BajaNomad

2015 Baja Pole Line Official Planning Thread

Pages:  1  2

David K - 3-29-2015 at 02:21 AM

Mileages between arrows:

Bottom of Summit, begin Pole Line Road: 0.0
Arroyo Jaquejel Crossing: 14 Miles (14.2 exact)
T Intersection: 12 Miles + 14 = 26.2 total
Arroyo Grande: 4 Miles (4.3 exact) + 26.2 = 30.5 total
Up Arroyo Grande to Arroyo A camp = 9.5 miles.

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by David K]

Update

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2015 at 09:38 AM

5 days until Pole Line Run 2015. :bounce:

BajaTrailRider's friend Mike will meet the group at Pep Boys, Calexico on Imperial Blvd. at 8:00 AM on April 4th.

Free FMM papers are most likely not necessary for our group, as we will not be traveling far past the border zone, and our stay will be within 72 hours.

High Temperature will be a mild 88 degrees, Low 56 on Saturday.:cool:

[Edited on 3-30-2015 by Ken Cooke]

Keep those Jerry Cans empty at the border

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2015 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
Just a reminder that you can not go across the border with you gas cans full. all gas cans MUST be empty. They will turn you around and they will check. For some reason this is the only border rules that they always seem to follow.

Fernweh - 3-30-2015 at 09:43 AM

Ken,

I will meet you at the Asadero Moran place in Progresso

David K - 3-30-2015 at 10:01 AM

Perhaps if we all don't cross the border as a solid group, we won't be targeted en mass? Does everyone know the way from the border to Progreso? I think there is a sign for Hwy. 2/ Tijuana/ Tecate just after the border?

bajatrailrider - 3-30-2015 at 12:20 PM

We will also meet at for breakfast El Progresso. Need find motel night before. Ken how many 4x4s as of today. Lucky it cooled down little bit,Mexicali was oven 2 days ago. Is Asadero Moran just off highway

MICK - 3-30-2015 at 03:19 PM

Just came across the Mexicali west crossing. They did not even look at us. As for getting a visa, you do not need one if you are in country for less than three days. Even if you get stopped just tell them you are only going to be here two days and not going below la puerta. As for coming across together how will they know? There is always a line. Just come across in different lines and meet on the other side.

David K - 3-30-2015 at 05:00 PM

Destination: Rio Hardy! Sounds great, and true for many in the group.

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2015 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Ken,

I will meet you at the Asadero Moran place in Progresso

Great! Please meet us at the Asadero Morlan #2 located 2 blocks WEST of the PEMEX station on Hwy 2 (at the stoplight). There are restaurants across the street from the PEMEX station with a similar-sounding name that aren't of the same quality.

David K - 3-30-2015 at 05:42 PM

Here are details for finding the start of the run at the base of the summit, the way to Campo La Victoria, and avoiding the Paipai Indian villages... from notes from Neal Johns (GPS NAD27 MEX):

1974 AAA Map...

bajatrailrider - 3-30-2015 at 07:09 PM

Dont forget the T shirts Ken!

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2015 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here are details for finding the start of the run at the base of the summit, the way to Campo La Victoria, and avoiding the Paipai Indian villages... from notes from Neal Johns

That is easily the hardest part of navigating the run. Thanks!

MICK - 3-30-2015 at 09:56 PM

A friend went to. SF today and said they did not ask them for any papers at the check point. It is now semana Santa so my guess they will let up for at least the next two weeks. To many people, to much work

Neal Johns - 3-30-2015 at 10:00 PM

DK,
The PLR does not go up or start at Summit, It starts at Jamau Cyn. 31 36.502N 115 33.437W (WGS-84 given for Google Earth) Turn Left for PLR (going south). The only person that I know who has driven (down) Jamau is Squarecircle.

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2015 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
We will also meet at for breakfast El Progresso. Need find motel night before. Ken how many 4x4s as of today. Lucky it cooled down little bit,Mexicali was oven 2 days ago. Is Asadero Moran just off highway

Please write this info down.

Breakfast at Asadero Morlan #2 - located two blocks WEST of the stoplight in El Progreso.
We should arrive at 9:30 am

We will rest and have. Breakfast there. No hurry, no rush.

See you there.

Also, monitor CB channel 4.

ASADERO MORLAN NUMBER TWO

David K - 3-30-2015 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Neal Johns  
DK,
The PLR does not go up or start at Summit, It starts at Jamau Cyn. 31 36.502N 115 33.437W (WGS-84 given for Google Earth) Turn Left for PLR (going south). The only person that I know who has driven (down) Jamau is Squarecircle.

The 30 mile desert run on the old road begins as you say... historically, the Summit was part of the Pole Line Road to Ensenada from San Felipe. Of course now there is more than one summit... See the Lower California Guidebook for the original one.

It would be nice to have you there Neal!

[Edited on 3-31-2015 by David K]

4x4abc - 3-31-2015 at 12:11 AM

I have gone up that road many years ago - not difficult at all

PaulW - 3-31-2015 at 11:58 AM

Neal and David,
So the Pole line headed for the S smt. Neal's coords are at the Y for the S smt on all my tracks. So far I have been reluctant to do the S smt because i saw a write up about more locked gates. Then when one gets further down after the S smt I would have to drive thru at least two ranches as seen on Google. Yes I know Tom said the gates were not locked when he did the S smt, but that was quite a while ago.
Anyway, thanks Neal for confirmation about where the pole line went.
Paul
============
Quote: Originally posted by Neal Johns  
DK,

David K - 3-31-2015 at 04:40 PM

I am not well versed on the various summit roads south of El Mano. I know there are at least two in the Jamau region and the original Pole Line Road was used by Score for years, and they turned north for Cohabuzo Jcn. from the bottom of the grade... I am guessing that is Neal Johns' waypoint?

Roy 'TheSquarecircle' is the master at having no fear trying different roads or making his own... such as Harald and Karl also do.

Roy reads Nomad, but his computer has issues for posting I guess?

Dinner with Ken tonight...

David K - 3-31-2015 at 07:34 PM

Discussing this weekend's expedition with our team leader and trail boss, Ken Cooke, who stopped by this afternoon and had a Mr. Taco dinner with Baja Angel and I after work... Ken asked Baja Angel to take some photos of us... by our 4x4s... and act like we liked each other (lol)!

We are ready for some FUN in the BAJA SUN!!!

David K - 4-2-2015 at 09:13 AM

48 Hours from now we will be in Mexicali or Colonia Progreso!

Ken Cooke - 4-2-2015 at 09:46 AM

Updated weather report

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USCA0150:1:US

TMW - 4-2-2015 at 10:26 AM

FYI CODE has a night race on April 10 and 11 on Laguna Salada. Pre-running starts on Saturday April 4th. The cars/trucks race on the west side and the bikes/ATV on the east side of the road down the dry lake from Hwy 2 at KM29. There probably won't be many if any vehicles out there when we start down but just be aware of them. Some people can get stupid when pre-running.

Ken Cooke - 4-2-2015 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
FYI CODE has a night race on April 10 and 11 on Laguna Salada. Pre-running starts on Saturday April 4th. The cars/trucks race on the west side and the bikes/ATV on the east side of the road down the dry lake from Hwy 2 at KM29. There probably won't be many if any vehicles out there when we start down but just be aware of them. Some people can get stupid when pre-running.

Thanks for the warning.:!:

Ken Cooke - 4-2-2015 at 02:40 PM

I tried to download the GPS map from Code Off Road. Ni modo. We'll discuss our routes at the Driver's Meeting.

David K - 4-2-2015 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I tried to download the GPS map from Code Off Road. Ni modo. We'll discuss our routes at the Driver's Meeting.

Great Detective work!

Ken Cooke - 4-2-2015 at 09:13 PM

I always wanted to be a Baja racer.lol

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 4-4-2015 at 06:17 AM

I am in El Centro now. See everyone in a few hours.

David K - 4-8-2015 at 08:48 AM

Everyone made it out okay? Trip report soon... Epic adventure... Poor Fords, however. Some small body damage on my stock Tacoma... badges of honor from the Pole Line Road... or for the Ford Bronco, The Pull Line Road! All's well in the end, and all good friends helping, and road building, too!

ehall - 4-8-2015 at 09:47 AM

Haven't heard from Larry and Alma yet. They stayed till Tuesday noon.

bajatrailrider - 4-13-2015 at 02:18 PM

All good thanks to all of you.Best trip

David K - 4-13-2015 at 03:03 PM

Sheri is going to send me a disc of her photos from the trip, and said I could share them here on Nomad...

PaulW - 4-14-2015 at 07:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Everyone made it out okay? Trip report soon... Epic adventure... Poor Fords, however. Some small body damage on my stock Tacoma... badges of honor from the Pole Line Road... or for the Ford Bronco, The Pull Line Road! All's well in the end, and all good friends helping, and road building, too!

=====
Badges --- Yes, easy to get PLR damage. I thought I could squeeze down BB hill for our SF guy trip earlier. My HD rear bumper caught a big rock and resulting in the fender to get a deep scratch. I was leading and the guys behind me had to deal with the rock that I left in the middle of the road. Otherwise I now have a bent skid and a dented Trans pan from the bad hill where you all had to rebuild the road. I ruined a tire this time from a sharp rock thru the sidewall up by white tank. The PLR is not an easy trip. Btw, my Bronco ran fine, but has a history of a loose coil connection that is fixed for good because I glued the connector in place. This kind of road is much better suited to my lifted Jeep compared to the Bronco. Sigh---
Paul
PS did I say - Thanks to all for the great documentation for Kens PLR trip. PW

David K - 4-25-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
This rig has some potential....you could buff most of that out:

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by motoged]

TW and Chuck drove back 3 miles and 'liberated' the coil off of it, thinking that was the Ford's problem up on the mesa.

David K - 4-25-2015 at 04:48 PM

ChuckMRN's video of Pole Line Road 2015 (You Tube Search: PLR 2015)

Pages:  1  2