BajaNomad

Thats really dumb, Chuckie!

chuckie - 11-23-2014 at 02:30 PM

Ok...Thats your lead in...I am reaching the point where all my medical stuff will be done and I can head for Baja....I'll be driving "Ol Smokey" my 1996 Dodge diesel, packing a 9.5 Lance camper. I need NEED to get a 15 foot Starcraft boat, motor and trailer AND a Suzuki Quad down there. ONE trip...How? Heres what I came up with: I took the boat off the trailer, put the trailer in the shop and got out the welder. I (we) gusseted every single weld and seam and joint on the trailer. Good welds, good steel. We weighed the trailer, then again with boat and motor on it, and weighed the the Suzuki. Load was slightly less than the tagged trailer capacity. SO: We'll put the Suzuki in the boat, weight forward, using a front loader, and point er south. Trailer has new bearings with 3 extra sets on board, New tires with 3 spares....Grand plan, eh? (put the "eh" in there for Motoged) He likes that stuff...Big question? Should I stop and drink Martinis with Buddha on my way through NM? Whatcha all think...?? Oh yeah...its a one way trip for the Boat and quad..

[Edited on 11-23-2014 by chuckie]

jbcoug - 11-23-2014 at 02:46 PM

Good plan, yes, stop for Martinis!

motoged - 11-23-2014 at 03:08 PM

Beauty, eh !

You two hosers ,like, could have a brew or two, eh.

Safe travels.....

What? No pic?

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by motoged]

rts551 - 11-23-2014 at 04:03 PM

after a few drinks you won't care anymore. which front loader are you using in Baja are you using to get it back out? If it is 4x4 I guess you could just hit the gas real hard:lol:

chuckie - 11-23-2014 at 04:13 PM

My "Front Loaders" in Mulege would be my Neighbors "Mopache and Jesus" and a couple other friends....Mulegena can supervise...

DENNIS - 11-23-2014 at 04:23 PM

Make the hydration stop, for sure. It's the healthy thing to do.

chuckie - 11-23-2014 at 04:36 PM

Dehydation will not be an issue on this project....

bajabuddha - 11-23-2014 at 06:24 PM

Oh, Chuckles..... what a silly question in the first place!! We MUST check the weld-joints and if by chance on a weekend, catch up on the football, you silly goose, you.

Libations indeed. :smug:

Pescador - 11-23-2014 at 07:00 PM

All this time I never knew Buddha to Imbibe. Funnel and hose maybe, but Imbibe, I don't think so.

shari - 11-23-2014 at 07:04 PM

and after that little martini appetizer, you can stop by our patio for my latest, greatest creation...drum roll por favor......the Pithaya Martini!!!! It is a winner and such a wonderful colour eh...then we'll get into the brewskys.

chuckie - 11-24-2014 at 06:45 AM

Ooooooooooh Shari! (sigh) seeya soon.........

Just a thought

BeemerDan - 11-24-2014 at 08:18 AM

I'm guessing the starcraft is aluminum? I think you might want to think about putting a couple 2x6's or even 1x6 fence boards under the wheels for and aft to distribute the weight of the quad. It would help to keep the wheels from bouncing around and denting the hull.
Have fun!
Heading down with my bike Thurs morning for baja

dtbushpilot - 11-24-2014 at 08:24 AM

Boats aren't designed to haul freight on a trailer. When on the trailer the boat is only supported in a couple of places rather than across the entire hull as when it's in the water. You could easily bust a seam (if it is aluminum) or crack the hull (fiberglass). I'm sure you can find lots of people who will tell you that they do it all the time, those who ruined their boat probably don't talk about it much. What does the manufacturer of the boat say about it?

As for the stopping and drinking question, that should be done on a daily basis not just in NM.

chuckie - 11-24-2014 at 08:25 AM

Good idea, I put a wood floor in it a while ago, and am going to run a couple of stringers to spread the weight...A lot of the weight will be on the front seat...Thanks....

chuckie - 11-24-2014 at 08:28 AM

DTB? I know that, but no combat, no star....I doubt StarCraft would offer an opinion on a 22 year old boat...Thanks....

dtbushpilot - 11-24-2014 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
DTB? I know that, but no combat, no star....I doubt StarCraft would offer an opinion on a 22 year old boat...Thanks....

I reread your original post and realize that you were only asking advice on whether or not you should stop in NM for adult beverages. Please disregard my observation on your boat/atv plan.

Have a safe trip and be sure to post a trip report including pictures of the adult beverages :bounce::bounce:

bajabuddha - 11-24-2014 at 09:04 AM

YABUT,
NM is the home of the Stone Dolphin Bar and grill: preview pics

dtbushpilot - 11-24-2014 at 10:05 AM

Yes, and it is also the "Land of Enchantment"......that's what we New Mexicans call it...most others call it dust..:lol:

chuckie - 11-24-2014 at 10:14 AM

Last best bar in the US is in Magdalena NM...The Golden Spur....Oldtimers rodeo, BE THERE!

Bob H - 11-24-2014 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Last best bar in the US is in Magdalena NM...The Golden Spur....Oldtimers rodeo, BE THERE!

I need to check this place out!

http://goldenspursaloon.com/

moonraker1 - 11-24-2014 at 10:37 AM

Actually New Mexico should be known as the Land of Enchiladas, but years ago after the pony express rider had crossed the Rio Grande and Pecos Rivers, the ink on his dispatch had run. Folks in Washington D.C. were uncertain what was written so they settled on "Land of Enchantment". Have not been to Magdalena in a while, but the Golden Spur is likely the only place that serves alcohol there. Hope all of you nomads have good travels on your return to Baja. Sold my place in the Orchard in July. (whew)

chuckie - 11-24-2014 at 12:16 PM

I may be in a couple of the pics at the spur, if you check the old timers section...I would be the handsome fellow with the beautiful girl ...

bajabuddha - 11-24-2014 at 12:20 PM

"Land of Enchantment" is what the signs say, but we call it the "Land of Entrapment". Very heavy State Police presence here, good and bad. Word to the wise, do NOT speed here either... anywhere.

And Chuckie, I re-stocked the Vermouth.

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by bajabuddha]