BajaNomad

Hwy. 5 pavement south of Gonzaga Bay Reports (2007 to 2016 added)

Pages:  1  2  

bajabuddha - 11-25-2015 at 06:03 PM

I truly apologize to those I have offended for finding Mr. M. Ged's comments delightfully sarcastic and with humor with the intent to lightly prod DK for his political/climatological beliefs, and make an obtuse point in the process. If I have offended anyone, I am deeply sorry. Some hopefully got the original intent..... I personally invite all of you to surf El Conejo or Todos Santos for Thanksgiving.

I'm signing up for a PC class on Monday.

Meantime, how 'bout that road, eh?

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by bajabuddha]

motoged - 11-25-2015 at 06:18 PM

BB,
Glad someone gets it..... :light:

Have fun surfin.... and please take notes in that class....

As for the road.....it will be quicker and less hassle....but have to say....sure glad I rode it at least 20 times when it was "Oh sh-t" dips, and bad road from Puertecitos to the highway at Laguna Chapala.

I loved to hate it each and every time....with Coco's being the highlight.

I sure hope Coco's doesn't suffer from loss of traffic...

David K - 11-25-2015 at 06:41 PM

I know some of you really think you got me figured out, as if it matters. It doesn't matter at all what I think or what you think. However, my way of thinking doesn't take anything away from you compared to the opposite, which greatly takes away from others.

For the record, what I believe (if it matters):

1) Climate Change is NORMAL, NATURAL, and happens WITHOUT MAN even being here. So yes, I believe in climate change BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN happening since time began, and long before the burning of fossil fuels or farting of cattle. There was no man-made global warming and that they had to change the name is even proof of that.

2) The Sea Levels are changing and have changed long ago... just like the elevation of landforms changes from plate tectonics and volcanism.

3) That the rate of these natural changes in climate or sea level can be ALTERED by man or by government raising taxes is not even good science. Man is not greater than Nature or God. Sure we can mess things up, but all get fixed NATURALLY, usually in short order.

4) That the change in sea level will suddenly change from an inch or so every hundred years to several feet is also phoney science used to spread fear and justify a loss of freedom and increase in taxes.

willardguy - 11-25-2015 at 06:51 PM

spot on david!....it doesn't matter at all!

David K - 11-25-2015 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Happy Thanksgiving willardguy!:cool:

willardguy - 11-25-2015 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Happy Thanksgiving willardguy!:cool:

gracias!

rts551 - 11-25-2015 at 07:17 PM

The only thing I have seen fixed in short order by nature has taken the form of a natural disaster. Tsunami's clean things up pretty well. whoops they deposit their mess else where.

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by rts551]

bajabuddha - 11-25-2015 at 08:04 PM

I know some of you really think you got me figured out, as if it matters. It doesn't matter at all what I think or what you think. However, my way of thinking doesn't take anything away from you compared to the opposite, which greatly takes away from others.

1) Climate Change is NORMAL, NATURAL, and happens WITHOUT MAN even being here. So yes, I believe in climate change BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN happening since time began, and long before the burning of fossil fuels or farting of cattle. There was no man-made global warming and that they had to change the name is even proof of that.

2) The Sea Levels are changing and have changed long ago... just like the elevation of landforms changes from plate tectonics and volcanism.

3) That the rate of these natural changes in climate or sea level can be ALTERED by man or by government raising taxes is not even good science. Man is not greater than Nature or God. Sure we can mess things up, but all get fixed NATURALLY, usually in short order.

4) That the change in sea level will suddenly change from an inch or so every hundred years to several feet is also phoney science used to spread fear and justify a loss of freedom and increase in taxes.

Once again, it's all about YOU, isn't it? Did you know Carly personally? Maybe you're the #3 guy......

:lol:

QUICK EDIT: THAT'S A JO-... AH SAY, THAT'S A JOKE, SON !! :lol:

motoged - 11-25-2015 at 09:38 PM

Meanwhile, back on the road.....

David K - 11-25-2015 at 09:54 PM

Cool photo Ged. You can see Isla el Muerto in the background.

CortezBlue - 11-28-2015 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Once again, it's all about YOU, isn't it? Did you know Carly personally? Maybe you're the #3 guy......

:lol:

QUICK EDIT: THAT'S A JO-... AH SAY, THAT'S A JOKE, SON !! :lol:

That's why he is Special K

David K - 11-28-2015 at 06:00 PM

Interesting who gets worked-up because I use real science (observations) and not some wild predictions of what has not happened, but might 30-100 years from now (long after the provider of the fantasy prediction is gone or forgotten).

rts551 - 11-28-2015 at 07:15 PM

Interesting who gets worked-up because I use real science (observations) and not some wild predictions of what has not happened, but might 30-100 years from now (long after the provider of the fantasy prediction is gone or forgotten).

Here come the palm trees! Please someone explain to David what science is. He obviously did not pay attention during class.

Cliffy - 11-28-2015 at 07:51 PM

At the risk of being strung up +1 DK

Up to my eyeballs

John M - 11-28-2015 at 08:20 PM

30,000 years ago if you were where you are now, you'd be up to your eyeballs in ice. Was it global warming caused by internal combustion engines that melted all that ice? or even possibly a natural evolution of climate? or just what caused all that ice to melt? moonbeams?

John M

Tomas Tierra - 11-28-2015 at 08:22 PM

+2

David K - 11-28-2015 at 08:38 PM

Thank you for being brave amigos!

larryC - 11-29-2015 at 08:20 AM

It is so true that the climate has changed many times, but those changes took hundreds of thousands if not millions of years. So slowly that life was able to adapt and carry on. What we are seeing now is happening way too fast for most life to adapt. Ma nature doesn't need a shove from man to change the climate but it seems we are shoving none the less. Oh well at least I got to experience the good times.

Tomas Tierra - 11-29-2015 at 10:34 AM

What's so bad about today??

woody with a view - 11-29-2015 at 10:50 AM

The Chargers will lose, sadly.....

Cliffy - 11-29-2015 at 11:12 AM

Again I ask (deference to thread drift given) -

Why is man's existence on earth considered "abnormal" and not just a part of the earth's natural process of evolution over 5 billion years?

Dinosaur flatulence aside.

Somebody once said quite accurately- "follow the money"!

norte - 11-29-2015 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

Why is man's existence on earth considered "abnormal" and not just a part of the earth's natural process of evolution over 5 billion years?

Somebody once said quite accurately- "follow the money"!
So you are saying our destiny is already chosen?

David K - 11-29-2015 at 12:30 PM

Nothing in the future is set in stone... only the past...

The climate is not changing faster in our lifetime. Just go over historic records and read of extremes that happened 50-100+ years ago that we may or may not break records of the rest of our life.

The sea level is unchanged the past 60 years as we can see from photographs taken of the same spot, on a beach we all know.

The panic is unwarranted and doesn't do anything but make you stressed, worried or poorer... unless you are a government employee or run a carbon unit scam company taking the money!

Climate changes, it always has, perhaps not enough to affect your life, but maybe it will...? DEAL with it; move, buy a coat, a swimsuit, whatever. Animals adapt or perish. What are you going to do, adapt or perish?

bezzell - 11-29-2015 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

wow ... you really are just not getting it, that time and again you throw this question out and get the answer.
what's the bet that a few months from now you'll throw it out again !?
just wow

https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/311m7d/collapse_d...

[Edited on 11-29-2015 by bezzell]

bezzell - 11-29-2015 at 12:41 PM

Nothing in the future is set in stone... only the past...

The climate is not changing faster in our lifetime. Just go over historic records and read of extremes that happened 50-100+ years ago that we may or may not break records of the rest of our life.

:lol::lol:
a textbook example of human suffering from the human condition: 'deal with the present and immediate future, based on the immediate past'.

For some, as long as you can jump in the Toy and drive to the end of the block to pick up that Double-double cheeseburger w/ fries and the extra onion rings for you and the obese partner ... 'climate change' is just a hoax.

ni modo

these geniuses can't even grasp that it's the RATE of change (as prev explained) and not change itself. ni modo

TMW - 11-29-2015 at 12:49 PM

What are any of you doing to affect climate change in a positive manner.

rts551 - 11-29-2015 at 12:53 PM

Now wait a minute. They are adapting.

It used to be..and still is for some, there is no change. nothing is getting warmer and the oceans are not rising. Now the denier buzz word is "normal". They even define normal as unrecorded history, as if they can dream it up somehow.

And for some it does not matter because somehow this is destiny or nature will fix it.

Maybe its called "new science"?

chuckie - 11-29-2015 at 01:03 PM

Will it effect the rate at which Hiway 5 is finished to Hiway 1?The rising water may wash fill over the rocks before the 1st of the year? Amazing...any time DK starts up with his bullchit people fall for it and any semblance of sanity in a thread is lost.....

R.I.P. Highway 5 south of Gonzoga thread!

AKgringo - 11-29-2015 at 01:19 PM

You had some great info, and photos! Sadly, most of the info is outdated, or buried under piles of off topic excrement.

I would love to see a new thread ABOUT THE ROAD, that is current and non political. I am still trying to make the trip this winter, so I keep checking back for updates, but there is so much B.S. lately that I grit my teeth every time this gets bumped.

[Edited on 11-29-2015 by AKgringo]

Cliffy - 11-29-2015 at 02:05 PM

WOW Interesting list by bezzell. Lots of "facts" but no underlying evidence even in the Scientific American article shown
If you want to talk about the causes of rhino, lion or elephant (elephant only in some areas of Africa) decline in Africa and you are willing to listen to a valid opinion I'm willing to talk about it even in PM. I do have some experience there. It has nothing to do with "climate change" (the NEW "climate warming" as the old definition didn't fit the current facts).
The thrust of the citations in the voluminous listing provided implies that if mankind were to drop dead today the world would be better off???

Here is another "Scientific American" article of a different bent than "the sky is falling" as so many "believers" profess-

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-wil...

There are voices on both sides of the argument, many of which are well founded by educated authors, BUT, at the same time, it has been said that- "if you can't rebutt with facts then attack the messenger".

In the end, no comment or answer on my question of whether or not mankind should be considered "a natural process of the earth's history"

bezzell - 11-29-2015 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
What are any of you doing to affect climate change in a positive manner.

Renewables of course !! ;D

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/21/renewable_energy_sim...

David K - 11-29-2015 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
You had some great info, and photos! Sadly, most of the info is outdated, or buried under piles of off topic excrement.

I would love to see a new thread ABOUT THE ROAD, that is current and non political. I am still trying to make the trip this winter, so I keep checking back for updates, but there is so much B.S. lately that I grit my teeth every time this gets bumped.

Any body with fresh information or photos, please consider starting your own report.

This is an 11 month old thread. There are more and newer Hwy. 5 threads. This one has morphed!

EDIT: Here's some from last month:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80533

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80532

Here's one from two months ago:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80090

My photo and map filled personal report posted 3 months ago of my late July trips over the road: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79774

[Edited on 11-29-2015 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 11-29-2015 at 05:50 PM

Your insular approach just is so wrong. There are thousands of scientists from many nations that do believe that climate change is real.

You do realize that 2015 is stacking up to be the hottest year since records have been taken??

Hate to even go there, but I have to wonder if you are one of the end timers.

Just so many folks that are waiting for the return of Jesus that they don't give a holy crap about earth.

David K - 11-29-2015 at 06:10 PM

Do you not read what I post to which you must comment, or just presume things about me?

I made it vert clear what I think (as if it matters): The climate does change, and always has.

Time doesn't end... this thread is proof of that.

rts551 - 11-29-2015 at 06:20 PM

I believe these are the statements that lack scientific justification or even common sense.

"That the rate of these natural changes in climate or sea level can be ALTERED by man or by government raising taxes is not even good science. Man is not greater than Nature or God. Sure we can mess things up, but all get fixed NATURALLY, usually in short order.

4) That the change in sea level will suddenly change from an inch or so every hundred years to several feet is also phoney science used to spread fear and justify a loss of freedom and increase in taxes."

How can we NOT alter our environment DK?? How did you transition to loss of freedoms" what freedoms have your lost?

ligui - 11-30-2015 at 05:54 AM

What happened to Hwy 5 ?? :?:

bajabuddha - 11-30-2015 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
What happened to Hwy 5 ?? :?:

Highway 5?? What about it? If they used all the azz-fault spread around on this thread alone they'd already have it paved and 4-lane by now.

chuckie - 11-30-2015 at 08:45 AM

People just aren't getting the word....DK, The chubby Oaf, clearly stated that he has morphed this thread into something HE wants to talk about, and gave a list of other threads to get info on Hiway 5...What a guy? always helpful...

David K - 11-30-2015 at 09:42 AM

I stated that? I don't need to make things up, there is always plenty of fun Baja topics to talk about here... Plus, I am busy writing the new book. Just what motivates you chuckie? Do you have a diet plan that you want to suggest? I would love to shed 30 lbs. Thank you for your help!

chuckie - 11-30-2015 at 10:34 AM

Read what you posted on 11/29/2015....As to your losing weight? Try keeping your mouth shut....would possibly help with global warming as well...

tripledigitken - 11-30-2015 at 12:19 PM

Chuckie,

Did u beat dead horses as much in Mulege as u do in Kansas? I think we all know by now that DK isn't your favorite Nomad.

Really getting old.......just sayin

willardguy - 11-30-2015 at 01:16 PM

with an average of 6 posts per mile, what the hecks gonna happen when that 23 remaining miles are paved?:?:
we're gonna need a another turtle bust!

Cliffy - 11-30-2015 at 01:22 PM

The other side of the story:

http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/11/29/skeptical-climate-doc...

dtbushpilot - 11-30-2015 at 08:00 PM

Oh stop it Cliffy. How many times do the Nomad scientists have to say it? IT'S SETTLED! I just hope they get that road finished before it is under water....

rts551 - 11-30-2015 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Oh stop it Cliffy. How many times do the Nomad scientists have to say it? IT'S SETTLED! I just hope they get that road finished before it is under water....

Next major hurricane it might be. I have seen Laguna Chapala cover hwy 1 before!:lol::lol:

CortezBlue - 12-1-2015 at 02:44 PM

I agree, but, once Special K reads any post, he has to correct, fix, comment or generally poke his nose in and stir the pot. It would be nice if it were just a post that had photos and updates, hell I would even put up with his juvenile maps he drew 40 years ago. But sadly this has become the downfall of this forum.

rts551 - 12-1-2015 at 02:55 PM

There are photos on TALKBAJA. I would post them here but David gets mad because I can not follow instructions. Lat seek a friend was on the road and not much has changed in the last month. No workers...they may have taken off until after the first of the year. I will be through that area net week and will post an update when I get a chance.

BigBearRider - 12-1-2015 at 03:59 PM

I went through there Thursday, north to south. I managed to get on to the new road somewhere, and about missed Coco's. I got turned around by construction workers and found my way again. The sun started to set around Coco's when we arrived. It's a long drive, made longer if you make a mistake. Luckily, I didn't get a flat.

I installed a light bar while in BCS. It turns night into day. It was really nice for the dirt roads I drove later.

CortezBlue - 12-1-2015 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I went through there Thursday, north to south. I managed to get on to the new road somewhere, and about missed Coco's. I got turned around by construction workers and found my way again. The sun started to set around Coco's when we arrived. It's a long drive, made longer if you make a mistake. Luckily, I didn't get a flat.

I installed a light bar while in BCS. It turns night into day. It was really nice for the dirt roads I drove later.

You shouldn't have had that Tequila in San Felipe:lol::lol:

PS Turn those sumbiges of when you are coming my direction:cool:

rts551 - 12-1-2015 at 06:14 PM

A week ago the workers were not back after the race. Are you saying they are back to work now. In October there were about 200 or so people working.

BigBearRider - 12-1-2015 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

You shouldn't have had that Tequila in San Felipe:lol::lol:

PS Turn those sumbiges of when you are coming my direction:cool:

No tequila, just made a mistake trying to take a path that looked smoother and all of a sudden I was on a 30 minute sight-seeing detour...

No kidding about the light bar. It's 54 inches. It absolutely scorches the corneas of anyone looking at them.

I used the lights on the 1 going north Sunday, and tried to be very careful to turn them off far in advance whenever I saw oncoming traffic. I hope I didn't fail.

BigBearRider - 12-1-2015 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

A week ago the workers were not back after the race. Are you saying they are back to work now. In October there were about 200 or so people working.

There were plenty of people working on the bridge close to Gonzaga, and around there. Then I saw a truck full of workers somewhere when I went astray. I stumbled onto a worker's camp somewhere where at least one guy had a tent set up. Then, after Coco's there were a bunch more workers in some sort of temporary housing on both sides of the road.

US 41 - 12-7-2015 at 09:19 PM

I'm considering driving to Cabo San Lucas from Indiana in either February or March (I hate flying so that is not an option). Will this paving project be finished by then? This would be a really nice shortcut if I end up going. If it isn't finished by the time I go is the 20 mile gravel portion of the road in fairly good condition? I drive a Dodge Neon which sits kind of low to the ground.

Also is Baja safe enough to drive in by yourself? The only place in Mexico I have ever been in is a small town called Boquillas which is across the river from the Big Bend Nat'l Park (its very safe). I'd most likely enter/leave Mexico at the Lukeville, AZ POE if that matters. Thanks for any responses.

BigBearRider - 12-7-2015 at 09:29 PM

I cannot see it being finished then.

I think it's safe to drive alone.

BigBearRider - 12-7-2015 at 09:55 PM

I cannot see it being finished then.

I think it's safe to drive alone.

David K - 12-7-2015 at 10:29 PM

6-7 miles (~10 kms.) per year has been the rate of progress on this new highway south from Puertecitos. Now the pavement ends 20 kms. south of the Alfonsina's (Gonzaga) Pemex, and has for coming on close to a year... but this section past the end is big boulder country and perhaps slower to build through?

There are 23 dirt miles (not gravel, but a graded, rocky surface for at least half of that) from the end of pavement to Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1). The Coco's bypass will shorten the actual new highway distance to about 20 miles. 20/6 = 3-4 YEARS to build and open... based on the same rate they have used since this project began (in 2007).

Welcome US 41

AKgringo - 12-7-2015 at 11:31 PM

It is good you found this forum, and it appears that you have been searching it for information already.

I am curious as to why you would want to use Lukeville as your POE? Mex highway 2 is a toll road, and right now, gasoline is cheaper in the US, so using the US interstate to Mexicalli, Tecate, or Tijuana would be faster, cheaper, and easier than crossing in AZ.

As far as your Neon on the rough patch of highway 5....locals do it, but it does require skill and caution to avoid damage to the bottom side! That is a year old opinion, it seems that the road crews might have it in better condition by now.

BigBearRider - 12-8-2015 at 02:10 PM

I drove it around Thanksgiving, going south. I drove a 4x4 ML320. I aired down the tires to avoid getting a flat, and drove slowly. The ML has decent ground clearance and decent suspension. You have to go very slow (10 to 20 mph). Still, it is hard on the car. Things will have a tendency to shake loose and break because of the rough road. (I got a hole in the radiator, but it may have happened later on a similarly bad road).

Martyman - 12-8-2015 at 02:16 PM

What's an ML?

BigBearRider - 12-8-2015 at 02:46 PM

A 2001 Mercedes ML320. It's a body on frame 4x4 SUV. (Mine has 215K+ miles on it.)

rts551 - 12-8-2015 at 05:01 PM

I would not take it right now in a Neon. Maybe by March they will have cleaned up the road some. Check back later.

Given the amount of equipment and people working they will complete more than 6-7 miles per year....Probably be finished at the end of 2016 if they continue at the same pace. Budget problems or pulled off to work damaged roads and well.....who knows.

But they are working faster than at any other time I have seen in Baja/Baja Sur.

mtnpop - 12-9-2015 at 10:22 PM

traveled through today 12/9.... amazing what has been done since we came through in Oct... They have several mountains of rather large rock to move looks like... the reroute is interesting... looks like it will slide south to hit Mex 1 south of the current intersection...
It is 50 times better traveling on it than it was even 3 years ago...
bridge work is moving along at a fast pace also...
now if they would patch the potholes on mex 1 south of Chapala..
here i am complaining at the little things..
still no Diesel at Gonzoga......

Whale-ista - 12-9-2015 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by US 41  
I'm considering driving to Cabo San Lucas from Indiana in either February or March (I hate flying so that is not an option). Will this paving project be finished by then? This would be a really nice shortcut if I end up going. If it isn't finished by the time I go is the 20 mile gravel portion of the road in fairly good condition? I drive a Dodge Neon which sits kind of low to the ground.

Also is Baja safe enough to drive in by yourself? The only place in Mexico I have ever been in is a small town called Boquillas which is across the river from the Big Bend Nat'l Park (its very safe). I'd most likely enter/leave Mexico at the Lukeville, AZ POE if that matters. Thanks for any responses.

Welcome to the Nomad board US 41!

Can't speak re:this road, but it's slow going and likely won't be done that soon.

As far as safety- Baja in general is safe. Good if you speak even a little Spanish, for dealing with the stops for gas, food, hotels etc.

Other discussions on Nomad will go into detail re:various ways driving is different in Baja vs. US (MX1 is a single lane hwy, built for commerce not speed; limited/no lighting; livestock wandering on road in open range areas...).

Plan on it being scenic, safe and taking it slow and you'll do fine. Have fun!

Hook - 12-10-2015 at 07:39 AM

Lukeville would be a strange place to cross (unless you know someone in Gila Bend, Ajo or Lukeville) or unless you want to take the stretch of road from Puerto Penasco around to San Felipe through El Golfo de Santa Clara. So, you wouldnt HAVE to take the toll road to Mexicali.

But I dont think the road from PP to SF is THAT scenic, really. And there are long stretches with no services.

LaTijereta - 12-10-2015 at 08:57 AM

Came through this week.. From Loreto to San Felipe took 9 1/2 hours, including about 1 hour to run the graded section.. That section has about 10 miles mix of very smooth grade sections, with a fair amount of traffic going this way..
Took another 3 hours to run up to the border crossing at Tecate on the toll Hwy 2..
Overall.. saved about 85 miles and 1 1/2 hrs verses going down Hwy 1 via Tecate crossing.. :cool:

Hook - 12-10-2015 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  
Came through this week.. From Loreto to San Felipe took 9 1/2 hours, including about 1 hour to run the graded section.. That section has about 10 miles mix of very smooth grade sections, with a fair amount of traffic going this way..
Took another 3 hours to run up to the border crossing at Tecate on the toll Hwy 2..
Overall.. saved about 85 miles and 1 1/2 hrs verses going down Hwy 1 via Tecate crossing.. :cool:

And a lot more scenic and a lot less traffic stress.

US 41 - 12-12-2015 at 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to hear that Baja is generally pretty safe. I think I will enter at Tecate and take Hwy 3 south to Hyw 1 in Ensenada, rather than enter at Sonoyta since Hwy 5 isn't finished yet.

bajabuddha - 12-12-2015 at 10:31 PM

US 41,
am in Nueva Mexico, travelled the stretch for years. If i'm in a slo-mo mood, will cross at Sonoyta, but no longer any further east due to "no-man's land'' rumors, and haven't heard anything different for a while.

Otherwise, for convenience and 'cruise-control' (in more ways than one) take the U.S. freeway to Tecate. If you're trailer trash camping like me, Yuma has a new Wally World at exit 11-A, best RV park for miles; open 24/7, good for stocking up on stuff and late-night snacks. Park over by the adjacent bank, you'll have company.

I do love the drive from Mexicali to Sonoyta SOB, plan on camping in Puerto Peñasco or Organ Pipe NM campground. DO NOT boondock off the highway. If in PP, plan on a few extra days and check into a tour of El Pinacate Parque National, great volcanic 'stuff', but again, pay the bucks, take a tour; no-man's land thanks to "The War On Drugs". The 'Taint' isn't Baja, but still worth seeing, eventually.

Happy trails.

advrider - 12-13-2015 at 01:01 PM

Question, I will be headed down this Thursday for a week of camping. Sf, Gonzaga bay and maybe BOLA for a few nights? Can you drive the new Highway until the pavement ends and then does it continue on as dirt or just end? I was planning on cutting of and going out past Cocos to BOLA? Is this the best way? I will be towing my off road tent trailer with a Nissan xterra so the dirt shouldn't be an issue.

David K - 12-13-2015 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Question, I will be headed down this Thursday for a week of camping. Sf, Gonzaga bay and maybe BOLA for a few nights? Can you drive the new Highway until the pavement ends and then does it continue on as dirt or just end? I was planning on cutting of and going out past Cocos to BOLA? Is this the best way? I will be towing my off road tent trailer with a Nissan xterra so the dirt shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, this is the Gulf Side Highway and no other route is open between Gonzaga and Coco's Corner. The pavement ends 12 miles from Gonzaga (Pemex) and Coco's is 10 more dirt miles ahead. The new highway will swing west and miss Coco's when it is open, but you will still be able to drive to his place as long as they don't put the stupid barb wire across the existing dirt roads, as they have done in many other places!

From Coco's Corner, you have an option instead of the construction road to Laguna Chapala: Turn east and go to Calamajué (the cove east or the canyon, mission, river south from a junction 6.3 miles east from Coco's). The river/canyon road is a 4WD route, but was very easy and the water was not deep on my last trip through in 2012. I have not heard it being worse since. That road reaches Hwy. 1 at El Crucero (km 261) or earlier (km 251) using the 1973 water truck road.

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 01:25 PM

You can drive the pavement South as far as it goes and it will lead you right into the dirt section over to Rt. 1. You just need to take it easy on the dirt.

Yes, it is all chewed up but no, there isn't anything close to a clearance problem or any places where you are going to drop over a cliff. Just boring, dusty and lots of pointy imbedded rocks that would love to raise hell with your tire sidewalls of you whack into them at speed.

I have been through there with everything from a motocross bike to a Honda Accord with bald tires. I towed an eight foot cargo trailer behind my old class B last Spring and except for things flopping around back there due to my doltish packing, nothing happened. You gotta use your judgement and take it easy.

advrider - 12-13-2015 at 01:33 PM

I have been up the wash on my bike a few times. What would be the faster/better way to get over to HWY 1? The new HWY/dirt or past Cocos? I was thinking Cocos just so we could stop and say HI? Thanks for the information guys.

willardguy - 12-13-2015 at 01:34 PM

" Just boring, dusty and lots of pointy imbedded rocks that would love to raise hell with your tire sidewalls of you whack into them at speed."

exactly! someone should pave that thing! :P

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 01:43 PM

The new paved stuff doesn't bypass Coco's. You just follow your nose and the auto freight trucks. It's the same old route after you leave the pavement.

Straight to Rt. 1 would take less time. Especially towing. The wash is cool but it's not my choice to make miles.

Unless it's raining, the old route is fine. When it rains the clay over near Rt. 1 gets slimy.

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by Gulliver]

chuckie - 12-13-2015 at 01:49 PM

I heard that they were thinking about improving it? Does anyone have a current report?

Gulliver - 12-13-2015 at 01:50 PM

Read back on this thread. The short answer is yes. Not done and won't be for a while.

chuckie - 12-13-2015 at 02:28 PM

How is the WIFI?

David K - 12-13-2015 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
The new paved stuff doesn't bypass Coco's. ...

All traffic now goes to/ through Coco's Corner, but the new paved highway will bypass Coco's Corner when finished... it leaves the current route at Las Arrastras de Arriola and runs 3 km west of Coco's Corner, rejoining the route as it enters the mountains. I made these maps when I last returned from there...

advrider - 12-13-2015 at 04:44 PM

Nice work on the maps! Thanks for the info...

micah202 - 12-13-2015 at 05:31 PM

....wow,,I guess things will become extra-more quiet at Coco's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QGIdC6ARFY

David K - 12-13-2015 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Nice work on the maps! Thanks for the info...

Thanks, I posted them before when I made them after my July trip, but they seemed in need of sharing again here.
Happy Holidays!

Enrique2012 - 12-13-2015 at 09:24 PM

Awesome information David. You are an incredible resource for those traveling the peninsula.

Thank You!!

David K - 12-14-2015 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  
Awesome information David. You are an incredible resource for those traveling the peninsula.

Thank You!!

You are very welcome, often the information is correct, too! LOL:lol:

I hope you guys will like the new book, too... working a lot on it lately!

bajarich - 12-15-2015 at 10:23 PM

We have a 17" Casita travel trailer and would like to drive Hwy 5 to where it joins Hwy 1 at Laguna Chapala. If there are only 20 miles of rough road, will we be better off to take the new route, or follow the old route through Coco's Corner? It is a single axle trailer, but we can lower the air pressure and drive slowly. We want to get some dental work done at Los Algodonas so this would be the best route if it won't kill our trailer.

David K - 12-15-2015 at 11:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
We have a 17" Casita travel trailer and would like to drive Hwy 5 to where it joins Hwy 1 at Laguna Chapala. If there are only 20 miles of rough road, will we be better off to take the new route, or follow the old route through Coco's Corner? It is a single axle trailer, but we can lower the air pressure and drive slowly. We want to get some dental work done at Los Algodonas so this would be the best route if it won't kill our trailer.

There is no other route to Hwy 1 then via Coco's Corner. The highway bypass around Coco's is a long way from being open... and when it is open, it will be a paved highway. Any trailer over a rocky, graded road is not going to do well. How long can you drive at 5 mph.... 4 hours?

Gulliver - 12-16-2015 at 04:00 AM

I concur. I think that road over the hill from Cocos to Rt. 1 would rearrange things in your trailer pretty badly. As David says, how long can you drive at low speeds.

If you have an automatic transmission you might get away with it. I towed an eight foot single axle cargo trailer through early last May with no damage to the trailer but the banging and bouncing set off a fire extinguisher in there and I'm still finding white power in unexpected places. It took two+ hours to go twenty miles and I felt that I was pushing it. I did pass two semis and had no tire damage. I did zig zag all over the place to dodge pointy rocks.

The up side is not that you save than much distance or even time compared to jumping back across the border at Algodones, heading over to Tecate on I-8 and coming down through Ensenada. What you do avoid is all of that visually depressing mess from Ensenada to El Rosario where the real baja starts. Nothing but dust, plastic bags and poverty.

I will be headed North the end of April with an empty trailer. My decision will be based more on whether I want to put up with crossing at Mexicali rather than Tecate. I strongly dislike being pestered by vendors while waiting. Tecate offers up the minimum of that.

rts551 - 12-16-2015 at 06:01 AM

I use this road all the time. Many times with a flatbed trailer. I see travel trailers using it in the last year. But I have patience and can travel at 5mph for long distances. Actually, 5-10 MPH.

Oh and the semi's seem to have patience as well.

[Edited on 12-16-2015 by rts551]

BigWooo - 12-16-2015 at 06:23 AM

Just drove that route for the first time this week. We normally tow a travel trailer North to stay in when in the U.S. No trailer this time so we gave it a go. I wouldn't have a problem towing a flat bed, or small open utility trailer on the dirt stretch (slow going), but not a travel trailer. You'll definitely damage something.

Cliffy - 12-16-2015 at 09:56 AM

Nuf said for me No TT right now

rts551 - 12-17-2015 at 08:53 PM

came through this morning. sorry no selfies, maps or pics (they don't fit). Road is in good shape. 1 1/2 hours taking it easy. 36 degrees this morning in San felipe.

bajarich - 12-18-2015 at 03:04 PM

Thanks all for your advice. We will need to figure out a different plan.

David K - 12-18-2015 at 03:23 PM

Not too much to figure out if you are going south of Gonzaga Bay... either drive VERY slow for 23 miles or drive the extra ~100+ miles via Ensenada and El Rosario to head south. Even the paved roads in Baja have holes and bumps, however! BAJA became famous because of its rough roads.

Have a great trip and report back on how it was for you when you get home, please.

Hook - 12-18-2015 at 05:58 PM

Arent Casitas one of those egg-shaped TTs?

If so, you probably have a lot fewer joints held together with screws and no real skeleton to worry about.

Your built-ins are probably screwed into place but you could remove all the screws and re-set them with blue thread locker and even they would remain in place for that short distance.

Then, just air down to around 15-20 psi in the TT tires and go slow.

This is immensely better than the Ensenada-Chapala alternative, IMO.

David, how are you figuring the ~100 mile difference?

David K - 12-18-2015 at 06:29 PM

If he's in San Felipe, it's a 150 miles to go "the wrong way" to Ensenada and then turn south again.

If he is in Mexicali, then it is the drive to the west coast only to come back to the east coast again, or nearly so at Laguna Chapala. About 100+ extra miles to go south to say L.A. Bay or beyond. Why would all the truckers now be coming through San Felipe if it wasn't a significant savings in distance and time?

If he is in San Diego, then the distance is the same, but he would not have to deal with crossing Ensenada and all the farm towns to the south of there.

TMW - 12-18-2015 at 08:31 PM

Hook they are not egg shape but made of Fiberglass. They come in 13-17 foot lengths.

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

bajarich - 12-22-2015 at 10:43 PM

FYI: Casita Trailers are put together with pop rivets. The theory is that screws stress the fiberglass. The fiberglass is drilled and the cabinets are hung with 3/16" rivets. The rivets will break before doing damage to the fiberglass. I have to replace a few rivets on every Baja trip. This will be the fourth for our Casita. The worst damage so far has been a bent tongue on the trailer. I credit that to some unmarked Topes hit at speed. I have since had the tongue straightened and reenforced.

PaulW - 12-23-2015 at 10:07 AM

Traveled south a couple of days ago (Sunday) After the big sign we headed down the construction road. Bad decision. Turns out the road is OK but ended at a big construction area we could not pass. (trucks with 4wd). After we got to Asuncion I looked an my SPOT and we got about half way to Chapala on that road. Anyway we back tracked and it cost us about 45 minuted for our detour.
The rest of the dirt road to Chapala is as described by others - no new input. Good enough for several autos we passed.

David K - 12-23-2015 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Traveled south a couple of days ago (Sunday) After the big sign we headed down the construction road. Bad decision. Turns out the road is OK but ended at a big construction area we could not pass. (trucks with 4wd). After we got to Asuncion I looked an my SPOT and we got about half way to Chapala on that road. Anyway we back tracked and it cost us about 45 minuted for our detour.
The rest of the dirt road to Chapala is as described by others - no new input. Good enough for several autos we passed.

ASUNCION? Gonzaga, right?
So, at Las Arrastras, where the Coco's Bypass begins, you must have gone straight instead of curved to the left for Coco's Corner?

BigBearRider - 12-23-2015 at 12:08 PM

I managed to do something similar when I headed down for Thanksgiving. I ended up on the new Highway Route, essentially level with Coco's on the map above and had to find my way down to Coco's.

RenoJoe - 12-23-2015 at 02:34 PM

So I'm assuming to stay to the left an don't go on the new highway because its not done yet?
 Pages:  1  2