Ken Cooke - 3-11-2015 at 07:46 PM

1942 Baja Pole Line Run

Trail Boss - Ken Cooke
Cell - (951) 255-1589
Dates - April 4th, 5th, 6th, 2015

Meeting Place - Pep Boys - 400 Imperial Ave. Calexico, CA 92231
Meeting Time - 8 am
Departure is at 8:30 am

Mexican Travel Insurance is required for your vehicle for street travel through the Mexicali-area.

Note: "Off-road travel" is not covered on Mexican Travel Insurance policies.

Trip type - Bobtail camping - Pack for mild nights.

2 Gerry Cans and a full tank of gas required.

Enter Mexico with EMPTY gas cans. We will top everything off in Progreso - along Highway 2 on the outskirts of Mexicali.

9:30 am -- Mexican-style Brunch at ASADERO MORLAN #2
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asadero-Morlan/16041247068355...

Official Run Apparel

Ken Cooke - 3-11-2015 at 07:57 PM

Official Run Apparel can be ordered by sending me a U2U
Shipping costs $5.75 (free if attending Pole Line Run in April)

link to thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77686

ehall - 3-12-2015 at 07:21 AM

Looking forward to some fun. Tacos and a cerveza for brunch. yummy

Can't wait

John M - 3-12-2015 at 03:34 PM

Both me and the Toyota are ready!

John M

Ken Cooke - 3-12-2015 at 06:49 PM

Brunch will be very good. I love Asadero Morlan #2. Great Mexican eatery with great prices. The meats are smoked and marinated to perfection. They also pack food to-go. Which is a plus when thinking about lunch at Cohabuzo Junction later that day.

Rates as of March 12, 2015

Ken Cooke - 3-12-2015 at 06:56 PM

Gasoline prices are hovering around $3.50/gallon at Pemex for Magna.

$1 USD = 14.66 (Mexican Peso) Kiosk-rate
$1 USD = 14.97 (Mexican Peso) Typical Credit Card rate [OANDA]

TMW - 3-13-2015 at 12:03 PM

The gas here in Bako is approching that.

durrelllrobert - 3-13-2015 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
$3.29-$3.99 is the range around here.

If the price of diesel gets any higher I'll have to use a ladder to fill my truck

ehall - 3-13-2015 at 06:38 PM

Totally emptying the inside and outside of the jeep, including my tool and parts bags to check for ammo. I suggest anyone who shoots to do the same. I do this same ritual every time I plan on crossing the border.

Ken Cooke - 3-13-2015 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The gas here in Bako is approching that.

Prices should start to ease in the next week or two.

http://www.riversidegasprices.com/news/Tentative_refinery_de...

PaulW - 3-14-2015 at 08:49 AM

FYI
PMEX
Mx3K120.5, new one 2 blocks S 1 block W in V Trinidad
Mx2 K15
Mx5 K10.4, and 15.5, and 31.1
Other noted places
La Ventana Mx5K106/106.5
W to Saldana Mx5K89.3
W to L salida Mx5K48.8,and k40
Durango Jct Mx5 K31.3
MX2/Mx5 Jct Mx2k12, Mx5K8

David K - 3-14-2015 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Totally emptying the inside and outside of the jeep, including my tool and parts bags to check for ammo. I suggest anyone who shoots to do the same. I do this same ritual every time I plan on crossing the border.

Also, if any of you use medical marijuana (or non-medical), clear out ANY 'stuff' including pipes, papers, bongs... Mexico is not the amigo country if you get caught with anything questionable.

Fernweh - 3-15-2015 at 07:04 AM

Hello Ken,

I would like to join you and your team, for the Pole Line Road Run, and might join David on his search effort as well.
Need to buy some new KO's for my truck, otherwise it should be ready.

Will see you at the Pep Boys in Calexico

Karl

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
FYI
PMEX
Mx3K120.5, new one 2 blocks S 1 block W in V Trinidad
Mx2 K15
Mx5 K10.4, and 15.5, and 31.1
Other noted places
La Ventana Mx5K106/106.5
W to Saldana Mx5K89.3
W to L salida Mx5K48.8,and k40
Durango Jct Mx5 K31.3
MX2/Mx5 Jct Mx2k12, Mx5K8

Great info! Thanks!

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Hello Ken,

I would like to join you and your team, for the Pole Line Road Run, and might join David on his search effort as well.

Karl

Great! See you there!

David K - 3-15-2015 at 09:48 AM

Hello Ken,

Karl

Sounds great!

MICK (check your U2U)

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 10:19 AM

I have a question for you.

A couple of issues

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 10:42 AM

My cooling system has been nagging me for an overhaul. I'm going to look at the oil pump and whether or not it is doing its' job. Also, a new fan clutch is ready and on stand-by.

I also have Alloy axle shafts and G2 4.88 gears I want to have installed for the run, but not sure if I have time to break them in before Baja.

I'll definitely have the cooling system/oil pump installed before Baja.

CB needed

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 10:49 AM

Does anyone have a handheld CB radio that David K can borrow?

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 12:35 PM

Mike and Larry (from San Vicente, BCN) will rendezvous with our group from the South Summit hill. CB Communications channel 4 at the top of every hour).

bajatrailrider - 3-15-2015 at 02:52 PM

Thank you Ken,We are hoping to go,Also to get our rigs ready.Also if this gruop lets us go on ride. Me 14 Nissan 4x4. Mike Yucca Valley,or Baja home 03 Toy TRD 4x4. Wil from Rosirita retired Navy.Well set up Bronco 4x4 from the 90s.

MICK - 3-15-2015 at 02:56 PM

I have one that plugs into. A lighter and has a magnetic antenna
Ken got your message and am open if someone needs to be here

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  

MICK - A gentleman named David Keir from a Baja forum would like to use it. Says his Toyota came from the factory with 8-track or something like that.

David K - 3-15-2015 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

MICK - A gentleman named David Keir from a Baja forum would like to use it. Says his Toyota came from the factory with 8-track or something like that.

You know, if you are going to abuse me, at least spell my name correctly! :lol:

Ken Cooke - 3-15-2015 at 05:54 PM

You know, if you are going to abuse me, at least spell my name correctly! :lol:

Just poking fun at you. I know you will comment on your vehicle's A-Trac system on this run.

David K - 3-16-2015 at 06:00 PM

Hello Ken,

Karl

Mercedes 4X4? We met at a Discover Baja event, yes?

Fernweh - 3-17-2015 at 12:55 PM

Hello Ken,

Karl

Si, Senor....

David K - 3-17-2015 at 02:13 PM

Great... and thank you for keeping the historic roads open in Baja with all your work!

Fernweh - 3-17-2015 at 03:13 PM

Great... and thank you for keeping the historic roads open in Baja with all your work!

Not me....that's my friend and Landsmann Harald Pietschmann (4x4abc)
I'm just a helper, but similar truck.

Ken Cooke - 3-17-2015 at 05:20 PM

Hello Ken,

Karl

I would retire my Rubicon for a world-class Mercedes Benz like yours!

ehall - 3-18-2015 at 04:48 AM

Does the plr dump you out in valle de trinidad? All the maps that were posted had that part cut off.

TMW - 3-18-2015 at 08:20 AM

No the PLR goes away from Trinidad toward the east. Where Ken starts the PLR run is at the bottom of the summit. Over the summit one road comes out to Hwy 3 at KM108 which is west of Trinidad by about 14 KM.

David K - 3-18-2015 at 08:36 AM

The 1942 Pole Line Road as shown in the 1962 Lower California Guidebook:

The Pole Line Road highlighted in blue on the 2009 Baja Almanac:

TMW - 3-18-2015 at 08:45 AM

On DKs map above with the blue line the summit is where it says Jamau. Trinidad is in the lower left where it says Card##as.

TMW - 3-18-2015 at 08:47 AM

Doug you really do need to fix the software. How can (en) be a problem.

David K - 3-18-2015 at 08:55 AM

Doug you really do need to fix the software. How can (en) be a problem.

Card##as = Card-e-n-as

That's too funny?! Doug??

ehall - 3-18-2015 at 10:05 AM

Thanks, I thought we were running East to West. Doesn't matter to me either way. Looking forward to the trip.

David K - 3-18-2015 at 10:37 AM

Thanks, I thought we were running East to West. Doesn't matter to me either way. Looking forward to the trip.

As before I think Ken is going south via Laguna Salada and Cohabuzo Jcn. to the bottom of the Summit grade... then east. Since his run ends at or 4 miles west of Arroyo Grande, doing the Lost Diaz Grave search after works perfect to do both.

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2015 at 05:00 PM

Definitely west to east. Driving up the bad hill would be too steep for my short wheelbase.

David K - 3-18-2015 at 05:06 PM

Definitely west to east. Driving up the bad hill would be too steep for my short wheelbase.

Bad hill? For a Jeep, bad? What hill is that, Basketball Hill?

I love bad hills...

Bad Hill

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2015 at 06:28 PM

The Bad Hill that shows Neal Johns on the back of your t-shirt. It is steep and very rocky. The sort of hill that leaves no room for error. Thankfully, we are travelling down rather than up it!

Firewood

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2015 at 08:36 PM

There will be plenty of starter wood in the washes, but a nice log will keep camp lit up if we can all bring just a few logs each.

Tioloco - 3-18-2015 at 08:42 PM

Ken-
If you can drive down it, you can go up it. Give it a try.

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2015 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Ken-
If you can drive down it, you can go up it. Give it a try.

Which law of physics are you referencing? :lol:

Tioloco - 3-18-2015 at 08:49 PM

The law that your Jeep will surprise the ..... Out of you. Give it a try- it will leave the Tacoma in the dust!

Tioloco - 3-18-2015 at 08:52 PM

The trophy pic with the Tacoma in it that we have seen a million times is the same hill a motor home went up and down! I do give great respect to the motorhome though.

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2015 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
The law that your Jeep will surprise the ..... Out of you. Give it a try- it will leave the Tacoma in the dust!

This is a planning thread - thanks for the kudos!

MICK - 3-19-2015 at 06:14 PM

By the way, I just had dinner at a small taco stand next to the Pemex in la puerta. Maybe the best torta I have had. Suggest on your way home you stop get gas and food there.
This gas station is 8 mi's from my house
Can't wait
Mick

Ken Cooke - 3-19-2015 at 06:52 PM

14 drivers signed up, so far. This run is looking to be bigger than my BAJA GRANDE runs from several years ago.

*Be sure to RSVP those t-shirts while I still have them in all sizes!

Ken Cooke - 3-19-2015 at 07:16 PM

By the way, I just had dinner at a small taco stand next to the Pemex in la puerta. Maybe the best torta I have had. Suggest on your way home you stop get gas and food there.
This gas station is 8 mi's from my house
Can't wait
Mick

I'll want the name of that Taco Stand!! lol

bajatrailrider - 3-19-2015 at 07:51 PM

I will be working on my truck next few days.Also have firewood at my home.My truck ready,firewood goes too! Who brings the lobster?

Ken Cooke - 3-19-2015 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I will be working on my truck next few days.Also have firewood at my home.My truck ready,firewood goes too! Who brings the lobster?

I suggested to your friend Mike H. that you consider driving up to Laguna Hanson, then camp there for the night. Meet us in Progreso for our Mexican feast. Top off the tanks and cans before the run at the PEMEX along Hwy 2 in Progreso.

bajatrailrider - 3-19-2015 at 10:56 PM

I talked to other freind Wil,about drive all the way,to meet you for breakfast.When you cross border.Motel in the area night before ride starts? Also again (for anybody lives near start and finish) Gas station have Diesel (and yes I will bring 10-15 extra in truck) Where does it end on highway day two?

MICK - 3-20-2015 at 07:07 AM

Pemex in La Puerta has diesel. About 30 miles north of where we get back on Hwy5. If we return to la ventana. Either way not that far.
The name of the taco stand by the station is taqueria los problanos.
Quick question Ken. Is anyone coming to my house the night before the run? Just want to plan for time on where to meet you.

David K - 3-20-2015 at 08:16 AM

Ken has asked me to give a Baja history lecture to the group around the campfire, so bring your questions! I may bring some copies of The Old Missions book for sale if you would like one. Sorry, no PowerPoint slide show, I will have to describe the events and missions well enough for you to form a picture of them! :light::biggrin:

ehall - 3-21-2015 at 03:24 PM

Finally opened gps tracks paul sent me

PaulW - 3-21-2015 at 05:39 PM

Here are the latest version GE screen shots
Send me a U2U with your email address and what format you want for the GPS track.

PaulW - 3-21-2015 at 05:46 PM

Detour detail

PaulW - 3-21-2015 at 05:51 PM

Sorry about the duplication. Here is the missing pic

David K - 3-21-2015 at 06:19 PM

Thanks Paul... good to know the detour detail to get around the washout just east of the T Jcn.

TMW - 3-21-2015 at 08:25 PM

If we are following Ken why would we need any GPS directions?

I hope he knows where we are going, if not Neal Johns can rescue us.

Ken Cooke - 3-22-2015 at 06:27 PM

Quick question Ken. Is anyone coming to my house the night before the run? Just want to plan for time on where to meet you.

Thanks for asking, MICK. I am not sure what the guys coming from the San Vicente area are planning as far as a place to stay before the run commences. I will keep you posted, but they are concerned about crossing the salt water creek and the ill effects it has on their vehicles.

Cell Phone for use in Mexico

Ken Cooke - 3-22-2015 at 06:34 PM

Does anyone have a Cell Phone for use in Mexico?

My Samsung S3Mini features a locked SIM card for use only in the USA.:!:

ehall - 3-22-2015 at 06:38 PM

I have a Delorme inreach for 2 way satellite communication

You won't get lost following me, never!

Ken Cooke - 3-22-2015 at 06:49 PM

If we are following Ken why would we need any GPS directions?

I hope he knows where we are going, if not Neal Johns can rescue us.

Between Neal Johns' mileage numbers 66 and 77, you hit a succession of mesas followed by drops into shallow canyons. Upon reaching the Campo Victoria intersection, things get fuzzy - every time.

Campo Victoria is an old mining camp/foundation, "East across washes. On old AAA maps, circa 1978." This is fuzzy as there are a number of newer roads that have been constructed in the area by ranchers which makes the area easy to confuse the driver. I have GPS data that was shared by Russ Chung a few years ago, that I will dig up, and input into Google Earth. With the use of this program and careful driving, we will get past this section, and reach the bottom of the Summit (Canyon El Alamito). Canyon El Alamito begins as a sand wash at mile 79. Our route continues on the left at mile 83 - a, "hard-to-find steep road up bank angling from left-bottom to right-top of bank." This road has swallowed Jeeps, is off-camber, but with careful driving, is easily managed by any 4WD driven with good tire placement.

Can you hear me now?

Ken Cooke - 3-22-2015 at 06:52 PM

I have a Delorme inreach for 2 way satellite communication

This is an awesome piece of communications equipment! How much would it cost me to call from Mexicali to Progreso to order 6 soft chicken tacos and a Chicken torta from Asadero Morlan? :light:

TMW - 3-22-2015 at 07:04 PM

Ken my T mobile cell phone works in Baja and I also have a Spot satellite phone.

ehall - 3-22-2015 at 07:15 PM

If you got the phone number we can order tacos from anywhere in the world. The wife bought it for me for Christmas. She likes to keep tabs on me.

ChuckMRN - 3-22-2015 at 07:46 PM

I'll have my iridium Sat phone on the trip. I also have loaded the tracks courtesy of PaulW into the iPad mini with the G-earth cache. My nav will also have about 49 waypoints that will pop-up even though there won't be any map data. Hopefully it will help if needed.

Chuck

David K - 3-22-2015 at 07:49 PM

Ken, so either we go down Laguna Salada or the graded road, as if to Guadalupe Canyon... but instead of turning up towards the canyon, we continue south on the graded road to Cohabuzo Jcn. and beyond, yes? When I last drove it (2003) it was a super highway almost to the Mano Canyon jcn. It will be interesting to see how 12 years has changed it!

ehall - 3-22-2015 at 08:00 PM

Stay off the road to Guadalupe canyon, it will rattle your teeth out. The lake is way better.

Ken Cooke - 3-22-2015 at 08:01 PM

Ken, so either we go down Laguna Salada or the graded road, as if to Guadalupe Canyon... but instead of turning up towards the canyon, we continue south on the graded road to Cohabuzo Jcn. and beyond, yes? When I last drove it (2003) it was a super highway almost to the Mano Canyon jcn. It will be interesting to see how 12 years has changed it!

Hi David - I need to share the GPS waypoints with you. The ones from PaulW are better for a long-wheelbase vehicle, and would probably stop my Jeep cold. Driving up the "Bad Hill" could be detrimental to drivetrain components of vehicles loaded down with supplies and fuel. By going from Cohabuzo Junction south to Alamito Canyon, the route is easier on vehicles and less demanding on the terrain (Basketball Hill, for example).

I will make sure everyone gets GPS Waypoint data with their driver's packages. That way, if we get turned around near Campo Victoria, getting to Canyon Alamito can become anyone's guess! :lol:

Ken Cooke - 3-22-2015 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChuckMRN  
I'll have my iridium Sat phone on the trip. I also have loaded the tracks courtesy of PaulW into the iPad mini with the G-earth cache. My nav will also have about 49 waypoints that will pop-up even though there won't be any map data. Hopefully it will help if needed.

Chuck

Hi Chuck - Good to see you created an account! I also have an iPad. Hopefully, it works with Google Earth loaded onto it.

Pole Line GPS data
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69649&pag...

[Edited on 3-23-2015 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 3-22-2015 at 08:23 PM

I think people want to do the Pole Line Road not because it is easy, but because it is hard! (Like going to the moon in the 60's)

bajatrailrider - 3-22-2015 at 09:12 PM

I will know more in next few days to start ride,My mex c phone will work also my Usa cell phone.Mick could you Pm me with your phone number thanks Larry

MICK - 3-23-2015 at 06:57 AM

I will not be going with David k on Monday so anyone wanting to camp out Sunday on the river is welcome. Would like to get a count Ken. How many do you think will be staying at our place Sunday night?
Thanks Mick

Ken Cooke - 3-23-2015 at 07:35 AM

I think people want to do the Pole Line Road not because it is easy, but because it is hard! (Like going to the moon in the 60's)

I don't want to roll down "Bad Hill" because of my short wheelbase. It wouldn't be too hard to do near the top of the hill. :!:

David K - 3-23-2015 at 07:37 AM

Pole Line GPS data
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69649

[Edited on 3-23-2015 by David K]

TMW - 3-23-2015 at 11:34 AM

Ken where is this "bad hill" located. GPS.

Ken Cooke - 3-23-2015 at 12:49 PM

Ken where is this "bad hill" located. GPS.

Its located on the back of the limited-edition Pole Line Road t-shirts. Only $15 while supplies last! :tumble:

David K - 3-24-2015 at 08:07 AM

Ken has asked me to give a history talk around the campfire Saturday night and to bring copies of The Old Missions book.

I will bring a few and offer them at a discount for those who brave the Pole Line Road: US$15 or 200 pesos. Those who want one can also order them from our distributors ( http://DiscoverBaja.com Travel Club, http://BajaBooksAndMaps.com ) or from the publisher at http://oldmissions.com

Here are some geology maps of the Pole Line Road... "Camino Abandonado"

Below each of the three geology maps are the satellite images with the actual road track (blue line) that also is on the geology map to compare the map maker's placement with satellite placement:

PaulW - 3-25-2015 at 01:45 PM

More info for Kens trip.
KML, USR, and GPX file available just provide your email and I will reply.

My 2 buddies with buggies asked me to take them thru the PLR. After prodding I agreed and found an open day, 3-24-15. The word spread and the group escalated to 7 rigs. What we found was on the east end is was much the same as last year and in the mid to west end the rains made the trip most difficult. Lots of zig-zag to go around the big rocks that have raised up from the depths as all the sand went down stream. The buggies had no issues, but all the jeeps did. Mostly clearance issues and scraping over the tall rocks. My Bronco sits on 35s and did not have clearance issues.
There is a go around below the burned out truck in BB hill. Good thing. but it is still very tight below there.
The Zuk has moved downstream 0.65 miles. The wash at the narrows west of the new Zuk location is definitely impassable with very large rocks blocking the whole width of the wash. I am glad I got to drive the wash last year. It a neat view.

On to the real issue.
The ongoing issue with the ranchers is cattle rustling which explains all the new fencing and the many locked gates. The rancher has bulldozed a track to the locked gate previously discussed and made a nice turnaround for the hapless off roaders. He also placed a huge rock to prevent even a skinny rig to drive around the gate. So we went back to the last T heading SW and followed it to what is the wash that leads to just below the LG - Success, but much more wasted time. At the bottom of this wash we found and new fence with an unlocked fence gate. I would expect the rancher will lock it up or eliminate it as soon as he sees our tracks.
So you all will not encounter the issues we had to get to the summit, but let me say the old race road is no longer passable anyway it starts inside the fenced area, but we found the road - more much wasted time. None of us has that new road on our GPS maps. Metrics. 12 hours SF to K109. 1 hour for tacos in VT, 1.3 hours to SF. Anyway the following pics should answer many detailed questions.

Last chance to do the PLR IMO. Go for it.

Lock Gate overview

Lock Gate Detail

New Gate detail

New location for Zuk

Our group of 7 rigs

Zuk has moved 0.65 mile down the wash

David K - 3-25-2015 at 02:29 PM

Paul thanks... Maybe Ken will understand the maps as he is an old pro on the 1942 road, but maybe if you could add some notes or answer these if you think it would help?:

New Race/ No Race: What is the difference (ie. is one closed or just the older route)?

Bad Way/ Wash Bypas is this a choice of two roads after the Lock Gate?

The final map with the Suzuki... we turn south just before the Zuk? Do you have a larger area to show where that map is in relation to the rest of what you showed?

Thanks for the great work!!

PaulW - 3-25-2015 at 03:37 PM

Hi David,
Let me try to help
It is hard for me to explain, especially when I put my hat on to describe the route you all are taking. Shoot, it took several of us to figure it out by walking and driving around.
My descriptions are doing PLR from the east. I will repeat and show the way from the west or more correctly from the north.

The old race track that is portion W of the new fence gate which then heads up toward the summit. And it is now impassible. Both the impassable road and the new race road join up hill at a berm then head to the summit. The berm is a feeble attempt to keep someone from going down the impossible road when driving down from the summit. Bad way refers to the impassable road. No race is the segment of that road that is W of the new fence gate. Wash Bypas and Bad way are distinct roads that are common for a short distance at the NW end.
For your trip take care to choose the correct one. It will be obvious when the Bad Way turns W. Its not very tricky.
= = = = =
What I depicted is a way to get around the much discussed LG. Which is drive SW from a T with cords shown, to a wash then go down the wash to the new fence gate. Thus bypassing the LG.
Your trip will come to the new fence gate from the NE toward the fence gate and then S thru after opening the unlocked fence gate and up the new wash - then make a hard left turn an drive to the T Coords shown. Then make a right turn to get on the PLR. Follow our tracks and make it easy.
= = = = =
The Zuk is now a short distance from the turn from Jaquegel to the south into another wash. Coords are shown for the Zuk.
For your trip you will be driving N down a wash and making a right turn into Jaquegel and the Zuk will be on your left.
= = = = =
BTW. I forgot to mention another fence gate near the white tank. It was locked on one side and roped on the other. We just undid the rope and went thru.
Paul
====================

Paul thanks... Maybe Ken will understand the maps as he is an old pro on the 1942 road, but maybe if you could add some notes or answer these if you think it would help?:

New Race/ No Race: What is the difference (ie. is one closed or just the older route)?

Bad Way/ Wash Bypas is this a choice of two roads after the Lock Gate?

The final map with the Suzuki... we turn south just before the Zuk? Do you have a larger area to show where that map is in relation to the rest of what you showed?

Thanks for the great work!!

David K - 3-25-2015 at 05:23 PM

OK, well, I need to relax, this is Ken's safari so I will just be in the train of Jeeps in the middle and enjoy the four wheeling! I want to get photos of the cobblestone roadbed and any poles that remain standing. It is a real shame some were knocked down just to collect the porcelain insulators!

Oh well, as long as those of us who were told the stories write them down, they are preserved!

Thank you Paul!

TMW - 3-25-2015 at 06:27 PM

Paul are the locks single sided key locks like master lock?

TMW - 3-25-2015 at 06:29 PM

Paul it would be nice if you could do a Google Earth view of the locked gates and how we should go.

TMW - 3-25-2015 at 06:36 PM

I have a special gift for all that are on the PLR run. Something everyone who travels Baja will like to have. It's non-alcoholic.

4x4abc - 3-25-2015 at 07:45 PM

OK, well, I need to relax, this is Ken's safari so I will just be in the train of Jeeps in the middle and enjoy the four wheeling! I want to get photos of the cobblestone roadbed and any poles that remain standing. It is a real shame some were knocked down just to collect the porcelain insulators!

Oh well, as long as those of us who were told the stories write them down, they are preserved!

Thank you Paul!

David, the insulators were glass, not porcelain. I have a number of them. Will bring one or two to show on the trip. Found them around 1986. I also have US uniform buttons etc, but I can't find them (I have too much chit)

PaulW - 3-25-2015 at 08:09 PM

Paul are the locks single sided key locks like master lock?

Master heavy duty About 1 foot up in a steel cylinder

TMW - 3-25-2015 at 08:32 PM

Thanks Paul.

Ken Cooke - 3-25-2015 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

David, the insulators were glass, not porcelain. I have a number of them. Will bring one or two to show on the trip. Found them around 1986. I also have US uniform buttons etc, but I can't find them (I have too much chit)

I also have a glass insulator that I kept from a trip on the PLR. 4x4ABC is gonna be there! :bounce:

Ken Cooke - 3-25-2015 at 09:25 PM

Thanks Paul.

Paul - your research is going to save us some serious time. Thanks for your help with this project!

David K - 3-26-2015 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I also have a glass insulator that I kept from a trip on the PLR. 4x4ABC is gonna be there! :bounce:

That will be terrific! I love connecting with the past... it was real! We can only guess about the future!!

bajatrailrider - 3-28-2015 at 01:53 PM

Could anybody with c phone that works south of border Pm me with number.Ken also has my two c phone numbers that work,south of border.Plan for us three.Mike is plan to meet you guys US side (03 red Toyota TRD) Plan for me and Wil Meet Mex side,Hotel night before run,Then meet at your taco stand morning.Wils( Bronco 90s white soft top If I remember right.Me 14 frontier white Mex plates) Thanks Guys. Larry

4x4abc - 3-28-2015 at 04:27 PM

I'll be coming from the south to join your group

what day, what hour and where do I meet the group on MEX5?
with other words - where is the turn off into the big adventure?
HAM/business band - what frequency? FRS/GMRS - what channel?

traveling east to west - right?

dogs OK?

do I have to bring my own beer?

who is cooking for me?

a consolidated, updated information page would be great for an organized event like this

motoged - 3-28-2015 at 04:47 PM

This rig has some potential....you could buff most of that out:

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by motoged]

Ken Cooke - 3-29-2015 at 01:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Could anybody with c phone that works south of border Pm me with number.Ken also has my two c phone numbers that work,south of border.Plan for us three.Mike is plan to meet you guys US side (03 red Toyota TRD) Plan for me and Wil Meet Mex side,Hotel night before run,Then meet at your taco stand morning.Wils( Bronco 90s white soft top If I remember right.Me 14 frontier white Mex plates) Thanks Guys. Larry

Thanks for the update on your rigs.

ASADERO MORLAN #2 - 2 BLOCKS WEST OF PEMEX at 4 way stoplight in PROGRESO/Mexicali - HWY 2.

We will stop there for breakfast. Clean restaurant, clean facilities, GREAT SMOKE BBQ FLAVOR!

ASADERO MORLAN #2
http://www.justruns.com/gallery2/v/Run+Photos/112313/DSC0061...

Ken Cooke - 3-29-2015 at 01:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
More info for Kens trip.
KML, USR, and GPX file available just provide your email and I will reply.

My 2 buddies with buggies asked me to take them thru the PLR. After prodding I agreed and found an open day, 3-24-15. The word spread and the group escalated to 7 rigs. What we found was on the east end is was much the same as last year and in the mid to west end the rains made the trip most difficult. Lots of zig-zag to go around the big rocks that have raised up from the depths as all the sand went down stream. The buggies had no issues, but all the jeeps did. Mostly clearance issues and scraping over the tall rocks. My Bronco sits on 35s and did not have clearance issues.
There is a go around below the burned out truck in BB hill. Good thing. but it is still very tight below there.
The Zuk has moved downstream 0.65 miles. The wash at the narrows west of the new Zuk location is definitely impassable with very large rocks blocking the whole width of the wash. I am glad I got to drive the wash last year. It a neat view.

On to the real issue.
The ongoing issue with the ranchers is cattle rustling which explains all the new fencing and the many locked gates. The rancher has bulldozed a track to the locked gate previously discussed and made a nice turnaround for the hapless off roaders. He also placed a huge rock to prevent even a skinny rig to drive around the gate. So we went back to the last T heading SW and followed it to what is the wash that leads to just below the LG - Success, but much more wasted time. At the bottom of this wash we found and new fence with an unlocked fence gate. I would expect the rancher will lock it up or eliminate it as soon as he sees our tracks.
So you all will not encounter the issues we had to get to the summit, but let me say the old race road is no longer passable anyway it starts inside the fenced area, but we found the road - more much wasted time. None of us has that new road on our GPS maps. Metrics. 12 hours SF to K109. 1 hour for tacos in VT, 1.3 hours to SF. Anyway the following pics should answer many detailed questions.

Last chance to do the PLR IMO. Go for it.

Lock Gate overview

Lock Gate Detail

New Gate detail

New location for Zuk

If we have real challenges entering the Pole Line Road *and* long lines for FMM, we will really need Day #3 (Monday) to drive to La Ventana/Hwy 5. I'm hoping this isn't the case, but I am anxious to see what the intersection with the Summit Road is going to look like.

Minute 1:32 of 'Wrong Way' video shows region where we may have difficulties picking up Pole Line Road.

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 3-29-2015 at 01:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
This rig has some potential....you could buff most of that out:

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by motoged]

Minute 12:04 shows what the Suzuki USED TO LOOK LIKE! :O The sheet metal was straight! :wow:
The wheels were round! :O

Pages:  1