BajaNomad

Bad news from the Bay of Conception

jack - 1-22-2015 at 11:52 AM

I couldn't make it to the Baja this year, but I just heard from my friend Eric who finally made it to Santispac a few weeks ago. When visiting another buddy Don, he found out that Don was faced with armed robbery. Don arrived at Playa Los Cocos in November and there was only him and 2 other RV's on the beach. Don and his wife were asleep and at 2 AM woke up as someone was knocking on their door and was saying "aqua". Even though his wife said "Don't open the door" Don opened it anyway. Two guys tried to barge in, one with a knife. Don has a class A motorhome with a narrow doorway and you have to go up several steps to get in, lucky for him. He fought back by kicking them and yelling his head off. Before they could gain entry they got scarred off as the other RV's turned on their lights to investigate all the commotion.

[Edited on 1-22-2015 by jack]

Estrella - 1-22-2015 at 11:53 AM

Yes?

motoged - 1-22-2015 at 11:55 AM

Jack,
You have us concerned....what's up?

Sweetwater - 1-22-2015 at 12:10 PM

It's that cut'n'paste demon again....you have to somehow work around it....we're all ears about your concerns.....

jack - 1-22-2015 at 12:18 PM

In the long post I mentioned that many people from Baja Nomad live in Mulege. It would be nice if one of them could drive out to Los Cocos and see Don and get a first hand account of what happened.

willardguy - 1-22-2015 at 01:39 PM

another vote for bear spray!

Estrella - 1-22-2015 at 01:58 PM

Wasp spray, inexpensive and can do two jobs from a distance. Will have a can next to my side of the bed when camping. But really...sad to hear about this. So very glad the robbers were scared off.

micah202 - 1-22-2015 at 02:07 PM

...the wild west is being reclaimed......good for some,,not so good for peaceful gringo's or natives.

edit....^^...bear,wasp spray!?....this may work for now,but how long until the perp gets angry and uses their gun!? :(

..it's a sad reality,but I see my style of independent camping is getting pretty risky,let alone going boating while leaving my camp onshore and isolated in BahiaC.........sad but true. :(:(

[Edited on 1-22-2015 by micah202]

woody with a view - 1-22-2015 at 02:15 PM

or get a recording of a LARGE dog on CD. when someone knocks at 3am pump up the volume!

Tbone - 1-22-2015 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
or get a recording of a LARGE dog on CD. when someone knocks at 3am pump up the volume!

Why not get real dog?

motoged - 1-22-2015 at 03:04 PM

Woody, get the big dog and a tape of Clint Eastwood uttering his best threats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0

woody with a view - 1-22-2015 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tbone  

Why not get real dog?

maintenance!

LancairDriver - 1-22-2015 at 03:08 PM

Last year when I camped at Santispac, another RV there had a very realistic recording of two pump shotguns being chambered followed by a gruff Spanish speaking voice saying "Go ahead, make my day". he said he bought it on Amazon, but I never followed up on finding one.

Marc - 1-22-2015 at 06:09 PM

I'll go with the wasp spray.

Barry A. - 1-22-2015 at 06:11 PM

I would agree, Marc.

Barry

BooJumMan - 1-22-2015 at 07:08 PM

Random side note... Lots of stuff on the internets debunking the myth of wasp spray being more effective than pepper spray! Even bear spray has less OC concentration than human pepper spray.

However, I don't really know since I've never been sprayed nor I haven't sprayed anyone... But the fact that all police use pepper spray makes me think it is more effective?

[Edited on 1-23-2015 by BooJumMan]

Pompano - 1-22-2015 at 07:34 PM

[Don and his wife were asleep and at 2 AM woke up as someone was knocking on their door and was saying "aqua". Even though his wife said "Don't open the door" Don opened it anyway. Two guys tried to barge in, one with a knife.]

"Y'all come on in..and bring your little knife with you!"

Crime expands with our willingness to put up with it.

bajaguy - 1-22-2015 at 07:43 PM

If you use pepper spray in a motorhome, you will have a great story to tell

Justbozo - 1-22-2015 at 08:16 PM

Just remember, for a last ditch defence in an enclosed area that dry chemical extinguisher will snuff out a person just like it will a fire. You better have an escape route!

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2015 at 08:40 PM

very sorry to hear this.

Barry A. - 1-22-2015 at 08:49 PM

This has probably been discussed before, but is "pepper spray" legal in Mexico???

Barry

roundtuit - 1-23-2015 at 08:42 AM

This is a true happening and the story happened like told. I live next beach over and know the couple.:mad::fire::mad:

bear spray !

captkw - 1-23-2015 at 10:32 AM

I can say with confidence its works real good.....don't know about wasp spray...but the bear spray that I used was impressive !! just make sure the wind is not blowing your direction !!! paint red like a fire extingesher!!! no worrys in mex......

bajamedic - 1-23-2015 at 10:39 AM

At the Military Checkpoint between San Felipe and Mexicali, they picked up my Pepper Spray that is next to my drivers seat, smiled and put it back into where it is normally resting with a smile and said something about salsa? :D JH

willardguy - 1-23-2015 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by roundtuit  
This is a true happening and the story happened like told. I live next beach over and know the couple.:mad::fire::mad:

did these folks pack up and head out? I think I might be tempted to find another spot!:(

chuckie - 1-23-2015 at 12:26 PM

I question how wise it is to take on guys with knives or guns, in the middle of the night with a spray can of anything....The days of isolated beach camping are over....

LancairDriver - 1-23-2015 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I question how wise it is to take on guys with knives or guns, in the middle of the night with a spray can of anything....The days of isolated beach camping are over....

x2....never take a spray can to a gunfight.

Mexitron - 1-23-2015 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Random side note... Lots of stuff on the internets debunking the myth of wasp spray being more effective than pepper spray! Even bear spray has less OC concentration than human pepper spray.

However, I don't really know since I've never been sprayed nor I haven't sprayed anyone... But the fact that all police use pepper spray makes me think it is more effective?

[Edited on 1-23-2015 by BooJumMan]

I've heard the same thing.

willardguy - 1-23-2015 at 12:57 PM

pepper spray, bear spray, wasp spray, whatever, at 3 in the morning they all gotta be better than NOTHING?;)

roundtuit - 1-23-2015 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by roundtuit  
People are still there and no more problems. this beach is right next to hy1 so probably someone passing through

did these folks pack up and head out? I think I might be tempted to find another spot!:(

micah202 - 1-23-2015 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

x2....never take a spray can to a gunfight.

...x3....there's enough reports of this nature of attack that I know I'd have to start staying -only- in crowded campgrounds.... not. going. to. happen. :(:(

Losing my whole van in TJ was bad enough 3 years ago.....if we have to add security and munitions to the essentials list,,,me's done and finished. :(

BooJumMan - 1-23-2015 at 01:18 PM

Good point... there must be some sort of data collected on the actual real-use outcome of using pepper sprays on attackers. Do they just fall to the ground in pain, or do they just get super peeed off and start shooting in all directions?!

Barry A. - 1-23-2015 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Good point... there must be some sort of data collected on the actual real-use outcome of using pepper sprays on attackers. Do they just fall to the ground in pain, or do they just get super peeed off and start shooting in all directions?!

I have been sprayed in Training-----------you ONLY want to get that horrible stuff out of your eyes and nose-------period. It's very effective on most people, but not all.

Barry

bajagrouper - 1-23-2015 at 02:29 PM

Maybe Don will listen to his wife next time,LOL

alacran - 1-23-2015 at 06:05 PM

Ammonia water in a spray bottle, works great around the eyes or nose.
Other uses clean windshields, scorpion, wasp sting.
No permit required.

Is "pepper spray" legal in Mexico???

durrelllrobert - 1-23-2015 at 06:11 PM

Nothing is legal in Mexico unless you are law enforcement/ military or are connected to a Cartel.

bajabuddha - 1-23-2015 at 11:24 PM

DON'T

OPEN

THE

DOOR !!!!

___(insert personal description here)_____ :light:

bajabuddha - 1-23-2015 at 11:31 PM

... May I also add, with all the protections, weapons, devices, also keep your vehicle key ring close to the door (my key hook)... I have the leetle electric button-thingy with the panic button feature; will work from RV to truck, all lights and horns go off, open a window and start screaming. Oh, did I mention, ''DON'T OPEN THE DOOR" ??

NOBODY comes by at 2:00 am looking for agua. You've been pegged, especially if you're only 2 vehicles on Coco's. Or any other of the beaches; if you camp alone, YOU'RE BEING WATCHED.

............ "Late at night while y'er sleepin' Ol' Charlie comes a-creepin' all arouuuuuund, all around.........."

Marc - 1-24-2015 at 09:33 AM

"Los Cocos" I can't place it. Where is it in relation to Santispac?

Pompano - 1-24-2015 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
"Los Cocos" I can't place it. Where is it in relation to Santispac?

Marc, Cocos is between Posada and Burros Beach.

bajabuddha - 1-24-2015 at 09:47 AM

It's just south of the Posada complex of houses and entrance to Playa Escondida..... has a large mud flat / mangrove swamp behind it, flat strip of beach w/ palapas, just before going around the point to Los Burros and Bertha's restaurant. Usually full of Canucks that 'reserve' their palapas four months of the year... i'm surprised it is even empty this time of year.