BajaNomad

Punta Canoas to Rosalillita?

BajaBusDriver - 10-24-2014 at 09:07 PM

Hello everyone. I'm hoping to drive into Punta Canoas and take the coast "road" down through the 7 sisters. One pretty burly, albeit heavy, 4X4. and a lighter weight 4X4. Plan on walking any questionable sections and or send the light rig in front to probe so the bigger rig can easily pull it out before getting stuck.

Has anyone heard anything about this stretch of the coast since Odile hit?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

BooJumMan - 10-25-2014 at 12:32 AM

Haven't heard since Odile ... But if you've done it before you probably know of the problem areas. Assuming there are bypasses by now though... Jealous I can't get down there and give you a first hand report, thats for sure. ;)

Id say get a strap for sure. One guy goes into something sketchy, the other guy can pull him out!

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by BooJumMan]

BajaBusDriver - 10-25-2014 at 07:34 AM

Thanks BooJumMan!

Have you done that drive. I have not. I have heard there are some problem areas, mainly silt beds, and I've heard they are bad between Punta Maria and Blanca, but other than that I don't really know the problem areas.

If you have any more info I'd take it.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

TMW - 10-25-2014 at 10:33 AM

We drove the coast from Santa Rosalillita to Punta Canoas in July without any problems. There are silt beds in some locations but not a problem just pick a good line and if necessary have one 4x4 wait till the other is thru. From Punta Canoas you'll go east to a jct at 29-27.470x115-09.630. Go right and it will take you to the coast, stay on the best used road. Just before the coast there is a house set back with a fence around it and a road next to the fence. Take that road and it will shortly wind over to the coast. This coastal road is a good graded road that will take you the San Jose area and the coastal road along the 7 sisters. Remember stay on the most used road.

There are a couple of places where you may have to take a wide sweep inland to skirt the marsh areas but no big deal. North of Punta Blanco at 29-10.800x114-44..260 is a jct with a road that goes to Chapala at Hwy1 KM233. Further along the coast after Punta Blanco you will start inland for a piece and come to a Jct at 29-05.400x114-36.050. If you go right it will take you over a hill and out to the coast but this is a road with lots of silt so be carefull. If you go straight it will take you to another Jct at 29-05.600x114-32.140. Watch for an abondoned ranch with a windmill. This is called Cordornices in the almanac. Further east is a rancho on the north side of the arroyo area that you should see. Straight at the Jct goes to Hwy1 at KM252, Go right. This will come near the coast at Punta Cono and past there San Jose de las Palomas.

Have a good trip, be safe.

David K - 10-25-2014 at 12:00 PM

Here's the TW Loop route (the road from Laguna Chapala to the Pacific is not on any published maps, yet):

The M numbers are the Mileages (every 5 mostly) from Chapala to the coast; then the mileage to the second road back to Hwy. 1; then the mileages from that point near the coast back to Hwy. 1.

In 2007, we drove the coast road using this route... it is a nice example of what traveling down Baja was before Hwy. 1... specially on the non-graded sections...

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by David K]

Tomas Tierra - 10-25-2014 at 04:17 PM

I don't think there was any rain in that area to speak of from Odile...I was in the neighborhood during Odile..
But a few weeks later, 40 miles north, 12.5 inches were rumored to have fallen.. Don't be surprised to find the de-fabled 7 hermanas road torn to absolute shreds... Do not have a confirmed report on that stretch of road though...
Good luck! If it's good, don't report back :saint:

TT

BooJumMan - 10-25-2014 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra

Good luck! If it's good, don't report back :saint:

AMEN!!! :D

DawnPatrol - 10-25-2014 at 07:22 PM

Did the route outlined in yellow by David K a couple years ago, except we cut in the route a little to the North of Catavina

You should have zero problems.. the track fades a bit in spots early on but that area is hard pack anyways...

Close to Pta Canoa & Pta Blanco its a very easy trail

we did have to cut in off the coast for just a bit

You will have a blast!

Alan from San Diego

BajaBusDriver - 10-26-2014 at 09:46 PM

Thanks a lot everyone!! Just finishing up the last bit of packing, then heading down next week! Psyched. Thanks again for all the info! TW, I'll put those coordinates into my gps.

Rob

DawnPatrol - 10-27-2014 at 12:25 PM

when I said the track fades a little , that was from the point where we turned south, not on the way in from the east to the beach, that trail/road was decent

have fun!
Alan

Has anyone taken the road from Chapala to the coast recently?

ajr123 - 11-26-2017 at 09:15 PM

Has anyone driven the road from Chapala to the coast recently? Look like an awesome trail through some dry lakes and good way to get north of Punta Blanco! Any tough obstacles I should be concerned with? Is the other road that cuts up to the 1 at km 252 better? Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here's the TW Loop route (the road from Laguna Chapala to the Pacific is not on any published maps, yet):

The M numbers are the Mileages (every 5 mostly) from Chapala to the coast; then the mileage to the second road back to Hwy. 1; then the mileages from that point near the coast back to Hwy. 1.

In 2007, we drove the coast road using this route... it is a nice example of what traveling down Baja was before Hwy. 1... specially on the non-graded sections...

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by David K]

Tomas Tierra - 11-26-2017 at 10:23 PM

Rumor I heard last was five hours and not very nice. I forget the guys name at the Chapala tire shop, but he confirmed that report in April.

mjs - 11-27-2017 at 08:45 AM

Drive both routes in Oct. Some deep silt on both. The road to k252 is washed out around the M5 intersection IIRC. There is a bypass around/thru a ranch. Scenic route but definitely 4x4. We were in a short wheelbase H3 and had no problems. Not sure I'd want to take my LWB Dodge CC through there.