BajaNomad

9th Annual BajaNomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive

fdt - 10-14-2014 at 05:30 PM

One more time!!! Now on the 9th edition. This year we are starting early in order to avoid all those last minute gifts that arrive and the hassles of smuggling all those toys, specially since we don't have a car at this time (the transmission died on the van and I don't know when I'll be able to fix it anytime soon).
The Toy Drive will be on January 11th, that gives us about 3 months to get all the donations in and hopefully early. We're getting really close to a decade of bringing toys to the less fortunate kids of Baja California that, if not for your help, would not be receiving gifts for Christmas or Dia de Reyes.

Here are links to the past toy drives:

1st Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21378#pid1972...

2nd Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28406#pid2889...

3rd Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35415#pid3822...

4th Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42767#pid4774...

5th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49503

6th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56714#pid6862...

7th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64381#pid7854...

8th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70559#pid8766...

Last years event was held south of Tecate in an isolated community called Colonia Hindu at Cerro Azul. I don't have a location or a number of kids for this coming event yet but I will be updating information constantly. Once again I invite you all to join us as we deliver toys to the children of Baja California. We always make it a very fun and memorable day.

Same as in past years, our good friends at BajaBound Insurance Services / Toy Store are allowing us to use their offices as a drop off location for all donations.
Their information is:
Toy Drive c/o Baja Bound Insurance Services, Inc.
750 11th Avenue #101
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

Also if you are in the Rosarito area and want to donate, the drop of location there is Cindy's Mexican Insurance, they are conveniently located on the main Blvd, at the Rosarito Beach Hotel Shopping Center
Blvd Benito Juarez #31, Suite 9
Phone (661) 612-2641

If you would like to donate toys or food but do not know what to get or can not send it, there is a Paypal account, fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

We have a head start for this event because of our secret santa he sent a shipment of 100 soccer balls last minute for last years event and we could only smuggle a few in time for last years toy drive so this is very good.

Thank you so so much in advance for making the 9th Annual Dia de Reyes toy drive possible.

Saludos y gracias,

Fernando Garcia y familia

[Edited on 10-15-2014 by BajaNomad]

DENNIS - 10-14-2014 at 06:38 PM

Ohh Boy....let's go for it. Best ever.

Ferna....if I can be of any help in this area, let me know.

[Edited on 10-15-2014 by DENNIS]

woody with a view - 10-14-2014 at 07:34 PM

You are the man Ferna!

Mas Olas is in again....

BajaNomad - 10-14-2014 at 08:14 PM

https://www.facebook.com/DiaDeReyesToyDrive

fdt - 10-15-2014 at 10:51 AM

Thank you Dennis, Woody and Doug, with this much time it will certainly be a huge success.

sd - 10-15-2014 at 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear about the transmission Fernando. Hope you and the kids are doing well. I always look forward to this event and seeing everyone, and great that we get an early start.

I hope many Nomads join us this year to deliver the toys and bikes, it has always been a very positive experience, the kids are thrilled. Easy to park on the US side, and the bus takes us right to the Tijuana bus terminal where we all meet and depart from. Last year my daughter Sara came from Colorado to join us. We had some great street tacos in Tijuana before we departed for the Orphanage.

To save some time, you can order online and have your items shipped directly to Baja Bound Insurance.

Thanks to everyone!

Scot

CaboMagic - 10-28-2014 at 09:34 AM

Ferna and Family - we are proud to be in again as well .. I've posted your flyer on our Facebook page, and will re-post from time to time.

What is your paypal account please for those that wish to donate dinero?

Every best wish, T&L

woody with a view - 10-28-2014 at 11:55 AM

Paypal account, fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

fdt - 10-29-2014 at 07:33 AM

Thank you so much Cabo Magic.

fdt - 10-30-2014 at 09:47 AM

Hi all Nomads;
We need toys, dolls, toy trains and trucks, all kinds of sport balls, bicycles, stuffed animals, hot wheels ......
The main reason for starting the request for donations is to start receiving toys early, remember, we have to smuggle them across the border. We already know that there is no way to cross them all at one time. It probably could be done but this would entail most likely to involve some special interest group or politician that would profit from the giving of the toys for their own personal gain, be it image or whatever and this is not what the Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive is about.
There is a Paypal account available but at this point it's not about that. What cash / Paypal donations have done in the past is help us pay for the food, transportation and other factors that always happen but, that is usually close to the date of the event. Like buying more gift wrap, buying toys we did not get, paying for food for the kids and staff, diesel, drivers an so many other things that always happen.
To answer the question, the PayPal acct is: fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com
To greatly help us at this time is by sending or dropping off your toy donations to either BajaBound or Cindy's.
I must confess, after doing this for nine consecutive years, it is of great satisfaction to my family and myself every year, at the end of the event, when everyone has gone home, when all gifts have been given away, when all is quiet and we're back home, that we have at least a dozen tamales left over for our breakfast.
Saludos, gracias and please start sending those toys,

BajaBlanca - 10-30-2014 at 11:47 AM

yes! I will drop off donations when we are in san diego for xmas! I am so glad you are starting early!

fdt - 10-31-2014 at 01:04 AM

Great, thank you Blanca.

CaboMagic - 10-31-2014 at 08:07 AM

thanks Woody .. I think its good to have it separately listed for those of us who don't have / don't take the time to read Ferna's entire post.

Ferna - we sent you $ this year early so you can put it to use where/when you deem needed. Your email confused me a little - if you don't want to spend it too early, then leave it in paypal and withdraw when you need it ..

Proud to be a contributor to your cause. Keep up the good/hard work! Lori

wilderone - 12-8-2014 at 06:02 PM

Bump -
How are the plans coming along? Do you know how many children for this year's party?

woody with a view - 12-8-2014 at 06:28 PM

check paypal.

fdt - 12-9-2014 at 02:34 PM

Thank you Woody

fdt - 12-9-2014 at 02:51 PM

The date of the toy drive is still January 11th and as of this time we have 130 confirmed children. Also as of today we have received 0 (zero) toys, I guess starting early doesn't help, oh well, lets start again now.
Blanca sent some toys but we are yet to pick them up at the address she gave me, this year without a car it gets more complicated but we'll figure it out. What we request is that you send toys to Bajabound in San Diego and that makes it a lot easier for us since it's centrally located.
We have received 2 paypal donations, one for 23 dollars and another for 100 but that is all we have.
We need a lot of help, please, start sending toys, please.
Also, if some of you can help by bringing toys down for us from Bajabound to Tijuana, we would greatly appreciate it, in past years Jen Hill has helped us a lot with that but we would like for more of you to be involved. There are only 33 days left and we need to get a lot of toys, not counting the transportation and food for the event.
It's our 9th year, one more and it will be a full decade of bringing Baja Nomad toys to some of the most needy children.
We would love to have more children receiving toys, maybe put a cap of 400 on it but were we stand right now we aren't even a the 1 dollar per child mark.
I know that there have been a number of requests for donations, from making a documentary to ambulance services. We're not asking for much, maybe just a Barbie doll or a toy truck for each child and we don't ask all year, just one time a year.
Lets do it!!!
Gracias

woody with a view - 12-9-2014 at 03:33 PM

C'mon Folks,

if you enjoy this site, and all of the information you get from it a $10 donation the Toy Drive doesn't seem like too much to ask!

although this isn't a pressure tactic, just think how much some kid you will never meet might be impressed by your generosity!

in the past Toy-R-Us had a gift card that the info could be U2U'd to Ferna and he could buy toys in TJ so that was another painless option. I'm not sure if that is still an option?

sd - 12-9-2014 at 04:05 PM

I will be dropping off some toys at BajaBound Wednesday 12/10/14.

It is always great to see the support Baja Nomads give to this event!

Fernando, looking forward to seeing you and the family.

Scot

fdt - 12-9-2014 at 05:08 PM

thank you Scot and hopefully you can join us again this year :yes:

sd - 12-9-2014 at 06:05 PM

I plan to be there. Sara has to stay in Denver to shovel snow! She sends her regards and loves what you and others do to make this happen.

fdt - 12-10-2014 at 11:59 AM

Toys, toys, toys, we need toys.

sd - 12-10-2014 at 12:42 PM

I just dropped off toys with Geoff at Baja Bound Insurance.

Always such a fun experience!

Scot

BajaGeoff - 12-10-2014 at 01:32 PM

Thanks Scot! Great to see you!

BajaBlanca - 12-10-2014 at 01:41 PM

Give me 10 days and I will be there at Baja Bound too!

BajaGeoff - 12-10-2014 at 04:43 PM

Sounds great Blanca! Are you planning on coming Friday the 19th?

fdt - 12-10-2014 at 09:46 PM

Thank you sd !
Thank you Blanca !
And thank you so so much Bajabound for putting up with us again this year!!!

BajaGeoff - 12-12-2014 at 06:08 PM

Happy to help Ferna!

Another delivery by wilderone today.

¡Muchisimas gracias!

fdt - 12-13-2014 at 06:11 AM

Great!!! Thank you!!! A lot more needed.

fdt - 12-13-2014 at 07:32 PM

Now is a really good time to send those toys we need, so please, feel free and be as generous as you can.

fdt - 12-15-2014 at 09:45 AM

Ok, I'll try again since nothing happened.

Start sending gifts NOW!!! Please:yes:

David K - 12-15-2014 at 11:25 AM

Ferna, how was the issue of getting toys across the border resolved? Wasn't it last year your van was confiscated full of toys? You went through so much... it should never happen to you when you are Santa Claus!

BajaGeoff - 12-15-2014 at 02:00 PM

We just got confirmation that "Secret Santa" has a large shipment of toys headed to the Baja Bound office!

¡Muchisimas Gracias!

fdt - 12-17-2014 at 04:02 PM

Thank you Secret Santa!!!

fdt - 12-17-2014 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ferna, how was the issue of getting toys across the border resolved? Wasn't it last year your van was confiscated full of toys? You went through so much... it should never happen to you when you are Santa Claus!

The issue was never resolved and in the future it will probably not be. Not just the van was confiscated but also the 400 soccer balls. The fine paid was almost $1,000 dollars (yes, US dollars)and I say almost because I showed up with $1,000.00 dollars in cash and got $10.00 (yes, ten) pesos change. Oh, and they kept the soccer balls.
If I was to request help from a group or government or anything like that, this would lose the essence of the original intention, which is Baja Nomads giving toys and meals to less fortunate kids in Baja California for Dia de Reyes.
Unfortunately officials with the power to allow or have ways to bring all the toys down in one shot, always want to have the spotlight, they want to own the microphone and of course say that "Thanks to their help" or "Thanks to the intervention of...." it was all made possible.
We are better off just smuggling toys as we have always done, slowly, 5 or 10 at a time and it always works out.
Dear friend David, please don't ask this again (I say again because you always ask the same type of question, each year). Please just concentrate on the kids and the toys. Bring your donations down to BajaBound ASAP, ask your wife to tell her coworkers, tell your neighbors,"We need toys".
Thank you DK for sending toys and donations, all other opinions,ideas or thoughts on this subject, can be discussed any time after january 11.
Saludos
Fernando

BajaBlanca - 12-17-2014 at 07:21 PM

thinking positive! if we all take a little at a time, we should be fine!

fdt - 12-18-2014 at 11:22 AM

Thank you

BajaGeoff - 12-18-2014 at 12:15 PM

Secret Santa delivery came yesterday! The office is starting to look like a toy store...but we still need more toys!

fdt - 12-19-2014 at 04:14 AM

Yes, we need a lot more toys.

woody with a view - 12-19-2014 at 06:23 AM

c'mon folks, make a kid smile!

fdt - 12-20-2014 at 07:21 AM

Hurry!!! Only 3 weeks left

Santiago - 12-20-2014 at 07:43 AM

Flowers: just sent you some funds via PayPal. SWMBO and I are really going to try to be there this year. Keep up the good work.
Jim

fdt - 12-20-2014 at 02:47 PM

Thank you Santiago
Tu amigo, Flowers

fdt - 12-22-2014 at 06:06 PM

Please, send your donations now.

BajaNomad - 12-23-2014 at 04:18 AM

https://www.facebook.com/DiaDeReyesToyDrive

fdt - 12-23-2014 at 10:21 AM

We also need a lot of wrapping paper and tape, if anyone has extra after the holiday, please feel free to send it.

David K - 12-23-2014 at 10:25 AM

Thanks for that link Doug!

fdt - 12-23-2014 at 12:39 PM

Now just send some toys over, please, please, please.

fdt - 12-25-2014 at 07:19 PM

We hope you all had a great Christmas celebration. Were there any toys left over? Unwanted? Not the right size? Well, instead of returning them to the store, just send them to Bajabound and we will make sure that they go to those less fortunate kids on January 11th.
After all your presents got wrapped, did you end up with extra wrapping paper? extra tape? Send that down as well.

Now, if you want to help and don't have extra toys, wrapping paper or just don't know what to get to send to bajabound, you can now do a donation via Paypal to fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

If you are in the Rosarito area, you can drop off your donations at Cindys Mexican Insurance right by the Rosarito Beach Hotel. All of this drop off locations info is on the first post of this thread.

Yet another way to donate is sending a ToysRUs egift card http://www.toysrus.com/eGiftcard/index.jsp
and we go and pick out toys on your behalf, or wrapping paper or tape,.

Thank you and Feliz Navidad

fdt - 12-27-2014 at 07:32 AM

Only 2 weeks left, hurry! Please.

MMc - 12-27-2014 at 10:45 AM

fdt, Thank you for all you do, the world is a better place because of you.

BajaBlanca - 12-27-2014 at 10:47 AM

And we just dropped off a load in Tijuana for you FDT, it is waiting in Dr. Alan's office

Here is the loot!

BajaBlanca - 12-27-2014 at 10:50 AM

And here are the gorgeous guardians!

May your event be a huge success! Wish we could be here to join in the fun.

[Edited on 12-28-2014 by BajaBlanca]

fdt - 12-27-2014 at 02:58 PM

Thank you Blanca, that really helps us a lot. Actually the hardest part of all is getting the toys across the border.
Muchas gracias

CaboMagic - 12-27-2014 at 03:12 PM

Ferna a package will arrive Monday at Geoff's Bajabound Insurance ..

As always a big hurrah for what you, your family and elves do ..

Blanca sorry it couldn't get there in time for you to 'schlep' across!

BajaBlanca - 12-27-2014 at 06:34 PM

The return from Tj took 20 minutes. I am quite sure we have never done it that fast.

If anyone can go to Tj, I can give you the address of Doc Angel who can store the gifts. He is so easy to get to because he is on the first block of Calle Tercera, which is the street the downtown exit (CENTRO) leads into.

fdt - 12-29-2014 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Ferna a package will arrive Monday at Geoff's Bajabound Insurance ..

As always a big hurrah for what you, your family and elves do ..

Blanca sorry it couldn't get there in time for you to 'schlep' across!

Thank you Cabo Magic !

Ford - 12-29-2014 at 12:16 PM

My wife was going to go to toys r us today to buy gifts and send to you. Would you prefer gift cards? What is easier for you?
Thanks!
Ford

BajaGeoff - 12-29-2014 at 02:59 PM

The box of goodies from Cabo Magic has arrived at the office!

fdt - 12-30-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ford  
My wife was going to go to toys r us today to buy gifts and send to you. Would you prefer gift cards? What is easier for you?
Thanks!
Ford

Thank you Ford, gift cards are always good because we can buy the toys that didn't arrive or buy gift wrap, that we have none.

fdt - 12-30-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
The box of goodies from Cabo Magic has arrived at the office!

Great news!!!
Thanks again.

fdt - 12-30-2014 at 12:43 PM

Please send those gifts, we don't have much more time left.
Gracias.

sd - 12-30-2014 at 02:18 PM

Hi Fernando,

I left a big roll of wrapping paper at Baja Bound along with gifts on 12/10. May not have reached you yet, just wanted to let you know some wrap should be to you soon.
Thanks,

Scot

fdt - 12-31-2014 at 12:07 PM

Thank you Scot

CaboMagic - 12-31-2014 at 12:22 PM

Hola Ferna - giftwrap, scotch tape and gifts in the box at Bajabound office .. maybe post a new "Is anyone crossing the border in the next few days?" on the General Discussion of Q&A board .. wish we were closer we would .. Tommy's dad passed away 4 years ago so we cant get his ayuda .. LG

sd - 1-1-2015 at 08:38 AM

This is a great event, please send gifts and wrapping paper. Join us on January 11th, it will be fun.

Ford - 1-4-2015 at 09:31 PM

My wife posted an emergency email to all our friends. The kids in mexico will be without gifts this year.....we came home to a bunch of stuff on our porch! I will overnight to you tomorrow. You will have it Tuesday.
Sorry so late!
Ford

fdt - 1-5-2015 at 08:30 AM

Thank you so much Ford.
Could you please, if it's not to late, take a picture of the toys and email it to me at fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com so we can include them on the list we are making for mexican customs to see if we can bring them all at one time.
Saludos,
Fernando

Ford - 1-5-2015 at 09:00 AM

I am sorry I am so lame I can't ever figure out how to sent photos....always says file too large.
No clothes correct? My kids got some tony hawk sweat shirts that are too small....they are new with tags :)

fdt - 1-5-2015 at 09:11 AM

Thanks, got the email Ford. You can send the clothes also if it's not to late. There are always kids that can use them, the reason for not asking for clothes is because some people in the past sent used clothes.
Saludos y gracias,
Fernando

BajaBlanca - 1-5-2015 at 10:56 AM

I bet you are all busy wrapping right now! Can't wait to see the pics of this year's event and sure hope that one year I can physically be there to help out.

Get busy elves!

BajaBlanca - 1-6-2015 at 07:57 PM

bump for update?

fdt - 1-7-2015 at 08:41 AM

Update;
We are 3 days from the event and we request that you send NO MORE toys, we have about 400 already and whatever we are missing we will purchase. This because it looks like (not positive yet) we will be able to get them all across in one trip, this possibly with the help of a friend of a friend of a friend that knows a friend that might know of someone who can probably get us the permit for all the toys.
Worst case, the contrabando hormiga will have to do. I will be taking days off from work to accomplish this so it should be ok, we have several hormigas that can help.

So with all that said we are now accepting donations via Paypal only and this is to cover for all the expenses.

The Paypal is fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

Saludos y gracias,
Fernando

fdt - 1-7-2015 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Ohh Boy....let's go for it. Best ever.

Ferna....if I can be of any help in this area, let me know.

Now is the time,
Gracias

fdt - 1-7-2015 at 09:26 AM

here is a link to the facebook page of were we will be delivering the toys on sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/centro-de-promocion-de-salud-...

sd - 1-7-2015 at 09:38 AM

Thanks Fernando for the update, and great that so many BajaNomads participate, thanks everyone! The facebook link to where we are going is great, I am excited to join everyone on Sunday, will meet you at the bus stop.

Scot

fdt - 1-7-2015 at 10:05 AM

Paypal fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

fdt - 1-8-2015 at 04:34 AM

Who will be joining us on Sunday?
I know of a few of you but, please, come on, join us and experience first hand what this event is all about. Come and join us and get to see first hand were your toys and donations go. It is a fascinating experience to see the faces of those children that, if not for you all would not have had a gift during this holiday season.
The meeting place is the same as every year, the (old) tourist bus terminal on Avenida Revolucion between 6th and 7th streets at 9:30am.

Enjoy a day with us, we will be your hosts of a beautiful Baja Experience.

Don't know but this experience could be up there right next to kissing a whale in San Ignacio lagoon, Indescribable and Unforgettable.

BajaNomad - 1-8-2015 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
Who will be joining us on Sunday?

3, with a possible 2-3 more.

BajaBlanca - 1-8-2015 at 05:48 PM

Fernando-I heard today that the toys I took over the border are still at the dentist's office in Tijuana ....

Please pick them up as soon as you can ! I sent u2u but am putting it here as well as I got no answer.

fdt - 1-8-2015 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Fernando-I heard today that the toys I took over the border are still at the dentist's office in Tijuana ....

Please pick them up as soon as you can ! I sent u2u but am putting it here as well as I got no answer.

Thank you again Blanca.
We wont forget them, don't worry, they might still be there till Saturday. Right now we're on the tamale hunt.
There are so many things involved with this event, you'd be amazed.
Right now I'm working on having a Ballet Folklorico perform.
Gracias

David K - 1-8-2015 at 08:16 PM

You guys have a grand time! I am already committed to an annual event with my co-author that day. Wishing you great success for the children!

fdt - 1-8-2015 at 10:16 PM

Thanks DK, we'll post the pictures and video.

fdt - 1-8-2015 at 10:25 PM

Who will be attending? Come on, have fun with us

sd - 1-8-2015 at 11:20 PM

I will meet you Sunday by 9:30 at the Tijuana bus station, looking forward to what is always a great event!

Scot

fdt - 1-9-2015 at 09:29 AM

See you Sunday Scot and thanks again for joining us.

fdt - 1-10-2015 at 10:35 AM

We got all the toys to Tijuana yesterday because of that friend that helped us, it took 4 cars with 100 toys each. we also picked up the toys from the dentist and the ones Jen Hill had in Playas so we're ready for tomorrow.
The only different thing we'll have is that the toys will be unwrapped.

fdt - 1-10-2015 at 12:13 PM

Anyone else joining us tomorrow?
The meeting point is Avenida Revolucion between 6th and 7th streets in Tijuana at 9:30am.
There will be lots of hot tamales

sd - 1-10-2015 at 03:11 PM

Is this the same meeting place as previous years?

fdt - 1-10-2015 at 06:53 PM

Same place Scot, just different bus.
Mexicoach stoped sponsoring us a couple of years ago, don't know why.
The same bus company that took us to Tecate last year will be taking us again for this event but the pick up point is the same, Avenida Revolucion between 6th and 7th streets.
See you in the morning, 9:30 am
Fernando

sd - 1-10-2015 at 07:27 PM

Thanks Fernando,

It is going to be fun, always appreciative of everyone's contributions to make this event happen!!

See you in the morning.

Scot

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2015 at 10:42 AM

I am SURE the kids wont mind getting unwrapped gifts! Can't wait to see the first pics .... you all must be meeting right about now.

:bounce:

BajaNomad - 1-11-2015 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Can't wait to see the first pics .... you all must be meeting right about now.

BajaNomad - 1-11-2015 at 11:00 AM

[file]31547[/file]

BajaNomad - 1-11-2015 at 12:11 PM

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2015 at 12:50 PM

those little ones hearts must be beating wildly!

thanks for sharing so quickly!

BajaNomad - 1-11-2015 at 02:25 PM

fdt - 1-12-2015 at 12:58 PM

To all of you that made this toy drive possible, a big, big thank you. It could not happen without your help.
The rain didn't allow for all the children that we had on the list to attend but we had 113 children and probably 50 adults and all the children received 2 or more toys and there were some small toys left with the sisters of the clinic to give to those who couldn't make it.
There were also tamales left for them.
All in all it was a very successful event.
Now to see what we're going to do for the 10th anniversary one, wow, ten years and it all started as an idea to give to some 20-30 kids.
Thank you Baja Nomads, thank you, thank you.
Un fuerte abrazo de la familia Garcia para todos ustedes.

BajaBlanca - 1-12-2015 at 02:48 PM

great post! fills my heart with gladness that we all come together and make this happen.

Bring on DIA DE LOS REYES 10!