BajaNomad

Going back after 12 years-Best ways to avoid crime.

travelinman - 9-26-2014 at 07:01 PM

I realize that this is either a boring topic or will cause some negative response. Who wants to talk about crime in Baja or Mexico in Mexico.
I have loved our trips to few trips Baja, but my wife is naturally concerned about the violence in Mexico.

We have always traveled by Motorhome. Adding a Samurai 4x4 with car top 13' gregor 15hp.

We liked San Lucas, Bahia de Los Angeles, El Coyote (Camp Renee).

I would like help in planning a smart safe trip in a positive way:

Is anyone using special preparation, convoys, routes that can relief some of the fears of current travel in Mexico?

Are there any areas of concern?

What has changed in the last ten years in crime to visitors?

Thanks for the help! I would like to go again....

Ateo - 9-26-2014 at 07:11 PM

1. People do caravan. Most do not. Don't worry about it. I bring my kids there all the time.

2. No areas of concern that I know of, unless you're talking about certain towns where the cops may pull you over to get a "tip". Was that Constitucion guys?

3. Crime to visitors? Lock your valuables. Don't leave your passport in the car. Be smart.

This is not Sinaloa or Michoacan. People traverse the peninsula every day with no problems. Racing crews from around the world fly their people in 3 times a year and no one gets beheaded. The fear level needs reduction. Baja is a chill place from what I experience. Compton, at night, is very more scary.

Go and have a great time. No different then driving around the good ol' USA! Watch out for cops!!

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by Ateo]

travelinman - 9-26-2014 at 07:23 PM

Some very good general suggestions. Thank you for taking the time.

I do not visit or camp in Compton, so my level of comparisons are Sierra, CA coast, state parks.

I have had great and some tougher crime experiences on Baja in the far past, so I expect mordido and small things. I am careful with stories of bizarre crime and stories of no crime.

So you are saying that all the crime stories are BS and things are fine in recent years? No problems with visitors, campers, etc. That is good to hear...

Any areas you would recommend to get back in to the spirit of Baja?

Thanks for your help!

DENNIS - 9-26-2014 at 07:46 PM

Just conduct yourself, and your life as you would anywhere else. Don't allow yourself to be vulnerable to predators. Be vigilant and don't drive at night.
That, and a half dozen Claymores around the camp spot will guarantee an uneventful vacation.

bajacalifornian - 9-26-2014 at 07:55 PM

Welcome home . . . no worries. Don't drive at night unless you have good driving

lights . . . watch those uphill left hand turns & be aware of your stuff through the

checkpoints. Then, return often.

sancho - 9-26-2014 at 07:58 PM

I'm 70 mi. no. of TJ, started going down in the '70's surfing,
the reports of violence, mostly border related were true. Friends of mine stopped going so. 5 yrs or so ago, they recently
have began going back. To me the underlying fact was the Cartel
violence, while impossible to ignore, was never aimed at Joe Gringo Tourist, they were just never a target. Baja risks remained
the same for me, a small risk of petty theft, and the necessity
of driving . If there was a large risk, this board would be covered
with incidents, I can't remember more than a very few, some being totally
avoidable.. I've seen no rise in violence against common Tourists. I think it is fairly accepted here that camping alone, especially in a spot where one can be seen, MAY not
be prudent

baja safe

captkw - 9-26-2014 at 08:07 PM

Hola,I get asked a lot about how unsafe it is down in mex.. my dog is a famous Baja dog and folks talk to me by the 100's all day long !!.......I look them in the Eye and state..."Ya, Its dangerous down there,,I have to drive thru Hell.A. (LA) And San dieago to get There!! get your kids and family and go about a month from now !! and bring stuff down with ya !! for the local folks !! Just had a kickass storm,,don't ya know!!~

travelinman - 9-26-2014 at 08:14 PM

I appreciate all the good ideas and sound advice: Driving, camping alone, petty theft. .All good stuff.
Used up my claymores last time, but I have brought things I should not in the past...I am smarter now, I hope.
What is the going suggested "tip" at the check point if they start to go through your stuff, I have never done that, but they do try to take things.

Thanks, again

travelinman - 9-26-2014 at 08:26 PM

Thanks for mentioning the storm. I am not aware of the entire damages. If needed we can bring things from the states. If you have any distribution ideas, areas, agencies or items, let me know.

We are going down Christmas or winter.

Travlin man

captkw - 9-26-2014 at 08:27 PM

once your down past the "CURVE",,,Its rather safe.. be VERY careful north of that and san Quintin is a bad area,, due to im's from the mainland...over all its a very safe,,fun place !!

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by captkw]

AKgringo - 9-26-2014 at 09:21 PM

Where to start? First, this isn't cartel country, and you will be as safe as traveling in the US if you just be aware of your surroundings and use normal precautions.
I have never 'tipped' at an inspection point, or ever lost anything (except some fruit at an agricultural checkpoint)
If stopped by local police show your license if asked, but don't turn it over to them so they can extort a bribe (mordida). With the Federal police, do what they say. I paid a fine to get my license back once in La Paz because I was driving a car with no top on it, my dog in the car, and no idea where to get it back.
The next season, same thing, same area, but I held on to my license, said "no mordida" and told them to give me a ticket or let me go. Which they did, because I don't think they wanted me going down to talk to their supervisors. I now carry a license I 'lost' and the replacement is safe with my passport just in case it happens again.
I got more, but not now, G.L.

David K - 9-26-2014 at 09:30 PM

Crime happens every day in the USA... A Baja vacation is far safer!

dasubergeek - 9-26-2014 at 11:12 PM

If it isn't locked up, you don't care about it. Be polite but not self-effacing to the police if pulled over. Don't drive at night south of Ensenada (from Ensenada to the border is perfectly fine, even to Tecate, at night). And above all, don't be a p*nd*jo.

You'll find it's changed significantly in 12 years, crime-wise.

Alm - 9-26-2014 at 11:47 PM

Chances to get asked for mordida at the border are almost non-existent. Federal officers are better paid and not as corrupted as local cops. Happens maybe once in a few years and then Nomads are talking about it for another year :)

When they "go through your stuff" at the border, this is what customs officers are supposed to do. And there is a perfectly legal tax 15%, but they don't - usually - tax the items that are obviously for camping and not in commercial quantity.

Chances to get stopped by local cops are low too, especially if you go through San Ysidro and toll highway. You won't get stopped on the highway unless for some serious reason. On the streets of Ensenada - it's only few miles, you'll pass it in a matter of minutes, unless during rush hour. If you "habla", or if they speak English, ask for a ticket. Should be a few times cheaper than mordida. Cops are getting more active during Christmas season, to the point that they come to the camp asking for "donations", even have some list where they write it down.

On 2 camps of San Lucas Cove near Sta Rosalia security is non-existent, things do get stolen. The 3rd camp, Playa Dos Amigos South of military base, looks quite secure, but you probably won't enjoy it. Permanent residents took all the spaces and some built casitas, there isn't much room for big motorhome, definitely no good spaces. Besides, it gets loud at times, with people running big old generators out in the open - landlord doesn't care.

Bahia de Los Angeles was destroyed by hurricane on September 17. Some camps are almost intact, some badly damaged. You probably will find a space there with a nice view, but consider that 40 or 60 families have lost their homes, I mean - only ruins left. Everybody else got some damage too, and now are busy with repairs. It will take more than a year for this place to recover.

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by Alm]

Bob and Susan - 9-27-2014 at 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
.. my dog is a famous Baja dog and folks talk to me by the 100's all day long !!...~

I've NEVER heard of your dog...how is it "famous"

and 100's a day? I thought you repaired boat motors

I disagree about bringing stuff from the usa to mexico...buy it here...
Costco...walmart....home depot in tj and Ensenada...buy it here in mexico
support this economy

don't smuggle it in at the border to "help" the "poor" here
that's just WRONG

bajabuddha - 9-27-2014 at 06:43 AM

Not mentioned yet; buy pesos at the border or asap on the way south. One of the 'banditos' of Baja are the gas station attendants; if you fumble with US dollars, they can pinch you with the exchange rate or giving change. Get pesos, pay in pesos, no brainer on what things cost. And, don't be surprised if the rig takes more gas than the tank holds. Not a constant, but does happen here and there.

Also, some military checkpoints. They won't check you going south, but coming back home, some of the soldados can be tempted by easy pickings in your rig; binoculars, small cameras, watches, etc... stay with them and be polite when they 'inspect' your rig (most just want to see how fancy you live), but don't think the Army is honest. It is, but a few bad apples get in the box.

DENNIS - 9-27-2014 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Chances to get asked for mordida at the border are almost non-existent.

If only that were true. I have a buddy who transports a lot of small, pick with trailer size loads, north to south, mostly through Tecate. He regularly pays the inspectors in the cab of the truck.
I realize the new crossing, El Chaparral, is making efforts to refine the procedure, but they have a long way to go.

DENNIS - 9-27-2014 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Not mentioned yet; buy pesos at the border or asap on the way south.

Good point. you can eliminate that stop by going to Costco[and, who doesn't go to Costco?] on Broadway in Chula Vista where they have a cambio inside the store, with an exchange rate competitive with any others. Don't waste time and effort looking for the very best tipo de cambio....just buy the gawwwdammm things and get on with your trip.

norte - 9-27-2014 at 07:34 AM

surprised that some of you would consider camping/vacationing in Compton. Lots of excellent campgrounds/wilderness areas in the USA.

DENNIS - 9-27-2014 at 07:44 AM

Compton is up 'n coming on the Conde Nast list of destinations. :o

Bob and Susan - 9-27-2014 at 08:07 AM

dennis...i don't shop at Costco...why pay a store so you can spend money there...its just backwards to me...I know I would save sometimes too...but the "breakeven" point isn't worth it

new sams club opening in Ensenada soon too

as for gas...bajabuddha...if you are shorted gas...prove it...urban myth

last week I got 12.65 at the border...the gas station was giving 12.8 for gas paid with dollars
everyone can do math these days...they have cell phones

I do agree about getting pesos though...mexico pesos...usa dollars...Canada LOONIES!!! : )

travelinman - 9-27-2014 at 08:12 AM

So it sounds like folks have stopped RVing in Compton! I laughed pretty hard at the thought, this morning. Thanks for the fun stuff, too.

I live in the Sierra Nevada and the only petty crime are squirrels stealing nuts and the occasion dead body from LA criminals.

Sounds like the usual Mexico petty crime. You have not heard of any others problems with Americans visiting? I was wondering if the cartel behavior was giving license for petty criminals to be bolder?

Any suggested areas that were not damaged by the storms, as much?

bigmike58 - 9-27-2014 at 08:23 AM

LOL Bob, you pay for a Sam's club membership just like Costco- you can easily recoup the cost in one visit... And Budda is right about the Pemex attendants screwing you when paying in dollars (not at Baja cactus) go see the girls at the last station on the right going north thru Visciano and pay with dollars!

Yes Bob this happened last week after I dropped off the supplies in Mulege and was heading home... As far as the pumps dispensing short-I call B.S. on that rumor also...never have see it in 4 years and I go thru a chitload of fuel.

SFandH - 9-27-2014 at 08:34 AM

If you're on the road and for some reason can't make it to your destination for the night, keep in mind that PEMEX stations allow RVers to spend the night. I've done it several times and the stations I've stayed at were lit up and had a security guard. Let them know you're spending the night and maybe buy the guard something to drink or eat, or give him a tip.

woody with a view - 9-27-2014 at 08:42 AM

the days of bodies hanging from bridges is over, for now! baja is as safe as anywhere. just go, it's too easy......

BajaDanD - 9-27-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travelinman
I appreciate all the good ideas and sound advice: Driving, camping alone, petty theft. .All good stuff.
Used up my claymores last time, but I have brought things I should not in the past...I am smarter now, I hope.
What is the going suggested "tip" at the check point if they start to go through your stuff, I have never done that, but they do try to take things.

"Do not" Tip Military They just want to look and make sure you are not carrying guns or drugs Let them look its their Job. They don't want a tip and they don't expect one.

Thanks, again

Genecag - 9-27-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Chances to get asked for mordida at the border are almost non-existent.

If only that were true. I have a buddy who transports a lot of small, pick with trailer size loads, north to south, mostly through Tecate. He regularly pays the inspectors in the cab of the truck.
I realize the new crossing, El Chaparral, is making efforts to refine the procedure, but they have a long way to go.

I think this is a case where your 'buddy' is making out since he is offering to pay a bribe (lesser amount) over the 15% tax.

Alm - 9-27-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag
Quote:
I have a buddy who transports a lot of small, pick with trailer size loads, north to south, mostly through Tecate. He regularly pays the inspectors in the cab of the truck.

I think this is a case where your 'buddy' is making out since he is offering to pay a bribe (lesser amount) over the 15% tax.

Agreed. I meant that you won't have to pay tax or mordida with a usual RV items. "Transporting" multiple items back and forth in a pickup is a different story, you don't look like a tourist then, so they behave accordingly.

Alm - 9-27-2014 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the usual Mexico petty crime. You have not heard of any others problems with Americans visiting? I was wondering if the cartel behavior was giving license for petty criminals to be bolder?

You still don't believe, do you? No, there are NO problems in Baja with tourists visiting. At least, South of Ensenada. Drug cartels are doing their trafficikng quietly, trying not to draw attention. Consumers market for drugs in Baja is marginal, so it's mostly trafficking to the North - if they are using this Baja route at all.

Small criminals are getting bolder in post-disaster areas, together with "amateurs" from regular locals. Looting becomes common in big cities then. Usual thing, "free for all".

From what I heard, areas not damaged by hurricane are mostly those to the North - Guerrero Negro to San Felipe. Excluding Bahia de LA - this is where the hurricane crossed from Pacific to Cortez and brought tons of rain.

Loreto reportedly got fair amount of rain, some flooding of waterfront, and was cleaned up in a matter of days. Don't know about bugs situation now - it seems to be getting worse every year, with mosquitoes spreading more tropical diseases , and their population spikes up after floods. Though Christmas is the coldest time of the year, not a bugs season.

DENNIS - 9-27-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag

I didn't say he "offered" anything...only that he had to pay under the table. If you want to be privy to the details, you'll have to be there.
Anyway...it hasn't been 15 % for some time now.

Bob and Susan - 9-27-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
... go see the girls at the last station on the right going north thru Visciano and pay with dollars!

damn...I was at THAT station on sunday...I should have paid in dollars...just to check...

I got 90 pesos green gas...bathroom break
I got 90 pesos in santa rosalia right before that...another bathroom break
....women on board
I don't think they shorted me gas

bajabuddha - 9-27-2014 at 11:29 AM

They got a WallyWorld in Compton? Cheapest campgrounds in the U.S., with all-night munchies, beer, pastries, beer, snacks n' chips, beer, rotisserie chicken, beer, great people-watching, beer, flip-flops, beer, veggies, pre-made salads and.... beer. Oh, and cookies.

mtgoat666 - 9-27-2014 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
I realize that this is either a boring topic or will cause some negative response. Who wants to talk about crime in Baja or Mexico in Mexico.
I have loved our trips to few trips Baja, but my wife is naturally concerned about the violence in Mexico.

We have always traveled by Motorhome. Adding a Samurai 4x4 with car top 13' gregor 15hp.

Is anyone using special preparation, convoys, routes that can relief some of the fears of current travel in Mexico?

Don't trust the police!

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/32103_involucran_a_poli...

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by mtgoat666]

willardguy - 9-27-2014 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Don't trust the police!

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/32103_involucran_a_poli...

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by mtgoat666]

"former agent of expert services" sounds like a branch of BajaBlowhards! :lol::lol:

El Vergel - 9-27-2014 at 12:16 PM

Welcome back to the Baja!

In twelve years the roads have become smoother and faster but not widened. Careful with trucks and buses as they'll blow you off the road.

It's way safer there than in Los Angeles. Enjoy your roadtrip and keep us posted!

Best to all from Dogtown / Venice Beach, ranking right up there with Compton!

travelinman - 9-27-2014 at 01:31 PM

What a great rig! I miss by old bus.
Took a 63' Volvo station wagon and towed a trailer and small inflatable in the late mid nineties. Made catching a spiking fish really fun. Did not want to hear that pssssst sound in the water!
Took a 72 Datsun Camper in in the late 90s with 1600 engine. Slow and 25 mpg. great old camper.
Took a 1984 Tioga with a 13' Gregor in 2003. Still have same old boat.
Planning to take a 1990 Jayco with a 84 Sumurai 4x4 and the 13' Gregor or Kayaks on top, this winter.

I have had strange adventures with border, agricultural inspectors, petty robbers, police and even stopped by serious guys in hunting clothes with machine guns on the highway. They had a national pulled over and it did not look good. They motioned me on and I did not stop to ask why. I was so proud of that 63 Volvo pulling a loaded trailer at 85 for the next few miles. Glad a souped it up a bit with a Weber before I left!
Not to mention the local families who learned that they forcefully asked for loot on October 31st. Day of the Dead turned American opportunity in a Baja campground, for a convoy of three pick-ups with 12-15 teenagers, not in costume. Trick or Treat for food and necessities, not Candy. I brought so much that I needed to lighten my load; it was fun. Good memories.

So Yes, I was a little concerned before I started this string. A lot has happened in Mexico over the last few years, and I have no been up on the changes, if any. I appreciate all the good points you all have been making about crime perception vs. reality. I certainly am not here to doubt any option; I appreciate them all.

This has been a helpful and respectful string. It does not always happen this way, so thanks again.

DENNIS - 9-27-2014 at 01:33 PM

Is there a beach in Compton?

woody with a view - 9-27-2014 at 01:34 PM

no D, only Biaches......

woody with a view - 9-27-2014 at 01:40 PM

one night back in the mid 80's me and Roger were driving his restored '63 VW van to El Capitan State Park (guess why?) and about 2am we get a flat on the freeway. AAA sent a tow truck and the only open tire shop around was in Watts!?!?!?!???? "OKAY, Let's do it!"

an hour later we were heading east trying to not look at the 'bangers who'd pullup alongside at each red light. two 20 year old's with boards on a VW van trying to not stick out at 3am in Watts....... jeeez!

we survived with our virtue intact and even rode some good waves!

rts551 - 9-27-2014 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Quote:

You still don't believe, do you? No, there are NO problems in Baja with tourists visiting. At least, South of Ensenada. Drug cartels are doing their trafficikng quietly, trying not to draw attention. Consumers market for drugs in Baja is marginal, so it's mostly trafficking to the North - if they are using this Baja route at all.

drugs are rampant and a real problem in Baja Sur. Way more than marginal, its am epidemic. Especially crack and meth. Most people that live there know that.

chuckie - 9-27-2014 at 02:23 PM

Really?

bajabuddha - 9-27-2014 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

as for gas...bajabuddha...if you are shorted gas...prove it...urban myth

I don't have to prove a gawddanged thing to you. You can take my word for it, or put it in your.... cupboard. I said it does happen occasionally; I've had plastic bottles filled more on the pumps than the bottle would hold, so if you're calling me a liar, fine. It is OCCASIONAL, and it ain't urban. And, I have been shorted change from dollars to pesos at the infamously honest Rosarito station too; you'll just have to believe me, or keep your insults to yourself, please.

DianaT - 9-27-2014 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

drugs are rampant and a real problem in Baja Sur. Way more than marginal, its am epidemic. Especially crack and meth. Most people that live there know that.

A very sad, but very real problem. Sometimes who is selling the drugs in a community is quite surprising.

Bob and Susan - 9-27-2014 at 03:09 PM

here's your chance...
while you are in your summer home in the USA...

measure with a plastic measuring device 5 gallons in your can
there's a device in your kitchen
(don't trust the mark on your can...that may not be correct)
and you cant trust the USA gas station either

mark the fill line with a sharpie (5 gallons)

then when you come in the winter ask for 18.93 liters of gas
see if the amount matches

it's that easy...you will sleep better
you're not getting cheated

as for being cheated when getting change...I believe it
but...
that's YOUR fault...
agree on the rate BEFORE you pump and have a calculator available to check YOUR math
don't leave till you get the correct change just like you would at a USA store

a few months ago I bought 3300 pesos diesel...
I gave the guy 3200...you should have seen his face
we counted together...I was wrong

sometimes i'm wrong
don't tell anyone

bajabuddha - 9-27-2014 at 03:10 PM

here's your chance...

Oops, my give-o-chit gas gauge just broke... too late.

Thanks for the lecture though, I feel much better now.

{my edit} and yes, the 'cheated at change' was MY fault, I admit, won't go into the particulars. Still, a rip-off is a crime, no matter who's ''FAULT'' you put it on. Point is, count your change, and with pesos there's no 'exchange rate' or need for calculator and pencil.

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by bajabuddha]

willardguy - 9-27-2014 at 03:23 PM

yup! just fill up that 5 gallon jug using a measuring cup from the kitchen, uh, 80 times from another 5 gallon jug, that'll teach ya! :lol:

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by willardguy]

DENNIS - 9-27-2014 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
A very sad, but very real problem. Sometimes who is selling the drugs in a community is quite surprising.

Ohhh...don't let the badge and gun throw you. :lol:

DianaT - 9-27-2014 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

Ohhh...don't let the badge and gun throw you. :lol:

:biggrin::biggrin: Or the look of a legitimate business. :lol::lol:

Ken Cooke - 9-27-2014 at 04:40 PM

When I do my Baja runs, I will fill my gas tank separately from my two 5 gal/18 liter gerry cans - paying to fill them one at a time to test this possibility. I will report back with my observations.

David K - 9-27-2014 at 05:32 PM

Let us know where they get 22 litres into your 19 litre (5 gal) cans.:yes::yes:

Bob and Susan - 9-27-2014 at 05:41 PM

it's 18.93...
not 18 and not 19

and you have to calibrate the can first
you cant trust the markers on the can

im interested ken
and where

Sandlefoot - 9-27-2014 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
it's 18.93...
not 18 and not 19

and you have to calibrate the can first
you cant trust the markers on the can

im interested ken
and where

And PI is:3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937

So now you can be close!!!!! (But there are more places, if you need to be really closer)

[Edited on 9-28-2014 by BajaNomad]

AKgringo - 9-27-2014 at 08:03 PM

Well as long as we are going to hold Pemex accountable for pouring an accurate liter, don't forget to factor in the expansion and contraction of gasoline due to temperature change!

travelinman - 9-27-2014 at 08:38 PM

Thank you all for your help on updating my knowledge of current security issues in Baja.

I will write another question or two soon, on other topics.

dasubergeek - 9-27-2014 at 09:32 PM

I'll chime in. I managed to somehow fit 104 litres into my 98-litre (26-gallon) tank at the Pemex in San Antonio de las Minas.

It isn't urban myth, Bob and Susan, even the gubmint keeps track. Google "lista negra de gasolineras".

chuckie - 9-28-2014 at 02:12 AM

And! It just is....Not worth getting knicker knots over, been beat to death..

bajabuddha - 9-28-2014 at 07:46 AM

Ditto, that's what I said in the first place. Don't be surprised, ain't no big thang. You'd have to check every station in Baja FFS. This topic HAS been beaten to death already, so do whatever you like.

Sorry for the fuss, travelinman... good luck on your next thread.

travelinman - 9-28-2014 at 09:42 AM

A gas rip-off story to change the pace a bit:
It was a cold and snowy day on the top of the mountain range between Ensenada and San Felipe. Due to the blanket of unusual snow I was crawling allow in our RV and trying, unsuccessfully, to miss the snow covered potholes. Due to the slow progress, we were running out of gas and I was worried.

There in the distance was a lone gas station, with no one around except a man leaning against a post. There was no gas prices listed. There was nobody in the building. the guy on the post just looked at me. It was still snowing...and the pumps were on.

At that moment in time, I did not care who I paid, what I paid, or whether they would cheat me. I paid the silent stranger what I thought the liters would be, paid him extra and hit the road.

I may have been ripped off and I am still so grateful that gas station was there! Maybe that silent man, who was waiting for a friend or bus, is still confused and remembers it, too.

I agree with many of all your thoughts, on Mexico and gas. I usually TIA(Tip in Advance), watch them pump and try to keep it honest and hope that the station hasn't messed with the gauges. Otherwise, it is not worth my BP going up. There is nothing I can do about the rest. If I knew the bad ones, I would go elsewhere next time. You experts probably know which ones, if any, have bad practices. On a normal trip, I would not have the knowledge to worry about it.

One time north of the turnoff to Bahia de Los Angeles, some enterprising locals had hauled 50 gallon drums to the location of the closed Pemex. They were hand-pumping gas into you can or rig. I was really ripped off and I still want to thank them for being there. Worth every peso. :-)

Alm - 9-28-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Yes, there are addicts and there are sellers. Bigger problem in bigger cities. In towns with population under 50K this this is mostly "their" problem, violence is rare and all that you can get is same old theft. They could break into your home during off-season, but they won't stop you on the street in daylight, and you won't see them using in back alleys - there are no back alleys in small towns. Cops are selling it, military are selling it.

It's been like this for quite a while, OP won't find too many changes after 10 years absence. Population is small, and so is the market. No comparison to mainland, or real big cities like Tijuana. Though, I wouldn't wander in the night, drunk, around non-tourist area of a more-less big town - say, anything with traffic lights.

Alm - 9-28-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
One time north of the turnoff to Bahia de Los Angeles, some enterprising locals had hauled 50 gallon drums to the location of the closed Pemex. They were hand-pumping gas into you can or rig. I was really ripped off and I still want to thank them for being there. Worth every peso. :-)

These two guys with pickup and barrels are a permanent fixture. Always there. They live in few miles down the road. They gave me a ride to BOLA a couple of times, when I was coming by bus. There are ruins of Pemex right next to them, I wonder what will happen to their business if Pemex suddenly reopens.

bigmike58 - 9-28-2014 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
... go see the girls at the last station on the right going north thru Visciano and pay with dollars!

damn...I was at THAT station on sunday...I should have paid in dollars...just to check...

I got 90 pesos green gas...bathroom break
I got 90 pesos in santa rosalia right before that...another bathroom break
....women on board
I don't think they shorted me gas

She pumped 600 peso's into my truck and then wanted 80US.... I even tried to show her using a calc and their crappy cambio, no luck so I gave her 500P plus 10US and left..

I haven't been shorted in Baja but they have made cambio "mistakes".. I try to always pay in peso's but caca happens sometimes.