BajaNomad

Gonzaga Bay Oct 2014 Trip Report

mrfatboy - 10-27-2014 at 02:08 PM

We just got back from a very quick trip to Gonzaga Bay. We were dealing with our friends schedule and only had the weekend. The weather was fantastic, very low to no wind. Water temp was perfect.

7:30am Fri - Crossed Border

9:30am Fri - Gas up in San Felipe

There was a inspection checkpoint at Laguna Percebu. They waved us through. I think it was mainly for north bound traffic. The checkpoint was not there on our return trip on Sunday.

Stopped at Nuevo Mazatlan to check it out. We have never been. The camp area has some potential but the toilets and showers are disgusting. Used diapers, food and general garbage lying around. It is $25 per day per car. So much potential but I would not camp there.

Stopped at Cow Patty for hot dog and beer.

The inspection checkpoint right before Rancho Grande was easy. They waved us through. However, they made our friends with kids get out of the car and do the full inspection. Another reason not to have kids . LOL

The inspection (nice guy. not the bad one we had returning. read below) told us to be careful and come get them if there was any trouble. That's what they were there for. The was the first ominous warning we have ever had down here.

Camped at Beluga. The kids caught some poison puffer fish. Catch and release.

Visited some friends that have a house over by Alfonisia's. They told us of all the meth problems they have been having in the area. I guess they stealing everybody's light bulbs (and of course big stuff) to cook meth in. I never heard of that. However, we found a broken light bulb in on of the Campo Beluga's palapa's that looked like something was cooking in it. Bummer. I hope they clean up the meth problem.

Campo Beluga has changed their rates. $20 palapa/night or $10 per car if I understood correctly. The owner gave us the old rate of $25 per palapa (both cars included) since that is what we have always paid. I assume we will be going to the new rates next year :( Showers and toilets are still fine. They are also building some 2 story plywood mini cabana's that will be rented out. I didn't get any more info.

Picnic and snorkel at Punta Final Saturday. Water was a cloudier than normal but still decent. Punta Final have changed their access rates again. $12/day or $6 for half day per car. However, he only charged us $5 LOL

The one really disappointing part of the trip was on returning through the checkpoint at Rancho Grande the inspector took our friends bananas which they were saving for the kids lunch as well as stealing some kid's pesos which they had in their door pocket. Everybody just kept their mouth shut.

I was next through the inspection and didn't know of the shakedown before me and the same guy went through our coolers and "acquired" my Gatorade. No biggy he can have it but I left my wallet on the dash and was getting a little nervous.

After all these years without an issue I guess I will have to put my guard back up. I hope this is not indicative of things to come.

It only took us 45min from Rancho Grande to Cow Patty.

Had a nice lunch at Taco Factory.

Crossed Mexicali East Border at 3pm. It only took 9 minutes with Sentri. Our friends that don't have sentri took 55 minutes. I thought it would take much longer. The line was a half a mile down the street before you turn into the border crossing lanes. They accidentally got in the Ready Lane without the correct type of passports. The border agent let them through even without yelling at them. I guess that is a benefit with having kids with sad puppy faces. LOL

A good but way to short trip.

David K - 10-27-2014 at 05:21 PM

Thanks for the trip details!

Sad that a new comandante is allowing this or doing it himself at Gonzaga!

ehall - 10-28-2014 at 05:47 AM

valuable lesson on the wallet. I keep my wallet , cell phone, gps, etc in a ziploc bag and grab it when I get out for inspection. Thanks for the trip report.

[Edited on 10-28-2014 by ehall]

Light bulbs

bajaguy - 10-28-2014 at 06:24 AM

Meth heads use light bulbs to smoke it. however tin foil is cheaper and easier.

mrfatboy - 10-28-2014 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
valuable lesson on the wallet. I keep my wallet , cell phone, gps, etc in a ziploc bag and grab it when I get out for inspection. Thanks for the trip report.

[Edited on 10-28-2014 by ehall]

Yes. It was a bad time to let my guard down. I usually do what you say but pushed the trusting envelope this time. It could have been much worse.

I could care less about the gatorade. I think that particular bottle has been brought down 3 times and never used :). But stealing a little kids pesos. Come on!

bajaguy - 10-28-2014 at 06:50 AM

Letting them get away with it was a mistake. Either call them on the spot and report it to the supervising sergeant/officer, or the "headquarters" for those units is located at the Highway 3 and 5 junction.

David K - 10-28-2014 at 08:33 AM

On Hwy. 2, west of Mexicali, bottom of the grade inspection, last month we were pulled over when the first soldier saw ice chests in my truck (it was 107º I think)!

The two other soldiers and comandante, plus the first soldier walked over... and the ice chest was "inspected"... it cost me two Kirkland waters and a Mangorita (for the comandante)...

VIVA MEXICO!

redhilltown - 10-30-2014 at 12:30 AM

Like ehall i always keep my wallet, cell phone, and passport on me at every checkpoint...why worry about it?

We have given beers to the army guys at the small checkpoint out of San Felipe in the past...but it was New Year's Eve...and here and there offered some water etc...but it is a slippery slope and I guess everyone just has to judge each situation and play (pay) it as best we can.

willardguy - 10-30-2014 at 08:23 AM

lately we're seeing more and more soldiers asking for beers and always happy to hand out a few, hey we were soldiers once too! but yeah, yesterday coming home we discovered the boys had rifled the change compartment for maybe 100 pesos. the same guys we just bought a 2 liter coke for!
we got chased out by the flies at papa's, worst we've ever seen:no:

mrfatboy - 10-30-2014 at 08:30 AM

I think there is a bad apple at that checkpoint. He's giving the rest of them a bad name.

Bobos or jejenes (no-see-ums)

haddock - 11-3-2014 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

How bad are the flies at Gonzaga Bay? What kind are they? Bobos or jejenes (no-see-ums)?

We are planning a camping trip with my toddler next weekend at Papa's and we are concerned about the bitting flies.

woody with a view - 11-3-2014 at 03:03 PM

LA Bay 2 weeks ago the little flies were a 5+ on a scale of 10. a few skeeters but not too bad overall.

willardguy - 11-3-2014 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by haddock
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

How bad are the flies at Gonzaga Bay? What kind are they? Bobos or jejenes (no-see-ums)?

We are planning a camping trip with my toddler next weekend at Papa's and we are concerned about the bitting flies.

they were bad enough we couldn't wait to get out of there! many fled. my buddy got eaten alive and I didn't get a single bite? the little buggers did go away at night though while sitting on the porch (we sleep under mosquito nets)who knows, maybe they're gone now?

mrfatboy - 11-3-2014 at 04:51 PM

Campo Beluga had basically zero flies. You only saw some for about an hour each more then they went a way. They were the smaller type.

freediverbrian - 11-3-2014 at 05:16 PM

Just got back from gonzaga sat. Great fishing and diving, dorado and small yellows just off shore. No wind and lots of bugs!!!! Little gnats that drive you crazy even fishing half mile off shore bugs still find you

BajaRat - 11-3-2014 at 06:51 PM

Sorry bout the misfortune not the fortunate trip. Love the area love moost of the folks.
Bad apples and kooks spoil the brew. You do have to stand up to the disrespect... most soldiers at the post will stand up for you.
Great trip report ,thanx :cool:

haddock - 11-3-2014 at 08:49 PM

Thank you for the updates on the bug situation. So, it sounds like the jejenes (no-see-ums) are pretty bad at Gonzaga this time of the year. We will probably have to postpone the trip or hope for some wind to drive the bitting flies away.

basautter - 11-5-2014 at 06:03 PM

Last time I went through the checkpoint north of Gonzaga, the inspectors asked for a bottle of water. We said yes, and they took several items from the cooler anyway. I wanted to make an issue of it, but my friend stopped me. They are being trained to take what they want, from the cooler, or elsewhere. Next time I am holding my ground. I am ok with some sharing, but on my terms.

Marc - 11-16-2014 at 08:06 AM

Posts like this make me want to forget about Messico altogether. I've had good luck so far with soldiers and cops but I guess it's just a mater of time. Mexico IS a culture of corruption. Now our King...er...President wants to flood our country with them.

BajaBlanca - 11-16-2014 at 05:31 PM

I also ALWAYS have my purse with me on trips with wallet etc. inside and we purposely got a big plastic document bag so that Les has all our passports etc with him as he exits the car.

Not only that, we have made it our mission to keep an eye on the guys rifling thru the vehicle - he on one side and me on the other. If we have passengers, I ask them to keep an eye on the soldiers as well.

We have read about too many incidents here to be taken in knowingly.