BajaNomad

Bahia Asuncion Cowboys

Whale-ista - 2-22-2015 at 04:31 PM

In January, after a day of whalewatching, I visited Shari and Baha Asuncion for the first time.

We were lucky to be there for these sunset "races"- actually, a good excuse to get together, share food and beer, and show off some horsemanship. The older riders coached some of the younger men on the finer points of racing.

Spectators were asked to donate 15 pesos to the local police fund before entering the area, trucks lined the "racetrack," and a good time was had by all!

[img]Cowboys2 by Lori76, on Flickr[/img]

[img]Cowboy by Lori76, on Flickr[/img]

AKgringo - 2-22-2015 at 05:58 PM

I always thought they were called 'Cabelleros'. If my poor Spanish is correct, wouldn't that make them 'horse boys'?
Who was riding the cows?

Whale-ista - 2-22-2015 at 08:55 PM

great question!

yes, it is "caballeros" which morphed into "cowboys" over time.
And most of the spectators watched from their troques.

Spanglish. Gotta love it.

Whale-ista - 2-23-2015 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I always thought they were called 'Cabelleros'. If my poor Spanish is correct, wouldn't that make them 'horse boys'?
Who was riding the cows?

The vaqueros?

woody with a view - 2-23-2015 at 09:10 PM

if a horse is a caballo then the guy riding it is a caballero. a cow herder (cowboy?) would be a vaquero=vaca=cow.

I think?

Whale-ista - 2-23-2015 at 09:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
if a horse is a caballo then the guy riding it is a caballero. a cow herder (cowboy?) would be a vaquero=vaca=cow.

I think?

Maybe a caballero is simply a "horseman" - someone who rides?
Add the cows and you get "vaqueros"?

Unless you're in Patagonia...then they're "gauchos." And they use a bolo instead of a lariat. And llamas instead of cows.

And the outfits are completely different, though the lifestyle has a lot in common.

Basque, Spaniard, Mexican- it's all about enjoying the wide open range/plains/pampas...

vgabndo - 2-23-2015 at 09:25 PM

That's the way I always thought it was Woody. I can tell you there were some really beautifully spirited animals there, and some truly fine horsemanship demonstrated. The guy with a saddle was a rarity. The smallest guys on the biggest steeds just had their knees tucked under a strap. It was impressive. I left at dark, and they still had only had two "races".

boe4fun - 2-24-2015 at 07:07 AM

The horse races are always a treat down in BA. At the first one we went to there was a vendor selling ice cream out of the front of his rolling ice chest - and cold TKT out of the rear....

woody with a view - 2-24-2015 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

I think?

Maybe a caballero is simply a "horseman" - someone who rides?
Add the cows and you get "vaqueros"?

whom rides cows?:?::lol:

shari - 2-24-2015 at 01:31 PM

the cowboys are called vaqueros in our barrio! and very sexy!

Alan - 2-25-2015 at 02:06 PM

Its funny that I just had this very conversation last month with some of my Mexican friends as to what the Spanish word for Cowboy was. After much discussion (and perhaps even more tequila) I can't remember what they finally agreed upon that night but the next day they both called to say we were all wrong and that the correct word was Vaqueros.:biggrin:

woody with a view - 2-25-2015 at 09:10 PM

I think caballero is a olden Spanish word from the old country to signify a distinguished gentleman. Vaquero is a cow-boy/man.

wilderone - 3-2-2015 at 08:00 AM

"caballero is a olden Spanish word from the old country to signify a distinguished gentleman"
Si - that is my understanding. I watched a speech by X-President Fox who addressed the crowd "caballeros".

pelone - 3-3-2015 at 08:35 PM

The language is wonderful. I particularly like the word "cabalgada"....:)