BajaNomad

Highway blocked at San Quintin this morning...

Pages:  1  

BajaGringo - 3-17-2015 at 07:46 AM

Farm laborers have blocked the federal highway through the San Quintin Valley in at least 5 different locations this morning, protesting over little pay, poor working conditions and abuse at the hands of the companies they work for. There have been some reports of minor violence and vandalism. It is strongly recommended that you avoid passing through until further notice.

We will be keeping up with the latest updates on our TalkBaja group facebook page if any of you are interested in following the events...

SQRoadBlock.jpg - 68kB

Bajaboy - 3-17-2015 at 08:07 AM

What?! Workers being exploited? I don't believe it.....

David K - 3-17-2015 at 08:24 AM

Another boost for Hwy. 5. Also, a way to NOT get any support for the cause from fellow citizens trapped in the line of cars, buses and trucks on each side. I hope the Desert Hawks or another ambulance doesn't need to rush anyone to the hospital!

DianaT - 3-17-2015 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Another boost for Hwy. 5. Also, a way to NOT get any support for the cause from fellow citizens trapped in the line of cars, buses and trucks on each side. I hope the Desert Hawks or another ambulance doesn't need to rush anyone to the hospital!

People all over Latin America expect this. This is how workers protest and make their grievances known to everyone. We have been delayed several times on Mexican highways, the main highway through Central America and even on a train in a remote part of Peru where the workers were sitting on the track. It is just what happens.

Thanks Ron for the heads-up---- good time to avoid the area until it clears, and it will clear. And good luck to the protesters --- they deserve better!

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by DianaT]

Pescador - 3-17-2015 at 10:39 AM

We are stuck here in Las Jardines and unable to move in either direction. We had a medical situation and were blocked at the south end of San Quintin. Talk Baja has current photos and there are reports of violence at several stores and vehicles.

motoged - 3-17-2015 at 10:50 AM

Nice place to be stuck.....unless the medical situation is serious and requires immediate attention.

Are there not any side roads that allow a by-pass to the protests?

Would it be possible to explain to protestors reasons for needing to get through?

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 11:19 AM

Road is blocked in Colonia Vincent Guerrero. woke to the smell of burning tires this morning. Looks like it may be a while. Saw trucks bringing in porta potties this morning. Most everyrhing is closed. OXXO store is open. We are stuck at the Mission Inn. Great modern hotel.

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by richard nauman]

DianaT - 3-17-2015 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by richard nauman  
Road is blocked in Colonia Vincent Guerro. woke to the smell of burning tires this morning. Looks like it may be a while. Saw trucks bringing in porta potties this morning. Most everyrhing is closed. OXXO store is open. We are stuck at the Mission Inn. Great modern hotel.

If it is open, walk south a bit and eat at Baja Fiesta.

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for the tip. Baja Fiesta is closed. From talking to people it seems that while they don't like the inconvenience of the protest they are sympathetic to harsh working conditions the farm workers face. Form the conversations I have had it appears that bussinesses are closed partly out of sympathy and partly for fear of rock throwing.

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by richard nauman]

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 12:50 PM

To answer David's question the ambulance from El Rosario just came through headed north with lights but no sirens. The protestors blocking the road allowed it to pass wirh no delay. I had not seen the fancy new paint job they have on the Halcones ambulance. Looks like nice modern equipment.

Whale-ista - 3-17-2015 at 12:53 PM

I have read in posts re other blockades near Mexicali that the protesters would often let visitors through, if they didn't live or work in the area.

Not the case for this situation?

JoeJustJoe - 3-17-2015 at 01:18 PM

Where is Cesar Chavez when you need him?

Of course Cesar Chavez is dead now, but I would say Mexico needs someone like Cesar Chavez to represent them, not only in the agriculture fields, but in other fields of work in Mexico.

Mexico needs a strong middle class, or any kind of middle class. Nothing stimulates the economy like a strong middle class. Unions helped bring about a strong middle class in the USA after War War II, and it could work in Mexico.

However, there is also something called the "race to the bottom, "because when Mexico or other developing country start talking about higher wages, and better working conditions.

The foreign corporations threaten countries like Mexico, saying that they will simply pick up, or move to another country where they could get away with paying slave labor, and even less than what they're paying now. It's a real shame.

chuckie - 3-17-2015 at 01:46 PM

How will they take the Tomatoes and Strawberries with them?

motoged - 3-17-2015 at 02:06 PM

Chuck,
Are you asking about the labourers or the corporations?

The corporations would need to do a cost-benefit analysis to determine if the move was worth the set-up and ongoing costs....maybe they would take all the bedding plants and stock....what do you think?

David K - 3-17-2015 at 02:10 PM

To answer David's question the ambulance from El Rosario just came through headed north with lights but no sirens. The protestors blocking the road allowed it to pass wirh no delay. I had not seen the fancy new paint job they have on the Halcones ambulance. Looks like nice modern equipment.

Thank you... Good for the ambulance passage!

Udo - 3-17-2015 at 04:45 PM

Does any one have first hand knowledge of the situation in Ciudad Constitucion and Ciudad Insurgentes.

They have as large a farming area as the San Quintin Valley.

Udo - 3-17-2015 at 04:49 PM

Many of you probably already know this, but the US is the largest importer of Mexican produce.

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

The foreign corporations threaten countries like Mexico, saying that they will simply pick up, or move to another country where they could get away with paying slave labor, and even less than what they're paying now. It's a real shame.

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by BajaNomad]

Bajahowodd - 3-17-2015 at 04:56 PM

On a certain level, the burgeoning farm industry in the San Quintin valley makes good sense. The folks that toil those fields and hot houses do not have to risk their lives trying to get to El Norte for similar work.

On another level, did the Los Pinos folks and other agricultural employers to really expect this to last forever?

When I go to the market in So Cal to buy produce, the vast majority of it says hecho en Mexico. These protestors will win in time. Too much money riding on it for their employers. And it may be especially significant in that the California drought has recently prompted one NASA scientist to predict, that without significant change, California will effectively run out of water sometime next year.

Mula - 3-17-2015 at 05:09 PM

A couple of months ago the Highway between Constitucion and Insurgentes was blocked for a couple of days.

But the road was closed for 2 hours and then open for 1/2 hour to let vehicles through.

It was a scramble to get through in that 1/2 hour!

--

Cisco - 3-17-2015 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Chuck,
Are you asking about the labourers or the corporations?

The corporations would need to do a cost-benefit analysis to determine if the move was worth the set-up and ongoing costs....maybe they would take all the bedding plants and stock....what do you think?

Ged.

Been a couple of years so I cannot ref it.

A farmer in the Imperial valley was unable (due to U.S. Immigration policies and the unwillingness or inability of U.S. workers) to get workers for his fields. (ever work a short-hoe? 112 degrees, sun up to down?)

He moved the entire operation into Mexico in order to keep being a farmer.

Say's he hates it. Costs more (slightly) in Mexico to produce and trans-ship produce back to the U.S. even though he has cheaper labor.

Has to deal with all kinds of U.S. Ag and CBP, DEA, ICE, inspections, forms, paperwork...rolling equipment for transport....

And the loss of income to the folks/stores/places of the Imperial Valley. In some ways I think we have shot ourselves in the foot on many of the imbecilic laws, regulations and programs we have instituted.

But, the rico get ricoed (???) and the Government gets bigger and more independent. The transparency is amazing. They do not even attempt to hide their indiscretions anymore.

toneart - 3-17-2015 at 08:13 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::no::no::no:

striking farm workers

bajatrailrider - 3-17-2015 at 09:45 PM

Today striking farm workers,shut down gas stations.From San Vicente to San Quintin.Blocked highway 1,looted market in Camalu,and burned it.Reported to me by many off road dirt bikes,coming to El coyotes.Lucky we have gas stored here.

Elena La Loca - 3-17-2015 at 09:53 PM

WB called Baja Cactus to check status of road and whomever answered reported they are closed. The highway is (evidently) blocked at El Rosario as well. Our ham radio contact who lives just south of San Quintin reports ZERO traffic (northbound OR southbound) past his place. He had the good sense to get out early this morning and fill gas tanks but reports that Cafe Michoacana (Carolina's @ Km 17) is unable to get to town to buy more food and has subsequently been forced to close....evidence this demonstration is "hitting" the wrong people. Ralph, our ham radio contact at Rancho Santa Inez is forewarning travelers in the campground there and we'll update him twice daily (or more often if the situation warrants setting up additional schedules)....guess those people could always tighten their belts a notch or two and head north via Chapala-CoCo's-Gonzaga-San Felipe if they just HAD to get north. Word from somebody close to FCE is that the protesters plan on shutting off the grid so all concerned are advised to prep their alternate power supplies (although I sure wouldn't wanna be the only house w/ lights on when the "darks" come out!) They've already stormed the radio station and shut them down. Rumor mill says their next point of "attack" is the Vizcaino area. Sure hope Pauline & Dern got south before the roads were blockaded.

[Edited for spelling on 3-18-2015 by Elena La Loca]

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by Elena La Loca]

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by Elena La Loca]

bajaguy - 3-17-2015 at 10:01 PM

Report from our intrepid on the scene reporter in El Rosario is that a convoy of tourist/commercial vehicles stranded in El Rosario will head south tomorrow morning early to try the route through Coco's and San Felipe as the rumor is that protesters may block the bridge south of El Rosario.

Note: From about 5PM to 8:30PM there were about a hundrerd police vehicles (Federal, State and Municipal) headed south on Hwy 1 through/from Ensenada

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by bajaguy]

San Quintin blocked highway

Bob H - 3-17-2015 at 10:02 PM

Just another reason to not go back down there. There just seems to be no ending of problems and corruption!!
Used to love the place though....

luv2fish - 3-17-2015 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Report from our intrepid on the scene reporter in El Rosario is that a convoy of tourist/commercial vehicles stranded in El Rosario will head south tomorrow morning early to try the route through Coco's and San Felipe as the rumor is that protesters may block the bridge south of El Rosario.

Note: From about 5PM to 8:30PM there were about a hundrerd police vehicles (Federal, State and Municipal) headed south on Hwy 1 through/from Ensenada

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by bajaguy]

Then they wonder why they get their assets kicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivhjAqnPCU

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 10:18 PM

Road still blocked in Vincente Guerrero. Lots of burning tires. Everything is closed. No traffic all day. Overall situation is mostly calm. Saw a SERIOUS looking convoy of an armored vehicle and 15 extended cab pickups with state and federal police makings filled with riot gear clad police headed south right before sunset. A small helicopter flew circled the road blocks late in the afternoon.

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 10:25 PM

Big group throwing rocks in the strret now. Does not appear to be protestors but a group of rowdy young guys out partying. Besides the convoy we have seen no police all day.

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by richard nauman]

DianaT - 3-17-2015 at 10:26 PM

Road still blocked in Vincente Guerrero. Lots of burning tires. Everything is closed. No traffic all day. Overall situation is mostly calm. Saw a SERIOUS looking convoy of an armored vehicle and 15 extended cab pickups with state and federal police makings filled with riot gear clad police headed south right before sunset. A small helicopter flew circled the road blocks late in the afternoon.

That may have been because the Governor was supposed to be in Vicente Guerrero. Hope you are okay with food.

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 10:36 PM

Thanks we are well supplied and the locals are taking good care of us. Yes the governor was expected. Things calmed down around 6 pm and the road blocks were opened here. A large group gathered in front of the hotel and waited for him. After the convoy went through and the governor didnt show they lit a bunch of tires and started putting more rocks in the road. Looks like this might go on for a while.

richard nauman - 3-17-2015 at 10:49 PM

Windows just got smashed out at Baja Fiesta Restaurant.

norte - 3-18-2015 at 12:12 AM

oh, oh....I got trashed for saying things like this.

bajabound2005 - 3-18-2015 at 03:02 AM

i am the "intripid" one is el rosario. getting ready to pull out of here in a few and head for laguna chapala and san felipe to get back to ensenada.

tecatero - 3-18-2015 at 05:13 AM

any updates on telemundo or ?? Glad I checked in, was leaving tomorrow early,,,

basautter - 3-18-2015 at 05:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the Facebook post also. This forum is the best Baja grapevine I have found!

Ateo - 3-18-2015 at 06:23 AM

What? No "work around" road like the one at Guerrero Negro to escape the immigration checkpoint? Just kidding. Sorry for all those affected.

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2015 at 06:27 AM

down here...everything south of guerrero negro is open

keep us updated please
on road conditions

SFandH - 3-18-2015 at 06:49 AM

According to this article, the Governor will be there today.

http://www.uniradioinforma.com/noticias/ensenada/329214/kiko...

MICK - 3-18-2015 at 07:00 AM

Pecador, I know someone near you that is a nurse and takes care of a lot of people there if you need something.mu2u me for her info. My friends told me that they could hear gun shots and were told the police were using bean bag shots.
Hope this settles down soon. No one wins from these.
Mick

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2015 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
According to this article, the Governor will be there today.

http://www.uniradioinforma.com/noticias/ensenada/329214/kiko...

That won't impress protestors unless he brings pay increases and meets other demands of the oppressed farm workers

Might as well say that the Easter bunny will be there today!

Ateo - 3-18-2015 at 07:16 AM

Talk Baja is reporting the road is open.

BajaGringo - 3-18-2015 at 07:17 AM

The highway is open and traffic is now flowing both directions. Just got off the phone with Jim (Pescador) who made the drive north through this morning...

ehall - 3-18-2015 at 07:41 AM

If it gets too bad you can come up to my house for awhile. Bring your bike.

richard nauman - 3-18-2015 at 07:43 AM

Large force of police and military showed up here at 3 am and quickly restored order. Convoy of many, maybe more than 100 vehicles, continued south. Road open both ways. Lots of broken glass and smoldering tires here. It was a long night.

Cliffy - 3-18-2015 at 07:50 AM

Driscol strawberries are all over the USA big time.

bajatrailrider - 3-18-2015 at 08:23 AM

What do you mean Ed,Im the one striking for more wages.I will report more today from our ride south.I think all is well.:D

Gulliver - 3-18-2015 at 08:35 AM

They should revolt. If I were there I would join their demonstration.

richard nauman - 3-18-2015 at 09:42 AM

Highway blocked again in Vincente Guerrero. Some traffic getting around on side streets. No sign of police. Long lines at pemex. Almost everything else is closed. We waited too long to leave.

BajaGringo - 3-18-2015 at 10:05 AM

Yes, after being opened briefly this morning, protestors have managed to form a blockade across the highway again in Vicente Guerrero. I have been receiving reports that a crowd is growing and they have starting pelting cars with rocks who attempt to leave the highway to go around the blockade.

Just moments ago an eyewitness reported seeing a convoy of police and military heading north out of San Quintin, probably in response.

Stay put and stay tuned...

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by BajaGringo]

richard nauman - 3-18-2015 at 11:16 AM

Tires burning now in VG. Very large crowd blocking highway. Different crowd than yesterday when protestors were friendly and mostly peaceful here. Lots of covered faces and young guys. I am watching at a distance with binoculars. They are boarding up windows at la mission restaurant

richard nauman - 3-18-2015 at 11:31 AM

Three pickups of soldiers came from south. We tried to convoy through blockade with them and other people from hotel. The crowd was too large for them and the road blocks were rebuilt faster than soldiers could remove them. Returned to hotel.

BajaGringo - 3-18-2015 at 01:53 PM

The highway through Vicente Guerrero is open again and right now traffic is flowing cautiously in both directions, although there are reports of no gasoline in Camalu or Colonet. I strongly recommend you wait if possible as they could close it again later without notice...

JohnMcfrog - 3-18-2015 at 04:24 PM

The LA Times had a piece on the protests:
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-baja-farm...

I hope that the link will resolve for those who do not take the Times, as I do. It was with some dismay that I read the original series on the poor conditions which plagues agri-business in Mexico. I always feel a relief when past El Rosario. The poverty and population density is a hard thing to see, especially when I feel the good prices on produce at San Diego markets may be at the expense of those workers.

I wish there was a way to buy certified produce that didn't involve the suffering of those who live in Baja and other parts of Mexico.

The original Times series... Hopefully the link will resolve for you. (scroll down to read article)
http://graphics.latimes.com/product-of-mexico-camps/

[Edited on 3-18-2015 by JohnMcfrog]

SFandH - 3-18-2015 at 04:30 PM

Thanks the first link worked, the second timed out for me, could be my computer's problem.

Does anybody know how much the field workers make per hour?

Blocked

bajatrailrider - 3-18-2015 at 04:38 PM

So today we came down from mountains,to Camilu.Lots of stores broken windows.Protesters,but zero problems,gas station open,but nothing else.About 40 unmarked white undercover police trucks.I know who they are.Thats why now road open,and no more problems.The guys in the white trucks,carry machine guns.Told protesters,yes you can protest but not block road,or loot stores. They did stop,very simple,or we shoot. Poor camp workers only make 8/12 dollar's a day.Be happy you dont work here.

SFandH - 3-18-2015 at 04:49 PM

A dollar an hour. :(

Hard work to boot. The farm owners must be making a bundle. Almost free labor.

BajaBill74 - 3-18-2015 at 04:49 PM

Second link worked for me.

Very depressing.

Ateo - 3-18-2015 at 04:51 PM

Excellent LA Times article. Thanks.

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2015 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
So today we came down from mountains,to Camilu.Lots of stores broken windows.Protesters,but zero problems,gas station open,but nothing else.About 40 unmarked white undercover police trucks.I know who they are.Thats why now road open,and no more problems.The guys in the white trucks,carryover machine guns.Told protesters,yes you can protest but not block road,or loot stores. They did stop,very simple,or we shoot. Poor camp workers only make 8/12 dollar's a day.Be happy you dont work here.

I have been following this closely. Thanks for posting. How are those tie rod ends coming along?

Bajahowodd - 3-18-2015 at 05:04 PM

Just maybe it's time for the Los Pinos boys to stop buying hotels and instead pay their employees a decent wage. We all know how they were able to afford the hotels, and I am certain that the protesters also know it.

But then, again, is this not really mirroring what has been going on NOB???

luv2fish - 3-18-2015 at 05:04 PM

Why is this in the Off Roading forum? Baja News perhaps is a better place?

"So today we came down from mountains" No roads in mountains :lol::lol::lol:

Udo - 3-18-2015 at 05:26 PM

About a dollar per hour.

Thanks the first link worked, the second timed out for me, could be my computer's problem.

Does anybody know how much the field workers make per hour?

7 or 8 Los pinos semis through San Felipe

akshadow - 3-18-2015 at 05:56 PM

maybe this is why I saw about 7 or 8 "Los Pinos" Semis headed north just north of San Felipe about 7:30 am this morning. Had not seen them before/

DianaT - 3-18-2015 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
maybe this is why I saw about 7 or 8 "Los Pinos" Semis headed north just north of San Felipe about 7:30 am this morning. Had not seen them before/

Heard that Los Pinos was grading the dirt part of that road.

Reports about the violence and looting is mixed as to if any of the farm workers are involved, or just others taking advantage of the situation or a combination of both.

The workers deserve so much more.

richard nauman - 3-18-2015 at 06:44 PM

Protestors marched south at 1pm and we headed north with no problems. Saw Aguilla bus and car that had been totally smashed with rocks in Camalu. Lots of broken windows in VG and Camalu but after that it was hard to tell that anything had happened. San Yisidro crossing at 5pm was less than 10 minutes.

Russ - 3-18-2015 at 07:44 PM

Seems like they could impact the growers directly as well

San Diego newspaper report on closure

Whale-ista - 3-18-2015 at 08:38 PM

Can't get the text to paste properly so here's the link: m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/mar/18/transpeninsular-highway-san-quintin-farmworkers/

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by Whale-ista]

BajaGringo - 3-18-2015 at 10:08 PM

Representatives of the farm workers movement along with community leaders signed an agreement to withdraw from the highway blockades but will continue the farm labor strike in the region, as long as negotiations continue. The only problem is that the crowds now taking over the highway blockades has grown into a quasi group of protestors, vandals and curious onlookers, taking advantage of the situation.

It will be be interesting to see the response of the protestors, vandals and law enforcement.

Stay tuned...

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by BajaGringo]

BajaGringo - 3-19-2015 at 07:24 AM

There is local talk that blockades will still be put up early this morning in Vicente Guerrero, which along with Camalu has been the center of most of the violence up until now. I strongly recommend you put off any travel plans of coming through the region until we see what happens through the next couple of days. This situation remains extremely volatile.

If you must travel, consider taking the Mex5 bypass around...

http://tinyurl.com/MexHwy5

Human topes

EdZeranski - 3-19-2015 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Good Choice!!

EdZ

DianaT - 3-19-2015 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EdZeranski  
Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Good Choice!!

EdZ

That suggestion was made when the protest was still very peaceful and the person to whom it was suggested was still out and about. Things changed later and I guess the restaurant was damaged --- the idea of human topes definitely could have applied later.

wessongroup - 3-19-2015 at 01:55 PM

When is harvest over ....

SFandH - 3-19-2015 at 04:07 PM

What's happening today? I just got an email from a friend in Mulege who said the beaches around Bahia Concepcion are getting empty. The snowbirds are migrating north. I'm wondering if there are a bunch of RVs backed up at San Quintin.

BajaGringo - 3-19-2015 at 04:32 PM

What's happening today? I just got an email from a friend in Mulege who said the beaches around Bahia Concepcion are getting empty. The snowbirds are migrating north. I'm wondering if there are a bunch of RVs backed up at San Quintin.

Sorry for not updating. It's been a very busy day today. Here is the latest:

Most businesses are still closed and only 2 gas stations operating with about a 10-15 minute wait for gas right now. More shops expected to open tomorrow. At one point a long procession of NOB plated vehicles began passing through. They may have been waiting north of Colonet/Camalu/Vicente Guerrero for the police/military to break up one of many blockades that still appear out of nowhere in a matter of minutes. I did notice that the grocery markets are open but with private security at the door. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of military/police presence throughout San Quintin, often driving together in convoys of 10-15 vehicles. Lots of rumors flying around too, that although San Quintin is now under tight control, in the outlying areas from the north of Vicente Guerrero to Colonet, not so much. I spoke with friends, business contacts, police and a military officer. The situation is still tense and they recommend you give it another day or two before trying to drive through the area because although they have a handle on it for now, by no means is this thing under complete control. Also the area is seriously understocked right now and that won't improve until more trucks can safely get down here again.

There was a lot of cleanup going on, including store owners not only removing the debris and damage from the front of their stores but also going out on the highway (when there was no traffic) and cleaning up the highway. They were sweeping and scraping burnt tires, ashes and other remnants of the protests. I also witnessed several instances of members of the community dropping off food and bottles of water to the soldiers and police out patrolling the highway and our streets. This is a very proud community and I personally am very proud to form a part of it.

The only large group of people I saw gathering this morning were at the Casa de Gobierno in San Quintin, awaiting news of the ongoing talks between the farm workers, government and growers...

[Edited on 3-19-2015 by BajaGringo]

DianaT - 3-19-2015 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
When is harvest over ....

It is not like the old days when the migrant workers came from the mainland just for a certain harvest season --- that was when tomatoes were king. Now they grow a lot of different things; berries are huge, so there are large permanent farmworker communities.

From what I hear from Talk Baja and from different friends who live down there, while officially the road is open, there are hotspots and it is not a completely stable condition in some areas.

bajatrailrider - 3-19-2015 at 05:36 PM

I have been posting this in the off road,for any dirt bikers out there.The 5 that came in very late at night to El coyotes,where out of gas for over 5 hours.Lucky our chase truck had extra gas for them.Also many people that know me, That ride dirt bikes.Went to my home looking for gas,They took all 40 gal I keep there.Thanks all you guys that left plenty of Money there to cover it. Also to Ken Yes I have Tie rods,I will go to Ensanada.To pick up custom drag link. I need a little rest,10 days on dirt bikes,no flats,no one hurt.I think this old guy never wants to see dirt bike again.Till after pole line trip.;)

bajatrailrider - 3-19-2015 at 05:44 PM

Also someone asked what farm workers make 8/12 dollars 8 hours work.1/4the time no work. The Mexican government keeps them penniless. If they had law 5 bucks hour,then ranchos would have to pay it.

News report on working conditions, violations

Whale-ista - 3-19-2015 at 06:29 PM

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/working-conditions-provoke-p...

Working conditions provoke probe, protest

Working conditions for farm laborers in two states have resulted in an investigation in one case and violent protests in the second.

Floatflyer - 3-19-2015 at 09:03 PM

Drove north bound through San Quentin this afternoon about 4 pm. No problems. Just on the northern edge of SQ there were some protesters lining the road shoulders, maybe 100 ft long with a couple of guys with a "donation can" in hand. Some signs, no aggression, just standing there.

ALL Oxxo stores were shuttered! Several areas had Riot Gear dressed law enforcement near a CFE station and a few other spots.

No big deal.

tecatero - 3-20-2015 at 07:01 AM

whats the verdict out there.....safe or on the verge of complete anarchy again ?? Heading south regardless in 24 hrs

chuckie - 3-20-2015 at 08:45 AM

I am going north through there Sunday..Durn the torpedos , full speed ahead...!

Bajaboy - 3-20-2015 at 08:56 AM

I say go for it. Too many rocks along Hwy 5 anyways:biggrin:

BajaGringo - 3-20-2015 at 09:36 AM

Traffic is now flowing again in both directions through San Quintin as the farm workers and growers are now sitting down and meeting face to face. As they are coming to some agreements, the calm is returning to the Valley of San Quintin.

My only suggestion is be sure to fill up with gas before you come through. We are still waiting for some of the trucks to make their way down as many of the gas stations are out of gas yet...

bajatrailrider - 3-20-2015 at 08:19 PM

If any of you get stuck in SQ again(and i hope you dont) it is very easy to drive dirt road around west side Highway.

Dirish - 3-20-2015 at 08:20 PM

Anyone have a recent update as i will driving thru here to get to south baja tomorrow

shari - 3-21-2015 at 08:30 AM

we decided to risk it and go through yesterday mid day partially because we wanted to see first hand what the situation was. We were cautious and figured if we saw something bad we could simply turn around. We would get worried when there was no traffic for a few minutes! There was very little traffic which was kind of nice. Thanks to Baja Gringo for keeping in phone contact with us.

Almost all the gas stations were open as well as businesses although some were boarded up. We saw my favorite smoked clam place had been burned down and there is talk in the local community now of helping rebuild it which is cool.

We saw a rally with maybe over a hundred people just north of SQ and there were people working in the fields too. The only place on the highway where there were a few dozen very happy peaceful protesters was south of SQ past Camalu and we made a donation.

About 3:45 we saw about 15 police cars speeding south with lights flashing so I'm not sure what that was for. So we were glad we risked it so we could see for ourselves what the situation was.

Got to Ensenada in 9 hours from Asuncion...hugged my grandson, had a beer and went straight for sushi! Looking forward to seeing some of you at the beerfest today...what we wont do to try some new beer eh!

I wish the farm workers success in improving their abysmal conditions!

(still looking for a ride south on tuesday or wednesday..maybe even thursday)

[Edited on 3-21-2015 by shari]

BajaGringo - 3-21-2015 at 01:09 PM

A tense-calm climate seems to have returned to the area with a majority of the stores and shops reopening. Military and police continue to patrol and although the farm workers will be continuing the strike until negotiations with the growers resume on Wednesday, they have agreed not to block the highway and have signed a pact of non-violence.

The biggest question for now is when will the flow of tanker trucks of fuel resume as many of the stations in the region are either closed or only open for a couple of hours at a time. Last I heard, Baja Cactus in El Rosario still had fuel but that can't last forever if the truck traffic does not resume. I'll post more as I have confirmed updates.

Let me know also if any of you traveling through see anything different...

[Edited on 3-21-2015 by BajaGringo]

Fernweh - 3-21-2015 at 01:11 PM

Just saw this:

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/gobierno-federal-simulo-rescate-de...

Mula - 3-22-2015 at 09:36 AM

The above links is about COMONDU and what was happening Friday.

We gave the farm worker 15 pesos and were given a bag of 4 beautiful beefsteak tomatoes.

What a surprise.

chuckie - 3-22-2015 at 03:35 PM

I am in San Quintin now, at Motel Chavez....Big crowd across the street being bullhorned by someone, not Billy Graham. Aside from the center divider being busted and some extra red barricades pretty normal...Lotsa cops....chilly

bajabuddha - 3-22-2015 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I am in San Quintin now, at Motel Chavez....Big crowd across the street being bullhorned by someone, not Billy Graham. Aside from the center divider being busted and some extra red barricades pretty normal...Lotsa cops....chilly

Con quidado, amigo... we'll have a martini for you right now to help calm your nerves. Maybe the guy with the bullhorn is Ted Cruz promising to abolish the Mexican IRS for them... :smug:

Bajahowodd - 3-22-2015 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Your bad for staying there what with so many better choices in the area.:lol:

chuckie - 3-22-2015 at 07:28 PM

Go worry about bridges....I have been staying at the Chavez on my way back and forth for many years...Your bad for thinking you know of a better choice...

shari - 3-22-2015 at 10:08 PM

chuckie, chuckie, chuckie....serves you right for not waiting another day for an experienced road warrior co-pilot!:P:

hey if you get stuck there, maybe I will catch up to ya.

chuckie - 3-23-2015 at 04:42 AM

Quiet nite, I'll be on the road as soon an my functions start to function..4:44 AM Raht naow..

bajabuddha - 3-23-2015 at 08:16 AM

Last spring I spent my north-bound night just south of San Quintin, and thought i'd try the 0-dark-thirty run to get through town before the main traffic hit. WRONG !!!! All of the worker's busses start about 4:30 - 5:00 a.m. to get them all to the fields at first light. It was the longest run I've ever had to get past San Vincente. Musta been over 50 busses constantly pulling on, out and off the highway; no passing possible, just one long slow caravan.

However, I don't think that'd be the problem at the moment, not too many workers headed for the fields today... but for those travelling through, Buena Suerte. I feel for the workers; Mexican economy is in the terlet right now, and folks are hurting. But all it takes is one idiot and one beer.

BTW, a big shout-out to Baja Gringo for help and information in this week of confusion and worries. Again, for your area you've come through with exemplary reporting of facts and happenings to Nomad travelers. I've emailed a few southern friends who don't follow the boards so word does get around. You're a good man, Gunga Din. Thank you.

Lee - 3-23-2015 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Last spring I spent my north-bound night just south of San Quintin, and thought i'd try the 0-dark-thirty run to get through town before the main traffic hit. WRONG !!!! All of the worker's busses start about 4:30 - 5:00 a.m. to get them all to the fields at first light. It was the longest run I've ever had to get past San Vincente. Musta been over 50 busses constantly pulling on, out and off the highway; no passing possible, just one long slow caravan.

x2.

Stayed at the Villas SQ, headed N. in the dark. Tons of buses. Knew I had made a mistake. I'll head out later next time.

BajaGringo - 3-23-2015 at 11:00 AM

All is calm today in the San Quintin Valley region and the gasoline/diesel delivery trucks are finally moving again. Fueling up for now should not be an issue for those of you coming through on the long haul. Wednesday afternoon is the next scheduled meeting where the growers are expected to present their answer to the representatives of the farm laborers. Thanks for all of your very kind messages of support.

Stay tuned amigos...

PS If you had any hotel/motel reservations made weeks ago, might be best to double check they are still available.

[Edited on 3-23-2015 by BajaGringo]

SFandH - 3-23-2015 at 11:50 AM

Thanks for the on-site reporting.

Here's a short news clip:

chuckie - 3-23-2015 at 04:42 PM

I left SQ at 5AM this morning..There must be a curfew cuz there were NO people anywhere...In Vicente Guerrero, different story..large crowds of protestors and lots of cops in riot gear....OXXOs all closed and shuttered....in one spot a bunch of people seated on the ground surrounded by cops.....I was glad to get out of there....In Gila Bend Az now....
 Pages:  1