BajaNomad

Which Points are the SEVEN SISTERS?

David K - 1-6-2005 at 06:32 PM

Can you name which ones are? There are many more points than seven, and perhaps a couple I have (north and south ends) are outside the SISTERS? Is it just the feminine names?

The names I have here appear on three maps (Lower California Guidebook, AAA, and Baja Almanac/ Mexican Gov't Topo)

From north to south:

1) Punta Baja

2) Punta San Antonio

3) Punta San Fernando

4) Punta San Carlos

5) Punta Camacho

6) Punta Canoas

7) Punta Blanca

8) Punta Cono

9) Punta Maria

10) Punta Diablo

11) Punta Lobos (Pta. Falsa)

12) Punta Prieta (Pta. Negra)

13) Punta Rocosa

14) Punta Santa Rosalillita

15) Punta Rosarito

I hope this is both interesting and informative!:yes:

bajaandy - 1-6-2005 at 08:18 PM

Grover, you hit the nail on the head. What a hoot! When this whole "protect the seven sisters" thing started to get out of hand, I couldn't help but think of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade... the "Brotherhood of the Cruisiform Cross". But I like your name better "Sacred Saints of the Secret Spots". Gonna' remember that one. Makes me wonder if there is some surf knight waiting at the point with a 9'-6" gun... (Read with an English accent) "Knew you'd come. I was choosen to protect the point, but now I yield to you who has vanquished me with internet and four wheel drive."

But on to David K's question: It's just a name. Ask seven different people and you'll get seven different answers for the seven sisters points. In general, the area somewhere in the middle of your list, if I had to choose. (Is that VAGUE enough???):lol:

Mexitron - 1-6-2005 at 09:22 PM

Seven Sister's? Rings a bell.......hmmmmm.........just can't quite place it......................:biggrin:

Heres the 7 sisters

JESSE - 1-7-2005 at 12:56 PM

Mexitron - 1-7-2005 at 02:33 PM

Yah Jesse, I knew I'd heard of the Seven Sisters before!! :lol:

David K - 1-7-2005 at 05:54 PM

Yes, that star cluster's name in Japanese is SUBARU! Check out the company logo. They even have a car called 'BAJA'!

Satellite Man - 1-7-2005 at 06:27 PM

This is a satellite image of the ?Seven Sisters? taken by a secret government spy satellite designed specially to spy on ?secret surf spots?. ;)

Happy New Year to you all!!

:)

Yup

Sonora Wind - 1-7-2005 at 07:38 PM

That's how it looked the last time I was there.:cool:
But I was looking for a LEFT:coolup:

Satellite Man - 1-7-2005 at 07:42 PM

Lefts can only be found during the very rare East swell.
:biggrin:

The Sculpin - 1-7-2005 at 08:38 PM

Oh man, you gus have it all wrong.....

Here's the real story....

Back when Leo Hetzel was starting his "around the world" trip (which ended with him breaking his leg in Hawaii), he went down to baja becuase he heard about these points that would fire on a large WNW. After much trial and tribulation (this was before Mex 1), he finally got to where he thought these mystics points were, but it also coincided with an unusually long flat spell. Being a patient man, he holed up in a little rancho around where El Cardon is now, and he waited, and waited, and waited. While waiting, he noticed that the rancheros from the surrounding area would come by once a week and have a little rodeo. This rodeo would last all day, and after sundown, a party would rage untill dawn. After a few weeks or so, he figured out the rodeo's main attraction. Since the rancheros all had to work during the week, he was able to avail himself of the charms of Rosa, Lupita, Carmella, Xoctil, Angelica, Karina and Catalina. After a few weeks of this, he made the realization that they were all sisters!!! Well, Papa eventually got wind of what Leo was doing and told Leo to leave or else...

Well, Leo never did get to surf the place, it never broke, but not wanting to disappoint Severson over at Surfer Magazine, he wrote this big article about how great the place was, and of course he named it the seven sisters!!!!!!

David K - 1-7-2005 at 08:52 PM

Sculpin, that is an awesome story dude!:lol:

Can you recall the year? Before 1973 if before Mex. 1 was built in central Baja.

Thanks for a great reply...!:yes: