BajaNomad

Baja in 1899

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 11:32 AM

Came across a great historical Baja book, free for viewing, on Google books. Beautiful photos, maps, and text in English and Spanish.

"El territorio de la Baja California, Mexico : su agricultura, comercio, mineria e industrias, en Ingles y Espanol."

"The territory of Baja California, Mexico : its agriculture, commerce, mining and industries, in English and Spanish."

by John R Southworth
Published 1899

Click below for the link to Google books. You can save it to your hard-drive and read it at your leisure.

Baja 1899

Here's an example of one of the lovely photos--the women of Baja in 1899:

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 11:47 AM

And one more . . . boating on the Mulege river.

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 11:54 AM

Caption reads simply, "Group of Indians."

Mexitron - 10-20-2014 at 12:20 PM

Sounds interesting.

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by Mexitron]

greengoes - 10-20-2014 at 12:43 PM

The book looks very interesting. Would you please explain how one can read this book on or off line. I clicked everything including buy it but nada.

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 12:57 PM

Hi--I'm sorry it's not coming up for you.

On my computer, I can read the book right from the screen (from the link I posted). There's also a red "READ EBOOK" button on the left side. When I hover the mouse over it, without clicking, there is a "download .pdf" option. That saves the file to my computer, so I can read it offline.

Does this "reader" link work for you?

reader link

If these don't work, it may be because you're not a registered google user. I believe you have to have a google account to read google e-books.

greengoes - 10-20-2014 at 01:35 PM

Nope....no red button to read.

Although I did find this book I could buy..........

Codigo Civil Del Distrito Federal Y Territorio De La Baja-California

Udo - 10-20-2014 at 01:40 PM

I think these photos predate even DK's collection?

David K - 10-20-2014 at 01:48 PM

Awesome find!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 01:48 PM

greengoes--

I think a google account might be the issue. If you want to sign up, use this link. Then it should give you access to all the Baja book resources.

google account

The book you found is a listing of different laws/statutes of the era (in Spanish).

greengoes - 10-20-2014 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by güéribo
greengoes--

I think a google account might be the issue. If you want to sign up, use this link. Then it should give you access to all the Baja book resources.

google account

The book you found is a listing of different laws/statutes of the era (in Spanish).

Signed in with google account, no book for me.

fireballs warned me about links. Have you met him yet?

EnsenadaDr - 10-20-2014 at 02:30 PM

Greengoes, wasn't that you and your cat on the boat in the Mulege river? I thought you posted that picture from your family album "Katz Enterprises Mulege Company Picnic".
Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
The book looks very interesting. Would you please explain how one can read this book on or off line. I clicked everything including buy it but nada.

greengoes - 10-20-2014 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Greengoes, wasn't that you and your cat on the boat in the Mulege river?

hahaha hi doc, what's shaking? If that was mi gato down there he would be a mudcat which some say is a distant relative to a mudkipz.

The interesting thing about those images is they are no where on the Intertubes.

Whoever jerbo is the pictures he is posting are very unique.

Juanita - 10-20-2014 at 03:35 PM

That's wonderful. I can't open the book either, but I am thrilled to see the picture of the boat on Rio Mulege. In the photo archive of San Ignacio we have another shot taken that same day, of the boat pulled up to the shore. I knew it was Mulege because of the elegant clothing of the people, but did not have the date. Were there any more pictures of Mulege or San Ignacio?

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 03:42 PM

Hi, Juanita. Let me check. I'll try to post the best of the photos here. Stay tuned.

güéribo - 10-20-2014 at 04:13 PM

Here are three more . . .

Todos Santos

Juanita - 10-20-2014 at 06:29 PM

Thank you! What fun they had in the old days!

Tioloco - 10-20-2014 at 07:37 PM

Really cool look back, thank u

güéribo - 10-21-2014 at 03:08 PM

Hi, Juanita.

Have you read the article, "The Vanished Tribes of Lower California" by Edward H. Davis? It's on the San Diego History site:

Vanished Tribes article

It has some San Ignacio photos that might interest you.

From the article:

Edward H. Davis (1862-1951) traveled west from New York for health reasons in 1885. He was a surveyor in San Diego County and eventually settled in Mesa Grande, becoming a rancher, lodge owner, skilled illustrator, and photographer. He became good friends with his Indian neighbors and promoted their pottery making and basket weaving. Concerned about the declining Indian population, Davis began documenting their culture.

He wrote the diary published herein in March to May 1926 and illustrated it with photographs, all of which are in the Davis collection at the San Diego History Center.

David K - 10-21-2014 at 03:30 PM

Great stuff güéribo!

The photo on page 256 of the Vanished Tribes article is not "Mission San Pablo" as the 1926 caption states, but is actually the Mission Santa Gertrudis visita ruins of San Pablo... located east of Vizcaino in the San Pablo canyon. The adobe ruins are little changed when compared to recent photos, thanks to the lack of roads and dry climate. They resemble Mission Santa María so much, many early Baja authors thought they found a lost mission and called it 'Dolores del Norte' (which INAH still does)!

Keep sharing your history discoveries! BRAVO!!

philodog - 2-28-2015 at 05:33 PM

this book doesn`t seem to be available as an ebook anymore. Did anyone save it as a pdf file that they would be willing to email me? THanks.

osh@mcn.org

David K - 3-1-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
this book doesn`t seem to be available as an ebook anymore. Did anyone save it as a pdf file that they would be willing to email me? THanks.

osh@mcn.org

Hi Phil,
The links above are all working for me this morning... are any of these what you can't open?

Google Book Link

Baja California Illustrated

Vanished Tribes in Lower California

SFandH - 3-1-2015 at 10:39 AM

osh@mcn.org

That's correct for books.google.com. On the left under the "get print book" button it says "No eBook available". Appears to be true for the pBook (paperBook or dead tree book) too.

[Edited on 3-1-2015 by SFandH]

David K - 3-1-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

osh@mcn.org

That's correct for books.google.com. On the left under the "get print book" button it says "No eBook available". Appears to be true for the pBook (paperBook or dead tree book) too.

[Edited on 3-1-2015 by SFandH]

I just downloaded the full eBook, and it is free: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=7zRQAQAAIAAJ&...

1899 Maps

David K - 3-1-2015 at 10:56 AM

Sadly, the eBook is not scanned at a higher resolution to easily read the maps...

SFandH - 3-1-2015 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I just downloaded the full eBook, and it is free: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=7zRQAQAAIAAJ&...

I don't see a download button and I'm signed into my Google account. Where is it?

David K - 3-1-2015 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I don't see a download button and I'm signed into my Google account. Where is it?

It pops right up a split second after the page appears...

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=7zRQAQAAIAAJ&...

SFandH - 3-1-2015 at 11:09 AM

Hmmm, not for me.

David K - 3-1-2015 at 11:12 AM

Bummer, I just viewed all 98 pages... I wish the scan was sharper for the many photos inside.

philodog - 3-2-2015 at 12:46 PM

I get the same results as SFanddH. But gueribo was kind enough to email the pdf file to me. Muchas gracias!

gueribo - 3-7-2015 at 08:22 PM

You are very welcome. I love these old books.