BajaNomad

Small earthquake just now in Mulege

Gulliver - 11-12-2014 at 08:26 PM

Not much more than that. Enough to feel the house rock for a few seconds from East to West. Made the cat look at me to see why I was doing it.

KaceyJ - 11-12-2014 at 08:50 PM

yep, 4.6

http://www.ssn.unam.mx/

kc/

Gulliver - 11-12-2014 at 09:00 PM

Woke up a few beach bums on Conception.

baja-spirit - 11-12-2014 at 09:01 PM

We felt here in Punta Chivato

StuckSucks - 11-12-2014 at 09:23 PM

Nothing in La Paz.

bajabuddha - 11-12-2014 at 11:15 PM

If you go to the http://www.ssn.unam.mx/ site, and zoom in on the bay, look at theConcepcion Peninsula mountains ENE of Armenta and La Perla; there's a tertiary crossing fault you can see in the topography that runs directly to the epicenter of the quake a few miles inland on the main Baja peninsula.

I've camped for years on those beaches, looking at the faulting across the bay; wondering what forces move mountains in such a violent way. It's known that 'bending' in strata makes for slow long-term pressure, but severe 'faulting' is abrupt and violent. Next time you're in that vicinity, beer and burgers at Buenaventura or a pull-out just to look, check out the mountains to the east across the bay. Notice the horizontal strata to the north and south, and right across the bay all strata for a quarter mile is vertical. That's what just slipped behind you.

Tew Kewl, i'm sorry I missed it!!! :coolup:

Gulliver - 11-12-2014 at 11:35 PM

Having been though big ones in 49, 65 and 2000 and something in Western Washington and the 89 whammer in the Bay area, I hardly noticed this one.

It wasn't enough to wake up the geckos here.

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by Gulliver]

Bob and Susan - 11-13-2014 at 06:19 AM

we felt it...normally we don't even feel earthquakes...
about 8:07pm
4.6 sounds right : )

no water out of the pool...

in LA we used to get them and
all the time and the pool water would slosh out

checking for cracks today I guess

mtnpop - 11-13-2014 at 06:39 AM

Several shakers in Oklahoma and Kansas yesterday also... Have not heard of damages yet...

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2014 at 12:58 PM

Did not feel it on the Pacific side.

Pompano - 11-13-2014 at 03:35 PM

All of the Baja peninsula is formed by shifting plates...earthquakes. It's a very common occurrence and continuous. I cannot recall a year passing without hearing the window panes shudder every now and then. I've got an interesting earthquake on old 8mm video I filmed while we were offshore of Pt. Conception that shows dust plumes spurting out of a seaside cliff's fracture lines. Fun stuff as long as nothing falls on your head!