BajaNomad

POPE FRANCIS PLANS TO CANONIZE FRAY JUNIPERO SERRA

Pages:  1  2

Ateo - 2-10-2015 at 07:06 PM

Cisco, you're gonna burn in hell. We all know you're just choosing not to believe in a god so you can keep on sinning.

JK :D

The word atheist has a ton of baggage for the average god believer. Their pastors tell them we are fools. They think we are satanic, immoral, wretched beings, when in fact, we just don't believe in a god. We aren't turning our back on god. How can you turn your back on something you don't believe exists?

Skipjack Joe - 2-10-2015 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

Us animal eaters will soon have our flesh and eat it too---they're getting laboratory raised steaks tastier all the time---a few companies working on them---real meat but muscles grown en masse without the conscious overlord being whisked away.

I once asked dad what he thought of artificial insemination (he was in his 70's by then). His response was:

"Old method is better"

Pompano - 2-10-2015 at 07:41 PM

One day a zoo-keeper noticed that the orangutan was reading two books - the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species.

Surprised, he asked the ape, "Why are you reading both those books?"

"Well," said the orangutan, "I just wanted to know if I was my brother's keeper or my keeper's brother."

Ateo - 2-10-2015 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

Us animal eaters will soon have our flesh and eat it too---they're getting laboratory raised steaks tastier all the time---a few companies working on them---real meat but muscles grown en masse without the conscious overlord being whisked away.

I once asked dad what he thought of artificial insemination (he was in his 70's by then). His response was:

"Old method is better"

LOL big time. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cisco - 2-10-2015 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Cisco, you're gonna burn in hell. We all know you're just choosing not to believe in a god so you can keep on sinning.

JK :D

The word atheist has a ton of baggage for the average god believer. Their pastors tell them we are fools. They think we are satanic, immoral, wretched beings, when in fact, we just don't believe in a god. We aren't turning our back on god. How can you turn your back on something you don't believe exists?

BUSTED!!! :lol:

So much going on and it's been soo long that my memory bank is overdrawn but isn't there some place in-between first?

Like purga...or purge...or...

"The Gates of Hell" Rodin's unfinished, decades long in construction so it was not needed for the original project is exhibited at Stanford.

It is one of seven recreated bronze from the original in the world.

I spend hours looking at it when at Stanford and I'm sure that when I get there (HELL) I will be able to enjoy trying to figure it out for eternity, so, there's an "up" side to everything I guess.

The Cantor Arts Center has over a hundred exhibits, mostly bronze, of Rodin's works and is well worth seeing if you are into that type of thing.

Other works also and it's one of the few free museums left. Parking is pay but reasonable and free on Sunday.

monoloco - 2-11-2015 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is really sad how negative things have become in the past 6 or so years. We are losing so much hope and faith in the things that used to bring us together as a nation. We are far more divided and polarized. I long for an administration that unites our country instead of dividing, grouping, 'special interesting' everyone.
It's such a relief to know that all our problems are just a temporary situation that can be reversed by putting another Bush in the WH.:lol: All that war, torture, and financial collapse really united us as a nation, it was the "good ol' days" and we didn't even realize it at the time.

David K - 2-11-2015 at 09:39 AM

No, not a Bush, he was no conservative... but thank God it was him in office when we were attacked and not some apologizing leftist.

After the current guy, we need another Reagan to heal and unite the country.

monoloco - 2-11-2015 at 11:24 AM

No, not a Bush, he was no conservative... but thank God it was him in office when we were attacked and not some apologizing leftist.

Yeah, thank God we had GW to bury the evidence that the Saudis were behind the attack and fabricate evidence to justify invading a country that had absolutely nothing to do with it. God forbid we would have had someone in office who might have gone after the people who were actually responsible.

DianaT - 2-11-2015 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Yeah, thank God we had GW to bury the evidence that the Saudis were behind the attack and fabricate evidence to justify invading a country that had absolutely nothing to do with it. God forbid we would have had someone in office who might have gone after the people who were actually responsible.

Ah yes, Bush was so good at all of this -- two wars that should have never happened, and then they were not funded, and totally mismanaged. Yes, Bush was a jewel. He even looked in to the eyes of Putin and saw that he had a good heart.

BTW-- Obama is far from a leftist. He is much more of a centrist and thank god he thinks things through before engaging the total war machine. Then again, he doesn't have a VP who would stand to become wealthy through the war contracts given to Halliburton.

willardguy - 2-11-2015 at 11:58 AM

in all fairness this thread is about the pope!;)

David K - 2-11-2015 at 12:24 PM

Ah, to wear rose colored glasses and sing kum Ba Yah as the country falls, with more people without full time jobs than when St. Barry was anointed and more on Food Stamps... surely the great nation envisioned by our Forefathers?

monoloco - 2-11-2015 at 01:13 PM

Ah, to wear rose colored glasses and sing kum Ba Yah as the country falls, with more people without full time jobs than when St. Barry was anointed and more on Food Stamps... surely the great nation envisioned by our Forefathers?
I shouldn't have to point out that there were a lot more people on food stamps and without full time jobs when GWB exited office than when he entered. There were also a lot more American soldiers who were dead or maimed for life as well as a couple of hundred thousand less Iraqis and a completely destabilized middle east. Yep, those were the good old days!

woody with a view - 2-11-2015 at 01:21 PM

not taking sides here, just playing devils advocate. what about letting Egypt fall and turn into a mess. what about failing to do anything in Libya when they gave up their nukes-it's a garden spot these days. how about Yemen which our feckless leader called a "true bright spot" which just had our embassy evacuated?

both sides are part of the same equation. it doesn't matter who is in control because the lobbyists pull the strings. quit pointing fingers at each other and lets light the torches and grab the pitchforks and take this country back so that reasonable common sense ideas prevail.

I'm going back to work now! carry on.....

Pompano - 2-11-2015 at 02:12 PM

Politics and Religion in the same thread.

A possible response: "Wow! That‟s interesting! How'd you come to that conclusion? Tell me more about what led you to this perspective."

Ateo - 2-11-2015 at 02:42 PM

Heard yesterday we've had the best 3 month period of job growth in the last 17 years.

bajabuddha - 2-11-2015 at 02:52 PM

Yet another pearl from the Great Oyster. One more and there'll be enough for a necklace.

Who was it who got Bin Laden? Oh yeah, the conservative SEALs (under the current CIC I believe).

DAVID K. & BARRY A. ~ 2016

No offense meant to oysters; at least they can strain out something good from what they take in.....

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by bajabuddha]

Can we get back to the fair friar

Skipjack Joe - 2-11-2015 at 02:56 PM

toneart - 2-11-2015 at 03:44 PM

Hurrah, Skipjack Joe!

Jeeze that was funny. Oops, I better not say "Jeeze" for fear that some may confuse the phrase for the late, great JC of Bibical fame.
The Inquisition indeed! :lol::lol::lol:

I would like to see a remake of this, casting duh-duh-duh-DK in the Mel Brooks role. :rolleyes:

bajabuddha - 2-11-2015 at 03:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toneart  
Hurrah, Skipjack Joe!

Jeeze that was funny. Oops, I better not say "Jeeze" for fear that some may confuse the phrase for the late, great JC of Bibical fame.
The Inquisition indeed! :lol::lol::lol:

I would like to see a remake of this, casting duh-duh-duh-DK in the Mel Brooks role. :rolleyes:

Good luck; you can't Torquemada nuthin! :lol:

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by bajabuddha]

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 03:53 PM

Ah, to wear rose colored glasses and sing kum Ba Yah as the country falls,...

David,
What do you sing around the propane ring fire while wearing a welder's helmet? :?:

David K - 2-11-2015 at 04:01 PM

I can't sing Ged and I don't have a propane ring or a welder's helmet. If I did, what would be a fun song?

David K - 2-11-2015 at 04:10 PM

Cool graphic, but that's not my kind of fire. Neat, but do you have a smaller fire, you know the kind that can't be seen from space. ;)

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 04:22 PM

Willardguy.
Oh oh....no more Google Map satellite pics from DK for you....:o

Barry A. - 2-11-2015 at 04:23 PM

Cool graphic, but that's not my kind of fire. Neat, but do you have a smaller fire, you know the kind that can't be seen from space. ;)

LOL Fires like that are normally referred to as "WITCH BURNERS" in my circle of friends, but I suppose that is being racist and prejudiced against some in Haiti, or the Puritans. (can't forget the historical horror of American's practicing 'witch burning' as that certainly reflects current thinking and beliefs according to the POTUS)

( Yeah right!!! )

Barry

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 04:26 PM

I think the Ku Klux Klan has some more recent history in that regard...way more recent version of the Puritans.

Barry A. - 2-11-2015 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I think the Ku Klux Klan has some more recent history in that regard...way more recent version of the Puritans.

Yes, the Klan certainly had way to big fires for my taste-----forgot about them---------certainly a reason to not criticize Radical Muslims for their transgressions less we offend. After all, the Klan may be construed to represent us all. :rolleyes:

Barry

Skipjack Joe - 2-11-2015 at 04:42 PM

You're timing is perfect about David:

bajabuddha - 2-11-2015 at 04:52 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bajabuddha - 2-11-2015 at 06:25 PM

Getting back to topic, one thing occurred to me; the historical philosophers on this thread have often referred to the historical standards of 'doing God's work' in that era, with enslavement, torture and killing done in the Name Of God (much like the Mormons and Blood Atonement)..... but what about the THEN actions like the NOW actions of Altar Boys doing God's Work for their Lord's leaders? Rape and sodomy?

I just cannot help but feel, "canonize them all...... with cannons".... preferably Howitzer. :light:

David K - 2-11-2015 at 07:01 PM

Mongo like candy :biggrin:

Cisco - 2-11-2015 at 08:29 PM

Mongo like candy :biggrin:

Fox 'Historian': Plenty of Evidence for Atheists to Believe That Jonah Was Swallowed By the Whale

http://www.alternet.org/belief/fox-historian-plenty-evidence...

David K - 2-12-2015 at 09:35 AM

I don't know much about foxes, do you? They are like small coyotes, right?

:lol:

bezzell - 2-12-2015 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

Fox 'Historian': Plenty of Evidence for Atheists to Believe That Jonah Was Swallowed By the Whale

http://www.alternet.org/belief/fox-historian-plenty-evidence...

wwwhoa. That's just scary!!

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW7607YiBso)

motoged - 2-12-2015 at 02:49 PM

Bezzell,
Thank you for that Youtube link....it is a treat to discover two intelligent people I had not been previously aware of..... Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens.

Encountering such minds is humbling....although I don't agree with all positions taken by Hitchens ( such as Holocaust position)

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by motoged]

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by motoged]

bezzell - 2-12-2015 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Bezzell,
Thank you for that Youtube link....it is a treat to discover two intelligent people

... scare me, thought you were gonna invoke DK and Barry guy :P

David K - 2-12-2015 at 03:40 PM

Invoke me... to do what?, lol... I did start this thread, so I am invoked already, yes?

Cisco - 2-12-2015 at 03:53 PM

Invoke me... to do what?, lol... I did start this thread, so I am invoked already, yes?

Yes, I think that's it and an invocation to be proud of. It has brought many to the fount. (I think that's what it's called).

Oh, had been meaning to ask you DK. I do appreciate your investigation and historical reference to a very important part of Baja history and I thank you, I have learned much.

Gives you a good excuse to go south also, better than most of us have.

Question please, I know of no one else that may have some reference to this.

Did the Padres ever, like, put a bud in the censer for special occasion mass?

Or maybe just to draw in the faithful every mass.

I'd go. I do believe in censers.

motoged - 2-12-2015 at 04:11 PM

A bud in the censer????

.....Holy Smoke, what an idea....:light:

David K - 2-12-2015 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

Yes, I think that's it and an invocation to be proud of. It has brought many to the fount. (I think that's what it's called).

Oh, had been meaning to ask you DK. I do appreciate your investigation and historical reference to a very important part of Baja history and I thank you, I have learned much.

Gives you a good excuse to go south also, better than most of us have.

Question please, I know of no one else that may have some reference to this.

Did the Padres ever, like, put a bud in the censer for special occasion mass?

Or maybe just to draw in the faithful every mass.

I'd go. I do believe in censers.

Thank you.

I have not read of any such activity in Baja back then.

I see this upon doing a search:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censer
Wikipedia
Incense burner set from Japan's Edo period, 17th century ... Needham, some early Daoists adapted censers for the religious and spiritual use of cannabis.

Then there is this web site: http://www.salvationanointed.com/about-the-church/the-holy-h...

bajabuddha - 2-12-2015 at 04:51 PM

"I used to be all messed up on drugs, until I found The Lord.......... Now I'm all messed up on...... THE LORD!"

..... Cheech n' Chong

David K - 2-12-2015 at 04:56 PM

I knew someone who told me that Marijuana was God's way of saying "Hi" ("High"?)!

sargentodiaz - 6-4-2015 at 12:21 PM

As we got closer to Pope Francis' visit to the USA in Sept, I'm re-posting some things about Father Serra I wrote back in 2012. In addition, I just posted my personal views and opinions of the friar. Check it out @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

As always, comments are welcome.

sargentodiaz - 6-21-2015 at 04:03 PM

Posted Part IV about Father Serra on my blog @ http://msgdaleday.blogspotcom

David K - 6-21-2015 at 10:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sargentodiaz  
Posted Part IV about Father Serra on my blog @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Thanks Dale... you missed a dot . before the com in your link, I added it above.

http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com/

sargentodiaz - 6-26-2015 at 12:44 PM

California legislators renew push against Junipero Serra, saint and Hispanic 'founding father'

Coming from California legislators, this doesn't surprise me. They lean so far to the left that all the doorways in the capitol building had to be rebuilt so they could get through them.

At least one group is fighting back, Salvemos a Serra (http://www.salvemosaserra.com/) or Let's Save Serra. To date, more than 46,000 Californians have signed English and Spanish petitions on CitizenGo.org asking that the attempt to removed the blessed father's statue from the US Capitol Rotunda.

Why are they doing this? Who are they pandering to? I see no big movement among the California Spanish community. There's nothing on Latino television or in their newspapers. The only “Indians” complaining about this are small bands, many of whom never even lived in areas affected by the missions!

Why aren't they complaining about the first American governor of California who, in 1840, had them rounded up and deposited on “reservations” in areas not wanted by the Yanks? :mad:

The story comes from http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/california-legislator...

norte - 6-26-2015 at 04:42 PM

46,000 out of 39 million. .1% hmmm...not bad for a start I guess.

Those pesky Indians complaining again. Instead of deriding them, why not promote giving something back that was taken from them.

sargentodiaz - 6-27-2015 at 06:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Those pesky Indians complaining again. Instead of deriding them, why not promote giving something back that was taken from them.

Did you ignore the part of WHO really took so much from them? :mad:

dtbushpilot - 6-27-2015 at 07:42 AM

You're arguing with a troll sargento, he didn't read it, he's just posting to start chit. Just ignore him like everyone else does...

norte - 6-27-2015 at 07:45 AM

No because it does not excuse what happened during the era of Father Serra. To pick something else out of context to justify his actions is just trying to distract from the real issue.

David K - 6-27-2015 at 08:11 AM

If Father Serra had only performed just one gay marriage, then he would be a hero to the left instead of an enemy. Of course even better if he were to denounce God! Think about that!

(as DT pointed out Sargento, there is not much hope of turning norte back north)

DianaT - 6-27-2015 at 08:22 AM

If Father Serra had only performed just one gay marriage, then he would be a hero to the left instead of an enemy. Of course even better if he were to denounce God! Think about that!

(as DT pointed out Sargento, there is not much hope of turning norte back north)

Trolling again? You are so good at it and so good at twisted statements. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

MMc - 6-27-2015 at 08:35 AM

Amazing. The logic is amazing. Feeling a little hurt by the supreme court, are we.

David K - 6-27-2015 at 08:47 AM

jajajajaja I said NOTHING bad, but you guys couldn't wait because it is true! LOL

As a libertarian, the government needs to get out of the people's way, as long as people bring NO harm to anyone else.

[Edited on 6-27-2015 by David K]

norte - 6-27-2015 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

You're arguing with a troll sargento, he didn't read it, he's just posting to start chit. Just ignore him like everyone else does...

Obviously you could not ignore relevant discussion..of course you contributed nothing though.

norte - 6-27-2015 at 09:43 AM

jajajajaja I said NOTHING bad, but you guys couldn't wait because it is true! LOL

As a libertarian, the government needs to get out of the people's way, as long as people bring NO harm to anyone else.

[Edited on 6-27-2015 by David K]

nothing bad? no...just nonsense. and and are you supporting Gary Johnson or Joy Waymire..... when did you switch parties?

elgatoloco - 6-27-2015 at 09:59 AM

Well at least we now know that David K is 100% supporter of same sex marriage.

Know hope.

MMc - 6-27-2015 at 05:28 PM

Well said Elgatloco. Also know that if we disagree with him we are liberals and lefties. I learn new things about myself everyday.

DK if your aunt had nads she be your uncle, a ridiculous statement is just that, ridiculous.

From the Catholic point I see why they will make him a saint. I am surprised there are enough Native Indians to put up much of a fight. Kinda like gay marriage, nobody cares that much ether way if you're not effected by it.

David K - 6-27-2015 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Well at least we now know that David K is 100% supporter of same sex marriage.

Know hope.

Does it matter to you or ANYBODY? No. Should it matter what I think about marriage? No.

What matters is that I am able to provide Baja history and travel details and offer friendship and help to other Nomads... always have, always will.

Let me ask this, is there some sort of point system employed here to bring up my name or initials when I suggest 'thinking' rather than just following what the CNN and MSNBC reports say? It sure is done a lot by a few of you here??

norte - 6-27-2015 at 07:21 PM

poor David. Life is tough when everyone is picking on you...or is it just your defensive mode when you get caught with foot in mouth disease.

David K - 6-27-2015 at 08:12 PM

Poor norte, having a hard time saying anything nice no matter if people agree with you or not?

Marla Daily - 6-27-2015 at 08:39 PM

On September 25, 1988 Junipero Serra was beatified by Pope John Paul II at the Vatican. Through a series of circumstances, I was fortunate to be invited to attend the ceremony. I was seated on the elevated platform outside the Basilica, seven rows to the side of the Pope's left elbow. The Queen of Sweden sat in front of me. The ceremony was spectacular, with 17,000 people of faith crowded in St. Peter's Square below.

I am not a Catholic. As a cultural anthropologist, however, I am fascinated by the strikingly powerful display of ritual. I enjoy learning of other people; other customs and beliefs.

A mere 27 years later, on September 23, by invitation I will be at the National Shrine in Washington, D.C. to witness the canonization of Junipero Serra.

I'm looking forward to it.

vgabndo - 6-27-2015 at 08:59 PM

Guaranteeing gay Americans their Constitutional rights is not a "left/right" thing. Although denying them their rights has certainly been a popular cause with homophobic Christian right wingers.
Joseph Goebbels was a highly talented and accomplished professional in his field. Contemporary media outlets, one of which I assume is important to you, are still using many of the principles he espoused. The problem is that his work contributed to the brainwashing, imprisonment, forced labor, and deaths of a lot of people. This was also the case with Serra. We don't build monuments to honor people like that. We recognize that they had a place in history, and if we are smart we insure that history doesn't repeat itself. The Christian Spaniards tried to rule the world just like the Christian Germans later tried. The brutal imperialism of Christian nations dominates world history but we need, in the 21st. century, to make wiser choices and honor more honorable people. I doubt that you agree with me, but the real heroes of the American west sold guns to the Indians.

MMc - 6-27-2015 at 10:41 PM

This is all true, but a bunch of Indians died Catholic and their souls were saved, lets not forget what's important;.

Move over I need some Kool-Aid.

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  

Guaranteeing gay Americans their Constitutional rights is not a "left/right" thing. Although denying them their rights has certainly been a popular cause with homophobic Christian right wingers.
Joseph Goebbels was a highly talented and accomplished professional in his field. Contemporary media outlets, one of which I assume is important to you, are still using many of the principles he espoused. The problem is that his work contributed to the brainwashing, imprisonment, forced labor, and deaths of a lot of people. This was also the case with Serra. We don't build monuments to honor people like that. We recognize that they had a place in history, and if we are smart we insure that history doesn't repeat itself. The Christian Spaniards tried to rule the world just like the Christian Germans later tried. The brutal imperialism of Christian nations dominates world history but we need, in the 21st. century, to make wiser choices and honor more honorable people. I doubt that you agree with me, but the real heroes of the American west sold guns to the Indians.

Lee - 6-28-2015 at 11:44 AM

Let me ask this, is there some sort of point system employed here to bring up my name or initials when I suggest 'thinking' rather than just following what the CNN and MSNBC reports say? It sure is done a lot by a few of you here??

David -- what reports do you recommend instead of CNN and MSNBC? I follow all of them -- even mildly interested in what Rush and Beck have to say.

What makes you think nomads don't think?

Why do you make everything left or right?

Why must you continually ''suggest'' anything political or think it's your job to ''enlighten'' nomads, generally, about your politics?

toneart - 6-28-2015 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Trolling again? You are so good at it and so good at twisted statements. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DK is just having a Huckabee moment while on the toilet. :rolleyes: He claims innocence by stating that he only exists here to supply Baja history and to help people, but then he trolls with such biased, inflammatory, ignorant statements and ruins it. How can anybody give him any credibility as a historian when he ruins it like this? Why would anybody even look at his Baja history posts except for extreme right wingers who tune in for that instead of the history. Help people? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Why am I even commenting on this DK thread? I too was on the toilet and just couldn't hold it.

bajaguy - 6-28-2015 at 03:27 PM

Marla......Why Washington, DC instead of Spain or Mexico??

Quote: Originally posted by Marla Daily  
On September 25, 1988 Junipero Serra was beatified by Pope John Paul II at the Vatican. Through a series of circumstances, I was fortunate to be invited to attend the ceremony. I was seated on the elevated platform outside the Basilica, seven rows to the side of the Pope's left elbow. The Queen of Sweden sat in front of me. The ceremony was spectacular, with 17,000 people of faith crowded in St. Peter's Square below.

I am not a Catholic. As a cultural anthropologist, however, I am fascinated by the strikingly powerful display of ritual. I enjoy learning of other people; other customs and beliefs.

A mere 27 years later, on September 23, by invitation I will be at the National Shrine in Washington, D.C. to witness the canonization of Junipero Serra.

I'm looking forward to it.

vgabndo - 6-28-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

rquote]

DK is just having a Huckabee moment while on the toilet. :rolleyes: He claims innocence by stating that he only exists here to supply Baja history and to help people, but then he trolls with such biased, inflammatory, ignorant statements and ruins it. How can anybody give him any credibility as a historian when he ruins it like this? Why would anybody even look at his Baja history posts except for extreme right wingers who tune in for that instead of the history. Help people? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Why am I even commenting on this DK thread? I too was on the toilet and just couldn't hold it.

I don't know anything about helping people, Tony, but I found his book on a friend's shelf and read it. It doesn't take long. I found it thin both physically and in content. I've been a history writer/researcher/speaker for decades and I was unimpressed. If it had been a dinner invitation, my reaction would have been akin to going home hungry. I went on line and read a few pages that I found much more satisfying. That's just me. I was reminded of the old TV commercial: "Where's the beef?" Admittedly, I would never have bothered to read anything about Catholics bickering among themselves in the course of subjugating indigenous peoples had I not a certain knowledge of one of the authors.

monoloco - 6-28-2015 at 09:57 PM

Why are they doing this? Who are they pandering to? I see no big movement among the California Spanish community. There's nothing on Latino television or in their newspapers. The only “Indians” complaining about this are small bands, many of whom never even lived in areas affected by the missions!

[/rquote] Maybe because the cultures that did live in the areas affected by the missions were destroyed by them.

sargentodiaz - 6-29-2015 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

[/rquote] Maybe because the cultures that did live in the areas affected by the missions were destroyed by them.

Indians thrived in the mission areas when they were run by the Franciscans. Unlike what the PC crowd wants you to think, deaths among the mission Indians was no worse than before the arrival of the friars.

The tribes were NOT even wiped out by Mexican rule that took the missions away from the friars AND the indians. The greatest harm to California Indians came from the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT OF THE STATE.

Pages:  1  2