BajaNomad

condition of road from san felipe to "dry" lake chapala at hwy 1

mulegemichael - 10-23-2014 at 07:01 AM

in a few weeks i'll be heading north from mulege and would prefer to take the "back" road from lake chapala up to san felipe rather than drive through san quintin, ensenada, etc.....anyone hear what its like post odile?

chuckie - 10-23-2014 at 07:40 AM

I thnk someone just commented on this Michael? maybe back a page or two? I think they said it had some new washouts ...If you go out that way, would you please fill em in so I dont bruise my delicate burro when I go down? Thanks.

David K - 10-23-2014 at 07:47 AM

The Baja Road Conditions Forum has several posts, starting with one from TW on Sept. 19... Here is the forum for Baja Road Conditions: http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16

KurtG - 10-23-2014 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
in a few weeks i'll be heading north from mulege and would prefer to take the "back" road from lake chapala up to san felipe rather than drive through san quintin, ensenada, etc.....anyone hear what its like post odile?

I motorcycled it last week. Rough between Chapala and Coco's but quite passable for any vehicle with good clearance. It is just slow going right now. From Coco's to the pavement at Gonzaga the road is like in past years, pretty good condition.

cj5orion - 10-23-2014 at 08:53 AM

ya got the baja 1000 coming up mid-nov !
could be bad drivin during that

David K - 10-23-2014 at 09:55 AM

Note that the race course is coming NORTH from Chapala to Coco's, so if you are southbound be very cautious of race traffic from now until the race is over (Nov. 16).

Here is the section (note the course around El Rosario has since been changed, and the race is going into El Rosario and not around it)...

Edit for newer version map:

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by David K]