date.

Dont ever pass up a chance to meet them, they are very fine people

Baja Bucko - 9-18-2014 at 09:15 PM

Since you are in Mulege could you please possibly ask around to see who has 2 meter radio contact with any of the families in the Guadalupes to see how they fared?? R. Represito -Felix Villavicencio or any one up there...the remote rancho families were so kind to us la Mula Mil travelers in Nov-Dec and we are concerned. Thanks!

Gulliver - 9-18-2014 at 09:54 PM

Just got an email from Cliff (Oasis jack of all trades). He is driving North with an injured person.

He reports that our house (#511 in the Oasis) experienced perhaps 7-8 feet of water and lost our big front windows in spite of them being covered with plywood last Spring. No other structural damage reported. Just a bunch of mud to remove and start the biennial (triennial?) remodel. No word on whether any of the river front road has survived.

Bob and Susan - 9-19-2014 at 05:55 AM

the road in front of your place is damaged...you need to come down from the top road

the new cement road is ok

the river looks normal now...just a lot of damage on the sides

the town is a lot cleaner...geezzz these people can clean up fast

edit: the town does not look like the pictures above anymore
its sunny and clear
a lot of work has been done

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by Bob and Susan]

wetto - 9-19-2014 at 08:24 AM

Any news of the Fortuna homes in Mulege would be appreciated.
Damages, high water levels etc.
I am aware of Saul's flooding.

Thank you.

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by wetto]

chuckie - 9-19-2014 at 08:27 AM

First pic on page 3 is looking into La Fortuna...quite a bit of damage, but no details yet....

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by chuckie]

wetto - 9-19-2014 at 08:41 AM

Thank you Chuckie,

I did notice the photo and, like you, did not see the extent of damages. Nice to know the riverfront homes are still there...always a good sign.

wetto - 9-19-2014 at 08:49 AM

Does any one know of additional donation sites to contribute specifically to Mulege? I did see one family's request.
Rotary, Fire Department etc.
Any that get the $ or goods delivered to the most needy or for all to enjoy through infrastructure repair / water delivery.

Huerta don Chano - Mulege

sailgal - 9-19-2014 at 09:30 AM

Not much said about the other side of the river. Anyone have any info on the Lighthouse road? Is the paved Malecon still there? Heard from anyone in the Huerta?

chuckie - 9-19-2014 at 09:37 AM

Unconfirmed report said paved portion was gone..I have seen nothing from Don Chanos or Loma Azul as yet...

mtnpop - 9-19-2014 at 11:04 AM

unconfirmed but reliable source,, said the malecon was buckled pretty bad and that it took a 4x4 to navigate that way.
one of our workers in The Orchard is able to get some pictures out to us the last couple of nights.. some really bad some not so bad.. but a mountain of
work just to get in...
trying to find if donations can be sent thru Rotary international and directed to Mulege'
thanks to all that want to help..

Brinloor - 9-19-2014 at 11:42 AM

The new malecon is disconnected and separated from Don Chano's by a good expanse of water. Rough road to Loma Azul did not extend to the Lighthouse (which is once again an island) as of yesterday. The restaurant portion of El Patron is gone.

Bob and Susan - 9-19-2014 at 04:12 PM

water is on again in town...
sapa has a generator running...
second generator being hooked up today for the newer second pump

gas and diesel was available at the Pemex today...
they use a generator for power

each day it gets better and better
lots of dirt and mud being moved

chuckie - 9-19-2014 at 04:15 PM

Atta way to go....Thanks

Bruce R Leech - 9-19-2014 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
water is on again in town...
sapa has a generator running...
second generator being hooked up today for the newer second pump

gas and diesel was available at the Pemex today...
they use a generator for power

each day it gets better and better
lots of dirt and mud being moved

Thank you Bob

EngineerMike - 9-19-2014 at 06:39 PM

See the thread on Relief for Mulege for donation assistance to Mexicanos who are in need due to the flood. Thanks, Mike

ecomujeres - 9-19-2014 at 09:16 PM

Donations for Santa Rosalia, Mulege and Surrounding areas.

Fundación Hagamos Más por Santa Rosalía is assessing needs in surrounding areas and raising funds to help as much as they can. They accept material donations in Santa Rosalia as well as cash donations through Bancomer. They are the same group that has been doing great work in Santa Rosalia with the dog shelter, spay/neuter clinic, recycling programs, and other social programs in their and outlying communities. Please consider offering support through this local group.

Hagamos_mas-solicitud_eng by dvalov, on Flickr

Alm - 9-19-2014 at 11:31 PM

I'm curious about Sta Rosalia itself. The Fundacion is in Sta Rosalia, but - hopefully - this town was affected less than others. I don't hear anything from Sta Rosa. Though gringo population there is small, mostly concentrated in 2 camps in San Lucas cove.

PS: found it. Two Koreans died. Their car was swept off the highway and into the port:
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/se-termina-el-saldo-blanco-por-odi...

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by Alm]

Bob and Susan - 9-20-2014 at 05:33 AM

it's a lot cooler today...but...a little humid outside

DSC01596.JPG - 41kB

bigmike58 - 9-20-2014 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
I'm curious about Sta Rosalia itself. The Fundacion is in Sta Rosalia, but - hopefully - this town was affected less than others. I don't hear anything from Sta Rosa. Though gringo population there is small, mostly concentrated in 2 camps in San Lucas cove.

PS: found it. Two Koreans died. Their car was swept off the highway and into the port:
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/se-termina-el-saldo-blanco-por-odi...

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by Alm]

marina is bad, some big boats on the rocks, some sunk, sta roselia yacht club slips gone,,,stopped by san lucas they say water on in 2 weeks to sta roselia power on, have pics but cannot upload direct ti this site,, must jump thru 20 hoops first, will post pics when laptop and wifi is availible, off to check on russ at chivato

cocoscabana - 9-20-2014 at 08:34 AM

Curious about the condition of the beach communities south of Mulege, in particular Playa Los Cocos and El burro. And the small community of Coyote around Estrella del Mar and storage area. Bob and Susan?..any reports?

EngineerMike - 9-20-2014 at 09:14 AM

Mulege food packet kitty is up to $950. Thanks to all who are contributing.

I just reached Saul by phone to get him started on the assembly & distribution. First time I've got him on the phone. He got 4ft of water, front window broke & he lost some inventory out the window. They got most stuff up high before the flood, but lost soda pop & some cooking oil when the window broke. Whole familia is there, they are scrubbing out right now, water is on ~7hrs per day, still no electricity but he's got a generator. Soon as the store is washed they can start the packet brigade.

EngineerMike - 9-20-2014 at 09:17 AM

Cocos- Word from the beaches is that there is nominal wind damage, but otherwise in good shape. I think the way the storm passed the high hills west of the beaches sheltered them, and of course there is limited area to build up heavy flooding.

EngineerMike - 9-20-2014 at 10:45 AM

Just heard from the Havig's, Bill & Judy. They are in Sta.Rosalia where cel service is up, doing chores and will do email shortly at the chicken joint.
They are staying at the Mulege Hotel where services are spartan enough the Hotel is refusing new bookings even tho they have rooms. Got water part time like the rest of downtown, no electricity. Caroline is there, Gene was taken to San Diego for treatment of his legs about mid-week.

Orchard-Oasis-Jungle-Maribelle (south) side of the river will have no water for a while, numerous breaks in the main. Electricity will take till the poles/lines are repaired & CFE has work basically everywhere so that will be TBD for time. I took down replacement main breakers for the Oasis some time back, hopefully Leon had them high enough they will be an easy swap when power comes back on.

My ceiling is confirmed- on the floor. Water got over the ceiling joists. Actual flood level was about 6" lower than Jimena but this flood was powerful & probably more damage than Jimena, maybe due to long duration or possibly due to the heavy mud making the water thicker so heavier. Breakage of walls is common tho sporadic (cracked lines in block walls & shift in the alignment so wall isn't straight). Good construction before held up, cheap work didn't. Ken Martin & others lost walls that broke in under the pressure. Jimmy Christopher lost his workshop to some extent again, haven't seen the photos yet but Bill will distribute them.

Relief fund for food packets is up to $1450.

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by EngineerMike]

Ribbonslinger - 9-20-2014 at 11:36 AM

Hello Engineer Mike

Our place is M1 behind Leon's office. Have you seen what shape it is in?

Thanks

Ron & Linda

EngineerMike - 9-20-2014 at 02:28 PM

Tussy's place across street from you had 6ft water inside, not to the top of doors but close. Yours is up a bit from the ground but not as much as theirs. I'm guessing 7-7.5ft inside yours. I tried Leon by landline this a.m. but no answer; guessing lines are down & need to be restrung before he'll get service back.
Best of luck. Good thing is structurally you are well shielded from the force of the water. I'd expect window damage but not broken walls.
And mud. Always the mud. Plenty of mud.

EngineerMike - 9-20-2014 at 03:46 PM

Relief fund for food packets is up to $1,600.
Thanks to all, Mike

mulegemichael - 9-20-2014 at 03:57 PM

mike...sorry....one more time where we send relief...i promise this will be the last time....and....does our house still have a roof????....amaaaaaaaaazing!

EngineerMike - 9-20-2014 at 04:53 PM

Relief fund for food packets was just matched by a generous couple, so we are up to $3,200.

Saul wasn't home, so I talked to his daughter. He had to get out of the store, the mud & condition of his business, and just take a walk to clear his head.
When I told Julia the news, she was overcome with emotion & couldn't respond due to the tears. It took some time for her to regain her composure. It was very touching, and she says "God Bless all who are thinking of Mulege at this difficult time."

There are many people out of work at this time of year, they are without refrigeration & money and need help. Her family was already assembling packets from our call this a.m. when the fund was at $850, as the needs around town are immediate. This was a nice ray of sunshine to know there are others who are thinking of those who are in trouble and willing to lend a hand.

Paypal donations can be sent thru me at mike@fleming.cc (not dot com)
If you wish to send a check (I have some email pledges that way):
Mike Fleming
1284 Vintage Way
Auburn, CA 95603

Last time we did this folks donated $1,950 and we distributed 66 food packets IIRC. We are doing even better this time. Thanks to all!

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by EngineerMike]

WillieAirstream Status?

walters886 - 9-20-2014 at 07:35 PM

Has anyone in the Mulege area seen or heard from Richard, aka willieAirstream? Friends would like to know about his safety and situation. Thanks in advance, Walt and Nina Stolar

JimmyChristopherDaughter - 9-20-2014 at 08:15 PM

Engineer Mike or others who may know Jimmy Christopher, let him know we want him to be safe and don't try to build that darn workshop back too fast. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone there. I'll reach out to the Rotary Clubs in Las Vegas and Henderson (NV), hopefully they haven't already committed funds else where and can contribute to Mulege.

Just refresh the procedure....

Subastador - 9-21-2014 at 12:05 AM

ON LINE DONATIONS THRU MULEGE ROTARY

DONATION PROCEDURE USING PAYPAL:

We are using Mike Fleming's paypal account. Here is how you do that:

1. go to paypal.com

2. login as usual

3. click on "send money"

4. copy and past or just type in TO: mike@fleming.cc

5. fill in your donation amount, click "PERSONAL" and choose "gift" and click continue.

6. on the next screen scroll down & write in the note space: "Forward this donation to Mulege Rotary" then click send and you have donated.

Some caveats:
First, misspelling will mess things up so cut and paste is the way to go.
Second: PayPal may hold large donation amounts for a day or two to "verify funds" or have other similar process with your account, usually they explain that on screen or in an email. No big deal.

Third: in step 5 above, clicking PERSONAL and choosing gift eliminates the 3% paypal fee so 100% of your donation is received.

Thanks for supporting Rotary and the fine citizens of Mulege.

Any questions....fire away. Use this forum or my email: tntsell@sbcglobal.net

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 02:00 AM

Random pics..

What used too be the Malicon,

What was the boat ramp..

What was the road to the ramp..

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by bigmike58]

The lighthouse is now an island and the boats are able to drive between El Patron restaurant and the lighthouse!!!

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 02:29 AM

A few more,

The Airstrip at The Serinadad,

Power poles heading South!

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cocoscabana
Curious about the condition of the beach communities south of Mulege, in particular Playa Los Cocos and El burro. And the small community of Coyote around Estrella del Mar and storage area. Bob and Susan?..any reports?

Posada not to bad, couple of sailboats beached,

Burro has High Water.. Looks like a few got wet floors, maybe more.

? Beach,

Santispac,

Bob and Susan - 9-21-2014 at 02:56 AM

my report...
if you have ANY interests in the mulege area you need to come and take care of your problems ASAP
do not wait till nov dec as some did the last big storm

the was a bad storm
roads are open and passable

mtnpop - 9-21-2014 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
my report...
if you have ANY interests in the mulege area you need to come and take care of your problems ASAP
do not wait till nov dec as some did the last big storm

the was a bad storm
roads are open and passable [/quote

Bob,
we understand what you are saying but recent emails form others on the ground in Mulege tell us that please don't show up all at once or to wait awhile longer...
Spotty water supply, no electric, food is still in short supply.
This would make us believe that what can you actually accomplish when you get there... Most of us in town have locals that know what we need to get done and take care of it..
Cell service came on yesterday so we were able to contact our folks to start.... I too am anxious to get there and git r done but having been in these before I don't want to add to the problem.... Just my humble opinion.....

PlanB - 9-21-2014 at 08:38 AM

Willy Airstream just sent one - helping on our place with crew for mucking and cleaning. didn't comment how he made out.

[Edited on 21-9-2014 by PlanB]

willyAirstream - 9-21-2014 at 09:45 AM

I had 18 inches of water and 2 of mud in my new place. Old place had 8 ft of water, 24 of mud. Moved sept 1st, just in time.
Water line on south river road is gone. Tele gone.

North road is passable, barely. No power , water in town central 5 hours aday, no money in atm, but it works. Many folks lost everything. Penguinos is up and running with a good food supply and good generators. Sauls is completely trashed. Aylets lost their generator. Mud everywhere, but clean up is in progress.
Jorge Yee lost everything, his beautiful house is basically gone. He is looking for a semi trailer , 18 wheel type. Anyone have any leads. He will import it.

Shari... i waited for bigmike for 45 minutes.

Major damage here. It will be quite awhile before water and elec arrives in orchard and oasis.

Cliff ....email me asap

We have internet in mulege, if u have a generator. Online for 30 more minutes, if any questions

EngineerMike - 9-21-2014 at 09:51 AM

I hope someone had the presence of mind to pull the floating part of the boat ramp dock & store it above flood level. That was a lot of work & buncha good materials, hope its still usable.

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
I hope someone had the presence of mind to pull the floating part of the boat ramp dock & store it above flood level. That was a lot of work & buncha good materials, hope its still usable.

Mike at Chivato said it is on their beach along with Jorge Yee's big black water pila.

willyAirstream - 9-21-2014 at 12:01 PM

I am at Equipalce ,sp, restaurant using the internet . The US Consulate from tj is here with at least 20 support personal. He interviewed me, but had no answers concerning elec , water or internet.

Many people have emailed saying they are rushing here.Dont do it. Hotels can not take on guest with out services, gringo areas are with out services and will be with out for a long long time. Streets are a mess, dust is a problem as is mosquitos and flies. South river road is not passable, north is barely passable. Luma Azul is with out any services, as well as other gringo areas.Cell service is available in town only.
Food and mattresses are being handed out to anyone in need.
Backhoes are working hard cleaning up, but at least 2 have flat tires.

No bad days in Mulege, except in September.

chuckie - 9-21-2014 at 12:50 PM

Thanks Richard.....My thoughts and best wishes are with all of you...

Posada-BushPilot - 9-21-2014 at 01:22 PM

Critical Need

Anyone headed to Mulege or thru Mulege going south fairly soon?
We need to have 20 gallons of product needed to operate a mosquito abatement fogging machine owned by the Rotary Club. It is broken into 5 gallon containers. Transporting one container would be a help.
We will figure out a way to have it available in a location that is convenient for pick up.

IMHO, this need is vital. Does not appear that we will be able to depend on the Feds this time because the damage to BCS is so widespread. We have reports that people are already becoming Ill.
You can respond using my personal email if you wish: kasakepee@gmail.com

EngineerMike - 9-21-2014 at 03:07 PM

Relief fund thru Mulege Rotary is up to $4,800 and growing.

As you can see from Posada-BushPilot, Rotary in-absentia is stepping up to produce real results. I can tell you from personal experience, the mosquito problem is real health level stuff. There was report dengue fever was in Todo Santos prior to the flood, and one unconfirmed case in Mulege also prior to flood. This is usually when dengue breaks out due to the swarms of mosquitoes hatching out. Very important work, along w/the food effort.
Thanks to all who can contribute!!

willyAirstream - 9-21-2014 at 03:23 PM

Several outbreaks occured prior to the storm. MotoAl is coming down soon, i will make sure he sees this
 Pages:  1