BajaNomad

good news - road open - bad news declaring alcohol at border

marv sherrill - 12-17-2014 at 06:39 PM

Just got back from BOLA today - road open and great - got worried when we could not find free road exit from Ensenada - As I posted a month ago, I finally bit the bullet and declared 3 cases of 2-buck chuck at the border - charge is 100% and you better have the receipt! Basic charge was $8.00 per bottle!! Also - only $50 per person importing anything - food etc - so - El Cetto Cava next time, and hide it well. A wonderful month cleaning up after the hurricane, fishing and exploring. Wind daily, but mostly sunny days! Whale shark sightings at the lighthouse-- in December???? Crazy - Marv

bajaguy - 12-17-2014 at 06:46 PM

If you buy wine at the LA Cetto Cava in Ensenada and head south why do you have "to hide it well"????

BajaBlanca - 12-17-2014 at 07:24 PM

yes, the rules are changing because a friend also recently ended up paying a tax on 2 buck chuck - no receipt but each bottle came to $5

which is still a great deal.

Bob H - 12-17-2014 at 07:59 PM

No charge for three bottles per person. If you have more, you may have to pay...

wine or hard liq?

akshadow - 12-17-2014 at 08:37 PM

last Feb. at East border Mexicali the inspector said I would have to pay on wine bottles over three. Then supervisor walked by and said no, the limit is 6 litre for wine, but 3 on hard liquor. Wonder if this has changed? Or your inspector or my supervisor was wrong??

Quote: Originally posted by Bob H  
No charge for three bottles per person. If you have more, you may have to pay...

MICK - 12-18-2014 at 08:21 AM

Every border agent is different. I have been across in Mexicali thru the declare line 3 times in the last two months (Guns and ammo) and each time they had different amounts of beer we could bring from 6 bottles each to 9 to 12. Maybe it just keeps going up. I think it depends on the person and the day.
Good Luck
Mick

Hook - 12-18-2014 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
last Feb. at East border Mexicali the inspector said I would have to pay on wine bottles over three. Then supervisor walked by and said no, the limit is 6 litre for wine, but 3 on hard liquor. Wonder if this has changed? Or your inspector or my supervisor was wrong??

Quote: Originally posted by Bob H  

The 6/3 liter limit is still the current regulation.

But it can help to point out that most wine bottles are 750ml, so you might be able to get away with eight bottles. Depends on the agent.

mikeymarlin - 12-18-2014 at 09:02 AM

so--- explain to me ---- how much hard liquor per person going SOUTH !!!
thanks, mike

bajaguy - 12-18-2014 at 09:46 AM

Although those above responses sound like dealing with US CBP, they are referring to entering Mexico

Quote: Originally posted by Mikemarlin  
so--- explain to me ---- how much hard liquor per person going SOUTH !!!
thanks, mike

Martyman - 12-18-2014 at 10:28 AM

2 buck BLECCCH! How can you drink that swill?

bajabuddha - 12-18-2014 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  

...one sip at a time.... :cool:

willardguy - 12-18-2014 at 10:46 AM

always gotta be one.......:no:

Bob53 - 12-18-2014 at 11:47 AM

I'm glad you had a great trip. Thanks for the update. I'll be heading down there right after Christmas.

bajaguy - 12-18-2014 at 11:58 AM

Hey, don't bad mouth Two-Buck Chuck. With the duties/taxes it works out to $7 - $10 a bottle

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2014 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Hey, don't bad mouth Two-Buck Chuck. With the duties/taxes it works out to $7 - $10 a bottle

if you are so poor you resort to drinking 2 buck chuck, which is so bad that 1 in 3 bottles is undrinkable and gets poured down kitchen drain, then you should stick to bottom shelf hard liquor for your cheap buzz

Cliffy - 12-18-2014 at 12:53 PM

Beringer White Zin is better than $2Belch isn't it? :-)

willardguy - 12-18-2014 at 12:59 PM

Marv likes it. Isn't that all that really matters?:light:

Cliffy - 12-18-2014 at 01:16 PM

Drink what you like is my motto, $2/gllon jug wine or $200/bottle FU FU wine Who cares but the drinker

marv sherrill - 12-18-2014 at 01:34 PM

I just serve it to my guests from a real expensive bottle.....

bajabuddha - 12-18-2014 at 01:40 PM

WORLD'S 4TH GREATEST LIE (never made the 'Top-3' list):

"I drink for the taste".

Personally, I have an Old Bushmills appetite on a Canadian Mist budget. ;)

Hook - 12-18-2014 at 03:30 PM

The hard hooch is three liters, going south. But almost every kind of hard hooch is available down here, though more expensive. Especially if you have access to a Sams, Walmart or Costco. I dont bother with the hooch much, coming south. Finding decent, reasonably priced wines is the challenge down here. That's what I maximize (and then some!)

I have had two Aduana guys at Nogales tell me that they really dont care if the hard hooch bottles are 1.75 liter bottles. Just three bottles. That could be just how THEY personally enforce it.

The Kirkland pinot grigio is 72 pesos and the Kirkland Sonoma County Chard is 90 pesos. At 14/1, that's pretty reasonable. In fact, I like ALL the Kirkland wines I have tried. They are an amazing value. Not worth smuggling two buck Chuck, to me.

marv sherrill - 12-18-2014 at 07:39 PM

That is a great idea - I didn't realize that they sold Kirlkland wine at Mex Costco's - I agree - forget the 2 buck chuck! - I 'll try that next time.

bajalearner - 12-19-2014 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I have had two Aduana guys at Nogales tell me that they really dont care if the hard hooch bottles are 1.75 liter bottles. Just three bottles. That could be just how THEY personally enforce it.

But I buy my fine wines in a box??? :O

bajabuddha - 12-19-2014 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  

May I suggest "creative packing". I always leave out 2 - 3 bottles of my favorite whiskey that costs more for a 5th in Mulege than buying a half-gallon here, and if/when asked I promptly show them to customs. Now I would NEVER suggest breaking the law and smuggling more than legally allowed, but most RVs have nooks and crannies well-suited for....... stuff.

I'm totally satisfied with Oso Negro for their purposes, and Mexican wines are just fine with me so it's just the Blended Whiskey I tend to .....ermm.... stock in quantity. Ya takes yer chances.

Martyman - 12-19-2014 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

always gotta be one.......:no:

One what? One person with working taste buds?
There are some nice Nebbiolos down there if you look around.

bajalearner - 12-19-2014 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  

May I suggest "creative packing".
I would take that advice but one of the big things I like about the box is that it's air tight and stays that way while using. So it lasts a long time. I have 3 different boxes in the fridge now so I can drink the wine I have a taste for.

I will just takes my chances...

Hook - 12-20-2014 at 06:42 AM

Next trip down, I am going to add box wines to the list, too, but they stay in the boxes, for how they keep. They might not be recognized as wine at all. I do travel in a camper with a few nooks and crannies.

Particularly like the box wine that Target has an exclusive on. Believe they are called The Cube. The Chard is from Trinchero, a Napa winery (though, who knows if it is Napa grapes; I doubt it) and is pretty good.

Oso Negro is fine in mixed drinks but it's not great in a martini, even a sucio martini. For that, we turn to Absolut or Smirnoff.

Canada and the US are starting to distill some very good vodkas that are inexpensive. Go by your local Total Wine and ask about them. They are probably from grain, not potatoes, but they are good.

durrelllrobert - 12-20-2014 at 07:53 AM

Next trip down, I am going to add box wines to the list, too, but they stay in the boxes, for how they keep. They might not be recognized as wine at all. I do travel in a camper with a few nooks and crannies.

Particularly like the box wine that Target has an exclusive on. Believe they are called The Cube. The Chard is from Trinchero, a Napa winery (though, who knows if it is Napa grapes; I doubt it) and is pretty good.

Oso Negro is fine in mixed drinks but it's not great in a martini, even a sucio martini. For that, we turn to Absolut or Smirnoff.

Canada and the US are starting to distill some very good vodkas that are inexpensive. Go by your local Total Wine and ask about them. They are probably from grain, not potatoes, but they are good.
Calimax now sell Black Box wines from the US (at least in Ensenada).

bajaguy - 12-20-2014 at 08:56 AM

The COSTCO premium vodka is just as good or better than Grey Goose