chuckie - 10-23-2014 at 11:50 PM

Great~! Thanks

BajaParrothead - 10-24-2014 at 12:06 AM

Great pics Igor. Thanks
BTW: I was born and raised in HMB.

TMW - 10-24-2014 at 08:56 AM

Excellent, thanks

bacquito - 10-24-2014 at 09:11 AM

I remember Lee Vining, Bishop, Convict Lake, Owens River. Thanks for posting the photos,

Bob H - 10-24-2014 at 09:15 AM

Fantastic!

bkbend - 10-24-2014 at 10:31 AM

Thanks, hope to be traversing that country in a week or so.

Skipjack Joe - 10-24-2014 at 10:50 AM

The best opportunities for leaf color last week were at the 2nd campground turnoff when driving from Lee Vining to Tioga Pass. A great stand of birches is right next to the highway but more can be reached by following that side road.

The 'magic time' around the Tuolumne Meadows starts between 3 and 4 pm and remains until dusk. The granite starts to glow in the lower light and the wind dies down.

Good luck.

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by Skipjack Joe]

Pompano - 10-24-2014 at 10:55 AM

Some great fall color photos, Igor. I also think that area is the place to be at this time of year. We are having fall's display Up North, too...with the hardwoods leading the show. Isn't it grand?

Skipjack Joe - 10-24-2014 at 11:13 AM

It's grand to hear your voice again.

güéribo - 10-24-2014 at 01:35 PM

That first photo is spectacular!

Floatflyer - 10-24-2014 at 03:00 PM

36 years in Mammoth Lakes, many great memories! Awesome time of year.

Skipjack Joe - 10-24-2014 at 03:06 PM

Thanks gueribo.

Thank you everybody for your kind words.

PlanB - 10-24-2014 at 04:22 PM

Stayed at Aspen Campground just before it closed for the season. Our favorite spot especially at the price = US$7.00 per night. Then went to Convict Lake for a few more to enjoy the walk to the head of the lake. fond memories till next season.

Bajahowodd - 10-24-2014 at 04:49 PM

Loved the photos, Igor. Brought back many memories.

Skipjack Joe - 10-24-2014 at 05:02 PM

The next great opportunity will be the first snowfall in Yosemite Valley. That's an awesome experience. The only problem is staying warm.

Speaking of staying warm - The days near Mono Lake were just wonderful, absolutely wonderful. But the nights. Oye. It was around 36 just before sunrise.

As you struggle with the lowering temperatures the most difficult decision is whether to open your warm bag and put on those cold sweatpants and shirt or stick with the status quo and wait it out until sunrise with it's warm rays.

FYI

Skipjack Joe - 10-25-2014 at 03:41 AM

The water level at Mono Lake is the lowest I've every seen. One more year of drought and the coyotes will be feasting on the seagulls on their nesting island.

RnR - 10-25-2014 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
The water level at Mono Lake is the lowest I've every seen. One more year of drought and the coyotes will be feasting on the seagulls on their nesting island.

FYI

We've seen the water level in Mono Lake significantly lower in the past (maybe 15 -20 yrs ago). Low enough that the land bridge to the island was completely exposed for several years.

At that time, one of the land management agencies, (FS, USFWS, BLM, ?) erected a predator exclusion fence across the land bridge to block land animal access to the nesting island.

Beautiful photos!

wilderone - 10-29-2014 at 08:53 AM

Skipjack, I’m sure we must have crossed paths – we drove out of Yosemite, after camping in the valley for 4 nights, and then spent the 24th at Lower Grays Meadow campground out of Independence.

We had a wonderful trip – Benton Hot Springs, hiked to Montgomery City, camping off Rock Creek Rd (cooold), long hikes in Yosemite valley. The Eastern Sierra Nevada has something for everyone.

Tenaya Lake:

The deer in Yosemite are familiar with being in close proximity to humans.

Benton Hotsprings camp site – each has its own hot tub.

Campground at Independence. Only one other car there.

And of course the Fall color

Classic Yosemite –

Skipjack Joe - 10-29-2014 at 09:15 AM

I really like your images, particularly the ones with reflections.

The following image I am almost certain is the same grove of aspens(?) that was my first image. The road is the same and the highlands at Tioga Pass are visible. The only difference is that there wasn't a speck of green in them when I was there. Just to satisfy my curiosity, was this taken near Lee Vining Creek?

Thanks for adding your impressions of the same area to this thread. You must have spent more time on your trip because I could never have made it to Lone Pine and back in a weekend. The warm pools seem very inviting. Will search the internet to see how to get there.

Baja4Rnr - 10-29-2014 at 09:20 AM

One of my favorite places in CA, especially this time of year. I always make it a point to stop at the Whoa Nelli Deli for some great food, drink, and view of Mono Lake.

Hot springs

bajaguy - 10-29-2014 at 09:27 AM

There are several easy access hot springs/pools bounded by the Hot Creek Hatchery Road, Owens River Road the Benton Crossing Road:

Crab Cooker, Shepard's, Wild Willy's

This is a good resource: http://www.hotspringguides.com/ESHS.jpg

A word of caution.....bring a hot tub/jacuzzi thermometer and test the water.

Unfortunately, access to the pools area of Hot Creek are closed.

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by bajaguy]

wilderone - 10-29-2014 at 10:07 AM

That photo was taken along Lee Vining Cr, off Tioga Rd; the road in the photo is the one leading to Aspen Grove and Big Bend Campground.
We had 9 days for our trip - I could have spent another week fershur. The weather was perfect, no traffic, no crowds.

I know of 4 hotsprings pools in the area near the one in the photo. For that hot pool (not warm), take the turn at Benton Crossing Rd (green church on corner on 395), go just past the second major cattle crossing. Look to your left - you'll see a plain, with some white mineralized soil, a dirt road leading to a parking area. Once at the parking area, you'll see a walking path to the pool, which sits atop a small hill. You can add more hot water by turning the on/off valve in the intake pipe. Way fun.

Re: reflections. There were no waterfalls and most of the creeks were dry - such is the case this time of year.

Our hike to Mirror Lake:

Does anyone know what kind of snake this is?

Skipjack Joe - 10-29-2014 at 10:12 AM

Yes I noticed that from your pictures. I've never seen the Merced in the valley so low. Yosemite Falls must have been a trickle.

wessongroup - 10-29-2014 at 10:43 AM

Thanks to all ... nice "stuff" ... and yes, it do get cold at Rock Creek this time of year :biggrin::biggrin:

wilderone - 10-29-2014 at 10:51 AM

This was Lower Yosemite Falls. That white streak is just a stain on the rocks - you have to use your imagination. There was no water. We watched some climbers scale the face on the right side. They probably don’t attempt this when the water is flowing.

DianaT - 10-29-2014 at 10:58 AM

It is great living in the Eastern Sierra area, especially this time of year.
We have been off taking pictures of fall color from the Ruby Mountains and Great Basin National Park in Nevada back to the high country around here from Mono on down and up most of the water sheds.

But on a daily basis right now, I find this tree in our front yard to be so calming as it is balancing summer and fall at this time.

Enjoy all the photos of our sierra playground. And time for everyone to do lots of rain and snow dances! It is so needed.

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by DianaT]

Skipjack Joe - 10-29-2014 at 11:14 AM

Thanks Diane. I love what you did with these colors.

I too have been experimenting with adding cyan to my greens. There was a photographer from Alaska that kept posting foliage that had been processed with Velveia film and I always was fascinated with his greens. Just recently I discovered that it was a film that produces rich cyan greens during development. He shot images of those corn lillies that are/were popular with photographers.

tripledigitken - 10-29-2014 at 11:43 AM

Thanks for posting all the fall color Sierra images. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it up there this year.

This is Devil's Postpile from a few autumns ago.

(the drive to Benton from just south of Lee Vining on 120 is one of my favorite drives in the Sierra)

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by tripledigitken]

DianaT - 10-29-2014 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Thanks Diane. I love what you did with these colors.

I too have been experimenting with adding cyan to my greens. There was a photographer from Alaska that kept posting foliage that had been processed with Velveia film and I always was fascinated with his greens. Just recently I discovered that it was a film that produces rich cyan greens during development. He shot images of those corn lillies that are/were popular with photographers.

Thanks Igor --- but I have a confession to make. I have been using some Topaz plug-ins that do a lot of work for me and then I just tweak something until I like it. The colors in the original are not much different, just a little less bright. I still don't have a full Photoshop program, just an Elements program and really need to learn more how to use it!

For the most part, I like the color I get with my Sony Nex6 with some different presets in the camera. In fact, I am using the Sony so much more than the heavy Canon stuff! I just bought a prime 35mm 1.8 lens for low light and can't wait to play with it!

Still lots of color at he lower elevations --- a lot is gone up high.

Skipjack Joe - 10-29-2014 at 02:40 PM

Interesting. You're going lighter and I'm going heavier.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to Nikon and buying the Nikon D800, or better yet D810.

So I'm not purchasing any more Canon lenses until the decision is made. Many are waiting for Canon to make a full frame camera that's comparable to the D800. Supposedly it's coming. But what will be the cost?

Skipjack Joe - 10-29-2014 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

Thanks Igor --- but I have a confession to make. I have been using some Topaz plug-ins that do a lot of work for me and then I just tweak something until I like it. The colors in the original are not much different, just a little less bright. I still don't have a full Photoshop program, just an Elements program and really need to learn more how to use it!

For the most part, I like the color I get with my Sony Nex6 with some different presets in the camera. In fact, I am using the Sony so much more than the heavy Canon stuff! I just bought a prime 35mm 1.8 lens for low light and can't wait to play with it!

Still lots of color at he lower elevations --- a lot is gone up high.

The literature by the experts all recommend that you shoot raw with as little in-camera processing as possible. No contrast. No saturation. No sharpening. And then do all of that in photoshop. Apparently all of those camera features reduce information from the image and you have less flexibility later on.

But the postprocessing is time consuming and you need a lot of memory. It's only worth doing for a few favorite images, I think. Well, so far it's been a bit painful - but also enjoyable when it comes together.

BajaLuna - 10-30-2014 at 07:21 PM

OH my heart be still! All of YOU take the most breathtakingly beautiful photos, seriously YOU do. I soooo love Fall and the colors it gives us!

I need to take a trip back to these parts...sooner rather than later! and definitely in the Fall!

spectacular shots, thanks for sharing your expression of Fall!

Skipjack Joe - 10-30-2014 at 10:26 PM

Likewise I'm hoping to take some memorable shots in your area over the christmas break.

Baja is much more challenging to photograph. It takes planning and then being there for the few minutes when the light is right.

DianaT - 11-1-2014 at 06:54 PM

Igor, I really am enjoying going lighter --- old age is setting in. :yes:

Good thing you got to the Eastern Sierra already, as today driving home from Reno, we drove through an early Snow storm --- not a lot of snow, but SNOW and we hope for a lot more this years to help with the drought. :yes::yes:

Just a couple of proof that there was snow snapshots taken just south of Mammoth out the side window of the car wile traveling at 65 mph. I cranked up the speed and I was surprised that I could actually see the trees. :biggrin:

And we took a very quick side trip up to Convict just to see, and sure enough, a couple of hearty fishermen were hanging in there. :yes:

Cliffy - 11-1-2014 at 07:24 PM

Back in the 50s around Mammoth to June Lk along 395 there were hot springs and small geysers all around. They were all capped when they built the thermal generating station just over the hill east of Mammoth.
Have seen (as mentioned) Mono low enough for the land bridge. Also, there was a marina on Mono for water skiing many decades ago.

Skipjack Joe - 11-1-2014 at 11:11 PM

They skied at Mono Lake? Incredible. I once made the mistake of opening my eyes underwater there. It felt like acid. The salinity is much higher than seawater.

Cliffy - 11-1-2014 at 11:23 PM

Probably why it didn't last too long.