BajaNomad

Handheld Marine Band Radios

SFandH - 3-25-2015 at 11:03 AM

I have a 14 foot motorboat that I use on Bahia Concepcion. I'm thinking about buying a handheld marine radio for emergency use and listening to morning weather reports out of El Burro.

Any recommendations? Not the cheapest nor the most expensive. I have 120VAC in the RV to charge the batteries. Are there options that I need / don't need? Is single side band reception standard / needed?

I'm heading down after Semana Santa. :bounce:

Thanks

bkbend - 3-25-2015 at 11:21 AM

Waterproof. Adjustable wattage for longer battery life. L-Ion batteries last longer and charge faster. Spare battery.

Pompano - 3-25-2015 at 11:22 AM

SFandH, in addition to the mounted ICOM VHF in my boat, I always take along a handheld ICOM Model 36 in it's case/holder. It's waterproof and floats...both very good features as sooner or later it will end up in the drink. Has exceptional long range and a plug-in for large antenna adaptability. Operates on battery saving low power to high power for emergencies. About $150, but better deals sometimes come up. Think quality, safety, assurance.

Has more features than you'll ever need. Has rechargeable battery pack that is quick change for a ready-to-use charged spare. To recharge just snap the complete radio into it's stand...easy peasy. Can also use regular batteries. You will want to monitor channels 16 and 22 in Conception Bay. You can easily adjust the radio to scan more...or all...channels.

Good luck and have fun in the Bay.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by Pompano]

TMW - 3-25-2015 at 12:17 PM

I have 4 of the Baofeng UV5R dual band handhelds I've used them several times without any problems. They are cheap at $30. I use a longer antenna because I'm told that the smaller antenna that comes with it overheats the radio when used for long periods. I don't know as I have never tried it. A friend of mine says he used his talking from Rocky point to San Felipe, but he may have used the mag mount roof antenna. If friends use it use the key board lockout feature, saves problems of pushing the wrong key.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_3?url=search-alias%...

chippy - 3-25-2015 at 01:13 PM

I think for the price Uniden makes a good handheld.

SlyOnce - 3-25-2015 at 01:34 PM

I am a sailor. From long experience, make sure the battery pack comes out of the radio, and that it can be recharged or also run AA batteries. Once your rechargeable battery reaches End of Life your radio can still be used.

I have such a radio, bought at West Marine.

Midland

bajaguy - 3-25-2015 at 01:58 PM

I have 4 of there and they work great

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Nautico-Waterproof-Marine-Radi...

Took one on a cruise and listed to ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore radio traffic. Also use them on our fish/ski boat....

wessongroup - 3-25-2015 at 02:23 PM

Baofeng UV5R ... and the battery stays charged a long while when not in use ... very useful tools :):)

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by wessongroup]

Udo - 3-25-2015 at 02:26 PM

Check on the Baja Sur Craigs list. Someone is probably getting rid of one now.
In the US craigslist there are lots for sale.
Other than the ICOM VHF, the WEST MARINE VHF has a lot of great press from users.

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
SFandH, in addition to the mounted ICOM VHF in my boat, I always take along a handheld ICOM Model 36 in it's case/holder. It's waterproof and floats...both very good features as sooner or later it will end up in the drink. Has exceptional long range and large antenna adaptability. Operates on battery saving low power to high power for emergencies. About $150, but better deals sometimes come up. Think quality, safety, assurance.

Has more features than you'll ever need. Has rechargeable battery pack that is quick change for a ready-to-use charged spare. To recharge just snap the complete radio into it's stand...easy peasy. You will want to monitor channels 16 and 22 in Conception Bay. You can easily adjust the radio to scan more...or all...channels.

Good luck and have fun in the Bay.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by Pompano]

Pompano - 3-25-2015 at 02:34 PM

Hi Udo,

I have 2 other handhelds from West Marine...a Standard and one of the stores own brand..a West Marine. I have used each extensively and while they are okay, I prefer the Icom. I shop SD West Marine a lot and use up a lot of their credits.

Martyman - 3-25-2015 at 02:54 PM

My West Marine corroded out in 5 years.

Pompano - 3-25-2015 at 04:33 PM

Ouch, Martyman, sorry you had a bad corrosion experience with your West Marine. Made me wonder about mine, so I just got it out of my gear to check it. It's been next to the salt since I bought it, so I was a bit worried. But then, I hit it with some Salt Away after each time out on the water....y'know..that stuff that Bob poo-poos in another thread. :rolleyes:

It's working fine after 10 years. A West Marine submersible handheld. Batteries are still strong and charged after lying idle for over a year. Knock on wood! I have a good working Advantage Rewards membership that helps with most returns...just in case. ;)

I still like the Icom, though, but that's just my opinion for the OP. This one works fine, too.

SFandH - 3-25-2015 at 04:39 PM

Am I mistaken, or do you pay 50% more for stuff for the privilege of shopping in a West Marine store?

Great comments about the radios BTW. I'm glad I asked. Thanks to all who have replied so far.

[Edited on 3-26-2015 by SFandH]

Pompano - 3-25-2015 at 04:47 PM

SFandH,

If you ask 20 shoppers about West Marine, you're going to get 20 different answers. I figure it's like anything...if you can find a better deal, go for it.

I like the stores because they're full of the things I love. Some are cheaper than elsewhere, but some are not. My choice.

I never let public opinion stop me from shopping at a Walmart or a Costco when the occasion arises. Hey, I like redheads, too...and that's a dangerous thing.

Bob and Susan - 3-25-2015 at 06:20 PM

...Made me wonder about mine, so I just got it out of my gear to check it. It's been next to the salt since I bought it, so I was a bit worried. But then, I hit it with some Salt Away after each time out on the water....y'know..that stuff that Bob poo-poos in another thread. :rolleyes:

looks like your radio in the picture is "coated" with salt...
you probably should have saved some money and used some "tap" water instead of "salt away":lol:

msteve1014 - 3-25-2015 at 06:50 PM

I have 2 icoms. The oldest one is 25 years. Replaced one battery in that time. Try not to let them go UNDER water. Rinse with what you have, but rinse them off.;)

Pompano - 3-25-2015 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I have 2 icoms. The oldest one is 25 years. Replaced one battery in that time. Try not to let them go UNDER water. Rinse with what you have, but rinse them off.;)

Yup, I agree. I have a huge supply of this stuff to rinse things. Even the big jugs to refill the spray bottles. I also use it to rinse off the Salty Dog glasses.....

salt away.jpg - 11kB

Udo - 3-26-2015 at 10:59 AM

I too have one of each.
The ICOM is easier to use, and that is the one I leave at the house in BA, and take out on the kayak.

Hi Udo,

I have 2 other handhelds from West Marine...a Standard and one of the stores own brand..a West Marine. I have used each extensively and while they are okay, I prefer the Icom. I shop SD West Marine a lot and use up a lot of their credits.

Hand held VHF

captkw - 3-28-2015 at 08:14 AM

As always pompano has a Good answer !! I Tell my guys & girls to buy ICOM or STANDARD only...nothing else !! And will not install any else except maybe a KENWOOD...A regular 25 watt 12V (13.8) is WAY better than a hand held..pretty much line of sight but a much better way to go and with a handheld as a side kick ...when you install a normal 8' antenna do not cut the coax to size..always leave at least a 8' lenth and coil and tuck away. and tie with zip tie's..your boat "tip of the Day"...K&T

[Edited on 3-28-2015 by captkw]

Alm - 3-28-2015 at 06:32 PM

Of reputable names, I think there are only two - Icom and Standard Horizon.

My Icom is Li-battery, holding charge for long time. You can carry a spare one, charged. Or - get a model with AA pack, there were some, don't remember.

Doesn't have to be from West Marine, and yes, many times I noticed WM charging 30-50% higher prices for the same stuff than other stores.

Hola

captkw - 3-28-2015 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I have 2 icoms. The oldest one is 25 years. ......If your radio is a Icom M5 your in the club !! that radio can be "opened" very easy to do and the bandwidth is very wide..u2u me for details

Bob and Susan - 3-28-2015 at 08:09 PM

i had a conversation with a company that makes radios once when I was buying one for my old boat...

they said never coil the cable...
cut and solder it to the correct distance
...do a professional install every time...

make sure a professional solders it...
an amateur will never get the quality of a factory solder

the real reason people coil the extra wire is because its easy
and most of us are lazy

coiling works but it shows sloppy work

as for brands...the guts are all the same these days...
probably the parts inside made in the same Chinese factory

LOL,,,,LOL

captkw - 3-28-2015 at 08:14 PM

YA right bob...LOL :lol:

Lengua - 3-28-2015 at 08:16 PM

I Have two cobras VHF Radios and both have GMRS radio frequency.Never had a problem .We are part timers in Baja and when we come back after 4 or 5 monthgs there still 100% charged. Great batteries compared to the Uniden I have and they come wit a double A back up and are water proof. My next chice would bve ICOM

Bobism

captkw - 3-28-2015 at 08:28 PM

ck/out shakespeare PL 259-CP and PL258-CP...myself have not had good luck with them and still solder my TX coax connecters and spray with "Deoxit" and wrap for solid install...PL-259 and 12V pwr connects are one of the biggest radio fails on smaller vessel....K&T

bajabuddha - 3-28-2015 at 11:18 PM

Here's a simple fact from first post; IF you wish to pick up Geary's morning weather blog, you have to be close / line-of-site to El Burro to get any signal at all with the mountains and islands in the immediate vicinity. I spent years 8 miles south of there, and even with an 8' whip to a base unit was iffy..... some days yes, some days, no, and that was mounted on a 16' 2x4 against my palapa. Out on the water I had a hand-held that also was compatible with terrain; have picked up from Santispac to just south of Requeson, depending on conditions of weather, etc., and of course, geological obstacles.

If you want the daily conditions, get a base-radio (as in, an in-boat radio in your home) with a BIG mast antenna; that's the key for picking up distances. Hand-helds are wonderful for getting the Better Half ready for filleting the catch on your way in.

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by bajabuddha]

Alm - 3-29-2015 at 06:23 PM

Bob, whatever you smoke, I like it :)

Icom is 100% made in Japan, there are no Chinese guts in there.
And, what "coiled cable" - I thought we were talking about handhelds?

The last post by Bajabudha is spot-on. Reception range of VHF handhelds is not that great, pretty much line of sight only. Listening to weather reports when you're tucked in some cove ashore can be problematic.

VHFs Waterproof, Sonrisa net Wx

jaymtb - 3-29-2015 at 09:12 PM

If you are using a VHF close to the water, as in kayaks, even the "waterproof" ones can fail at a bad time after a dunking. A good waterproof case is cheap insurance.
The Cobra with GMRS can be useful with smaller handheld GMRS units for communication where cell phones won't work.
It is a good idea to check the VHF channels used by Mexican Navy, Port Captains, Aduana etc before choosing a channel to use:
http://www.clubcruceros.net/CruisingBaja/Radios.html

Now that local fishermen have mostly four-strokes and 12v batteries, they have started using more marine VHF sets. This can be useful if someone needs to call for help. However, many do not stick to using channel 16 for hailing another station, and then quickly changing to another channel, creating overuse of 16.

The Sonrisanet.org broadcast weather that Geary does can be picked up online a bit later or heard live on SSB with a small Single-Side Band capable receiver (not VHF) over most of Baja. His site has links to Sonrisa and other long-range radio nets. You can hear the more astute cruisers checking into nets with with wind and barometer observations up and down the peninsula.
Geary does a volunteer service with his weather. He has been very helpful to us on long sea kayak trips. Previously, Don Anderson (R.I.P.) did this duty, communicating with mariners all over the Pacific.
BTW Geary has started accepting donations to help fund his work- see link on his site. sonrisanet.org

Thanks,
Jay

Thanks,
Jay