BajaNomad

US Surfer-Tourist truck jacked

Pages:  1  2

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

what was YOUR first post? should we just assume it too was a lie?

No my first post was not a lie, but I was accused of lying, by many of good people on "Baja Nomad." Feel free to read my first post, as I provided a link. I had to earn my respect, or disrespect like anybody else here.

The fact is, if anybody is going to troll, or back themselves up, they do it with a second handle, and that alone, makes first time posters very suspect, especially if their first post is in a controversial topic.

In fact, I think Doug just issued a warning a few weeks, ago, about banning people who use second handles, and I know for a fact it's a problem on other forums, where somebody will used a second handle, to support themselves.

I'm not saying anybody is dong that here, but It's something I always look out for, and wonder about.

Did I make a wrong turn here. I though this was a Mexico Baja forum, not the Kansas, forum with Toto. Hey, I love Mexico, but you have to be very careful and skeptical in Mexico, or you will be taken advantage of.

Where I made my first post and wasn't treated very nicely by the good people here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=45360

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Number of posts does not equate to credibility or knowledge or believability IMEO. Being somewhat familiar (I do actually travel to Baja on occasion) with the changing social/economic 'climate' and ever increasing drug use problem in Mexico in general and BAJA in particular I have no problem believing that the incident happened as reported and I appreciate those taking the time to login and do so.
I use great caution to not take everything I read on the interwebs as gospel but try to use the little bit of experience and common sense that I posses to parse out what I take in and formulate my own opinion.

JJJ - do you ever travel south of TJ? Me thinks you have you head up your ass.

Oh I got your number Elgatoloco. You're one of those right-wing "tea bagger' types that listens to Michael Savage, and you don't believe in Global warning. My God, you don't believe in global warming, but you believe in everything else.

Here's your one of your posts here:

Whats Michael Savage's take on that? Dying to hear it.

You types, Elgatoloco, always want to believe the worse about Mexico, so of course, you're going to believe this story. Although, in this story, there are two or three things, you really have to wonder about.

1. How did Josie jump in the drivers side of her truck, when a Mexican man was already driving the truck?

2. Josie said, she was thrown from her truck, and her shoulder was hit by the back tire. How is that possible, without her suffering great bodily injury.

3. Josie is a young woman, would a young woman take on two car thieves have have three times the strength of the average woman?

You would think, a typical young woman in that situation, would be worried more about being raped and killed, than just her truck stolen.

So lets concentrate on the details, where stories seem to always fall apart, than if the story could have happened.

woody with a view - 1-3-2015 at 01:41 PM

JJJ, your questions are valid! i had the same thoughts. it just seems that 4-7th hand stories aren't very credible, especially when Josie doesn't chime in.

knowing the area, there would have been MANY gringos in close proximity and if Josie would have screamed bloody murder, someone would have come to investigate, chase the turds. i'm stumped on this fact alone and chose to not follow this thread for there.......

all that to say, El Gato is a sane guy, he enjoys many of the same places we do so i think it's fair to say, AHEM, (in my best Rodney King) "Can't we all get along?"

it ain't that serious.....

shari - 1-3-2015 at 02:24 PM

I heard the story from a very reliable friend of mine who knows Josie...apparently it was blowing hard offshore at that time and nobody heard the screams which is entirely plausible in that area. I believe Josie was truck jacked.

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I heard the story from a very reliable friend of mine who knows Josie...apparently it was blowing hard offshore at that time and nobody heard the screams which is entirely plausible in that area. I believe Josie was truck jacked.

There were no eyewitnesses. Remember according to Josie's story, it was high tide, and nobody could hear here screams. Another thing I find hard to believe.

It's amazing how many people have come forward and said Josie's story is true, when nobody actually witnessed what happened.

At best Shari, your very reliable friend, would be considered a third or fourth handed story or it would be considered hearsay in a court of law.

BTW, I want to know, how the alleged Mexican car hijacker, thieves have been made out to be meth tweakers? Josie, never mentioned drugs in her story.

I always thought most car thieves, especially the professional ones, were non-violent, who made their living doing this, and make it a point of not having weapons or drugs, in case they're caught.

Truck jack details

surfcolorado - 1-3-2015 at 03:02 PM

shari - 1-3-2015 at 03:05 PM

Joe, I highly doubt these thugs were pros...it is sooooo far to go just to jack an auto..pros would most likely work in bigger centers where more choices were available.

In these remote areas..most crimes like this are hard to hide...many are local tweakers known to the police but unless someone puts in a demanda with some evidence, there is nothing the local cops can do. Most people wont do that especially in the boonies as you have to go a long way away to put in the report and often make a couple trips and be available...which most gringos wont do.

Locals often wont report these guys either as they just dont want to risk being involved in any way in the drug problem. Many of the thugs are protected by cartels and wont do time anyway and it is costly to put a report in in time and gas with probably little results except you being branded a rat...so it is a problem we are all dealing with in the villages at times.

Details

surfcolorado - 1-3-2015 at 03:12 PM

Just posted a long reply and for some reason text didn't work.. In any case JJJ... Not a question as to if a court would accept 3rd or 4 the hand. This is about a horrible incident that did happen, yea when Josie showed up at my camp in Alex's van wrapped in a blanket naked underneath, bloody all over her head and face, tears steaming down her face, that kinda made me think it was real. Thanks Shari, at least someone has a good grasp of the situation.

More details

surfcolorado - 1-3-2015 at 03:29 PM

JJJ no one said they ever saw it, but to those of us who were there it clearly happened. So, details are only as good as Josie's story and recollection of the more minute details... One reason no one heard it besides the loud surf is it all went down in apx. 1 -1.5 minutes, super fast. Later the next day, one camp thought they remembered hearing a scream, but didn't get up in the middle if the night.... Yea I know, but that's what they said. Josie told me the story 2 different times, and it makes sense.
Josie is a tough committed young woman, and her first thoughts when she got out of the truck were to save her truck and not let them steal it... She tried to get the keys in the cab but as she was trying to get in/ wrestle/get keys, the guy had already gotten them, started the truck and drove off, throwing her down on her face and the rear driver wheel ran over her shoulder, breaking her collarbone, so JJJ she actually incurred pretty serious injury.
Josie made decisions in an instant, and didn't have much time to think... Clearly made some security mistakes, I.e. Keys readily available, and she knows that.
All I really want to do is be sure people take this seriously, and be aware that bad stuff can happen out there. Thanks again Shari

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfcolorado  
Just posted a long reply and for some reason text didn't work.. In any case JJJ... Not a question as to if a court would accept 3rd or 4 the hand. This is about a horrible incident that did happen, yea when Josie showed up at my camp in Alex's van wrapped in a blanket naked underneath, bloody all over her head and face, tears steaming down her face, that kinda made me think it was real. Thanks Shari, at least someone has a good grasp of the situation.

Why is Josie naked under the blanket?

Did the tweakers high on meth, rape Josie? You know tweakers high on meth have super human strength, one of them already had the ski mask, and baton, and the high tide was especially loud. But I guess these unprofessionals made out to be tweakers, were only after the truck.

Yet this lone female, mountain climber, takes on two Mexican dudes who were high on drugs, according to a few posters here. And I'm having a hard time figuring out how the rear tire, ran over Josie's shoulder, I wonder this every time I get in my car, because if I was thrown out of the car, the rear tires would miss me, unless I somehow got tangled under the car, in which case the injuries would be a lot more serious.

You're changing the story Surf Colorado, and if I was a police detective, I would jump all over that. At no time did Josie mention, she fought with the second guy over the truck keys. BTW who leaves their truck open, with the keys inside, and then goes to sleep in the back cab with a cover?

This is Josie's story, she posted, so unless you're Josie, don't change the facts from the story, and if Josie is telling a different version every time she tells the story, than that would make her suspect too.

Ok, thanks to Bud's posting, several of you have asked and I'm tired of telling the story over and over, so here it is: (Beware, this is a similar kind of thing to when you guys ask me "what's the craziest thing you've seen/done" at work; maybe you don't really want to hear the details.)

Sunday morning, 1am at a campsite on the beach in the Baja (others camped around me within 200' or so) I awaken in the back of my truck to another truck rallying up to within about a foot of my window. I sit bolt up right and the next thing I know the camper shell door is being rattled open by a guy in a ski mask swinging a baton and demanding "Da me los llaves!" (give me the keys). I recoil, screaming, farther back into the camper and tell him I don't have them (trying to stall, hoping for help from fellow campers, and truthfully, because the keys were stashed in the cab of the truck). I offer money, but also didn't have it handy. I grab the next best thing, my theracane, and knock him across the face with it, hoping to at least escape being enclosed in the truck. He jumps back, but then I here another voice and the engine started. His friend had found the keys. I jump out of the back and run screaming and swinging into the open driver's door. I know it was foolish, but I had just awoken from a deep sleep, was thoroughly confused and damn well wasn't just gonna LET him drive off with my truck and everything in it. Pedal to the metal, he rallied straight out of my site, over cobble stones and bushes, down a small embankment, sending me flying. The back tire collided with my shoulder, snapping my collar bone. No one had heard a sound until I ran right up to the next camp, yelling, begging for someone to please go after my truck. Whether it was dumb luck on their part, or it was well planned I'm not sure, but the waves were big that night and being camped within 20' of high tide line, you couldn't hear a thing over the roar of the surf. Searing pain dropped me to the ground. As my vision tunneled, darkness intermingled with flashes of bright color hallucinations, I put my hand to my shoulder to feel the lump of a bone at the wrong angle. Thoughts of the stuff I lost, were pushed aside by the realization of a ruined trip to Patagonia. The kind folks in the camp came out to help me, but all I distinctly remember saying was "my life is ruined."

My life isn't ruined, but this has certainly been testing my ability to maintain a positive attitude. The best part has been the kindness of my friends, and the realization that, though there may be some pretty f***ed up people in this world, there are many amazingly kind people that go out of there way to help out. I am fortunate to be surrounded by mostly the latter type. Thanks to all of the Baja crew, especially Jp Bowles and Alexander Bordes Evans for taking me to the hospital, enduring the maddening task of filing a police report in Mexico, and driving me to the border. And to Fibber, Mike B and Matt Sixsmith for entertaining me with plans of hunting down and hanging the banditos, housing me, and feeding me food, wine and painkillers. And to Andy Hoeckel for driving to San Diego for the stateside part of the SAR. That was a hell of a rescue boys!

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

surfcolorado - 1-3-2015 at 04:15 PM

Wow JJJ you are really something.... She was naked because they took her truck you knucklehead, she was sleeping that way... No rape, and yes indeed seems like they were just after the truck. JJJ... It's not my story you are correct, it doesn't really matter if YOU can't figure out exactly how she got hit by the truck, she ended up with a broken collarbone from the incident. And yes, she did try to " take on" 2 guys... Read the story idiot, she was tryin to not let her truck get stolen. Yes she did leave the keys in an unlocked cab and yes that was stupid... She knows that. All I'm trying to do is be sure people realize that chit DID happen out there.... And hopefully make people aware that what has felt like a pretty safe place for a long time may be changing even though JJJ doesn't THINK meth is much of a problem. And yes JJJ we do not know for certain the bad guys are meth users, they were probably just on the way home from Midnight Mass....

Hook - 1-3-2015 at 04:19 PM

Boy, JJJ just LIVES for this kind of repartee, don't he?

Of course, that's all we get from him. Nothing of any substance, involving his personal experiences in Mexico. No trip reports, no nothing.

Why is he even here, except to take exception to anything that makes Mexico look bad.............and blame it on a gringo?

He's the ultimate Nomad troll, really. Talking the talk, based on his internet perceptions of gringos in Mexico, but never walking the walk.

Geez, dude, get a life...............outside of an internet troll.

elgatoloco - 1-3-2015 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Of course, that's all we get from him. Nothing of any substance, involving his personal experiences in Mexico. No trip reports, no nothing.

Why is he even here, except to take exception to anything that makes Mexico look bad.............and blame it on a gringo?

He's the ultimate Nomad troll, really. Talking the talk, based on his internet perceptions of gringos in Mexico, but never walking the walk.

WORD!

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfcolorado  
Wow JJJ you are really something.... She was naked because they took her truck you knucklehead, she was sleeping that way... No rape, and yes indeed seems like they were just after the truck. JJJ... It's not my story you are correct, it doesn't really matter if YOU can't figure out exactly how she got hit by the truck, she ended up with a broken collarbone from the incident. And yes, she did try to " take on" 2 guys... Read the story idiot, she was tryin to not let her truck get stolen. Yes she did leave the keys in an unlocked cab and yes that was stupid... She knows that. All I'm trying to do is be sure people realize that chit DID happen out there.... And hopefully make people aware that what has felt like a pretty safe place for a long time may be changing even though JJJ doesn't THINK meth is much of a problem. And yes JJJ we do not know for certain the bad guys are meth users, they were probably just on the way home from Midnight Mass....

So let me get this straight, Josie was sleeping in the back of the cab buck naked. I know Baja is warmer than the rest of the USA, but I would think it still would be a little cold seeing the camp ground is next to the ocean, and it's winter.

Where it gets really unbelievable, is that anybody would put on that kind of fight, buck naked, especially a young woman!

My first instinct would be to reach for the clothes, before I would engage someone in a fight, but that's just me.

You know what I notice, not only Mexicans do drugs, but plenty of Americans do drugs too, and I'm thinking perhaps, some type of " Hallucinogenic mushrooms, were going on at this campground, and not only the Mexican car hijackers were high.

And again, Surf Colorado, you changed a material fact in the story, and that's always troubling.

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

You know what I notice on "Baja Nomad" is the members here badly need Mexican members, to provide a little balance. I'm Mexican-American, mostly American, because I live in the states, but I try to see both sides. But it's a shame no Mexican nationals like Jessie, post here to give the site a little balance.

What happens here, especially with the older ultra conservative types set in their ways. The want to see the worse in Mexicans, and the best in Americans, basically any American, they quickly side with.

This camping thief hijacking story has more holes in this story than Swiss cheese, yet 90 percent of the American ex-pats here are ready to believe this story without a doubt, and are quick to make the alleged car thieves into drug junkies, when there is no evidence drugs were being used, or this event even took place, except for a few anonymous first time posters, who claim it happened the way Josie wrote it, and then set up a donation site asking for money to replace Josie's truck that was stolen. That alone should rise red flags.

Howard - 1-3-2015 at 05:02 PM

Some people are just "mad as hell." If you don't feed a stray he won't come back.

To the people who reported this, thank you for your time of reporting this and especially for putting up with rude people. Most of us realize that posting this you had absolutely nothing to gain in doing so.

chuckie - 1-3-2015 at 05:22 PM

Seems as if y'all are beating this to death....The only person that was there was the girl..and the bad guys..everything else is BS

woody with a view - 1-3-2015 at 05:33 PM

Frank, you look like a biter!

just saying!

surfcolorado - 1-3-2015 at 08:54 PM

Agreed, beaten to death! She was in a sleeping bag you marooon, JJJ , and when she came out of the back, got out of that. and yes she still did try to "take em on".
Not my story, not trying to change anything. Small details don't matter, you read her story. I'm sure she didn't feel the need to stress the fact that she wasn't clothed, I probably shouldn't have said anything. People, be safe and keep your eyes open, have a fantastic fun new year, I'm going back to the wall end of jan thru few, anyone wants to say hello feel free... White bus....cold beer, no mushrooms, sorry JJj.

pappy - 1-4-2015 at 12:34 PM

a friend of mine and his newlywed wife spent 2 weeks in Baja on their honeymoon. went to the tip and back camping,surfing,exploring. I gave the some tips on where to go,etc. had the trip of a lifetime with one exception. It was around 10:30 am and they were just leaving la fonda to cross the border and head home. in the parking area they were held up at gunpoint. guy shot a round or two into the gravel to let them know he was serious. took their truck and everything in it-dog, surfboards, money,camp gear ,etc.

that did not make it on to any blogs,etc. so, the point is just because something isn't found on social media does not mean it didn't happen. btw, a couple months later they got a call from mexicalli police. they got their truck. they went and got it. everything was gone. it was merely a shell of a vehicle...

Howard - 1-4-2015 at 12:55 PM

Did they get their dog back? Hope so.

JoeJustJoe - 1-4-2015 at 02:00 PM

Really Soulpatch? I better say I believe these Soulpatch, stories or risk getting attacked. I can see you're a real tough guy from reading your two stories below, where you take on three guys at the same time, while they're armed, and you go chasing some guy 200 yards while naked. I'm just surprised the police didn't arrest your for indecent exposure

And the thing about guys on meth having super human strength Soulpatch, its' only something I heard, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that some people, seem to have more strength or the ability to not feel pain while high on drugs.

Now lets get back to Josie's story, this thread is not about you Soulpatch.

The way I work, is similar to the way the court system works, or how police detectives work. Surf Colorado, says small details don't matter, but I have to disagree with Surf Colorado because small details do matter, and material facts matter even more. Surf Colorado, changed a material fact in the story and tried to say Josie fought with both car hijackers, including the second guy that found the keys. Nowhere, did Josie say that, she fought over the truck keys with the second guy, Josie says she jumped out of the back of the cab, and then noticed the guy starting her truck and drove away, and she gave chase.

Later, when I ask Surf Colorado, why was Josie naked, another details not told in Josie's story, Surf Colorado, claims Josie was sleeping naked! And Josie, fought both guys naked.

In the court room, they often use what a "reasonable person" person would do in a given situation:

See the definition below:

"In law, a reasonable person (historically reasonable man) is a composite of a relevant community's judgment as to how a typical member of said community should behave in situations that might pose a threat of harm (through action or inaction) to the public."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person

So I'm making a case, that a reasonable person, especially a young naked woman, would not attempt to fight, two guys while naked. A reasonable person, would first reach for their clothes before they do anything. It's simply unbelievable that a young woman would jump out of the cab of her truck buck naked, and then get involved in a fight with two Mexican men. The fact that Josie wasn't raped is also very surprising, given the supposedly facts of the story.

The story is obviously bogus, and it looks like the story has changed. I think perhaps a truck may have been stolen, but the underlying story, looked made up, and it looks made up, to go along with a fund raising attempt. Of course this is my opinion, but it's what I believe.

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Man, that's funny.
I lived in Oxnard right on the edge of Port Hueneme alongside the train tracks that ran out to Ormand Beach.
One morning very early a guy broke into my place and I was sleeping naked.
I saw him run out the front door with my camera and my jacket. He had the presence of mind to lock the door behind him.
My first thought was to catch him and kill him.
It took me 200 yards but I caught him going over the wall on his way to the train tracks so he could scoot back up to Hueneme.... as I hung from his arm by my teeth and he was trying to stab me in the face with my knife (which I got back) wearing clothes never once entered my mind.
Killing him did, though, and getting my stuff back, which I did.... I could not entice him off the wall, though.... he had another knife and I was below him and he was up high.....
jajaja, what a bunch of horse chit this is.

Tweakers have super-human strength? Jajajaja, in 25 years in the fire service tweakers were some of the biggest wimps I've ever seen!
They have lots of bravery but their pain receptors seem to kick into overdrive once they take a good shot or two.... oh, lord, this is rich.

And, not everybody screams loudly when chit goes down. I was in a fight where I had a gun pointed at me, got stabbed, beat the chit out of three guys and held one for the cops..... in a populated neighborhood in sleepyville Camarillo, CA.... 20 minutes of buttcracks and elbows and "nobody" saw or heard.....

Heck, bad chit happens everywhere and baja is no exception..... jajaja, super human strength...... what's next?

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

woody with a view - 1-4-2015 at 04:26 PM

i just want to know what Josie did while standing there (still naked, i presume?) watching her truck and clothes drive away?

Zola - 1-4-2015 at 08:35 PM

I think what is really sad about this story is that someday someone might really find themselves in trouble, but others will be disinclined to believe them because obvious scam-artists, such as the people behind this appeal for funds, will have cried wolf one time too many.

I think that "Josie" and the fraud artists responsible for her story should know that trying to raise funds in this manner likely constitutes wire fraud and mail fraud in violation of various federal criminal statutes in the United States.

My reasoning is clear. If any woman had undergone such an extraordcinary and traumatic misfortune, she obviously would have been seen by medical authorities and would have complained to a US Consulate. She would have readily and immediately provided the location, date and time of the assault, and it is a virtual certainty that others at the place (the Wall, supposedly) would have heard all about it and confirmed it.

Bad violence can happen in Baja. Tweakers are likely to commit petty theft when the opportunity presents. Narco-wars are not over anywhere in Mexico.

But when pot-head gringos with a lack of imagination concoct an obvious scam in violation of US law, and inflict calumny on long-suffering Baja, I say it is time to let them know that criminal fraud has consequences. So they should either put up or shut up.

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2015 at 09:06 PM

The car jacking of Josie was obviously a true event. Jojo is an a.s.s.hat and has never been camping in his life, his opinions are irrelevant ( Jojo is often spot on, but this time he is wrong, it happens to everyone once in a while). Zola seems to be as clueless as Jojo.

Zola - 1-4-2015 at 09:23 PM

Well, I don't claim to have infallable knowledge, but I do know what sounds likely and plausible: Again, if a young woman were accosted in the middle of the night in her truck, and threatened by baton-wielding gangters, and if in the end she lost her truck and possessions and suffered a broken collarbone, it is likely and plausible that she would have been admitted to a hospital, would have complained to a US Consulate, and would have other eye-witnesses at the Wall who would confirm that she had lost her truck and had suffered a debilitating, very painful injury in the middle of the night, and was naked and had no money, nor any truck, nothing, etc.

It is implausible and highly unlikely that this person would at first REFUSE to say where the event had happened.

If I am wrong, I offer my sincere apologies to the woman and her friends. I have no axe to grind. But at best this story, as stated to me, sounds improbable, implausible, unlikely, and contrived in support of an abandoned fund-raising effort.

I wouldn't care, except that when others really need help, stories like this engender skepticism and put all of us off from helping a real victim of an actual crime.

Lastly, how can anyone know that the assailants were tweakers unless they were visibly under the influence? But I thought that they were wearing ski masks and brandishing batons? How would you know? But isn't this the sort of detail that one provides to gain sympathy? "I was attacked by speed freaks in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.!"

Again, if I am wrong, I apologize. But those who seek funds right from the start should have posted photos, the exact location, date and time, eye-witness accounts, a police report, a consular report, etc. Refusing to name the location struck me as spurious in the extreme, and I am as dedicated a surfer as anyone.

OK, I will pipe down now. I am sorry that I even contributed my $0.02.

[Edited on 1-5-2015 by Zola]

Zola - 1-4-2015 at 09:58 PM

I might have put my foot in my mouth again!I just read Shari's post, and if others on this site have heard from reliable friends that this happened, then I am an arse. Well, I am probably an arse anway.

But the way this story was presented, along with the fund-raising effort, made me think that it was bull. But who am I to say or judge? Next time I will say nothing.

"It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

shari - 1-5-2015 at 07:38 AM

Zola...sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction...no?

MMc - 1-5-2015 at 07:46 AM

Yep! From page 3 of this thread.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I love how reality has nothing to do with this site at times. We go down our own road not caring about reality, just building our own little worlds. It's good in mine how about you?

jeff - 1-5-2015 at 08:12 AM

Like wipin an arse with a hoop it just keeps a comin around...

JoeJustJoe - 1-5-2015 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The car jacking of Josie was obviously a true event. Jojo is an a.s.s.hat and has never been camping in his life, his opinions are irrelevant ( Jojo is often spot on, but this time he is wrong, it happens to everyone once in a while). Zola seems to be as clueless as Jojo.

I been camping in Baja plenty of times, but not in a few years. However, most of my camping experiences, I didn't enjoy, because too Mexicans don't seem to go camping for the spiritual aspects of camping, and peace and quiet.

I stayed at hotels with bars next by, that were quieter than Baja campsites, with loud music playing, and some families bringing the kitchen sink with them.

And when I complained about my camping experiences, I was told, I'm just going to the wrong places, and then I'm taking somewhere else on the next camping trip, but I experience the same thing with the very loud camping grounds with music playing until very late at night.

Give me Yosemite anytime, although it can get bad in Yosemite too, and the bad guys and bears are sometimes a problem.

Didn't, Jason Voorhees always hang out at camp grounds?

Goat, you're all over the place, on this issue with Josie, first you believe it, and then you don't believe it, and think it's a scam.

Make up your mind.

JoeJustJoe - 1-5-2015 at 11:25 AM

:light:
Quote: Originally posted by Zola  
I think what is really sad about this story is that someday someone might really find themselves in trouble, but others will be disinclined to believe them because obvious scam-artists, such as the people behind this appeal for funds, will have cried wolf one time too many.

I think that "Josie" and the fraud artists responsible for her story should know that trying to raise funds in this manner likely constitutes wire fraud and mail fraud in violation of various federal criminal statutes in the United States.

My reasoning is clear. If any woman had undergone such an extraordcinary and traumatic misfortune, she obviously would have been seen by medical authorities and would have complained to a US Consulate. She would have readily and immediately provided the location, date and time of the assault, and it is a virtual certainty that others at the place (the Wall, supposedly) would have heard all about it and confirmed it.

Bad violence can happen in Baja. Tweakers are likely to commit petty theft when the opportunity presents. Narco-wars are not over anywhere in Mexico.

But when pot-head gringos with a lack of imagination concoct an obvious scam in violation of US law, and inflict calumny on long-suffering Baja, I say it is time to let them know that criminal fraud has consequences. So they should either put up or shut up.

What happened Zola, you were doing so good until you ran out of gas, and now believe this story, because a collection of newbies, that probably don't have 10 posts combined, came to "Baja Nomad" and said, yes the story is true....blah blah blah......

None of these people actually witnessed the event, but they claim they heard from somebody. Shari's friend, at best is another fourth handed report, and Shari didn't say anything about her friend beyond reproach until very late into this thread, where Shari, had already made up her mind, the story was true, and the two car hijackers were meth tweakers, and then she got everyone reporting the two hijackers, were tweakers, without one shred of evidence the alleged car thieves were doing drugs.

Old American surfers are known to do drugs too.

Zola, you did get a few facts wrong, probably because you didn't read everything here, including Josie's account, and I suspect most of the people here didn't read everything, they just convinced themselves the story must be true, because it happened in Mexico, without looking at Josie's account and the others here, where they changed a few material facts, like Josie is buck naked fighting two Mexican guys supposedly high on meth.

But you said something Zola about the hospital, that I have also been wondering about. In Josie's story, she says two people took her to the hospital. One of those persons said on Nov 16, they been surfing in Northern California for the last two months, according to their FACEBOOK page. However, I guess it's possible they could have dropped the surfing up north and then headed to Southern Baja to be with Josie. ( I looked at the Friend's Facebook page. Do these people ever work?)

The question I have is, who paid for Josie's hospital bill? Josie was buck naked with no clothes, no ID, and no money. Did Josie have "Seguro Popular?" And even if she did, she still had no ID. Medical fees in Mexico, are about a third of what medical fees are in the US, but that's still a substantial amount of money for somebody bleeding all over the face, with a broken collar bone.

Mexico is not the USA, where the hospitals will offer basically free emergency medical care, and then try to bill you later. The hospitals, especially if they're private hospitals, are going to want the money up front, or before you leave the hospital.

If anything, the fund raiser attempt, should have been for the hospital bill, not a truck replacement. Of course, these surfers, who probably spend a lot of time surfing instead of working, could have paid the hospital bill, but Josie made no mention of it.

I don't think Josie actually went to the hospital, because she was too busy telling her tale to anybody that would listen.

[Edited on 1-5-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

DianaT - 1-5-2015 at 11:47 AM

Some people around this forum have a strange and strained relationship with the truth and at times, they switch stories as they go along to whatever sounds best.

Bajaahh - 1-5-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Some people around this forum have a strange and strained relationship with the truth and at times, they switch stories as they go along to whatever sounds best.

Very well put.
We all know that many things go down in Mex that we never hear about on "The news" or through the regular channels.
If it did happen, I wish her a speedy recovery. If it didnt, well Baja karma has a way to always get even...

danaeb - 1-5-2015 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i just want to know what Josie did while standing there (still naked, i presume?) watching her truck and clothes drive away?

She mourned for Patagonia. :no:

rts551 - 1-5-2015 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

the internet and drugs does that to people some times.

Tomas Tierra - 1-5-2015 at 03:12 PM

Couldn't help myself.. Had to read the whole thread..

Where does one read "Josie's story"?

Also.. Who ever said the wall was a remote surf spot? Maybe 6 or 7 miles off the main road?? Hardly remote in my world...GN 40 mins south?! As a surfer/remoteness enthusiast, I shy away from spots this close to the hiway..plus the gross amount of desert white Lillie's there.. Went there once, came in from the north/dirt.. Got the real picture when I exited to Mex 1..
If somebody (tweaker or whoever) wants my b-tchen Toyota 4by... They are going to have to get down a long chitty dirt roaad to get it..and then get throu my other "security" features in camp..

Hope it's not true... But wouldn't surprise me

TT

luv2fish - 1-5-2015 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
you know, and I don't want to be too cynical here, the second thing I thought after checking the Facebook page, was, hum, bet there's a fund raiser coming, especially with the later board post of the account which included 'there goes my trip to Patagonia.' now as I check back, gee, someone found a fundraising site.
guess every young person out there on world wide endless adventures isn't a trust fund baby...go figure. for most of us such a misfortune would mean going back to work for awhile to recoup, not asking strangers to pitch in with funds.
probably something unfortunate did happen and I am certainly sorry for the young lady, as well as others who go thru such misfortunes. the lack of any other information is puzzling, though.

August 12 2014 she was getting off a helo somewhere atop a bigazz mountain. This reminds me of the CEOs from Detroit auto manufacturers going to ask congress for a bail out and ariving on their private jets.

Goyo - 1-5-2015 at 09:04 PM

I posted a prior reply last week. From reading all 8 pages, it is clear that some adamantly believe the story, and others vehemently call B.S. We will never know for sure, but a good thing to take away from this is to always be mindful of your safety.

By the way, not too long ago, I dated a CBP Inspector who works on the southern border. In the past, I've asked her all kinds of questions about the duties of CBP Officers. She said they are supposed to ask for and inspect EVERY person's passport when they claim to be a U.S. citizen. If Josie had all her belonging stolen, she wouldn't have had her passport. That would have been a huge problem for her when seeking admission into the U.S.

The CBP Officer also told me that it's a big deal when someone is seeking entry as a U.S. citizen without proper documents. At a minimum, they are sent to secondary inspection. They will NOT admit someone who says they are a citizen but has no documents. They will attempt to verify the info, but such is very difficult. CBP is under Dept. of Homeland Security. Passports are issued by the Dept. of State. So, CBP can't simply check their electronic data bases for passport information. DOS is very tight with their information and doesn't give many other agencies access to it. CBP also does not have access to electronic civil data bases (County recorders/registrars) to verify births in the U.S.

If she showed up at the border with a broken collarbone (or whatever the injury was) and said she didn't have her passport because she was robbed and severely injured, it would have been a HUGE deal that would have taken many hours to resolve. Federal incident reports would have been written (internal, not public). It's interesting that nothing was mentioned about the bureaucratic nightmare that surely would have ensued if the story were true.

Oh, and just for the record, I wasn't implying that if something is in the blogosphere, it must be true. I was simply trying to point out that with our narcissistic youth culture, everyone blabs about everything - including the most mundane minutia. Also, most newspapers have their content online now. The fact that this didn't make any kind of local San Diego news is very suspicious.

luv2fish - 1-5-2015 at 10:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
I posted a prior reply last week. From reading all 8 pages, it is clear that some adamantly believe the story, and others vehemently call B.S. We will never know for sure, but a good thing to take away from this is to always be mindful of your safety.

By the way, not too long ago, I dated a CBP Inspector who works on the southern border. In the past, I've asked her all kinds of questions about the duties of CBP Officers. She said they are supposed to ask for and inspect EVERY person's passport when they claim to be a U.S. citizen. If Josie had all her belonging stolen, she wouldn't have had her passport. That would have been a huge problem for her when seeking admission into the U.S.

The CBP Officer also told me that it's a big deal when someone is seeking entry as a U.S. citizen without proper documents. At a minimum, they are sent to secondary inspection. They will NOT admit someone who says they are a citizen but has no documents. They will attempt to verify the info, but such is very difficult. CBP is under Dept. of Homeland Security. Passports are issued by the Dept. of State. So, CBP can't simply check their electronic data bases for passport information. DOS is very tight with their information and doesn't give many other agencies access to it. CBP also does not have access to electronic civil data bases (County recorders/registrars) to verify births in the U.S.

If she showed up at the border with a broken collarbone (or whatever the injury was) and said she didn't have her passport because she was robbed and severely injured, it would have been a HUGE deal that would have taken many hours to resolve. Federal incident reports would have been written (internal, not public). It's interesting that nothing was mentioned about the bureaucratic nightmare that surely would have ensued if the story were true.

Oh, and just for the record, I wasn't implying that if something is in the blogosphere, it must be true. I was simply trying to point out that with our narcissistic youth culture, everyone blabs about everything - including the most mundane minutia. Also, most newspapers have their content online now. The fact that this didn't make any kind of local San Diego news is very suhispanicious.

I,ve been told by cbp that a U.S. Citizen without docs cannot be denied entry into the U.S.

Goyo - 1-6-2015 at 06:40 AM

But CBP doesn't know you're a U.S. citizen until you show them your documents. If documents weren't required, everyone would simply say they are a U.S. citizen and they would have to be admitted, which would be counterintuitive.

As an experiment, the next time you seek entry into the U.S., just tell the inspector you are a U.S. citizen and you don't have to show him proof. Report back and let us know how that worked out for you.

Goyo - 1-6-2015 at 07:02 AM

My apologies to Luv2fish as my last post was a bit snarky. Based on the following info from DOS' travel.state.gov website, the CBP inspector most likely referred Josie to the U.S Embassy in Tijuana:

What Should a U.S. Citizen Do if his/her Passport is Lost or Stolen Abroad?
You will have to replace the passport before returning to the United States. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. Contact information for U.S. embassies and consulates is also available in our Country Specific Information pages. Ask to speak to the Consular Section to report your passport lost or stolen. If you have been the victim of a serious crime, be sure to tell a consular officer about it as soon as possible so we can provide appropriate assistance. If you are scheduled to leave the foreign country shortly, please provide our consular staff with the details of your travel. We will make every effort to assist you quickly. You will also be directed to where you can obtain a photo for your replacement passport. In most cases, you will need to get a passport photo prior to your arrival at the consular section.

gnukid - 1-6-2015 at 07:04 AM

The part of the story that is not believable is 1) a woman does not go to a northern baja popular surf spot and camp along the beach and away from others (which is hard for anyone to do) then 2) leave her car unlocked and her keys sitting open in the front seat while being in the back cab.

chuckie - 1-6-2015 at 08:59 AM

Apparently at least one person did...

BajaGringo - 1-6-2015 at 09:53 AM

I went through a very similar experience a little over 3 years ago. When my daughter and son-in-law got me out of the hospital in Ensenada I did not have a single piece of ID on me. When we arrived at border I was still in pretty rough condition. My daughter explained that I had been attacked and my wallet with all my ID taken from me. The agent simply asked my name, date and place of birth. Looked at his computer screen for a few moments and we were waved through. Didn't even have to go to secondary. Not sure if I was an exception or the general rule but we weren't even held up at the border crossing booth for more than a couple of minutes.

YMMV...

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by BajaGringo]

AguaDulce - 1-6-2015 at 10:01 AM

Easiest crossing I ever had was when our passports were stolen in Ensenada when car broken into. A few days later when headed home the CBP officer laughed at us and sent us on our way.

mtgoat666 - 1-6-2015 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
The part of the story that is not believable is 1) a woman does not go to a northern baja popular surf spot and camp along the beach and away from others (which is hard for anyone to do) then 2) leave her car unlocked and her keys sitting open in the front seat while being in the back cab.

newkid,
i know several women that travel and camp alone in baja -- and many people think the best camp spot is the one farthest from nearby campers.
when i camp in remote locations i have often left my vehicle unlocked while sleeping at night with keys in the vehicle so anyone in my group knows where keys are if they are needed...

JoeJustJoe - 1-6-2015 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

newkid,
i know several women that travel and camp alone in baja -- and many people think the best camp spot is the one farthest from nearby campers.
when i camp in remote locations i have often left my vehicle unlocked while sleeping at night with keys in the vehicle so anyone in my group knows where keys are if they are needed...

Do you sleep nude like Josie too when you go camping?

I don't think it's smart to leave your keys in the vehicle anytime, because you have too much to lose if somebody does come along and steals your vehicle and everything inside.

Goyo, makes a few good points about, " What Should a U.S. Citizen Do if his/her Passport is Lost or Stolen Abroad? However, I think that has to do more if you lose your passport far away from home, and have to get back on an airplane, because the airline isn't going to let you back on without an ID/Passport.

If you're on the US/Mexico border, the border patrol, can't deny entry to an American, and it's very easy for them to verify your citizenship, although you may be delayed a little bit.

I know, a few guys that were victims of choke holds in Tijuana, where it can be dangerous at night, and not so peaceful like a campground, where Josie was at. The border patrol agents, always let them pass through with little difficulty after pulling up their information on their computer screen.

luv2fish - 1-6-2015 at 12:36 PM

If you're on the US/Mexico border, the border patrol, can't deny entry to an American, and it's very easy for them to verify your citizenship, although you may be delayed a little bit.

WORD...... but just to be mo accurate, the Border Patrol only patrols the border, while U.S. Customs allows us entry without a passport.:):):):)

durrelllrobert - 1-6-2015 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

I went through a very similar experience a little over 3 years ago. When my daughter and son-in-law got me out of the hospital in Ensenada I did not have a single piece of ID on me. When we arrived at border I was still in pretty rough condition. My daughter explained that I had been attacked and my wallet with all my ID taken from me. The agent simply asked my name, date and place of birth. Looked at his computer screen for a few moments and we were waved through. Didn't even have to go to secondary. Not sure if I was an exception or the general rule but we weren't even held up at the border crossing booth for more than a couple of minutes.

YMMV...

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by BajaGringo]

About that same time a friend of mine was deathly ill down here and needed to go to the VA in San Diego. His son put him in a sleeping bag in the back of his truck without any ID. When they got to San Ysidro they were sent to secondary and were there for over 1 hour before being released. When they reached the VA my friend was pronounced dead :mad:

jeff - 2-7-2015 at 09:04 PM

Headed back down for another couple of weeks, just gotta wonder what the rest of the story will be.

LOL..ya your free !!

captkw - 2-7-2015 at 11:27 PM

Your papers Pleeeze !!:lol:

MMc - 2-8-2015 at 11:02 AM

I was there in Jan. this did happen and there have been thefts from camps that left wet suits and diving gear out. We heard to make sure to keep stuff under lock with in a hour of pulling in. I also got the story from some of the long term campers that are there. Not Good.
 Pages:  1  2