BajaNomad

Cabo airport

Lengua - 9-28-2014 at 02:11 PM

Any pictures or status report of the Cabo Airport and it's re birth?

Thanks

pauldavidmena - 9-28-2014 at 03:03 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/937728526... and comments that follow should bring you up-to-date.

Bajahowodd - 9-28-2014 at 03:54 PM

Couldn't look at the facebook page, but I understand they will be open on October 8. Which just happens to be the date of the reopening of Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos. Sunset Beach won't be open until the 13th.

Reeljob - 9-28-2014 at 04:01 PM

Landed mmsl on Thursday. No problem. Airport is open an usual great service.

vjfamily - 9-28-2014 at 04:39 PM

What is a " mmsl"?

Reeljob - 9-28-2014 at 07:07 PM

Mmsl=Cabo San Lucas airport
Mmsd=San Jose del Cabo airport
Mmlt=loreto airport

Etc.

monoloco - 9-29-2014 at 09:42 AM

I was out by the San Jose Del Cabo airport a couple of days ago and the control tower was still boarded up and terminal 2 is pretty trashed.

BajaBoomerBabe - 9-29-2014 at 03:12 PM

Doesn't sound like it will be up & running by Oct. 8! Anyone have more current info on the opening?

capt. mike - 9-29-2014 at 03:38 PM

Hey Reel Job - what you fly?? Been to MMSL a lot but at SJDC they don't like us little guys, ha!! How much is 100 LL if you know, these days that is. I am not a Jet A user yet ;^)

Bajahowodd - 9-29-2014 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I was out by the San Jose Del Cabo airport a couple of days ago and the control tower was still boarded up and terminal 2 is pretty trashed.

You may be be right, but the gummint is saying the airport will be open 10/8. Maybe not using the tower, but portable equipment.

BCS needs the tourist traffic to survive.

El Jefe - 9-29-2014 at 08:16 PM

Just booked ticket for October 12 on Spirit, San Diego to Los Cabos, cheap! We shall see.....

Cliffy - 9-29-2014 at 10:43 PM

eljefe I hope you checked all the "extra" fees that Spirit has. Your "cheap" ticket may not be so cheap after all. BTW, the seats do not recline and they charge for carry on bags too.
I flew them once, never again AND I come from an airline career background.

capt. mike - 9-30-2014 at 09:13 AM

Spirit just got HORRIBLE reviews with the PHX ops. Extra fees, no leg room. Bad seats - don't know if that means anything for their foreign ops but I don't go on any airlines anymore so I can't say other than what is reported.

Gaucho - 9-30-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
eljefe I hope you checked all the "extra" fees that Spirit has. Your "cheap" ticket may not be so cheap after all. BTW, the seats do not recline and they charge for carry on bags too.
I flew them once, never again AND I come from an airline career background.

Apart from flying Volaris out of TJ, Spirit is the best deal around to Los Cabos Cliffy. Even w/the baggage fees.

Marie-Rose - 10-1-2014 at 07:36 AM

Westjet just cancelled all flights into Cabo until Oct 27th :(:(

El Jefe - 10-1-2014 at 08:25 AM

Even though I just booked it a few days ago, looks like the flight is cancelled on spirit. No flights until November.
As to flying on Spirit. Yes they do kind of suck. But you just have to play the game. Don't pick a seat. Don't carry bags, just your personal item that fits under seat. And be willing to sit with your knees wedged in for one hour and fifty minutes. For 120 bucks a leg I could stand on my head for that long. I would not fly Spirit on a long flight unless I paid their extras, at least the 18 dollar pick your seat fee. Easy for me to fly with no baggage since all my stuff is already down there. So it works for me

karenintx - 10-1-2014 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeljob
Mmlt=loreto airport

Here is a website for all Airport Codes.

http://www.world-airport-codes.com/mexico/los-cabos-internat...

IATA codes are normally three letters.

ICAO Codes are normally four letters.

SJD is Los Cabos International Airport, it is a IATA code.

MMSL is for the Cabo San Lucas and it is a ICAO code.

SJDC is really not an official airport codes but most people in the area understand what one means when using SJDC.

SJC is San Jose, California
SJO is San Jose, Costa Rica

Have fun looking up different airports!

David K - 10-1-2014 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx

Mmlt=loreto airport

Here is a website for all Airport Codes. : http://www.world-airport-codes.com/

http://www.world-airport-codes.com/mexico/los-cabos-internat... (this is for SJDC)

IATA codes are normally three letters.

ICAO Codes are normally four letters.

SJD is Los Cabos International Airport, it is a IATA code.

MMSL is for the Cabo San Lucas and it is a ICAO code.

SJDC is really not an official airport codes but most people in the area understand what one means when using SJDC.

SJC is San Jose, California
SJO is San Jose, Costa Rica

Have fun looking up different airports!

Thank you... now Capt. Mike can't use secret code on us land based travelers anymore! LOL :lol::light:

[Edited on 10-2-2014 by David K]

BajaGringo - 10-1-2014 at 07:31 PM

Just posted on our facebook group the announcement that Los Cabos airport will now reopen on October 3rd. AeroMexico is already booking flights into Cabo out of Mexico City for the 3rd. Expect for the US carriers to start adding in flights quickly...

TalkBaja on Facebook

[Edited on 10-2-2014 by BajaGringo]

Bill Collector - 10-1-2014 at 08:09 PM

We were in San Jose today, drove around the airport. Its a mess, all windows are blown out. It will be interesting if US carriers fly in

gnukid - 10-1-2014 at 09:11 PM

You don't need a terminal to land planes in Baja, Vacation On!

capt. mike - 10-2-2014 at 08:18 AM

Ha!! David I only did that to drive you nutz!!

Bajahowodd - 10-2-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
You don't need a terminal to land planes in Baja, Vacation On!

That's absolutely correct. As long as they have radar working, they will open. Many of the hotels that suffered little or minor damage are banking on the resumption of commercial flights.

BajaGringo - 10-2-2014 at 07:06 PM

I had heard that the control tower wasn't damaged. If that is true, the rest could be temporarily handled with some event style tents and trailers.