BajaNomad

Van travel to Cabo

catravelor - 10-23-2014 at 04:10 PM

I was thinking of driving my van (1994 Ford Econoline) from San Diego to Cabo in January and spending 3 weeks in the environs there. I heard that the roads are greatly improved and lots of gas stations. Question: is the gas in Baja as watered and as damaging to engines as in days gone by? Are prices below $3.50 per gallon?
How does Temporary Import Permit work?

Also, is sleeping in the van along the trek not a good idea? I did this in 1995 and had a blast for 2 months in my jeep, but things change

David K - 10-23-2014 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by catravelor
I was thinking of driving my van (1994 Ford Econoline) from San Diego to Cabo in January and spending 3 weeks in the environs there. I heard that the roads are greatly improved and lots of gas stations. Question: is the gas in Baja as watered and as damaging to engines as in days gone by? Are prices below $3.50 per gallon?
How does Temporary Import Permit work?

Also, is sleeping in the van along the trek not a good idea? I did this in 1995 and had a blast for 2 months in my jeep, but things change

1) Welcome to Nomad!
2) This will get moved to the Q & A forum, since it isn't a travel article.
3) Gasoline in Mexico is superior and not diluted with corn ethanol like US gas is. Your mileage will improve. However, finding accurate pumps may be an issue.
Gas is MORE expensive than in California. Mexico's government dictates the price, and it is close to $4 a gallon in Mexico now. San Diego area gas is $3.09-$3.49 range. Top off in El Rosario... there is a 200 mile gap in Pemex station south of there.
4) Baja California peninsula is exempt from you needing an import permit. If you travel to the mainland, then you can get one before crossing the gulf by ferry.
5) Sleep outside and watch the stars and satellites... otherwise, inside is fine!

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by David K]

motoged - 10-23-2014 at 05:14 PM

The gas is real gas with non of that ethanol crap you get back home.

Roads are better....etc.

Sounds like you should do it and upgrade your program....you may be living in a time warp of sorts.:biggrin:

Maron - 10-23-2014 at 09:36 PM

Last year, we drove our RV to Cabo. No problems with the gas. Most of the larger Pemex stations are happy to allow you to overnight. Many of the big rigs do so, to save some$$.

Be safe and enjoy

bajalearner - 10-24-2014 at 08:00 AM

Have a great adventure!!! Plan to have a nice time and you will have a great time. KISS. (Keep it simple) but definitely buy MX car insurance.

AKgringo - 10-24-2014 at 12:48 PM

About the Mexican auto insurance, I have been told that if you don't have a tourist permit acquired at the border, your coverage may not be honored. No one has ever asked me to produce the permit, but I have never been in an accident.
By the way, if you are a Costco member, check for a link through their services for a Mexican company. With the member discount, a year cost me less than the month I paid for at the border the year before.
Don't worry, be happy!
G.L.

Brennan - 10-27-2014 at 07:33 AM

I got my Mexico car insurance through Vagabundos del Mar (http://www.vagabundos.com/). Quick and easy. They have monthly and annual options available. I didn't personally compare rates, but have heard they are very competitive. I'm planning to get a TIP for my truck in Ensenada, only because I may go over to the mainland as part of my trip and don't want to deal with getting it in La Paz. I also pre-ordered my FMM thru Vagabundos.