BajaNomad

Scorpions

BajaBlanca - 9-28-2014 at 03:26 PM

Whether from the heat, the humidity or just because, we seem to have more scorpions around than previous years. This was a monster one Les found on the front porch:

It is upside down and looks prehistoric.

BUT, the worst situation happened just a couple days ago when Les jumps out of bed in the middle of the night, runs into the bathroom and says I've been bitten by something!

so he comes back and sees a very small scorpion right on his side of the bed! I understand the smaller ones pack more punch - he said the pain was 8 on a scale of 10.

I have not pics of that one, it got smashed up really quickly.

[Edited on 10-1-2014 by BajaNomad]

Bajahowodd - 9-28-2014 at 03:52 PM

Nasty critters. We spent many times house boating on Lake Powell. It was incredible how many scorpions were crawling around the rocks. They never decided to navigate up our tie up lines and into the boat.

AKgringo - 9-28-2014 at 04:00 PM

Did you know that scorpions glow when exposed to an ultraviolet light? I am not sure if it would be bright enough to use a black light as a night light, but a fun fact to play with!

willardguy - 9-28-2014 at 04:01 PM

BUT, the worst situation happened just a couple days ago when Les jumps out of bed in the middle of the night, runs into the bathroom and says I've been bitten by something!

so he comes back and sees a very small scorpion right on his side of the bed! I understand the smaller ones pack more punch - he said the pain was 8 on a scale of 10.

I have not pics of that one, it got smashed up really quickly.

sooooo....where did it get him?

shari - 9-28-2014 at 04:04 PM

Here too Blanca...some monsters and little ones...which is why I sleep in a tent all summer...no worry about nasty things in my bed because that is where they really like to be! Make sure you shake out your shorts before putting them on too as I have found them in mine before.:o

chuckie - 9-28-2014 at 04:24 PM

Blanca, the biggest one I haveevr seen was on your patio! Diane said she thought it was a lobster!

ehall - 9-28-2014 at 04:26 PM

Killed this monster at work.

DENNIS - 9-28-2014 at 04:31 PM

Small brown to gray critters are common here. Had one in my shoe once and he got me. it was kinda like a bee sting.
Now....those other nasty guys above...that's a different story. they will ruin your day.

ehall - 9-28-2014 at 04:54 PM

These big ones would be like treating a stab wound.

Bob and Susan - 9-28-2014 at 04:58 PM

you should get one of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/51-UV-LED-Scorpion-Detector-Hunter-F...

$11.79usa the beasts glow in the dark with these

blacklight.jpg - 14kB

mrfatboy - 9-28-2014 at 05:02 PM

This is my scorpion collection. All drowned in the pool in the last 30 days.

TLBaja79 - 9-28-2014 at 06:00 PM

Whats the best remedy if you do get hit by one? knock on wood I have never been stung

vandenberg - 9-28-2014 at 06:01 PM

Stung twice.
Comparable to a bee sting and nothing compared to a hit by a stingray.
wimps!!

Ateo - 9-28-2014 at 06:04 PM

I think Benadryl helps if you've been stung. I don't know. Someone told my wife lavender repels them, but it never seems to work when we go to Scorpion Bay.

chuckie - 9-28-2014 at 06:26 PM

Screaming obscenities and Tequila infusion works.....

LarryK - 9-28-2014 at 07:09 PM

In July, I woke up with something on my left chest, brushed it off then realized I had been stung 3 times on my left nipple area. Looking for that sucker I got stung again on my left hand. Found him and cooked him with my Mosquito wand!

Glidergeek - 9-28-2014 at 08:19 PM

Larry is that some kinda new foreplay?:o

bajabuddha - 9-28-2014 at 09:33 PM

Treatment is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and don't let the Doctors sue me for writing this, i'm really not trying to KILL ANYONE. You can put topical Benadryl gel on the sting, take 25 to 50 mg's (one to two capsules) orally, and have a good nap too. Over the counter pain meds for the pain, or your favorite prescription too. Also if you have it, Sleep-Eaze, Sominex, any over-the-counter sleep meds are nothing more than 50 mg. diphenhydramine (generic). Or, any generic antihistamines; the 'poison' in the sting is a histamine, so..... anti the sucker. Chlortrimeton (sp?) is another old-time effective generic.

IF-- after being whacked, you're having trouble breathing or swallowing, GET TO A MED FACILITY IMMEDIATELY, you're allergic. Don't try driving yourself.

They're ugly, but no more than a bee/wasp sting depending on where you're whacked and how they sting you. I've played with them with welders' gloves, and they not only bip-whack, but if 'threatened' they'll drill with their stinger too. Kewl kreachers, I think.... but I still moosh 'em.

LarryK - 9-28-2014 at 09:50 PM

Hey Budda this is redlarry. I packed ice on all the spots, took away the pain, but was sore to the touch for 24 hrs.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Treatment is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and don't let the Doctors sue me for writing this, i'm really not trying to KILL ANYONE. You can put topical Benadryl gel on the sting, take 25 to 50 mg's (one to two capsules) orally, and have a good nap too. Over the counter pain meds for the pain, or your favorite prescription too. Also if you have it, Sleep-Eaze, Sominex, any over-the-counter sleep meds are nothing more than 50 mg. diphenhydramine (generic). Or, any generic antihistamines; the 'poison' in the sting is a histamine, so..... anti the sucker. Chlortrimeton (sp?) is another old-time effective generic.

IF-- after being whacked, you're having trouble breathing or swallowing, GET TO A MED FACILITY IMMEDIATELY, you're allergic. Don't try driving yourself.

They're ugly, but no more than a bee/wasp sting depending on where you're whacked and how they sting you. I've played with them with welders' gloves, and they not only bip-whack, but if 'threatened' they'll drill with their stinger too. Kewl kreachers, I think.... but I still moosh 'em.

Whale-ista - 9-28-2014 at 10:06 PM

Yowch! So sorry to hear about the stings Blanca.

So strange that they've come out all at once. I don't remember seeing even one when I was there in June.

Hope they disappear as quickly as they appeared and you have no more stings.

grace59 - 9-29-2014 at 05:43 AM

I've noticed a lot more over the last two years in San Felipe. I am wondering if it is because we've had more rain than usual which brings plant growth, more bugs etc. Some really big suckers, too! Found a very large, very irritated one on my patio this summer after some torrential rain fall....also found a couple of smaller ones on my pillow this summer, too! <<<Shiver>>> I keep a black light flashlight on each of our night stands in case one of us needs to use the bath room in the middle of the night. I've never been stung....hope I never am, but I keep Benadryl and some Tea Tree Oil at the house just in case.

Pets? Anyone have them in terrariums?

El Vergel - 9-29-2014 at 07:00 AM

Fried? Can they be eaten?

Pregnant? Or just fat?

Seems like they are prevalent in abundance!

Best to all, stay safe!

bajabuddha - 9-29-2014 at 08:56 AM

As they dwell 'under' things, rain will flush 'em out (along with tarantulas, centipedes, millipedes, etc....) and in the heat of summer they especially LOVE the coolness of palapa roof/ceilings, in between cement blocks, and palm trees, especially if not smooth-shaven. Cold blooded, you'll see them more actively at night in the warmer months. And, always a good idea to 'clap'-out your shoes and clothing in the mornings. They will truly be one of the meek who inherit the earth.

And eaten? Don't you ever watch Andrew Zimmern and 'Bizarre Foods'? Very popular in Asia, lightly dusted and fried (stinger's clipped). I hear they taste like chicken.

bajabuddha - 9-29-2014 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryK
Hey Budda this is redlarry. I packed ice on all the spots, took away the pain, but was sore to the touch for 24 hrs.

So you had to leave the nipples out of the process for 24 hours, eh? That's 'tough ta ta'! (although..... did it swell?) :lol:

willardguy - 9-29-2014 at 09:44 AM

then again you live there, what do have to lose?:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it3UsKeKGto

Scorpies!

EdZeranski - 9-29-2014 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Nasty critters. We spent many times house boating on Lake Powell. ....

We saw them, scorpions, at Powell also as well as Tarantulas. At one anchorage at Oak Bay they were pretty thick. Our place in Borrego Springs has the large Mexican wood scorpions. We do have a black light we use for room sweeps if we've been away for a while.

EdZ

EdZeranski - 9-29-2014 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Small brown to gray critters are common here. Had one in my shoe once and he got me. it was kinda like a bee sting.
Now....those other nasty guys above...that's a different story. they will ruin your day.

Have you ever tried "After Bite" on scorpion stings??

EdZ

bajalearner - 9-29-2014 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TLBaja79
Whats the best remedy if you do get hit by one? knock on wood I have never been stung

I find comfort by squashing it with my shoe but that's only temporary.:yawn::rolleyes::?:

BooJumMan - 9-29-2014 at 12:20 PM

Most of those seen in this thread are Hadrurus arizonensis... Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion. I have one as a pet. The one above in the thread might be pregnant. They gestate for over a year. The stings with these are about as painful as a bee sting.

Here is mine. The UV light from the camera flash gives it a green tinge.

What she looks like with a black light ...

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by BooJumMan]

woody with a view - 9-29-2014 at 12:22 PM

nice piece of seaweed!

mulegemichael - 9-29-2014 at 03:12 PM

and yes, lavender essential oil does repel them, as with all insects...they just don't like the smell....we do... www.purplehazelavender.com ..

bajabuddha - 9-29-2014 at 03:32 PM

wow..... i'm still into patchouli, man..... :cool:

shari - 9-29-2014 at 04:43 PM

dang it, I'm all out of Lavender body splash...hint hint!

the tarantulas come out a few days before the rain...usually a good indication we are going to get rain. Juan gets stung all the time working with rock...and he says it's less than a bee sting...ants bites are the mother fuggers!!! and last for days.

BajaBlanca - 9-29-2014 at 07:16 PM

now I want a black lite.

that collection of scorps that drowned in the pool is incredible!

Nancy Drew - 9-29-2014 at 08:44 PM

the life cycle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHmBBvJssdY

bajabuddha - 9-29-2014 at 09:39 PM

I just ordered the blacklite off ebay from susan and what'sis'name's first post.

Ants, especially the black harvesters, are the worst. Been bit by most colors, most sizes of ants from 3 continents, including Ambush Ants (oh my allah). According to an eminent college professor who goes around stinging himself from every 'bug' possible to make his own 'worst stings' list (from NAU, of course... Flag Hag) the Tarantula Wasp is King of Owwies....

Then again, EMS in 4 corners, did black widows, buzzworms, and the effects of the HORRIBLE BITE OF A COLLARED LIZARD ON A 7-YEAR-OLD, and boy, can the stories fly........ ( the lizard was horribly dispatched, the kid was FINE).

(p.s. : don't mention this to any medical professionals..... ;):coolup:

bajabuddha - 9-29-2014 at 09:53 PM

ADDENDUM: POOR HERMAN....

We have had several scorpions dispatched in our home here in southern NM. This whole spring and summer we had HERMAN, our pet Tarantula, living in our parking area in a burrow. I got a few pics, had requests for it, and here's the best I could get:

His burrow was cool; all the excavation was blended in with the surrounding terra, and you couldn't tell where he put all the 'diggings'. Unfortunately, about 3 weeks ago, his hole was GONE. Previously, every day was gossamer-covered, and he/she would emerge after dark (in the pic) . One day, the hole was not only covered in, but just as inconspicuously covered as the 'diggings' were scattered about.

We waited 4-6 days, and excavated. The hole went down a whole FOOT! Angled to the side, down another 20+- degrees to an antechamber, and it was bedded with a BUNCH of carpet fibers from my neighbor's yard (whole n'uther story). No spider, no remnants, no corpse with Tarantula Hawk's egg or larva on it... but a FUN DIG. Kewl Beans, Bonzo! And all this right next to a Datura plant; I think Herman got beamed up by Don Juan.

Cliffy - 9-29-2014 at 10:20 PM

Some bats eat scorpions
They go "crunch" when stepped on with boots :-)

Chupacabra - 9-30-2014 at 05:24 PM

I got stung on the finger by a scorpion about three weeks ago. It was a little guy and really only hurt like a bee sting for about 20 min. But the finger tingled for a couple days.

CatCrazyJulie - 9-30-2014 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy

Er, excuse me, but where in Baja are you/your pool?!?! Yikes!

Although I imagine scorpions are fairly well-distributed throughout Baja...last year in Cabo Pulmo, when we camped out for the first time on our lot in the pygmy forest in the uplands. And discovered that anything left outside rather quickly became "habitat" to walking sticks, huge hairy huntsman spiders, and to scorpions, among other critters.

My husband is allergic to bee stings, so we carry epipens; not sure what this bodes re his potential reaction to scorpion stings, but he tends to have more intense than usual reactions to any insect bite, e.g., mosquito bites become big welts.

Screened areas are definitely a survival tactic.

bajabuddha - 9-30-2014 at 10:59 PM

You ain't kiddin', gal. Epi-pens are a must if you have any major allergic reactions to any kinds of stings. My first year in Baja some time ago, at La Ribera the Saturday night campfire was to watch at least one alacran per log do the suicidal fire-leap; more there than any I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. Not only keep the Epi handy, but anyone who has one, TEACH EVERYONE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT. Que no?
;)

Bob and Susan - 10-1-2014 at 05:55 AM

they don't sell "epi-pens" here...bring it with you

they aren't in "the book"

BajaBlanca - 10-1-2014 at 07:16 AM

stories and more stories coming to light: this past weekend someone told me that his wife got bit by scorpion on her foot and her tongue went numb.

David K - 10-1-2014 at 08:33 AM

As always, I suggest every Baja traveler keep a bottle of Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) in their rig for any and all skin injury/ insect sting or bite... sunburn, cactus, etc.

It was a great aid to my kids in Baja and here when they got stung by bees and wasps... the tea tree oil neutralizes venom. It belongs in every first aid kit or glove box... You can purchase a 1 oz bottle at Natural Food type stores (Sprouts, Henry's, Boney's, Frazier Farms, etc.) and you may see it in other retail outlets. Look for the 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil, from Australia.

An American company (Melaleuca Inc.) markets it and products made with it, as well... at a higher price. They have a good first aid ointment called MelaGel with the tea tree oil in it, for easy application and the gel keeps it on the wound.

bajabuddha - 10-1-2014 at 03:30 PM

SPEAKING OF NASTY CRITTERS: HERE'S A WHOPPER!

Biggest one I ever caught.....:rolleyes: baited with dehydrated water powder. :smug:

chuckie - 10-1-2014 at 03:37 PM

swat I uz

BajaBlanca - 10-1-2014 at 07:43 PM

nasty critter that one!

El Vergel - 10-1-2014 at 11:10 PM

I agree. Topical ointments rule. I do respect them in admiration as pets. I may eat one, but not one with a brood of 12 on its back.

Naturally, what eats scorpions? Lizards, birds, giant spiders? What can be done to repel them especially from the living environment?

David K - 10-1-2014 at 11:40 PM

I liked watching meerkats eating scorpions!

[Edited on 10-2-2014 by David K]

bajabuddha - 10-2-2014 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
you should get one of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/51-UV-LED-Scorpion-Detector-Hunter-F...

$11.79usa the beasts glow in the dark with these

Just got mine delivered today. Played with it, TOO MUCH FUN! Didn't discover any live scorp's, but I have a corpse of one at least 4-5 years old and still GLOWS! Took a walk around the yard at dark-ish, and have lots of rocks from local Mississipian (and pre-) times, and man, kewl beans, bonzo! Much glowing from 300M y.o. stuff... not only that, but some carpet fiber left over from our now-passed-on-pet-tarantula glowed bigtime, and spider webs don't; quien sabes? One last thing for you black-light fans, after dark, go in the bathroom, shine it into your mouth and (if you still have any) look at the difference between crowns, partials, and naturals. It's straight out of a Zombie film (started out by talking about smoking stains. Nothing kinky.)

BajaBlanca - 10-3-2014 at 04:08 AM

so they carry the babes...no like at all.

micah202 - 10-3-2014 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I liked watching meerkats eating scorpions!

......hmmm,,,I hope those guys are eiother friendly or timid to humans.....or I wouldn't want to see that gang outside my tent! :wow::O:fire:

...once saw a Babboon as friendly as those critters -seem- to be,,,but turned it's tune rather fast!! :o:no:

[Edited on 10-3-2014 by micah202]

bajabuddha - 10-3-2014 at 09:18 AM

... looks like the cats (sp. pun intentional) of the Sopranos....:biggrin:

vandenberg - 10-3-2014 at 09:59 AM

My kitty takes any scorpion and probably gives greengoes's Sol a run for his money.:P:biggrin:

my kitty (Copy) (Copy) (Copy) (Copy).jpg - 48kB

mrfatboy - 10-3-2014 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CatCrazyJulie
Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy

Er, excuse me, but where in Baja are you/your pool?!?! Yikes!

Although I imagine scorpions are fairly well-distributed throughout Baja...last year in Cabo Pulmo, when we camped out for the first time on our lot in the pygmy forest in the uplands. And discovered that anything left outside rather quickly became "habitat" to walking sticks, huge hairy huntsman spiders, and to scorpions, among other critters.

My husband is allergic to bee stings, so we carry epipens; not sure what this bodes re his potential reaction to scorpion stings, but he tends to have more intense than usual reactions to any insect bite, e.g., mosquito bites become big welts.

Screened areas are definitely a survival tactic.

LoL. Sorry that's my pool in San Diego. Baja Norte. ;)

alacran - 10-7-2014 at 11:24 AM

I try to avoid killing an alactran, had them as pets in a jar (with small holes for air) throw in a fly and watch the show...

Skipjack Joe - 10-7-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
stories and more stories coming to light: this past weekend someone told me that his wife got bit by scorpion on her foot and her tongue went numb.

There is a positive side to this story.

bajabuddha - 10-7-2014 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

There is a positive side to this story.

A little peace and quiet at the ol' casa, eh? :lol:

BajaBlanca - 10-7-2014 at 04:57 PM

Oh my gosh! That was a funny comeback Skipjack!