BajaNomad

Pet friendly lodging before Tecate coming from San Diego

Estrella - 10-19-2014 at 08:45 PM

We will be traveling to Mulege and will be crossing at Tecate since the toll road is still closed. We will be traveling with our dog and without our travel trailer. We like to cross as early as possible to be able to make it to GN before dark. (Wishful thinking?)
Any recommendations?

Howard - 10-19-2014 at 09:30 PM

Can you go a little further to spend the night? If you cross at Tecate and go through the wine country, go to Carretera Tecate-Ensenada KM 92, San Antonio de las Minas and on the left side of the road is a white motel, Fatima. Clean, inexpensive and they take dogs. I paid $45 the last time I stayed there with my dog. That way you will have a little extra jump on trying to make it to GN.

www.hotelplazafatima.com.

Estrella - 10-19-2014 at 09:45 PM

We have heard of The Plaza Fatima and it sounds great but not sure we can make it there before dark. We will certainly discuss it. How long does it take to get there once you are through the border crossing?

Howard - 10-19-2014 at 09:49 PM

Driving very slowly through Tecate and normal speed the rest of the way, I would say a little more than 1 hour from the crossing, 1 1/2 hours at the most.

Estrella - 10-19-2014 at 09:56 PM

Appreciate the info, but will need to look for a place before the border this time of year.

sd - 10-20-2014 at 03:44 AM

Howard,

hotelplazafatima.com

The price you paid was a great bargain. Their website price is $80 single and $100 double. That area is pricey for hotels.

DENNIS - 10-20-2014 at 07:28 AM

The Tecate road can take a bit longer than usual, given the increase in truck traffic due to the Toll Road construction. My last trip from Tecate to Sauzal took an hour longer than normal.

rts551 - 10-20-2014 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
Howard,

hotelplazafatima.com

The price you paid was a great bargain. Their website price is $80 single and $100 double. That area is pricey for hotels.

Late at night last year he wanted to charge me $90 even though the place was empty. I sad no thanks

Howard - 10-20-2014 at 08:07 AM

$90 is way over priced for that hotel and I would of walked as well. I have stayed there around 6 times over the years and have never seen more than 3 rooms occupied. I will try and stay there again but not for anywhere near $90. The problem is, that if you are heading northbound and they ask that kind of $, what are the choices if it is late in the day? Heading southbound, no problem with all the options in and around Ensenada.

Estrella - 10-20-2014 at 09:49 AM

So it seems after conferring with our traveling partners that we are looking for a place in the La Mesa area that is pet friendly, clean, close to food for a late dinner then a very early breakfast so we can get to Tecate when they open. We have this figured out for SY but not this direction.

Route??

bajaguy - 10-20-2014 at 09:51 AM

Will you be on the 5, the 15 or the 805 when you get into the San Diego area??

When our daughter was going to SDSU, we stayed here in LaMesa, pet friendly:

http://www.heritagehotelgroup.com/sd_lamesa/heritage_inn_la_...

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by bajaguy]

DENNIS - 10-20-2014 at 10:18 AM

Pet Friendly Hotels:

http://www.pet-friendly-hotels.net/

toneart - 10-20-2014 at 01:09 PM

I always stay at the El Cajon Motel 6. Easy access off the 8 freeway and convenient to the Tecate route. Clean and good grounds for walking the dog.

Estrella - 10-20-2014 at 05:12 PM

Thanks Toneart! Will do!

toneart - 10-20-2014 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Estrella
Thanks Toneart! Will do!

Estrella-

An additional feature at the Motel 6 in El Cajon: there is a Chinese Buffet Restaurant right there on the hotel premises. Good food; huge selection and it is great for people watching. Always the strangest looking local residents in there. Nothing dangerous or threatening. Just comical. Makes you wonder what their stories are. I make up my own and enter them in my journal.

I have always towed a travel trailer or a boat to Mulege. You can make better time without your trailer but days are getting much shorter now. I don't advise driving too fast although some do. Making it to GN before dark is iffy. My big dog and I stop often along the highway. We don't measure the distances by KM markers but rather, by our familiar landmark cacti.

Better to break up your overnight stays into two; first at San Quintin or El Rosario (Baja Cactus). Then it is an easy drive to GN and overnight there (Las Ballenas Motel). It is basic, Mexican style but clean, pet friendly and they have wifi. It is one block off the main blvd. There is a sign at the street where you turn right.

It will probably still be warm but I always sneak in an electric space heater during winter. Those rooms get cold!

Anything you want to know about Mulege, ask me. My info is not current though since Odile. You may U2U me. I don't put my personal mulege business on BN anymore (Trolls). I will post general Mulege stuff though.

Have a great trip and take it easy. Get into the Maņana mode.:D

Marla Daily - 10-20-2014 at 07:44 PM

Heritage Inn on Fletcher Parkway in La Mesa (outside of San Diego)
is a fairly sleazy and cheap hotel that allows dogs. $49/night and about 45 minutes from the Tecate crossing. We stay there with our 4 dogs when headed south. (We always ask for the handicap room so taking dogs out is easy on the ground floor level.)

bkbend - 10-20-2014 at 07:58 PM

Why not stay at your normal San Diego area lodgings and enter through San Ysidro? The free road detour is still quicker than going to Tecate and back to Ensenada. Just a thought.

toneart - 10-24-2014 at 01:34 PM

Estrella-

Here is the requested photo of Paco. He will be 13 on New Years Day. Everyone in Mulege knows Paco. He is a great 1st. Mate while fishing, too. :cool:

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by toneart]

Well, I tried twice to post the photo as an attachment. I have posted dozens of photos here, always successfully. For some reason, the photo shows up in the attachment box but doesn't post. It just says "error" after the post. I will try again but if it doesn't post, oh well...I tried!

Paco

toneart - 10-24-2014 at 01:57 PM

Well, this one worked. It is a different photo than the one I tried earlier. All photos are downsized to comply with BN requirements. Anyway, here's........PACO! :D

000_0001 [640x480] [640x480] [640x480] [640x480] [640x480].JPG - 49kB

Mulegena - 10-24-2014 at 02:03 PM

Paco...miss you, dude!! It's been years, Paco.

Oh, and hi to Tony, too.

toneart - 10-24-2014 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Paco...miss you, dude!! It's been years, Paco.

Oh, and hi to Tony, too.

:yes: Thanks, Lisa Maria. Paco misses you too! So do I! ;) Send me an email if you still have the email address. Otherwise, send me a U2U. We will catch up.

Tony

Estrella - 10-24-2014 at 02:13 PM

Yes, now I remember Paco! Give him a hug ...

toneart - 10-24-2014 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Estrella
Yes, now I remember Paco! Give him a hug ...

Will do!