BajaNomad

Wildest things you've seen on/in the waters off Baja?

Pompano - 1-5-2005 at 05:47 PM

here's a whale shark in front of our place...springtime 2 years ago.. a 22 footer...measured him against our boat. Then tried to ride it...whoa, it sounded.:O

Pompano - 1-5-2005 at 05:50 PM

please excuse the poor photo with some tears...I am taking them off my photo mural board and not doing so well..

Not too unusual, but certainly my most impressive...

vgabndo - 1-5-2005 at 07:18 PM

We were fishing live bait in about 250 feet of water of Punta Santa Teresa when we started hearing whales. We couldn't see any anywhere. Finally, clear out at the horizon we saw some blow. Slowly, five Blue Whales came right at us. Four veered off, but this big boy went right under us! From a 16 foot boat a couple of miles at sea, it was phreeking HUGE.
I turned and CREPT up behind him, when he sounded, the vortices on the surface from his flukes could have been seen from space!

Pompano - 1-5-2005 at 08:05 PM

Vagbndo, Nice whale encounter! We too have seen lots of whale in that area. Once came upon 3 finback together...2 males and one female in their mating ritual of 1 male helping to hold the female while the other mates. Quite a sight. Another time we were in the middle of 7 going around us like we were the hub of a wheel.

While fishing off Pta. Theresa for pintos this blue shark came up after our catch. We let him swim around and eat 2 pintos...no contest there.

bajaandy - 1-6-2005 at 08:10 AM

No photo, but while surfing the beach break south of La Mission, a juvenile whale surfaced right next to me. I about messed my wetsuit! When the shock wore off, I tried to paddle after it, but it was too fast for me. Really makes a person feel small when something that big is right up next to you.

Pompano - 1-6-2005 at 03:27 PM

We flew over many grey whales on the Pacific side...these were in Mag Bay, February last year. After landing we went out in Zodiaks and gently floated amongst the cows and calfs....really an experience everyone should have.

Hint: if you go out whale watching in Mag Bay try to get out in a rubber sided dinghy, like a Zodiak, because it won't spook the whales quite as much as the hard sided pangas. You can approach much closer and be registered as less of a threat to the calves. Soft sides are echo sounding compatibles. I have an 'eyeball to eyeball' photo somewhere around here and will try to post.

LOL!

JESSE - 1-6-2005 at 04:04 PM

Satellite Man - 1-7-2005 at 06:37 PM

Cool topic Pompano!!

Loved all the pictures. I wish I had some to contribute. :(

I would love to see more.

Thanks all!

Orcas

Sallysouth - 1-7-2005 at 07:39 PM

In the channel between Danzante and Carmen,following the pod south,stopping when they did but a little ahead of them. They were teaching their young to hunt and the "victim"was a small porpoise. All around the boat, under and to the sides, they would surface, throwing the small fish high into the air. A large Male swam along side of the boat and we touched his huge dorsal fin! All aboard the El Fuerte were on the bow of the boat watching this spectacle. Feeling just a bit overwhelmed and maybe a bit frightened, I climbed down to the back of the boat and sat on the transom, catching my breath! Sensing a movement to my right (about a foot away) I looked to see a huge Male Orca with his head resting on the swim step, looking up at me with his huge eye! He just stayed there while my daughter tried to scramble down from the bow with her camera. She got there just in time to get a picture,but the dang camera was out of space(digital)!! And the huge whale just stayed there to get a good look at us too!!Never, ever will I forget that experience and the feelings and energy that surrounded us that day.For the whole story, including our friend onboard who decided to jump in the water with them go to www. Elfuerte.com/archives (may 2003,I think):O

Pompano - 1-8-2005 at 04:40 PM

A big one ... that should have got away.