BajaNomad

Empanadas

vacaenbaja - 2-28-2015 at 09:51 AM

I am going to give my mom a hand at making a batch of empanadas. I hope to learn how to make these fried dough
meat filled delights on my own. Does anyone have a recipe
that they would like to share? I will post the one I will be making
once I get it from mom. My mom at 81 finds it a bit tiring to knead out the dough and roll out the wrappers. So even though I
am not good at that part I will get to practice with the rolling pin
and that snapback dough and hopefully I can make them round.

monoloco - 2-28-2015 at 09:55 AM

They are way better, and healthier, baked in the oven.

Udo - 2-28-2015 at 11:24 AM

Go to the website www.epicurious.com or www.saveur.com

They are my go to websites when I need a great recipe.

bajalearner - 2-28-2015 at 11:27 AM

I don't have a recipe or any idea of how to make them but I will be happy to taste test them...:bounce:

monoloco - 2-28-2015 at 12:45 PM

Here's a recipe.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012491-baked-meat-filled...

quick dough for Ur empanada

blackwolfmt - 2-28-2015 at 05:53 PM

Really simple and quick dough, I make this dough for everything from empanadas to pizza crust, calzones raviolli ect,,,,
just for example 1 cup flour, appx 1/2 to 1/3 rd cup fresh warm beer, 1tsp canola or whatever oil, 2 tsp baking powder a little sea salt, it will work with just flour, beer & salt but the dough is softer and more pliable with the oil,, Mix together until it is not sticky and feels like a nice pizza dough roll out with a rollling pin or a can of beer, cut in squares for Emps or rav's, or have a pizza, Nice thing about this recipe is the yeast in the warm beer helps the dough rise fast and a single person can have a pizza or Emp in a snap, and if Ur not in a hurry you can let it proof a bit longer for a lighter flakier crust,
jus my 2 cents

alacran - 3-1-2015 at 12:40 AM

I use the inormation on "Empanadas Argentinas,, " ground meat and Taco Bell, seasoning.
Cut dough with round plastic dish, fill with meat, fold over seal with egg white and deep fry in vegetable oil.
Muy rico.

bajalinda - 3-1-2015 at 07:38 AM

Interesting dough recipe, blackwolfmt. How many empanadas do you get out of it, mas o menos? I'm guessing that would make enough dough for a small, one-person pizza, right? Double it for a large pizza?

Really prefer oven-baked empanadas too!

24baja - 3-1-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vacaenbaja  
I am going to give my mom a hand at making a batch of empanadas. I hope to learn how to make these fried dough
meat filled delights on my own. Does anyone have a recipe
that they would like to share? I will post the one I will be making
once I get it from mom. My mom at 81 finds it a bit tiring to knead out the dough and roll out the wrappers. So even though I
am not good at that part I will get to practice with the rolling pin
and that snapback dough and hopefully I can make them round.

This is wonderful that you are learning from your mom. We have passed a homemade egg noodle recipie down from grandma to grandchild for 7 generations and it means the world to our family. We dont eat them as much as we used to but we still pass it on. Happy eating!