BajaNomad

Time from Mexicali to Tecate on US side vs Mexican side

BajaUtah - 12-11-2014 at 12:52 PM

I'll probably overnight in Calexico on my trip down to La Ribera in a few weeks. I'm towing a utility trailer so I'm going back and forth on going 5 South and doing the dirt to 1.

If I chicken out and head south on the 3 is it faster to do Calexico to Tecate on the US side and cross south at Tecate or faster to cross at Mexicali and head west on 2 on the Mexican side. I have my RT card so immigration is not an issue but will be declaring a trailer full of household items.

Gracias in advance.

Curious if I get any burro insertions. Nope, not this time:cool:

TMW - 12-11-2014 at 12:58 PM

It will be faster on the US side. Getting thru Mexicali and out to the toll road depends on traffic etc.

AKgringo - 12-11-2014 at 01:30 PM

Besides being faster driving west on the US side of the border, gasoline is currently much cheaper in CA than Mexico.
Having said that, I would rather drive slowly picking a line through the rocks on the thirty plus miles of unpaved highway five than do the drive down through Ensenada.
I drove north on Highway five just before Thanksgiving pulling a utility trailer without much trouble. If your trailer tires are large enough, and the load not too heavy, I would drop the pressure to soften the ride. There is a tire shop at Gonzaga Bay, and another one at the junction with Highway 1.
If you go that way, watch out for the 'vados' on the old pavement south of San Felipe. They could launch a trailer!

Tioloco - 12-11-2014 at 07:51 PM

5 south. Much less stress and can slow down and have a cold one with Coco.

Justbozo - 12-11-2014 at 09:06 PM

I hopefully have made my last trip thru Ensenada/San Quintin!

I'll take my chances with dirt and rock over traffic and topes!

If you go Tecate and want to cross early I would recommend staying at the Back Country Inn. I've stayed there. It's as close to Tecate as you can get as well as being just off I-8. Remodeled and clean.

Link http://www.backcountrymotel.com/

This time of year watch the winding road for frost on cold mornings. It can be slick. The colder it is, the quicker you will get across the border with a trailer full. Been there.

bajalearner - 12-12-2014 at 10:49 AM

I drove with my utility trailer from Tecate to Tijuana recently and paid a huge toll and the one toll plaza on that route. It was around 17 dollars! (I don't remember exactly the toll amount) I'm guessing all the toll roads are going to be double the single car toll.

I'm thinking I remember it was 201 pesos. So about 15. dollars.

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by bajalearner]

EnsenadaDr - 12-15-2014 at 09:31 PM

I have lived in Tecate and taken the road through La Rumorosa which is very winding and slows you way down, vs. the US route to El Centro/Calexico. On Monday mornings, the Tecate crossing however to the US is an hour and a half to 2 hours so I would take the Mexican side to Mexicali and cross there. However, barring border waits especially going back in the afternoon, you cannot beat the US side for driving conditions and time saved.

SC2BAJA - 12-16-2014 at 10:03 PM

I would not tow any trailer down the dirt on the 5. Lots of road construction south of Gonzaga and sharp rocks through the mountains last month. I heard there was a broken down semi stuck for days blocking the road south of cocos a few months back. Lots of heavy equipment and mining machinery going down that road. Take the pavement and save your poor trailer. Mex 1 is getting wider and safer every year. If not have an axel, springs, shackels, wheels and tires on stand by!

bajabuddha - 12-17-2014 at 12:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SC2BAJA  
I would not tow any trailer down the dirt on the 5. Lots of road construction south of Gonzaga and sharp rocks through the mountains last month. I heard there was a broken down semi stuck for days blocking the road south of cocos a few months back. Lots of heavy equipment and mining machinery going down that road. Take the pavement and save your poor trailer. Mex 1 is getting wider and safer every year. If not have an axel, springs, shackels, wheels and tires on stand by!

DITTO. This has been beaten to death on these boards; if you have a heavy loaded trailer or camping RV, DON'T do the dirt Gonzaga/Chapala. Or, pay the price, your choice. When they get it done, fine... but that 25+ miles will take its' toll, I promise. U.S., freeway to Tecate, TP-1 south. No Question.

If by chance you do try the dirt, air down tires, and when you get to Chapala immediately get out and check ALL welds, springs, shackles, etc, and re-fill you tires to normal PSI. Buena suerte, y via con Dios.

BajaRat - 12-17-2014 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Besides being faster driving west on the US side of the border, gasoline is currently much cheaper in CA than Mexico.
Having said that, I would rather drive slowly picking a line through the rocks on the thirty plus miles of unpaved highway five than do the drive down through Ensenada.
I drove north on Highway five just before Thanksgiving pulling a utility trailer without much trouble. If your trailer tires are large enough, and the load not too heavy, I would drop the pressure to soften the ride. There is a tire shop at Gonzaga Bay, and another one at the junction with Highway 1.
If you go that way, watch out for the 'vados' on the old pavement south of San Felipe. They could launch a trailer!

Yep, and what Tio said.
The dirt is more than doable. Decent trailer, tires, suspension, tow vehicle, driver and time to avoid the unexpected, those are your limitations.
A mans gotta know his limitations, bien viaje :cool: