BajaNomad

Butternut Squash Chipolte Bisque

Santiago - 11-30-2014 at 12:00 PM

[I]It's been a few years since I've posted this recipe; we made it a few days ago and it's a great change from the turkey leftovers.[/I]

Butternut Squash Chipotle Bisque
INGREDIENTS
1 medium butternut squash
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
˝ cup chopped celery
˝ cup chopped carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
4-6 cups chicken broth
3 teaspoons minced, canned chipotle in adobo, divided use
˝ cup Mexican crema
Salt & freshly ground pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out seeds, discarding pulp. Put seeds in a sieve and rinse; set aside.
2. Grease a glass baking dish with 1 tables spoon of oil, then place the squash in the dish, cut side down. Pierce all over with a fork and roast 45 minutes or until tender; let cool.
3. Heat remaining oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, celery and carrot for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more.
4. Scoop out the flesh of the squash into the pot and stir. Add 4 cups of broth and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
5. Meanwhile, toast the seeds in a small pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until crunchy, about 30 minutes. Season heavily with salt and set aside.
6. Puree the soup in batches in a blender, adding more broth to get the desired consistency. In a separate bowl, stir 1 teaspoon of the minced chipotle into the crema. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Stir the remaining 2 teaspoons chipotle into the bisque and ladle into soup bowls. Top each with a dollop of crema and a sprinkling of seeds.

Notes: 2 teaspoons of chipotle made the soup too hispanicy for some people. Had the soup 2 days later and the heat increased dramatically.

bajaguy - 11-30-2014 at 12:25 PM

You may want to let the mixture cool a bit before you put it in the blender to puree it.......been there, done that. Quite impressive.

Whale-ista - 11-30-2014 at 12:59 PM

Thanks for this- I love a good soup recipe when the rains finally arrive and the weather cools!

I normally use curry with butternut squash. I'll try the chipotle to mix things up and bring a little more heat. Thanks for warning that the heat intensifies over time.

Re:using blender for hot soup prep- if you prepare them often, one of the most useful kitchen items I have bought in recent years is a submersible hand blender. I use it with soups like this one, directly in the cooking pot, and avoid blender mishaps w/hot liquids.

(Found it at CostCo, made by Cuisinart- good gift for friends who enjoy cooking.)

Noted

bajaguy - 11-30-2014 at 01:35 PM

Thanks for the equipment tip.

I have been using a rain slicker with hat and goggles......the flying asparagus soup adds color to the yellow slicker

Elena La Loca - 11-30-2014 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

(Found it at Costco, made by Cuisinart- good gift for friends who enjoy cooking.)

Thanks for the free advertisement. Our hard work's paying off (I say "our" cuz I know I'm not the only Costco employee on the board) - stock's at an all time high of $142.12..woot woot...but it's all due to people like YOU who spread the word! (have you HEARD the WORD of COSTCO TODAY? - hey, that's the employee magazine's title!!!) Hard to imagine that just 5 years ago when I got my free 25 shares for my 25 yrs - in addition to the gray name badge that matches my graying hair AND a lifetime membership - that it was only $47/share. (I digress! Hey it's because of Costco I get so much time off to enjoy BAJA - there, does THAT make it official?!?)

Looks like a good recipe & I've printed it out...'bout TIME I gave WB a break in the dinner department (that's one of HIS fields of expertise!)

(edited for punctuation...damn OCD)

[Edited on 12-1-2014 by Elena La Loca]

[Edited on 12-1-2014 by Elena La Loca]

Santiago - 11-30-2014 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

I have been using a rain slicker with hat and goggles......the flying asparagus soup adds color to the yellow slicker

The boys back in Northern Nevada will pay big bucks for that pix.:lol: