BajaNomad

A man in a reboso

Eli - 12-30-2004 at 12:45 PM

A man just came in to the enter net cafe, he was playing a harmonica and had a baby wrapped in a reboso shawl that was tied to his back. Well, he played pretty darn well, carried a tune just fine, so of course I gave him the only change I had, 2 pesos. I guess what really took me back was that he was wearing a cowboy hat and obviously is as ranchero as they come, and at the same time he is carring that baby in a reboso; man oh man, now that is a sign of some changing times, never thought I would see a man from the hills with a baby tied to his back in a reboso..... whoe doggies, brave new world, here we come.

Times, they are achanging in Mexico

capn.sharky - 12-30-2004 at 01:00 PM

Yes women are not second class citizens in Mexico anymore. Loreto has had female police officers for over five years now. Women are involved in politics. The macho man is a thing of the past. There are a few diehards around, but Mexico is coming around. Lets face it guys, the world would probably be a much safer and kinder place if the gals were in charge. Mrs. Fox was thinking of running for her husbands office when his term ran out, but changed her mind. My daughter just got her masters degree in finance. My three sons are still trying to figure out what they want to do. Two of them are much older than their sister. I like the changes and I was a male chauvinist pig when younger.

Baja Bernie - 12-30-2004 at 04:13 PM

Truth be known the women have always ruled Mexico in the ways that truly count. The family.

woody with a view - 12-30-2004 at 06:30 PM

and i LOVE it when my peruvian wife allows me just enough slack on my leash that i can get away to baja twice a year to surf with friends and generally have another, "the time of my life".:bounce:

Oso - 12-30-2004 at 06:54 PM

Y'all should visit the Isthmus sometime, around Tehuantepec & Juchitan, Oaxaca. The "Tehuanas" are known for their graceful beauty, but they are also taller on average than the men. The Zapotecs have always been a matriachal society. Even today, women hold most of the public offices, like Mayor, and run the businesses, manage the family finances etc. Men, poor delicate creatures, incapable of serious responsibility, are not expected to work very hard. They spend their days playing guitar, composing songs and poems of love, their only real duties reserved for nightime...

Does that sound like a bad life?;D

Mike Humfreville - 12-30-2004 at 07:12 PM

As always, Eli, a beautiful message waving small humanities like banners to be treasured. I don't know if we all see into sensitivities like a few do, but I feel if you quit writing so many of us would lose our vision into an otherwise unseen world.

Happy new year, friend.

Gypsy Jan - 12-30-2004 at 09:40 PM

Hmmm, matriarchal societies

Correct me if I am wrong, but, aren't they characterized by harmonious relationships for the most part, seeking positive interactions with other societies and in general contributing to the advancement of all?

Oso - 12-31-2004 at 11:35 AM

If you say so. The only anthropological definitions I know of are that women run things and property and lineage are passed down on the mother's side.

In old-time Cherokee tradition (and in many Native American societies), children belonged to the mother's clan, the father didn't count for much and the mother's eldest brother was expected to be the primary mentor to teach a boy hunting etc. As the old guy in the novel Creek Mary's Blood said, "We're not always sure about our father, but we always know who our mother is".