BajaNomad

Looking to get a new FF/GPS combo

drzura - 2-17-2015 at 06:13 PM

Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a new FF/GPS combo, either a Lowrance or Simrad unit I am thinking. Are the Navionics charts pretty accurate for the SOC, particularly around Santa Rosalia/San Bruno? Before I shell out some coin for a unit, I want to confirm the charts are decent. Thanks...

Damion

Pacifico - 2-17-2015 at 08:13 PM

I bought the Lowrance HDS 8. The chart I purchased was the Navionics Platinum Plus (if I remember right)...the charts don't seem too bad. I've used them mostly in Bola and the Midriff Islands. Lots of rocks, etc. marked well.

Pescador - 2-18-2015 at 08:32 AM

The only charts that are accurate for our area are the Navionics charts so you are stuck with the above mentioned units. I greatly prefer the Garmin or Furuno, but they do not take Navionics.

Alan - 2-18-2015 at 08:58 AM

I also liked my Garmin plotter and my Furuno sounder but the Garmin charts were nowhere close to being accurate as it usually indicated that I was trolling across or along the ridge of Cerralvo Island.

When it came time to finally upgrade my electronics I went with the Simrad NSS Evo 2 primarily due to its ability to use Navionics charts. So far it appears to be pretty accurate. In the La Paz area there are several very small pinnacle rocks and the Navionics charts have been spot on as I navigate towards them on the plotter until they show on my sounder.

drzura - 2-18-2015 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I also liked my Garmin plotter and my Furuno sounder but the Garmin charts were nowhere close to being accurate as it usually indicated that I was trolling across or along the ridge of Cerralvo Island.

When it came time to finally upgrade my electronics I went with the Simrad NSS Evo 2 primarily due to its ability to use Navionics charts. So far it appears to be pretty accurate. In the La Paz area there are several very small pinnacle rocks and the Navionics charts have been spot on as I navigate towards them on the plotter until they show on my sounder.

I am pretty sure that I am going to purchase the NSS7 evo2. From what I have seen on Youtube and the little hands-on at Westmarine, it looks like a decent unit.

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by drzura]

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by drzura]

Lobsterman - 2-18-2015 at 04:42 PM

I went with this SIMRAD NSS unit due to its large markdown and compatibility to my current Lowrance systems. It's similar to the newer EVO model but without a few functions I probably would never use. I like the 12" display for my old eyes and cuz it is compatible with my deep water TM-260 for one of the two transducer inputs. Also accepts my current Navionics chart.

I'm upgrading from a 10" Lowrance LCX-111chd which I'll be selling with 20 years of WPs around San Diego and Los Coronados.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Simrad-NSS12-SonarHub-Transducer-...

Lengua - 2-19-2015 at 10:25 AM

Raymarine also uses the Navionics charts and has worked well in Santa Rosalia and La Paz for us.

drzura - 2-20-2015 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Nice. I just ordered the Nss7 evo2 today. I am looking at getting the Navico TM150 Chirp transducer. Which transducer do you use?

Alan - 2-20-2015 at 10:17 PM

That's the one I'm using and I have been very pleased