BajaNomad

cataract surgery in Baja?

rhintransit - 4-20-2015 at 07:35 PM

a friend needs cataract surgery, could do it in the states but time involved for pre, post, and 6 week check up makes it unfeasible.
any suggestions? La Paz would be easiest for her, possibly Ensenada. any suggestions/recommendations?

DENNIS - 4-20-2015 at 08:21 PM

I would trust any part of my body to Mexico medicine, except my eyes, given the option of US care. I have seen tragedy performed, twice.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 4-20-2015 at 09:14 PM

Hola,

there is a father son team in la paz. drs. lechuga

ask about them and you'll go to them. the son has the latest equipment and he is very well known.
i talked to a man in los barriles that went to him and had detatched retina surgery that he was told could not be done in the states. he said he could see perfectly and recommends any one to go to them.

the son was the one that he recommends.

sorry but i don't have his info handy.

someone on this board will chime in.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2015 at 05:22 AM

Oh my, there is a La Jolla doc who has THE MOST AMAZING clinic in Tijuana.

His name is Dr. Chayet. I have never ever seen more diplomas nor testimonials from famous folk as I did on his many walls.

The name of the clinic is CODET.

Both Les and I had our cataract surgeries there as it was covered by our U.S. medical insurance.

Padre Kino 10159, Zona Rio, 22320 Tijuana, B.C.
01 664 979 2020

www.codetvision.com

You will be so well taken care of. Absolutely first rate facility -seems like NASA.

He also does pro bono work, I send one of my scholarship recipients to him when we thought he had a detached retina. The charge for all the testing was 150 pesos.

rhintransit - 4-21-2015 at 06:54 AM

thanks, guys. great recommendations.
I'll have her check out both.

[Edited on 4-21-2015 by rhintransit]

mtnpop - 4-21-2015 at 08:19 AM

A friend of ours in Mulege had cataract surgery in LaPaz about 3 years ago... went very well as I remember.. Difference in hers and mine in the states she had a stitch she had to have removed in a couple of weeks,,, so another trip...
I will see if she remembers the Doc. that did it... He maybe more up to date now...
good luck whatever you do...

bill erhardt - 4-21-2015 at 08:53 AM

Dr. Juan Manuel Garcia Gil, Cd. Obregon, Sonora is an ophthamalogist whose main office is in Obregon and also maintains an office in Loreto. Dr. Gil travels to his office, Clinica Mayer, in Loreto once a month for appointments, along with his entourage. I am one of many Loretanos who have flown to Obregon for lasic surgery or to have implants for treatment of cataracts by Dr. Gil. In my case I chose the one week trip to Obregon for implants over a trip to the U.S. in spite of insurance that would have covered 90% of the procedure there. I wanted "premium", multiocular lenses that were state of the art on the day they were implanted, and that's what I got. Dr Gil has trained in the U.S. and has lenses flown from Houston, Tx. the day after he takes measurements in Obregon.
If you or your friend want more information about Dr. Gil or references from other satisfied patients in Loreto, contact me.

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2015 at 10:03 AM

We had no stiches removed. But it was a three day process. Once for pre op. Then the surgery and then post op to make sure everything was OK.

There was a pretest that cost $50 and then the operation itself was $1850. And the drops they prescribe cost $120 and I have an extra one since we live so far from the border and I was afraid to run out . Never ran out and the drops are closed,in original package and you can have them! I just operated last December.

The abuelita who takes you by hand, LITERALLY, to the operating room is the cutest thing ever. She is so comforting.

willardguy - 8-24-2016 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Oh my, there is a La Jolla doc who has THE MOST AMAZING clinic in Tijuana.

His name is Dr. Chayet. I have never ever seen more diplomas nor testimonials from famous folk as I did on his many walls.

The name of the clinic is CODET.

Both Les and I had our cataract surgeries there as it was covered by our U.S. medical insurance.

Padre Kino 10159, Zona Rio, 22320 Tijuana, B.C.
01 664 979 2020

www.codetvision.com

You will be so well taken care of. Absolutely first rate facility -seems like NASA.

He also does pro bono work, I send one of my scholarship recipients to him when we thought he had a detached retina. The charge for all the testing was 150 pesos.

hey blanca was the US insurance medicare?

alacran - 8-24-2016 at 06:38 PM

I will require one in the near future,can Ihave more info. About the Loreto office.
Thanks.

BajaBlanca - 8-24-2016 at 07:53 PM

no it wasn't medicare willardguy - it was insurance thru Les's retirement plan. Now he is on medicare and his other eye is going bad, so soon you can hear how medicare measured up.

The clinic in TJ is truly remarkable. I would absolutely positively recommend it to all of you.

willyAirstream - 8-25-2016 at 06:32 AM

Lens replacement...After giving up on the VA, 6 appointments needed, none could be scheduled together, so that would have meant 6 trips, I went to La Paz.
First appointment for exam and measurements. Lens are made in the usa and are delivered to La Paz in 5 days.
Second appointment is for surgery in the specialty hospital, the purple one near the airport, next to the docs office. Spent the night in a hotel and the doc removed the patch in the morning.
Third appt. is follow up in one week.
Fourth appt. in 30 + days for follow up and lens prescriptions if needed, in my case I needed them for astigmatism.
The hospital is a teaching hospital, first class rooms, great staff and state of the art equipment. No stitches involved. Drops were $40 from the doc and $100 at a farmacia, 4 bottles required. Doc was $1500 more or less. Highly recommend.
Dr. Fausto Miguel Lechuga Ortiz the son. I think the father has retired
http://drlechuga.com/en/
Appointments Tel:
(612) 124 16 51

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2016 at 10:18 AM

wow, Dr. Lechuga sounds simply amazing too - what an impressive website.

[Edited on 8-25-2016 by BajaBlanca]

del mar - 8-25-2016 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Lens replacement...After giving up on the VA, 6 appointments needed, none could be scheduled together, so that would have meant 6 trips, I went to La Paz.
First appointment for exam and measurements. Lens are made in the usa and are delivered to La Paz in 5 days.
Second appointment is for surgery in the specialty hospital, the purple one near the airport, next to the docs office. Spent the night in a hotel and the doc removed the patch in the morning.
Third appt. is follow up in one week.
Fourth appt. in 30 + days for follow up and lens prescriptions if needed, in my case I needed them for astigmatism.
The hospital is a teaching hospital, first class rooms, great staff and state of the art equipment. No stitches involved. Drops were $40 from the doc and $100 at a farmacia, 4 bottles required. Doc was $1500 more or less. Highly recommend.
Dr. Fausto Miguel Lechuga Ortiz the son. I think the father has retired
http://drlechuga.com/en/
Appointments Tel:
(612) 124 16 51

so was the VA gonna hook you up without it being service connected? anyone else had it done at VA?

Eyes

Sjsam - 8-25-2016 at 10:35 AM

Dr CARLOS Ibarra
la Paz
01 800 027 3582
612 129 4682

Out standing
De Lechuga is great as well. This is first hand info as I've been to both.
Carlos Ibarra is only in La Paz the last week of each month ,his main office is in Ensenada

willyAirstream - 8-25-2016 at 11:06 AM

Del Mar, yes, they did my right eye lens replacement about 10 years ago. Not a service related problem. Only 3 appointments all done in 2 days. Several friends have had it done with the VA.

absinvestor - 8-25-2016 at 11:16 AM

I agree with Dennis. However, the first hand recommendations offered here are very encouraging.

del mar - 8-25-2016 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Del Mar, yes, they did my right eye lens replacement about 10 years ago. Not a service related problem. Only 3 appointments all done in 2 days. Several friends have had it done with the VA.

gracias! I know where im going!:bounce:

JC43 - 8-25-2016 at 11:23 AM

First: Dr. Lechuga/La Paz started w/ eye surgery just a couple of years ago and basically has not the experience needed for surgery like cataract. He is doing it, yes, But............ > he messed up a friend of ours completely. Had to repeat the surgery and the second was not good either.
Second: IMSS in Cabo San Lucas! Frank, our friend in Mulege just recently had cataract surgery at the IMSS. A1 outcome. With him that doc did a vision correction. Before the surgery he had minus 10 on the right eye, now he does not need glasses. Both eyes vision clear and better than ever. Of course there is an exam before as a outsider company has to determine which lenses needs to be the new ones.
Outsider company b/c the lenses are ordered in the U.S. and IMSS cannot do that. All lenses do come from the U.S. - all over Mexico.
If you can get insurance with IMSS - which is easy if you got a relative who is insured - the surgery is fo free. And all services as well.

Alm - 8-25-2016 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
IAll lenses do come from the U.S. - all over Mexico.
If you can get insurance with IMSS - which is easy if you got a relative who is insured - the surgery is fo free. And all services as well.

Interesting.
I'm hearing all the time that getting onto IMSS plan is a no problem at all, and is easier than getting Seguro Popular, because IMSS is so bad, premiums are higher, hospitals are scarce-r, pre-existing conditions are not covered etc etc.

Though, if cataract was diagnosed before you joined IMSS it makes it pre-esxisting. Besides, it is considered kinda elective surgery, like a meniscus or hernia, so it's interesting that they can cover it at all.

JC43 - 8-26-2016 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
IAll lenses do come from the U.S. - all over Mexico.

Interesting.
I'm hearing all the time that getting onto IMSS plan is a no problem at all, and is easier than getting Seguro Popular, because IMSS is so bad, premiums are higher, hospitals are scarce-r, pre-existing conditions are not covered etc etc.

Though, if cataract was diagnosed before you joined IMSS it makes it pre-esxisting. Besides, it is considered kinda elective surgery, like a meniscus or hernia, so it's interesting that they can cover it at all.

I just talked to Frank over the phone. He is the one who had cataract surgery just some month ago at IMSS.
He said cataract is something which does not come from today to tomorrow. It comes over the years and he had no problem with this at IMSS. Nobody was asking him how long he suffered before the surgery. Even more, years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Surgery was not a problem at all as prostate cancer is a slow growing problem. He had some other health related things and never ever anybody was asking how long he had that problem. So, pre-existing problems are no problem at all.
But one should know that hospitals at IMSS are not equivalent to US standards. This is Mexico and $$$ are not as plenty as in the States. Only the Salvatierra (Segura Popular) in La Paz has more or less US standards.