BajaNomad

Gonzaga bay fishing

fishmonster - 3-2-2015 at 02:01 PM

Some friends and I are heading to san Felipe and gonzaga bay this weekend. We plan to hire a panga to go fishing in San Felipe. Not sure if we'll find a panga at gonzaga bay. Anyone have advise for shore fishing around gonzaga bay if we can't find a boat to take us out?

willardguy - 3-2-2015 at 02:30 PM

good timing, the weather should be beautiful!

paranewbi - 3-2-2015 at 03:22 PM

Pretty sure there's more than just this source...
Try Papa Fernandez's for a panga hire.

Martyman - 3-2-2015 at 04:55 PM

Decent shore fishing doesn't start until Campo La Costilla.

redhilltown - 3-3-2015 at 12:40 AM

As Martyman says, don't throw a hook in the water until at least that point.

You can try El Faro to the north and then in between El Faro and Punta Bufeo there are a couple of notches out of the mountains that you can get thru to the ocean...there is a hill to one and you better have 4x4 and know your rig!

Corvina are usually around so any decent beach will give you a shot..plus the Triggers and Spotted Bay Bass. Last few times there the gill netters had been hammering the area (as to Gonzaga Bay) ...let's hope there are fish left. Bring some squid and please let us know how it went!

Cliffy - 3-28-2015 at 05:52 PM

So I'm getting the feeling that no one wants to talk about the fishing around Gonzaga Bay. I fished there back in the 70s and would like to know how it is today but if no one wants to talk?
Come on-someone open up We're all waiting!

Rossman - 3-29-2015 at 10:43 AM

I am a kayak fisherman and have been to Bahia Gonzaga a lot. While I have not concentrated on shore fishing very much, I have caught a number of combination and convince off the beach. The spotted Bay bass and triggers are ever present. Krocodile spoons are my go to lures in the shallow water and megabaits and irons in deeper water.
There is a kayak fishing site called Big Waters Edge which has a tremendous amount of info about fishing Gonzaga. Go to the forums and search for Gonzaga or Encantatas and you will find lots of info even as recent as last week where a friend of mine landed a 57 inch white sea bass in the bay.

Good luck

Rossman - 3-29-2015 at 10:54 AM

That would be corbina and corvina on my previous post. Darn spellchecker.....

Cliffy - 3-29-2015 at 11:39 AM

Cool I'll look it up THANKS!

Cliffy - 3-29-2015 at 07:55 PM

Looked it up Good reports Thanks