BajaNomad

FISHING GONZAGA BAY

zerogame - 9-29-2014 at 12:18 PM

A buddy and I are planning a trip to Gonzaga Bay, and we are hauling a 16ft aluminum boat to go fishing in the area for a week or two. I assume Alfonsinas is the only hotel, how do I make reservations. Is there a boat launch? Looking for advice, the last time I was in Baja was 30 years ago and spent most of my time further south.
Thanks,
Terry

woody with a view - 9-29-2014 at 12:19 PM

use the search function above for contact info. there is a sand ramp.

dizzyspots - 9-29-2014 at 02:12 PM

whoa big difference after 30 years zero.....great road from US to San Felipe...good road with lots of vados from SF to Puertecitos...then NEW great paved road to GB...Alfonsinas is THE only hotel, but great palapa camping, minit market and sometimes Pemex...good sand ramp on the estuary behind Alfies...we launch our 20 ft Wellcraft there every trip...just gotta watch the tide

When are ya going?

www.bdoutdoors.com under mexico fishing reports Baja fishing lots of info...

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by dizzyspots]

zerogame - 9-29-2014 at 02:29 PM

I think we might try to get down the second or third week of October. Ya, last time down I spent two winters down in Cabo with my ski/fishing boat. Went out just one time, caught two Marlin in about one hour, and never took the boat out again. It took me 30 years to finally get excited about fishing, now can't wait.
Can you recommend where to go and what to use for lures. I mostly fish for trout, walleye, and salmon up here on the Columbia.

ehall - 9-29-2014 at 03:01 PM

alfonsinas@hotmail.com to make reservations

steve5555 - 9-29-2014 at 08:29 PM

The book, "the baja catch" is the bible for baja fishing. His bottom line is trolling 4 inch rapallas along the shore. But he gives a huge amount of great info about each spot. More than just fishing info. I was surprised to see it so expensive on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Baja-Catch-Fishing-Camping-California/...

steve5555 - 9-29-2014 at 08:32 PM

If you get in a pinch, I could text you the few pages on Gonzaga bay. I think just about any fisherman would enjoy reading the book- section by section.

stevewhiteside619@gmail.com

willardguy - 9-29-2014 at 08:46 PM

yup,its true! Gene claims to have caught and released over 10,000 fish, over a hundred species snagging reef fish dragging a rebel fast-trac (or something like that), what fun! ;)

[Edited on 9-30-2014 by willardguy]

ehall - 9-29-2014 at 09:25 PM

Thanks for the tip on the book. I just ordered one for 11 bucks off the internet

redhilltown - 9-29-2014 at 11:59 PM

Yes...they are rebel fasttracs that the Baja Catch recommends and not rapalas...though both can do the job obviously. The thing about the fastracs is that they just inhale the fish depending on the size...dont even think about using a net or there goes another ten minutes getting the fastrac out of the net and then the fastrac out of the fish...I guess you can clip off maybe the middle hook or the last one. The only real launch is at Papa Fernandez to the north of Gonzaga Bay proper. For your size boat it it is fine. Just go thru the rope gate and talk to the family in the house on the left. If you decide to camp you can be on their land up and over the hill on the beach and still be close to your boat. Trolling close to shore is definitely the best bet and off of Isla San Luis. Sierra should still be around. Bring some squid and dropped down just about anywhere with a small hook is a tasty Trigger dinner is awaiting. Have fun and report back! (and with the rains the bugs may be epic! bring your favorite repellent.)

dizzyspots - 9-30-2014 at 06:47 AM

well be down there from Oct 9 thru 15 for the 5th annual tin boat regatta...on the Rancho Grande side (south of the runway)...look for the orange flags...welcome back...

bajaboy1 - 9-30-2014 at 08:53 AM

I have been trying to get down to Gonzaga Bay also for the last week. Loaded up ready to go but keep getting delayed on a daily basis. I've never been there, I've been to Puertocitos a few times but not since 1968. I imagine things have changed. Was wondering if the tide goes out like it does further north. Is it possible to anchor a tin boat off shore at night or do have to pull it out every night and just work with the tides. Don't know where we'll camp yet, thought we'll figure that out when we get there. Also, does the gas station always have gas?

TMW - 9-30-2014 at 09:35 AM

I've done several trips this this year thru there and there was always gas. But they have been known to be out, usually on long weekends when lots of people going thru. There is also a PEMEX in Puertecitos. They had gas in July. Some say you have to look for the attendand, he doesn't alway come out when you pull in.

dizzyspots - 9-30-2014 at 10:15 AM

rumors from a friend who is at GB now...Pemex EXPECTING gas today...also rumors that the GB Pemex may close???

dizzyspots - 9-30-2014 at 10:18 AM

@bajaboy...when we had a tin boat...we anchored it off shore with a stern line to another beach anchor...big tide swings on the full and new moon but nothing like san felipe..if it got windy we just pulled it up on the beach...now we have access to a mooring, so we can tie of the bigger boat...

bajaboy1 - 9-30-2014 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the help. Didn't know about the Pemex in Puertocitos. I normally carry extra empty gas cans and fill them when I get close to my destination if I know there is no gas there. As for anchoring, I do run a line to the beach. Just didn't want to get up in the morning to head out on the water and find the boat high and dry and the water a half mile away. Hope to head down tomorrow for about 10 days or so.

zerogame - 9-30-2014 at 02:07 PM

Wow, great response folks. I emailed the hotel and received a positive response, taking a tent just in case. Both my friend and I have spent to much time in tents, hope to miss that adventure. My buddy was the Colville Forest, fire management officer, for too many years to look forward to tenting.
Should I leave my bow-mount Minn-Kota at home, seems like to much wind and current?

zerogame - 9-30-2014 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
well be down there from Oct 9 thru 15 for the 5th annual tin boat regatta...on the Rancho Grande side (south of the runway)...look for the orange flags...welcome back...

Can you tell me more about the tin-boat regatta?

zerogame - 9-30-2014 at 02:52 PM

I always liked Mulege', and thought about going down there for a couple days after Gonzaga. Any suggestions where I haven't been (Mulege to border on the inside) that you guys might suggest?
I will be bringing down some Gonzaga University basketball stuff to give out, many kids around there? I mostly have adult stuff now, but could get smaller sizes.

willardguy - 9-30-2014 at 03:00 PM

not many youngsters, the few there are get packed up and sent to san felipe for school

zerogame - 9-30-2014 at 04:41 PM

Thanks

zerogame - 9-30-2014 at 04:43 PM

Set my dates, at least I hope. Leave Colville, WA on the 10th, and arrive at Gonzaga on the 15th. Plan for a week there and then some other local for a couple of days. Thanks for all the help.:tumble:

zerogame - 10-2-2014 at 10:13 AM

Family illness requires my attention, so have to delay trip. Victor at Alfonsinas was very responsive. I understand you can only reserve rooms on the internet. Here is the email address Alfonsinas@hotmail.com