BajaNomad

Road through El Arco?

DosMars - 9-29-2014 at 06:02 AM

Planning a trip south to PTA Eugenia then across through El Arco to PTA San Francisquito and back through Bay of L.A. the end of October. Any word on storm damage through El Arco?

From an earlier post it sounds like the road back into BOLA is rough but passable?

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by DosMars]

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by DosMars]

shari - 9-29-2014 at 06:25 AM

I havent been on that road after the storm but this area was hit REALLY hard with flooding...worst flooding ever experienced according to locals between the ejido Benito Juarez and vizcaino was a real mess but no doubt the ranchers and el Arco folks must have the road passable anyway by now but I am sure there were serious washouts. Let us know how it is.

DosMars - 9-29-2014 at 07:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up Shari. I'm banking on bypasses for the worst spots by the time we make it down there and figure 4wd will get us through anything that's passable. Just wondering if there's anything major like a bridge out that will put certain routs off line for the forseable future. I don't mind a detour if it will take me through some unexplored country, just want to plan ahead ;)

David K - 9-29-2014 at 10:03 AM

There is also the Guillermo Prieto road, an excellent alternative to going through El Arco and puts you closer to see Mission Santa Gertrudis (founded in 1752) and that oaisis!

Here are some mileage notes on area roads I traveled two years ago, on the Almanac maps of the area:

Photos and more in my 2012 trip report (link in my sig)...

Archie - 9-29-2014 at 10:39 AM

Last tuesday 23rd, 3 pickups from the Islas del Golfo reserve made it from GN to El Barril, no problems at all. they used the road from Hwy 1 just passing the Benito Juarez.

The same day a convoy from Baja Strong arrived from Bahia with lots of goods for the town folks, they reported some muddy stretches and lots of washouts on the arroyos that cross the road. They sure put those raptors and chasers to work.

About the "Camino Nacional" that goes from Jesus Marķa to El Arco, i“ve heard theres a difficult pass at the Arroyo San Luis and some other smaller crossings near el arco.