BajaNomad

Naranjos Road, Baja Sur

Jack Swords - 12-13-2014 at 04:36 PM

Any current info on the Naranjos road between Ranch Nuevo and the airport? After the hurricane info...passable? Thanks.

AKgringo - 12-15-2014 at 03:52 PM

Sorry I can't be of any help, I have no idea where that road is. I am always interested in finding scenic, challenging roads/trails to explore, so maybe bumping this thread will bring in some info.
Where is that road, and is it a good drive?

David K - 12-15-2014 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Sorry I can't be of any help, I have no idea where that road is. I am always interested in finding scenic, challenging roads/trails to explore, so maybe bumping this thread will bring in some info.
Where is that road, and is it a good drive?

The road that crosses over the sierra from just north of the Los Cabos Airport/ San Jose del Cabo to just south of El Pescadero/ Todos Santos:

[Edited on 12-15-2014 by David K]

AKgringo - 12-15-2014 at 04:14 PM

Thanks D.K.! That trail just moved to the top of my 'Where am I gonna go next' list when I get back down there this spring. Spring and fall are for touring, winter is for skiing!
Now I also am asking, is it passable?

David K - 12-15-2014 at 04:15 PM

Motoged posted photos of it not long ago... stand by and I will find them. It was built as an engineering nightmare with every rain washing it out.

David K - 12-15-2014 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Motoged posted photos of it not long ago... stand by and I will find them. It was built as an engineering nightmare with every rain washing it out.

Ged added this in my 2012 Trip Report thread:

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David,
I think it is a great report :saint:
And am glad you two are going further south than usual....

Drive the Rancho Naranja road from north of the San Jose del Cabo airport west to just south of Todos Santos....your Taco will thank you for it :light: :coolup:

Always wanted to do that road
Do you have photos?

David,
Here are some pics of that road....starting from the highway north of the airport....looking west:

Some water...

Up top...

The Pacific...

Coming out on the west side from the mountains (heading west)...

One of the beer stops in Todos Santos...

And a place there where you HAVE to eat :cool:

Cappy - 12-15-2014 at 04:24 PM

I was riding up there a few weeks ago. Made it from Cerritos to the river. The river was probably 1 meter deep and flowing pretty good. I think that's about 1/2way. I was by myself and didn't want to chance the crossing. Beside that roads are fine. Great greenery. Go enjoy

AKgringo - 12-15-2014 at 04:32 PM

Please tell me that photos #4, #5 were taken FROM the road! I have driven some mean trails but that seems out of my league.

David K - 12-15-2014 at 04:36 PM

Please tell me that photos #4, #5 were taken FROM the road! I have driven some mean trails but that seems out of my league.

Ged was showing some water falls from the road... It is designed to be passable by pickup truck, 4WD only in bad weather. Do you want to see where it is described shortly after being built? (1980's?)

[Edited on 12-15-2014 by David K]

AKgringo - 12-15-2014 at 04:45 PM

D.K., I didn't really think that was the trail, after all Motoged did say your Tacoma would love it. It is a rainy Monday and I felt like playing.
Where is that description?

The Naranjas Road

David K - 12-15-2014 at 04:47 PM

D.K., I didn't really think that was the trail, after all Motoged did say your Tacoma would love it. It is a rainy Monday and I felt like playing.
Where is that description?

Yes, the rain is coming (still dry in San Diego)...

From Walt Petersen's 1987 edition of The Baja Adventure Book...

[/URL]

[Edited on 12-16-2014 by David K]

Jack Swords - 12-15-2014 at 06:46 PM

Good info, but having done the road several other times, looking for current info since the last hurricane. Doing the area N of La Paz in a week or so, then San Antonio de la Sierra, then hopefully the Naranjas road. The San Jacinto River is flowing well from Sierra de la Laguna across the Naranjas road now. That is the location of a visita of La Paz that sheltered folks when the locals made life dangerous for missions in Todos Santos and La Paz.

David, I believe you have my photos of the ruins....??

4x4abc - 12-15-2014 at 07:22 PM

Naranjas is a challenging 2WD road - and a very easy 4WD highway. Beautiful scenery!

Floatflyer - 12-16-2014 at 07:43 AM

My wife and I drove the Naranjas road in Jan of 2013 in our Ford Explorer. There had not been any significant erosion damage for quite sometime and I stated that 2 whd was possible driving from east to west, IMO, it would be a real b-tch going west to east because of the need to go very slowly over some areas that were uphill. For current conditions, I can't comment.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65198#pid7882...

David K - 12-16-2014 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
My wife and I drove the Naranjas road in Jan of 2013 in our Ford Explorer. There had not been any significant erosion damage for quite sometime and I stated that 2 whd was possible driving from east to west, IMO, it would be a real b-tch going west to east because of the need to go very slowly over some areas that were uphill. For current conditions, I can't comment.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65198#pid7882...

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
A week ago yesterday my wife, dog, and I decided to get away from the cloudy and windy East Cape for awhile. We decided to drive over the Sierra de La Laguna Mountains. We got to the intersection of Mex 1 and the dirt road which is just north of the San Jose Prison turn off. There is a cloth sign there that says "Presa La Palma". We headed west at about 10:30am on this wide and smoothly graded dirt road. You could easily drive a passenger car on this western side of the mountain road. It seems this road is the access for the construction of a dam in the lower foothills. Numerous groups of workers are installing re-enforced concrete linings to many vados to prevent runoff damage.

You continue up this nice road for approximately 9 miles and here you will see another cloth sign "Presa La Palma" with an arrow pointing to the right. The road takes a 90 degree turn and appears to head downward towards the dam site which I could only see some dirt work a mile or so away. We continued to straight and went over a small hump and started downward on a more "normal" Mexican one lane + dirt back road. At this point I was still saying a decent driver in a passenger car would be fine. I had talked to a guy who had recently taken his motorcyle over this road and he issued a few cautions. I took a shovel and a big pry bar with me in our Explorer just in case.

We continued down this road with no problems until about 16.4 miles into the trip. Here we encountered the first signs of road damage, still not a problem

Next we started encontering run off caused ruts that were going down hill for 30-40 feet, maybe 12-15" deep and I needed to slow way down to get thru them. I did not need 4 wd but used low range to help brake as I went thru them. NOW I would recommend that a high clearance vehicle would be a good idea. If you goofed up you could get hi centered. Coming out of some of these ruts you needed to go up rough little grades and 4 wd makes this easier at a slower speed. Without 4wd you would have to accelerate up these and get bounced around a bit, your choice.

These conditions continue on and off for the next 4.5 miles roughly, 20.9 miles from the Mex 1 intersection.

The next semi challenge is when you reach Rancho El Aguaje. Here you "t-bone" into a dirt road and have the choice of going left or right. There is a sign that names the ranch. I was told to go right or you will wander around for hours, I don't know, I went right! By this time you are on basically flat terrain.

From here it is just a matter of following a fairly nice dirt road, and now, passenger car friendly. You have to make an educated guess on a couple of forks but really it isn't very hard to pick the main road. You hit Mex 19 right across the street from Rancho Nuevo, a development south of Cerritios and Todos Santos.

Total distance 32.9 miles and for us 2:45 min. We only stopped for a pee stop or two and a taking some pictures. I did not drive fast nor did I drive slow. I would say I drove at a comfortable and safe speed. The 2 spots I would think about if I had a longer wheel based vehicle was in going around a couple large 2'x4' boulders that had rolled onto the road. I was a little careful not to scrape the side of my car. We are not thrill seekers! Both my wife and I agree that this trip had no life threatening experiences but a bit of caution is needed. IF one was to travel from west to east a serious 4wd vehicle would be needed to uphill thru the rough spots. I would not go that direction. Overall, the east half of the trip was very easy for anybody and had the prettiest scenery. The west side is definitely more challenging and 4wd would be best. If you were a very experienced off road driver and had a high clearance vehicle you probably be ok.

I had looked at the route on Google Earth before the trip and had a general idea of where I was going. I wrote down some GPS #s at some intersections and that was ok, pretty much a double check I was going in the right direction but not a mandatory need.

So, we probably won't do this every year, for us it is like the coast road from La Ribera to San Jose, fine every other year or so. The eastern part of the drive would be a nice picnic trip, no stress. Hope this helps out. FF

Wonderful to hear... thanks!

(I hope I fixed some of your photo links... there was some double http:// in a few)

David K - 12-16-2014 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Good info, but having done the road several other times, looking for current info since the last hurricane. Doing the area N of La Paz in a week or so, then San Antonio de la Sierra, then hopefully the Naranjas road. The San Jacinto River is flowing well from Sierra de la Laguna across the Naranjas road now. That is the location of a visita of La Paz that sheltered folks when the locals made life dangerous for missions in Todos Santos and La Paz.

David, I believe you have my photos of the ruins....??

Yes, on page 9 of your history photo web pages: http://www.vivabaja.com/swords/page9.html

Visita at San Jacinto, B.C.S.

Jack Swords and Edward Vernon were following the directions of author Tomas Robertson,
seeking the Jesuit chapel at San Jacinto. According to Robertson's book 'Baja California and its Missions'
c1978 La Siesta Press on page 48, they would find it between Todos Santos and Cabo San Lucas.

N 23°14.57', W 110°04.62' (NAD27)

4x4abc - 1-11-2016 at 02:17 AM

I drove the Los Naranjos road on Sunday
it is in bad shape, but they are in the process of fixing it
at the moment it is a rough and slow drive
easy stretches alternating with badly washed out sections
very few tire tracks - mainly MC and quads

couldn't find any access to the San Jacinto ruins

motoged - 1-11-2016 at 11:59 AM

My pics were taken in 2008.....the more recent pics above show some of the "improvements" (wider, some cement). First time I rode it by moto was 1994......some "ruts" could have swallowed a VW bug :o

Love the road and area....the pics DK put up of mine were all taken while on the road....the water was near the east side of the pass where there are homes ....maybe the rancho they are referring to.....

As Harald said, a beautiful area to see and worth the drive.

elskel - 1-11-2016 at 05:58 PM

I'd like to drive it in a couple of weeks. What were you driving and was there still quite a bit of water up there?
Thanks, bk

4x4abc - 1-11-2016 at 09:13 PM

it was bone dry up there

some of the washouts will not be passable by a full size truck (too wide)

I was driving a G500
track width 60"

barely made it in terms of width 2 times

starting at the airport side will be easier

PaulW - 1-12-2016 at 07:40 AM

We spent the night in Pescadero on 12/26 and drove the road to Del Cabo on the 27th. Road is slow with minor washouts. Worse on the west side. Had to use low range in a couple of steep places, but mostly 1st gear was good enough. Enjoyed the drive and the great views. Followed the NORRA track and provided the NORRA guys with updates via the NORRA Msat units we were using.
Road is good enough for most SUVs with adequate clearance. Probably not so good if the road is wet.
Rigs for this trip were an extended cab Raptor and my extended cab long bed F350. A couple of 3 point turns for my rig and washouts were not an issue.
I cannot see “Naranjas”on the map . Please enlighten me.

4x4abc - 1-12-2016 at 02:15 PM

4 different places in Baja Sur named Los Naranjos

one is a community on the east side of the Los Naranjos road

David K - 1-12-2016 at 03:59 PM

Good find Harald! I looked at the INEGI and Almanac topos and didn't see that. What map is this one?

motoged - 1-12-2016 at 04:18 PM

Good find Harald! I looked at the INEGI and Almanac topos and didn't see that. What map is this one?

Yah...I wuz wundrin, too :?:

4x4abc - 1-12-2016 at 05:27 PM

Yah...I wuz wundrin, too :?:

Mapa E32

https://www.facebook.com/Cartografia-GPS-Mapa-E32-1170061016...

PaulW - 1-12-2016 at 06:24 PM

Harald, Thanks for the input I would never have found the place without your post. I am very unfamiliar with the IGENI BCS maps, but after a while I found my way. I did find the place on IGENI F12B44. For looking on Google earth find the place close to 23 13.052, -109 52.122. Seems to be a resort??? with lots of buildings.
I grabbed a couple of screen shots for the place

4x4abc - 1-12-2016 at 11:11 PM

it's a Buddhist retreat today

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81207

motoged - 1-13-2016 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Mapa E32

Thanks, Harald.....I use that on my GPS but haven't gotten into it enough to view it on the computer as my version was the e-mail download dedicated to my GPS serial #....will play around with that one of these days.

Best map for Baja nad Mexico in my experience....limited as it is.

pacsur - 3-10-2018 at 01:28 PM

Any current updates on road?

pacsur - 3-10-2018 at 01:30 PM

Any current updates on road?

TMW - 3-10-2018 at 03:28 PM

Mapa E32

Thanks, Harald.....I use that on my GPS but haven't gotten into it enough to view it on the computer as my version was the e-mail download dedicated to my GPS serial #....will play around with that one of these days.

Best map for Baja nad Mexico in my experience....limited as it is.

If you have E32 loaded in your GPS you can connect it to you PC and if you have Garmin BaseCamp loaded on your PC you can view the E32 maps. Just zoom in for better quality of definition and elevation contours.

pacificobob - 3-10-2018 at 04:32 PM

i have done it on motorbikes since Odile. no problem narrow where it counts for a full size PU.

elskel - 3-12-2018 at 07:57 AM

I was up there 4 of months ago on quads, the top was really torn up. It was not passable with a vehicle. I will check with a friend who went up on a quad a few weeks ago and report back.

pacsur - 7-3-2018 at 05:53 PM

Any current updates?

matthew_mangus - 10-9-2019 at 12:07 PM

bumping this back to the top as I have it on my route for an upcoming trip. Any updates for 2019?

4x4abc - 10-9-2019 at 01:05 PM

how about you do the update
it'll be a fun trip!

matthew_mangus - 10-9-2019 at 04:15 PM

how about you do the update
it'll be a fun trip!

Likely possibility. :)
Doesn't seem like this road sees much action.

We'll be coming from Cerritos and looking to drop a few folks at the airport on time before continuing on to Cabo Pulmo, so I'll need to have the confidence that we can at least get through before risking the possibility of missed flights.

4x4abc - 10-9-2019 at 05:54 PM

that's a combination I would not risk

matthew_mangus - 10-10-2019 at 10:44 AM

that's a combination I would not risk

Copy that. I'll likely send a group to do airport drop-off / pick-up duties and on into town to re-provision while a few trucks run Naranjos.

JZ - 10-10-2019 at 06:25 PM

David K - 10-10-2019 at 06:35 PM

It's on the AAA map.

[Edited on 10-11-2019 by David K]

JZ - 10-10-2019 at 06:45 PM

Just tried to map it out on GE. Does this look about right? Looks to be about 37 miles. Lots and lots of turns. Man, it looks fun.

Where is the water crossing?

Attachment: Naranjos Trail.kmz (5kB)
This file has been downloaded 191 times

[Edited on 10-11-2019 by JZ]

JZ - 10-10-2019 at 10:10 PM

What is this?

23.218706 -109.869123

David K - 10-10-2019 at 10:28 PM

There is a Buddhist temple or something like that up there, I recall reading.

aburruss - 10-10-2019 at 10:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Just tried to map it out on GE. Does this look about right? Looks to be about 37 miles. Lots and lots of turns. Man, it looks fun.

Where is the water crossing?

[Edited on 10-11-2019 by JZ]

JZ, what you mapped out was almost the exact course that last year's NORRA Mexican 1000 ran for the last leg into San Jose Del Cabo. (The difference is that the race course came in from the north, not in from HWY 19 south of Cerritos/El Pescadero like your track does).

You are right that there are LOTS and LOTS of turns.

In our car, it was my least favorite section of the entire race, due to the white-knuckle-factor. Way too narrow and slippery of a road to be going FAST in a WIDE, high HP, 2WD vehicle. If I was on a bike or a UTV, it would have been a kick in the shorts. If you're just driving it on a cruising pace, it's probably fine, but it's definitely not a nice smooth graded road.

There are some very narrow sections, some big drops off the side of the road, and some loose rock sections that get a little slippery.

There were no water crossings that I recall, but there were a few washes. The road book from the race doesn't call out any water crossings either. I guess based on time of year, the "wash" may be a "water crossing" :P

If anyone wants the road book with all the cautions/dips/jumps/washes/etc for this section, here's a link https://app.box.com/s/1ftk366s58gm0mlh8bcw49z38p48ue7l

The race course picks up to JZs track at about marker 34 in the book (the bottom of page 5).

day5.jpg - 242kB

[Edited on 10-11-2019 by aburruss]

JZ - 10-10-2019 at 11:08 PM

Thanks bud. Do you think I'd have any problems taking my 2500 Silverado through there?

PaulW - 10-11-2019 at 07:28 AM

Coupe of years back I followed a Raptor and drove my F350 on that road. No issues except a couple of tight turns - no 3 point.

Marty Mateo - 12-7-2019 at 02:08 PM

Been on it twice so far since arriving in November on a dirt bike.Only ridden to the top of the pass from Pescadero so far. Passed a guy in a Toyota rental car about half way up going east and then saw him at almost the top. Rode a few days after the big rain and it was rutted more but better than I thought it would be. Anyone know if the reservoir is being filled up this year? It was very low last fall/ winter and a fun route when heading to the east side.
Cheers, Marty

JZ - 12-7-2019 at 03:26 PM

Good info Marty.

We where planning to try it about 2 weeks ago. The plan was to do the coastal run from Southwest of La Paz to Los Barriles, and then do Naranjos the next day.

The trail to get to the coast was a mess. Tons of rocks and very rough. Sure enough we ripped the sidewall out. Made it down the coast, but went back to La Paz with our tails between or legs.

The next day it absolutely poured rain, so we weren't going to make it anyway.

Really want to do this trail soon. Maybe in December.

Fernweh - 12-8-2019 at 09:36 AM

We just drove that road on Dec 4th, after the big rain storm, from the Hwy 1 going West. The first part to the Sierra was nicely graded, then we noticed very recent dozer tracks. A few Km up the grade, we finally passed a working Caterpillar, and the drive became more interesting. The rain had left deep ruts in the dirt road, but easy to navigate through. You could tell, that the road had been maintained over the years, and I noticed many concrete sections/culverts since my last drive in 2009 on that road.
Towards the top, the road got much narrower, and had not seen a dozer/grader in a long time. We encountered many washouts now, and three of them were quiet restrictive for larger vehicles, like a full size trucks. That road damage would be not easy to repair, in narrow turns with steep drop offs. It was very apparent, only few recent tire tracks, which indicated not much vehicle traffic here. The now western portion of that road was less severe damaged, compared to the eastern section. A few Km further the road got recently graded again, all the way to the Cabo - Todo Santos Highway.
Overall, a very pleasant afternoon drive through the lush green Sierra Laguna mountains.

David K - 12-8-2019 at 09:40 AM

Nice report, Karl!

tiotomasbcs - 12-9-2019 at 06:05 PM

You're info is old! We had three major rainstorms with up to 4/5 inches in 24 hrs! Last one about 3 weeks ago. I'm sure it's passable but rough on Pacific side...Eastern side, Cabo county $$, is normally well maintained!

gnukid - 12-9-2019 at 06:25 PM

No es un buen opcion

AKgringo - 12-9-2019 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
You're info is old!

Old info? Fernweh's report was from Dec 4th!

JZ - 12-9-2019 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
We just drove that road on Dec 4th, after the big rain storm, from the Hwy 1 going West. The first part to the Sierra was nicely graded, then we noticed very recent dozer tracks. A few Km up the grade, we finally passed a working Caterpillar, and the drive became more interesting. The rain had left deep ruts in the dirt road, but easy to navigate through. You could tell, that the road had been maintained over the years, and I noticed many concrete sections/culverts since my last drive in 2009 on that road.
Towards the top, the road got much narrower, and had not seen a dozer/grader in a long time. We encountered many washouts now, and three of them were quiet restrictive for larger vehicles, like a full size trucks. That road damage would be not easy to repair, in narrow turns with steep drop offs. It was very apparent, only few recent tire tracks, which indicated not much vehicle traffic here. The now western portion of that road was less severe damaged, compared to the eastern section. A few Km further the road got recently graded again, all the way to the Cabo - Todo Santos Highway.
Overall, a very pleasant afternoon drive through the lush green Sierra Laguna mountains.

How difficult for a 2500 Chevy?

Marty Mateo - 12-9-2019 at 08:54 PM

Rode over and back from Pescadero to Miaflores yesterday. No problem for a vehicle with a bit of ground clearance going from east to west but the climb up going west to east would be best in a 4x4. If you were handy behind the wheel and didn’t care about thrashing your vehicle you could make it in anything . As said above there is a bulldozer doing some grading on the east side. The reservoir is filling up and we were unable to get through the usual routes .

Fernweh - 12-10-2019 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

How difficult for a 2500 Chevy?

Our Mercedes vehicles are a bit narrower than a full size truck, and the tight spaced washouts were a bit nerve wrecking......I would not tried it with my heavy F350.....